Realistic Values For Canadian 45's?

What would be current costs for the following on Canadian issues, Helen and Alexander are in EX+ and Hesitations is Mint- except for small name on label, all in company sleeves:

Helen Troy - I Think I Love You - Kapp

Alexander Patten - A Lil Loving Sometime - Capitol

The Hesitations - Im Not Built That Way - Kapp

It's so difficult with Canadian Issues.

I only have a few Canadian Copies in the Collection However, Value ?

I don't know If anyone really knows Quantities of Production compared to U.S.A. copies.

In my Experience, I can't say I've ever seen Multiple Canadian copies of any Title,

and I can say I have seen some nice Items on Canadian Labels which is Obvious judging by the 3 Above.

One thing I do remember regarding the Canadian Pressing Plants,

The Early Canadian Tamla Globe Vinyl copies were considered of high quality.

Sorry I can't be of any further help.

Edited by 45cellar
Social source share

Hi Kev,

I'd rate these particular records as the same as US as far as price goes. At least that's what I would expect to pay/sell them for. I'm trying to think of a Canadian copy of a US issued 45 that prices drastically different and Im stumped. (Or at least one that I'd pay a lot of difference for). You managed a copy of my remaining Reo/Ric Tic 45 yet Matey?

Social source share

I had this very discussion with Martin Koppell at the Toronto Record Show. Just by virtue of population the Canadian issues must be produced in lesser quantity. Canada is still only at 33,000,000 people. He said that Canadian stuff was still not held in as high regard as the US stuff.

I have also found that early Tamla stuff doesnt sell as highly as I would have thought it would.

Social source share

I had this very discussion with Martin Koppell at the Toronto Record Show. Just by virtue of population the Canadian issues must be produced in lesser quantity. Canada is still only at 33,000,000 people. He said that Canadian stuff was still not held in as high regard as the US stuff.

I have also found that early Tamla stuff doesnt sell as highly as I would have thought it would.

I always thought that the Early Tamlas were worth collecting on Canadian.

As you know all on Tamla Globe but with the U.S.A. Numbering System.

Always puzzled me why they don't tend to be priced higher.

We see sought after rarities from Europe and Australia.

To find a 60's recording in 2007 in Ex to Mint condition,

produced in lesser quantity, surely not that easy.

Social source share

What would be current costs for the following on Canadian issues, Helen and Alexander are in EX+ and Hesitations is Mint- except for small name on label, all in company sleeves:

I found the label qaulity to be a lot better on Canadian labels , I got a mint September Jones on Canandian Kapp and the qaulity was far superior to USA copy

Social source share

Guest Pete Griffin

I like the Canadian releases, i have a Miracles -i love you baby, on reo records

and the Detroit Spinners - i always love you Motown

Edited by Pete Griffin
Social source share

Like Pete I too like Canadian Releases and I have:-

Garnett Mimms - Looking for you - United Artists (Plum).

Kurt Harris - Emporer of my baby's heart - Apex (Plum).

Bobbi Martin - For the love of him - United Artists (Plum).

Alaexander Patton - A lil' lovin' sometimes - Capitol.

Nancy Wilson - The end of our love - Capitol.

Eddie Spencer - If this is love (I'd rather be lonely) - ARC.

Marie Knight - That's no way to treat a girl - Columbia.

Wesley Paige & The Master Three - I've got find out for myself - Columbia.

& many more Motown & Capitol releases.

I personally value them at least the same as the American equivalent if not more, certainly in the case of the above Marie Knight and Kurt Harris releases they must be worth alot more, another one which springs to mind which certanly fetches more than it's American counterpart is:-

La Reine La Mar - That's not the way to love - Capitol (American Cloud Records).

Lets not forget The Steinways - You've been leading me on - Sparton & all those stunning looking releases by The Precisions and Eddie Parker on the Stone label.

Regards

Alan

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Like Pete I too like Canadian Releases and I have:-

Garnett Mimms - Looking for you - United Artists (Plum).

Kurt Harris - Emporer of my baby's heart - Apex (Plum).

Bobbi Martin - For the love of him - United Artists (Plum).

Alaexander Patton - A lil' lovin' sometimes - Capitol.

Nancy Wilson - The end of our love - Capitol.

Eddie Spencer - If this is love (I'd rather be lonely) - ARC.

Marie Knight - That's no way to treat a girl - Columbia.

Wesley Paige & The Master Three - I've got find out for myself - Columbia.

& many more Motown & Capitol releases.

I personally value them at least the same as the American equivalent if not more, certainly in the case of the above Marie Knight and Kurt Harris releases they must be worth alot more, another one which springs to mind which certanly fetches more than it's American counterpart is:-

La Reine La Mar - That's not the way to love - Capitol (American Cloud Records).

Lets not forget The Steinways - You've been leading me on - Sparton & all those stunning looking releases by The Precisions and Eddie Parker on the Stone label.

Regards

Alan

Some excellent records there Mate.

I haven't seen hardly any of them before on a Canadian Label, Marie Knight and Kurt Harris, loverly.

I remember seeing a Scan of the Steinways on Sparton and The Precisions on Stone.

Here's a couple of mine, Infinitely easier.

Apex_77055a.jpg

Brunswick_55353a_C.jpg

Edited by 45cellar
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Aren't Canadian Kapp vinyl? Got to be better than US styrene.

Social source share

Think some of the value thing is based on the same measurements as used on any other non-U.S. release, ie not the counrty of origin of recording. Simply as that!!!.

Some are even harder to find than the U.S. release, infact many releases world wide were pressed on tiny pressing runs compared with the U.S., but in the main are valued less. There will always be the exception people can point to, but most people want the first U.S. release. I love odd ball releases, one of my prizes is The Sweethearts-Beauty's only skin deep on Philipino Miro.

Social source share

Think some of the value thing is based on the same measurements as used on any other non-U.S. release, ie not the counrty of origin of recording. Simply as that!!!.

Some are even harder to find than the U.S. release, infact many releases world wide were pressed on tiny pressing runs compared with the U.S., but in the main are valued less. There will always be the exception people can point to, but most people want the first U.S. release. I love odd ball releases, one of my prizes is The Sweethearts-Beauty's only skin deep on Philipino Miro.

Thanks Dave

I think you are spot on here, Rarity doesn't always attract the High price tag.

I love the U.S.A. copies, which form the Majority of my collection.

However, I remember seeing a Canadian - Capitol - Gloria Jones - Come Go With Me.

I have the U.S.A. DEMO on Uptown,

From time to time I see other DEMO's for sale or in peoples Collection.

Uptown_732a_DJ.jpg

How many Canadian Copies of this have I seen on Capitol,

One, possibly two., and they were scans.

I wonder If it was a Similar situation to the London American Label in the U.K.

Where, If my Information is correct, they were Obliged to press small quantities of the American OutPut.

Edited by 45cellar
Social source share

By sheer coincidence I just posted a Canadian Velvelettes within the Blue Sharks thread...here it is again...£25 +P&P. :thumbup:

We actually started a Canadian press list over on RareSoulForum.co.uk...was at 250+ (interesting Northern tracks and not including Motown family labels). I'm always surprised but never shocked at what got released where, around the globe.

g.gif

post-9555-1195877043_thumb.jpg

Social source share

You may rate them at the same prices as US releases but in my experience they well sell for between a third and half as much...don't know why. I remember buying Sam's Candian Epic copy of Major Harris off him in 1979 for £22, that was a weeks rent then...

I personally would not want a canadian release any more than UK release for original US vinyl, I would never buy one (even at a much lower price). The only time I would buy a canadian or other non-US release is a) if it is a song / alternate mix not available on us b ) if the group was originally not from the US and it is the first local pre-us press or c) it comes with a cool pic sleeve. For example, I recently bought a german release of the Lovells on Brent that had an alternate, German-only b-side. I do understand how more specialized collectors (e.g. motown collectors) might want releases from other countries as an oddity, but I don't think that applies to most collectors. Everyone here is talking about the canadian releases of equal value, but I think there are a lot of people like me, which would explain why Pete gets a lower price.

There was that cool Charmaines 45 on ebay recently that was on a canadian label only, it had a maple leaf on the label.

Edited by boba
Social source share

I always thought that the Early Tamlas were worth collecting on Canadian.

As you know all on Tamla Globe but with the U.S.A. Numbering System.

Always puzzled me why they don't tend to be priced higher.

Remember a massive load of Canadian Motown releases were brought in by Bostocks in the early 1970's. I bought hundreds at the time which were available at Bradford, Leeds, Wakefield and Huddersfield markets @ 25p each - in fact I still have many of them sat on the shelves right now. Maybe one reason why they're priced down?

Ian D

Social source share

Remember a massive load of Canadian Motown releases were brought in by Bostocks in the early 1970's. I bought hundreds at the time which were available at Bradford, Leeds, Wakefield and Huddersfield markets @ 25p each - in fact I still have many of them sat on the shelves right now. Maybe one reason why they're priced down?

Ian D

I travelled all over in the 70's looking for records

Think I remember seeing the White & Black Tamla_Motown, I probably missed the Yellow Tamla thinking they were U.S.A. at the time.

I'm not sure when they changed to Tamla_Motown in Canada, Unusual to see the other Motown Label OutPut with the Tamla Globe Logo.

Social source share

I am not sure when they changed the label colours but the first releases were on Blue Tamla. Many of the items released on Yellow Tamla came out again on the Red, White and Blue Tamla Motown label, I have both of several items like Brenda Holloway - When Im Gone, Four Tops - Ask The Lonely, etc.

I have also had Paris Blues on Canadian Polydor, Jerry Naylor on Sparton, The Steinways on Sparton and Linda Lloyd on Columbia and although they reached decent prices they didnt get anywhere near the US version prices.

The only Canadian label that seemed to do promo's was Sparton.

I am actually going on Monday night to see a guy who has a 20,000 collection of 45's but he collects charted stuff. He has a couple of 1000 non charted 45's that he doesnt want? Price 50C each!!!

Fingers and toes crossed.

Social source share

I am not sure when they changed the label colours but the first releases were on Blue Tamla. Many of the items released on Yellow Tamla came out again on the Red, White and Blue Tamla Motown label, I have both of several items like Brenda Holloway - When Im Gone, Four Tops - Ask The Lonely, etc.

I have also had Paris Blues on Canadian Polydor, Jerry Naylor on Sparton, The Steinways on Sparton and Linda Lloyd on Columbia and although they reached decent prices they didnt get anywhere near the US version prices.

The only Canadian label that seemed to do promo's was Sparton.

I am actually going on Monday night to see a guy who has a 20,000 collection of 45's but he collects charted stuff. He has a couple of 1000 non charted 45's that he doesnt want? Price 50C each!!!

Fingers and toes crossed.

Thanks for the Info on the Tamla stuff.

Never seen a Blue Tamla.

Hope you find some great records Mate on Monday.

Some more Amazing titles, Inc, Paris Blues on Canadian Polydor - Wow! Gotta be Mega Rare Surely.

Edited by 45cellar
Social source share

I personally would not want a canadian release any more than UK release for original US vinyl, I would never buy one (even at a much lower price). The only time I would buy a canadian or other non-US release is a) if it is a song / alternate mix not available on us b ) if the group was originally not from the US and it is the first local pre-us press or c) it comes with a cool pic sleeve. For example, I recently bought a german release of the Lovells on Brent that had an alternate, German-only b-side. I do understand how more specialized collectors (e.g. motown collectors) might want releases from other countries as an oddity, but I don't think that applies to most collectors. Everyone here is talking about the canadian releases of equal value, but I think there are a lot of people like me, which would explain why Pete gets a lower price.

There was that cool Charmaines 45 on ebay recently that was on a canadian label only, it had a maple leaf on the label.

"

Bob,

There was that cool Charmaines 45 on ebay recently that was on a canadian label only, it had a maple leaf on the label"

I had the Maple 45 a few weeks back, although it suggests a "Canadian" origin with the Maple leaf, I could not locate any reference to Canada in the vinyl or the label, so I didn't describe it as "Canadian" in the blurb. It is the same group as the Temple, & Date recordings... is it a Canadian press? I don't want to add it to the USA Price Guide 5 if it is Canadian only... have you or anyone else, got any definate info on this? John

Edited by john manship
Social source share

"

Bob,

There was that cool Charmaines 45 on ebay recently that was on a canadian label only, it had a maple leaf on the label"

I had the Maple 45 a few weeks back, although it suggests a "Canadian" origin with the Maple leaf, I could not locate any reference to Canada in the vinyl or the label, so I didn't describe it as "Canadian" in the blurb. It is the same group as the Temple, & Date recordings... is it a Canadian press? I don't want to add it to the USA Price Guide 5 if it is Canadian only... have you or anyone else, got any definate info on this? John

The sleeve notes on the Gigi And The Charmianes cd from Kent makes reference to the Charmaines relocating to Canada after their contract with Fraternity had expired. It says Red Leaf was an independant label based in Toronto.

Social source share

The sleeve notes on the Gigi And The Charmianes cd from Kent makes reference to the Charmaines relocating to Canada after their contract with Fraternity had expired. It says Red Leaf was an independant label based in Toronto.

Thanks Chalky, the labels gave no info at all. that confirms it for me, thanks.

Social source share

"

Bob,

When I saw it it was on ebay and the seller was canadian and had a promo sheet too. it was a few months ago. Let me see if I can find it on popsike to see if there is more proof there.

Social source share

I had the Maple 45 a few weeks back, although it suggests a "Canadian" origin with the Maple leaf, I could not locate any reference to Canada in the vinyl or the label,

The clue was in the maple leaf I reckon. :D Shirley Matthews - Stop The Clock also came out on Maple, she was Canadian.

Social source share

The clue was in the maple leaf I reckon. :D Shirley Matthews - Stop The Clock also came out on Maple, she was Canadian.

I think both shirley matthews and big town girls came out on canada release before the US atlantic release.

Although this thread was not about canadian only releases, there are a lot of them, for example bessie banks on quality (plus the other stuff on the label like the sweet blindness 45s). For some reason there are a bunch of soul brothers six 45s in the mid 70s that only came out on a canada label.

Social source share

I travelled all over in the 70's looking for records

Think I remember seeing the White & Black Tamla_Motown, I probably missed the Yellow Tamla thinking they were U.S.A. at the time.

I'm not sure when they changed to Tamla_Motown in Canada, Unusual to see the other Motown Label OutPut with the Tamla Globe Logo.

Got a Linda Griner. Good-by cruel love on a canadian yellow tamla and it says made in canada by phonodisc ltd underneath the globes.

Steve

Social source share

Got a Linda Griner. Good-by cruel love on a canadian yellow tamla and it says made in canada by phonodisc ltd underneath the globes.

Steve

Hi Steve

Another I haven't seen, Nice One.

I may be wrong, but suspect that it is Extremely Rare.

If some of these Canadian releases were easy,

I would have expected someone to have Offered them for sale on mass, over the years.

Social source share

Hi Steve

Another I haven't seen, Nice One.

I may be wrong, but suspect that it is Extremely Rare.

My ex bought it for me for my 40th

Just found the company sleeve that it came in. got a few labels mentioned on it starts with phonodisc then delta, congress, regency, tamla motown , cadet , karate, chess , regis , checker , del-fi and audio fidelity so i,m assuming that phonodisc had the canadian rights to all the labels mentioned or at least the distribution rights. Anyone ?

Steve

Social source share

• 6 years later...

I've had Major Lance - You don't want me no more on Canadian Epic, twice in fact, sold them for about £150/180 a piece, they sold quickly but would have

expected about £300 for an Okeh. My Larry Williams/Watson - Too late sold for £51.00, in EX+ condition, small amount of writing on label for an Okeh

around £60/70.

post-4408-0-87798300-1391176160_thumb.jp

Edited by Chris L
Social source share

Hi Kev,

I'd rate these particular records as the same as US as far as price goes. At least that's what I would expect to pay/sell them for. I'm trying to think of a Canadian copy of a US issued 45 that prices drastically different and Im stumped. (Or at least one that I'd pay a lot of difference for). You managed a copy of my remaining Reo/Ric Tic 45 yet Matey?

Just for example taking the Ric Tic records released in Canada. I would price all the Canadian Ric Tic releases at twice the U.S values, same with the Edwin Starr's on Reo, and the J.J. Barnes (Real Humdinger) on Reo I would sell for at least 100 pounds.

Edited by selectadisc
Social source share

The best way to get this one (for me)...high quality sound and vinyl (as majority of canadian pressings I think)

Did they use styrene in Canada?

Good question ! Can't think I've ever had one, the Reo & Quality have been chunky vinyl. Worth having : Otis Leavill - When the music grooves on Canadian Mercury !  :thumbsup:

post-4408-0-50473900-1391205420_thumb.jp

Social source share

I've had Major Lance - You don't me no more on Canadian Epic, twice in fact, sold them for about £150/180 a piece, they sold quickly but would have

expected about £300 for an Okeh. My Larry Williams/Watson - Too late sold for £51.00, in EX+ condition, small amount of writing on label for an Okeh

around £60/70.

attachicon.gifToo late.jpg

I sold one of them to Richard Searling in 78 for £12 when the Okeh copies were around £2-4 as Canadian in those daywere rated as rarer!

Social source share

Couple of goodies on Canadian RCA...

Laura Lee 'To Win Your Heart' on a turquoise label with picture sleeve

Tommy Graham & Big Town Band 'Pick Me Up' on red label - terrific sound, dead rare, virtually unknown, well worth tracking down...

Just seen Laura Lee on Manship's auction list, but without the picture sleeve - expect it to fetch a hefty wodge...

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!