21st Century

Guest Ferrett

Guest Ferrett

21st Century - Does anyone have any info on this group?

Had 'Coming Right Back/Shadow of a Memory' (Dot) for ages and love both sides, but recently picked up 'Every little heartache' by them (also on DOT) which shares the same backing track as Lucky Lady by The Jones Brothers. By the sound of the tracks I'm guessing 1969-70 for these releases.

Can't work out if they are a white group or not, but I have heard that quite a few black DOT artists had their sound cleaned up to make them appealing to a wider audience. Also sound a bit '5th Dimension' in places.

I know Coming right back also came out on a local label which (I presume) was prior to the DOT release.

Also, are they related to the 21st Century Ltd group?

Any help greatly appreciated

Ferrett.

Social source share

• Replies 16
  • Views 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Had 'Coming Right Back/Shadow of a Memory' (Dot) for ages and love both sides, but recently picked up 'Every little heartache' by them (also on DOT) which shares the same backing track as Lucky Lady by The Jones Brothers. By the sound of the tracks I'm guessing 1969-70 for these releases.

Can't work out if they are a white group or not, but I have heard that quite a few black DOT artists had their sound cleaned up to make them appealing to a wider audience. Also sound a bit '5th Dimension' in places.

I know Coming right back also came out on a local label which (I presume) was prior to the DOT release.

Ferrett.

The Dot/Noel group is Black, they are from LA and are the same group as the Pentagons (going back to the doowop days), Themes on Minit, and are connected to the Jones Brothers on seel/bell/avi. They have no connection to any other 21st century group (there are a bunch of them).

Social source share

Ferrett.

Noel is the other label release.

Social source share

Ferrett.

Hi Furry one, bloody wildlife gets everywhere! Nice toon got it on Noel, much prefer 21st Century to Minnie Jones but always get shouted down. Yeah and both sides excellent.

Social source share

Terrific records all of them & it just makes you wonder again, like so many other groups in our music, how they never made it big time. Luck plays as big a part as talent i guess ?

Social source share

The other ones are

21st Century/21st Century Ltd RCA/Golden Tone/BeeGee-Chicago group. Produced by Marvin Smith/Donny Hathaway

21st/21st Century Joy/Ultra-Detroit group produced by Chocker Campbell, were a later incarnation of all or some of the Royal Jokers

Dave, the Bee Gee and 21st Century Ltd on RCA were NOT the Chicago group, they're not the same group as on golden tone and the other RCA... I know it's confusing that there were 2 21st century's on RCA. There also was that gruop on gospel truth. The Chicago group did because the 21st creation on motown though.

Social source share

Dave, the Bee Gee and 21st Century Ltd on RCA were NOT the Chicago group, they're not the same group as on golden tone and the other RCA... I know it's confusing that there were 2 21st century's on RCA. There also was that gruop on gospel truth. The Chicago group did because the 21st creation on motown though.

Confused, me, never :thumbsup:biggrin.gif . I thought the Bee Gee group had Chicago credits, have to see if I can pull it out later. I suppose it must have sounded such a cool name back in the 60's/70's and as they were all relatively small groups, each didn't know of the others existance.

Social source share

Confused, me, never :thumbsup:biggrin.gif . I thought the Bee Gee group had Chicago credits, have to see if I can pull it out later. I suppose it must have sounded such a cool name back in the 60's/70's and as they were all relatively small groups, each didn't know of the others existance.

I don't think it does, but even if it does, it's not the same group as on RCA (I know one of the members of the RCA group).

You want more confusing info? The Marvin Smith that produced the RCA group is not the Artistics' Marvin Smith, even though it is Chicago.

Social source share

What about the 21st Century on Ultra City who did 'Hey James' where, if anywhere, do they fit in?

If anyone has a copy of this btw I need another mine has a stress crack, it plays but I need to upgrade.

that is not "21st century" that is the 21st generations. It came out on tri city and ultra city. They may be connected to the 21st on joy, though, just because both are detroit.

Social source share

looking at the credits on 21st Century (Kenny Goodloe) always assumed it was Soul Patrol given the vocal simlarity.

Paul

They are all part of the same lee silver productions, but I don't think they're the same group. Mike Noriega would know, he did that reissue with Lee Silver, I talked to him about it once and he never mentioned the Soul Patrol being the same group ... although I guess it is possible. I think that on Mike's CD there was a soul patrol version of a 21st century song or a 21st century version of a soul patrol song, I forget.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert