Collecting 60s Us Capitol 45s

Russoul1

hi all, been collecting a few 60s capitol 45s over the past couple of years, uptempo/mid tempo

issues or demos. seems to be a abundance of quality tunes so am asking for any recommendations

which i havnt acquired or dont know. im not so interested in the more known artists, but the more obscure

or lesser known 45s upto the list price of £100.

any help please even soundclips

many thanks

russ

Social source share

• Replies 43
  • Views 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

hi all, been collecting a few 60s capitol 45s over the past couple of years, uptempo/mid tempo

issues or demos. seems to be a abundance of quality tunes so am asking for any recommendations

which i havnt acquired or dont know. im not so interested in the more known artists, but the more obscure

many thanks

russ

Russ

One I have rated for years - Jay Lewis 'Should I come back' great vocal & production

buy it blind, it really is great! I have a couple of spares :thumbsup:

regards

paul

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Frank Polk "Years Of Tears" - absolute killer, and not too expensive either. His best record, perhaps...

Billy Preston - "Let The Music Play" - ditto everything I said about Frank Polk

Robert Mosley - "Goodbye My Lover Goodbye"/"Crazy 'Bout My Baby" - one of the best soul double siders on the whole label. 'Big City' at its finest, the A side is the original of Jimmy Hughes, the flip was also done - rather well, I might add - by the Swingin' Blue Jeans.

Gil Hamilton - "Tell Her" - the first issued version of the Exciters' "Tell Him" (the original, unreleased - and now sadly lost - version was by Sylvia "Tutti" Hill, and would also have been on Capitol if they had issued it). Artist is also Johnny Thunder on Diamond (GH is his real name)

Cilla Black - "I've Been Wrong Before" - one of the most soulful records I know of, regardless of the fact that it's by Cilla. Was on Parlophone here, but did get a US issue on Capitol.

You probably know most or all of those, but I thought I'd mention them anyway in case other Sourcers don't...

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Who did this originally Tony? I've always loved the Dusty version. Georgeous song :thumbsup:

Cilla's is the original, believe it or not. Other than the song's writer Randy Newman's orginal publishers' demo, I guess...

Cilla's record is absolutely stupendous, BTW - I'm getting chills up and down my spine just thinking about it!

Social source share

Cilla's is the original, believe it or not. Other than the song's writer Randy Newman's orginal publishers' demo, I guess...

Cilla's record is absolutely stupendous, BTW - I'm getting chills up and down my spine just thinking about it!

Gotta agree with you Tone, I've just had a listen to it after a century and it is fab and gear :thumbsup:

Social source share

many thanks

russ

I like the two duncan brothers 45s on the label.

Social source share

many thanks

russ

Cindy Malone "Try to understand" is an excellent midtempo number, worth buying blind IMO :thumbup:

Social source share

Frank Polk "Years Of Tears" - absolute killer, and not too expensive either. His best record, perhaps...

I have all 5 frank polks on capitol, I agree with Tony but the other track I like is "trying to keep up with the joneses." The rivingtons versions of years of tears is good too.

Social source share

Cindy Malone "Try to understand" is an excellent midtempo number, worth buying blind IMO :thumbup:

Fair version as is her take on "Is it over Baby".

Tony Diamond is worth a punt, Sam & Iridescents, Canonball & Headhunters "Mean So Much", Patti Drew "Stop & Listen", Willie Hightowers' output especially "Because, I Love You", Ike Lovely is not bad too.

Social source share

Fair version as is her take on "Is it over Baby".

Tony Diamond is worth a punt, Sam & Iridescents, Canonball & Headhunters "Mean So Much", Patti Drew "Stop & Listen", Willie Hightowers' output especially "Because, I Love You", Ike Lovely is not bad too.

I forgot about the chicago stuff until your post! Obviously all the drew-vels are great, there is patty drew "he's the one I love" and "tell him", phases on capitol, congenial four on capitol (one of the best sweet soul records with a crazy rap in it).

Social source share

I forgot about the chicago stuff until your post! Obviously all the drew-vels are great, there is patty drew "he's the one I love" and "tell him", phases on capitol, congenial four on capitol (one of the best sweet soul records with a crazy rap in it).

also, Tommy Lee "that's the way I want to live my life" is nice

Social source share

thanks for all the input into this folks, keep em coming loads of stuff ive not heard, even acquired

another cracking capitol 45 of this thread :thumbup:

have got the cindy malone 45s, pattie drew, thrills, tina mason, bunny shivel, thelma houston etc

also love "cry" teddy greene, "kissin her and crying for you" checkmates ltd, "ive got news" magnificent

men.

regards

russ

Social source share

thanks for all the input into this folks, keep em coming loads of stuff ive not heard, even acquired

another cracking capitol 45 of this thread :thumbup:

have got the cindy malone 45s, pattie drew, thrills, tina mason, bunny shivel, thelma houston etc

also love "cry" teddy greene, "kissin her and crying for you" checkmates ltd, "ive got news" magnificent

men.

regards

russ

=====

outsiders - ill give you time and we'll never make it - 2 cracking dancers ..one from wigan and one from Stafford!

regards

mark

Social source share

Russ

One I have rated for years - Jay Lewis 'Should I come back' great vocal & production

buy it blind, it really is great! I have a couple of spares :thumbup:

regards

paul

Couldn't agree more Paul. :thumbsup:

Got one soon after you played down at The Vic a coupla years back, always play it out, and now Steve and Knockers both giving it some stick as well.

Good cheap 'un from Nancy Wilson while we're at it.

Don't Look Over your Shoulder :yes:

ATB

Tony

Social source share

This is 70ts and both sides a great one of my favourite tunes, Shit into space what a lyric

Verdelle Smith A Piece Of The Sky, Outsiders LP.

Edited by Prophonics 2029
Social source share

Guest Johnny Mack

Daisies - Cold wave

Soul Aggregation - Cant find Love

Exception - You always hurt me

Eddie Armen - Eddies Groove

Lou Rawls - Bring me all your heartaches and House next door

Thrills - What can go wrong

Willie Tee's 45 output on Capitol is all good - the album in particular has some great tracks which didnt find release on 45

Alaina Reed - Dont let me fall in love alone

Social source share

another cracking capitol 45 of this thread :D

men.

regards

russ

hear hear, it's great to read people tipping their faves with such passion, I've got 2 new 45's on order myself because of this thread so far.

Another one of note is Pete Smith's fab tip Mary Sneed- when I was 15 - which is a brilliant 'Liz Verdi-esque' dancer and another Capitol fave of mine is Merry Clayton's absolutely belting version of Beg me.

Social source share

I'd like to recommend these if you haven't heard them:

Ike Lovely - I Want It All

Blues Busters - I've Gotta Get There

Bettye Swann - My Heart Is Closed For The Season

Jodi Mathis - God Is Love

Buddy Causey - There's A Way

Buddy Causey is my top want at the moment, anyone got one for sale??

Blake

Social source share

HB Barnum - The record , Tommy Hunt - I'll make you happy , Doris Troy - Face up to the truth , Ruben Wright - I'm walking out on you ,The Magnificent Men - Peace of mind / All your lovin's gone to my head , Frank Polk - Welcome home baby [ flip of " Jones's" ] ,Bobby Sheen - Sweet sweet love [ flip of Dr love ] , Lou Lawton - Wrapped in a dream ,Lou Rawls - Love is a hurting thing ,.Hope these give you something to look for , Best ,Eddie

Social source share

Russ

buy it blind, it really is great! I have a couple of spares :ohmy:

regards

paul

thanks paul for this one, arrived today and im pleased to say it sits very nicely

in amongst the building capitol collection. top tune highly recomended :lol:

regards

russ

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert