Pameline - The Detroit Executives - Cool Off

Dave Thorley

I have spoken to Popcorn several times about which is which, but he's getting old or doen't want to tell. I have it on a...
white label test pressing,
off centre white label test pressing
Green issue
Orange issue
Never seen a demo apart from the test pressing
What do we think!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by 45cellar
Artist Tag
Social source share

• Replies 19
  • Views 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

I have spoken to Popcorn several times about which is which, but he's getting old or doen't want to tell. I have it on a...

Green issue

Orange issue

Not aware it was booted Dave but there did seem to be loads of orange ones about at the time. I've never seen a demo either - or a test pressing come to that!

Not much help but bumped your post :rolleyes:

Best,

John.

Social source share

Green issue

Orange issue

All Three were bought Via Soul Bowl

I must have another look at the Matrix to try to determine if the Test Press is of the Green or Orange Press.

Pameline_2010a_G.jpg-Withdrawn Stock Copy

Pameline_2010a_A.jpg-Test Press - With "Best Wishes Popcorn Wylie"

Pameline_2010a_O.jpg-Stock Copy

I don't know how many Test Press copies they had,

I should have the List Somewhere where It was featured one week.

As I remember It, John was In close contact with Popcorn at the time.

Edited by 45cellar
Social source share

The TPs looked too new to me, I have a sneaking suspicion John got Popcorn to repress a few hundred, sign them and sell them. Technically re-releases and legal but not quite what we hoped they were. Pure speculation but I bet I'm not far off

Hi Ady

I have placed the three in the order that they possibly came out.

The Test Press possibly done as the Green Copy had the fault.

The senario that you mention has crossed my mind.

Social source share

Green issue

Orange issue

The green one's jump don't they ? Best ,Eddie

Social source share

I can categorically confirm that there is NOTHING wrong with the green copies except that they all have an excess piece of plastic on the run in that looks like it might have caused a problem, but it doesn't. Anyone who tells you it is off centre or plays with noise just has a duff copy.

Also don't forget it was bootlegged with Detroit Soul on the b side.

Social source share

I can categorically confirm that there is NOTHING wrong with the green copies except that they all have an excess piece of plastic on the run in that looks like it might have caused a problem, but it doesn't. Anyone who tells you it is off centre or plays with noise just has a duff copy.

Morning Pete

Thanks for that. Detroit stuff has always had a element of 'smoke and mirrors'. When you speak to the owners of many of the small indy lables, there is often fleeting mention of PEOPLE coming in and getting extra copies pressed on hot titles. But then realising what they have said, the conversation is moved on quickly :D

Although many of them are nice old chaps now days, you can just tell that in their day they were sharp operators. Many a shady story comes out when it's late at night and they have had a few beers :D

Social source share

Thanks Pete, I've never noticed anything Audible fault wise on my copy.

I am going to check but, that's what leads me to the Test Pressing being pressed after the Green Label Copy.

However, It is a while since I have compared all three regarding the Vinyl.

Edited by 45cellar
Social source share

dave,

I got all three in stock @ the mo'

All three presses came of the very same masterplate.

Although the green label one has a "thickening" of vinyl on the run-in.

GREEN first press

ORANGE 2nd. press

WHITE TEST PRESS is also from the very same masterplate, but these appeared at the same time as the orange presses in the early 70s.

I have had off-center green copies, but had more copies that are OK and have no faults. #

The "Withdrawn" story on the GREEN label, i've personally never had confirmed, i think it went hand it hand with the ORANGE repress to help sell the orange one as an original. They must have let a lot of GREEN copies hit the market before withdrawing it, that's all I can say.

John

Edited by john manship
Social source share

This thread made me smile, looks like all the hard core collectors have ALL 3 COPIES anyway :D

I have , I know Tats has, its just one of those records that you just love. i also suspect we all bought them when they were very cheap !! so as we were not sure we just bough them all :D

Rob

All Three were bought Via Soul Bowl

I must have another look at the Matrix to try to determine if the Test Press is of the Green or Orange Press.

Pameline_2010a_G.jpg-Withdrawn Stock Copy

Pameline_2010a_A.jpg-Test Press - With "Best Wishes Popcorn Wylie"

Pameline_2010a_O.jpg-Stock Copy

I don't know how many Test Press copies they had,

I should have the List Somewhere where It was featured one week.

As I remember It, John was In close contact with Popcorn at the time.

Social source share

Still got my Sillhouettes white test pressing!!!!!!!? JM what your memory of these

Dave

Subway Riders, Silhouettes and Little Eddie Taylor were all boots "commisioned" by "Colony Records"

NONE - are "real" authentic presses.

I remember Jack Bollington telling me recently, they told the guy who was booting them "stick them on any label" so he did, they came back on "White" (off blue) labels with no text whatsoever. They do sometimes get sold as "ligit" test presses but they certainly ain't. As I'm sure Jack and his partner (forgot his name) :D would confirm.

Social source share

This thread made me smile, looks like all the hard core collectors have ALL 3 COPIES anyway :thumbsup:

I have , I know Tats has, its just one of those records that you just love. i also suspect we all bought them when they were very cheap !! so as we were not sure we just bough them all :thumbsup:

Rob

RE: "one of those records that you just love"

Oh Yes, One of Popcorns finest, he Influenced so many Brilliant Tracks.

& That Intro. Perfection.

Popcorn Wylie = Genius.

Edited by 45cellar
Social source share

The green one's jump don't they ? Best ,Eddie

Hi Eddie my copy is ok , only played it last week at the co op club in Nuneaton , fantastic record, I love most of popcorns stuff , never forget my time round his house last October and we was talking about most of his stuff and I mentioned the mighty lover a kind of Favourite of mine and then he leads me into the back room where he's piano is and starts to play it priceless and unforgettable time , then in walks Betty winston with his tea.

post-2690-1196363105_thumb.jpg

Social source share

• 1 month later...

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert