Bad Accidents With Rare Records?

Ian Dewhirst

No, i did not!!

I slapped it on someone's forehead, saying "This is the only known copy in the world!!"

i think it still is....sorry, was..

Have they still got an outline of the record middle on their forehead? "Hey whats that circle thing on your forehead, a birth mark"?

Social source share

• Replies 112
  • Views 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

the first record i really splashed out on was an unplayed black issue of tony galla - in love.

couldn't sleep for days until it arrived one sunny morning, opened the parcel (shaking with anticipation) and dropped the record seconds after it was out of its sleeve. cracked into several pieces, one of them the entire label w/out any grooves around it. still got that piece somewhere...

Social source share

the first record i really splashed out on was an unplayed black issue of tony galla - in love.

couldn't sleep for days until it arrived one sunny morning, opened the parcel (shaking with anticipation) and dropped the record seconds after it was out of its sleeve. cracked into several pieces, one of them the entire label w/out any grooves around it. still got that piece somewhere...

Benji,

I admire your honesty, some people return "accidents" for a refund..

Social source share

Benji,

I admire your honesty, some people return "accidents" for a refund..

hm, now that's an idea. even if i'm about 15 years late :):lol:

no, seriously. never thought of doing something like that and never will. i'm always honest and expect everybody else to be too. maybe that's the reason why i get so upset about minor things like people trying to get parts of their ebay fees back via a "small raise" in p&p?

Social source share

hi steve...pm me your address & i'll send it back to you,

If thats you Trev then I take it you found a way of ungluing it and sticking it together the right way round :rolleyes:

I'll pm ya but if you send me it in bits or glued together unplayable then.............................. :(:(

Social source share

Here's a good one, nothing really to do with Northern Soul, but it is a monster Soul record. I bought an original 7" acetate one sided promo of 'Jocelyn Brown - Somebody else's guy' from local shop. I was buzzing when I found it SOOOO RARE!! I only paid a few quid for it cos the guy in the shop thought it was a bootleg :P. I got it home and being an old acetate was quite crackly, so in my infinate wisdom, I decided to clean it up with record cleaner. Got it looking nice and shiny and popped it on the deck, and lo and behold, it sounded a million times worse! Couldn't do anything elese with it so after crying for an hour, i decided to frame it as a keepsake along with the original reaction report form from Island records from 1984 with the contact name of Adrian Sykes. This might interest Ian D as i think he had a stint with Island records at one time. Anyway, here's a piccy of the framed object.

jocelyn.jpg

Edited by steveluigi
Social source share

Yep, never clean records when you're hyped-up for a set. I've been known to rip door handles off in my excitement to get to a gig and caused many a minor accident to myself when over-enthused. The could have been my old copy Steve.......another one bites the dust.......

Ian D

Ian, does the time at 'Amnesia' in Leeds ring any balls (oops) bells, when you slipped down the ladder from the DJ stand LOL :P
Social source share

Here's a good one, nothing really to do with Northern Soul, but it is a monster Soul record. I bought an original 7" acetate one sided promo of 'Jocelyn Brown - Somebody else's guy' from local shop. I was buzzing when I found it SOOOO RARE!! I only paid a few quid for it cos the guy in the shop thought it was a bootleg :P . I got it home and being an old acetate was quite crackly, so in my infinate wisdom, I decided to clean it up with record cleaner. Got it looking nice and shiny and popped it on the deck, and lo and behold, it sounded a million times worse! Couldn't do anything elese with it so after crying for an hour, i decided to frame it as a keepsake along with the original reaction report form from Island records from 1984 with the contact name of Adrian Sykes.

Adrian Sykes? Top man, it's thanks to him I had so many good tunes to play on my radio shows back in the 80's, he later went to MCA when they were in Soho. Haven't heard of him for years now, seem to remember he was a big supporter of one of the North London footie teams...maybe one day I'll tell the long and involved story of how one of Adrians best mates, and at the time at number one in the charts, was stuck, ticketless, outside a record company bash that Sykesy was hosting, begging me to get him in...and how I emerged an hour later with pockets bulging with bottles for my mate who couldn't get in either. Oh for the excesses of the late 80's, even if the Northern side of things had temporarily taken a back seat!

Social source share

Guest Gavin Page

hi gav...it wasnt the del-larks it was checkerboard squares, wid glued it back together with lolipop sticks bracing the cracks

That's it ! Knew there was some story :P

Didn't he break it, when it was sticking up in Dave's play box at the 100 club and Pete came up on stage and put his hand down on it ? If you get my drift ?

:shades:

Edited by Gavin Page
Social source share

That's it ! Knew there was some story :P

Didn't he break it, when it was sticking up in Dave's play box at the 100 club and Pete came up on stage and put his hand down on it ? If you get my drift ?

:shades:

yeah, something along those lines, wid did a pretty good repair job on it, it plays fine, albeit with the odd click here & there

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert