Playing Rare Originals @ Venues: Does It Make Sense?

I finished my spot by playing 'Lovers Melody' by Will Downing featuring Roy Ayers off a CD as thats all it is available on (2007 release on CD only).

Both tracks filled the floor & no one came up to the decks to have a nosey & both tracks sounded great.

Earlier in my spot I played the Michael Proctor & the Muthafunkaz remix of Fall down off a CDR.

This is the only format it is available on as it was re-mixed for Julia Nicoll & myself by Barry Sharp & we are the only people with a copy.

Should I not play it & deprive people of hearing & dancing to it?

I think thats a totally different issue to the one thats basically being discussed. Isn't the topic basically about the northern scene and its fascination with orgianl vinyl only (not read all the topic so sorry if I've got it wrong)? The more modern scene always been open to cds as more often that not cd is the origianl format.

As for King Moses, I have that here on the PC, I could get that cut to vinyl carver. Wonder what the reaction would be?

Is playing a vinyl carver cut of an unissued track available on a Kent cd for instance any different to actually playing the cd itself?

Edited by chalky
Social source share

• Replies 214
  • Views 10.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

This way it's a win-win situation................appear to be spinning your vinyl whilst really playing mp3's from a laptop ohmy.gif

https://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Ef9xKlimoew

You realise what's happening 20 mins into the set, when you ponder "how come he doesn't change the disks??" :lol: This guy was awesome at Southport........a two hour disco/classics set!! If you've never seen this, it's two time coded disks and special headshells/styli................you pick your mp3 file on the old lapola, assign it to a deck, and then use the vinyl to control the digital file.............kinda cool.............don't shoot me, just a bit of Sunday evening fun :thumbsup::shhh: Took him 10 mins to unwire it all though when the next DJ came on. Carry your vinyl from the USA, or bring this gear??............I can see the appeal!!!

Of course..............you could really show off, and play a two hour mixed house set from reel-to-reel tape.............like Kerri Chandler did here:

https://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=FJ24cKKV1sc

Propper DJ's methinks...........might not be your kinda music, but you have to admire the skills and technology!!

Cheers,

Mark R

Social source share

This way it's a win-win situation................appear to be spinning your vinyl whilst really playing mp3's from a laptop ohmy.gif

https://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Ef9xKlimoew

You realise what's happening 20 mins into the set, when you ponder "how come he doesn't change the disks??" :lol: This guy was awesome at Southport........a two hour disco/classics set!! If you've never seen this, it's two time coded disks and special headshells/styli................you pick your mp3 file on the old lapola, assign it to a deck, and then use the vinyl to control the digital file.............kinda cool.............don't shoot me, just a bit of Sunday evening fun :D:( Took him 10 mins to unwire it all though when the next DJ came on. Carry your vinyl from the USA, or bring this gear??............I can see the appeal!!!

Of course..............you could really show off, and play a two hour mixed house set from reel-to-reel tape.............like Kerri Chandler did here:

https://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=FJ24cKKV1sc

Propper DJ's methinks...........might not be your kinda music, but you have to admire the skills and technology!!

Cheers,

Mark R

And I do Mark! But I do think the Serato scratch thingy is a bit of a fraud really - probably designed for showman scratchers rather than anything else.

Ableton Live seems to be the software in favour right now, so this is what I'll be learning from January onwards - not for Northern gigs I might add!

Greg Wilson also uses a Reel-To-Reel together with a laptop and I was knocked out when I saw what he could do - as were the several hundred punters who never left the floor all night. He played a devasting set of live mixes from the early 70's - things like "Grazing In The Grass" - Friends Of Distinction. "Low Rider" - War, "Soul Makossa" - Manu Dibango etc, etc and THAT'S when I realised the possibilities of laptops even though I was cynical up to that point.

Not looking forward to learning it though LOL.... :lol:

Ian D

Social source share

I think thats a totally different issue to the one thats basically being discussed. Isn't the topic basically about the northern scene and its fascination with orgianl vinyl only (not read all the topic so sorry if I've got it wrong)? The more modern scene always been open to cds as more often that not cd is the origianl format.

As for King Moses, I have that here on the PC, I could get that cut to vinyl carver. Wonder what the reaction would be?

Is playing a vinyl carver cut of an unissued track available on a Kent cd for instance any different to actually playing the cd itself?

The only difference is a cosmetic one Chalky. It'll cost £20 to cut it to a carver, there'll be a slight loss of quality but you will be credible 'cos it's vinyl LOL!

And the thread has weaved around an interesting series of viewpoints, all of 'em interesting, but the point of the thread was 'does it make any sense to play rare originals at venues and wear 'em out eventually'. The general concensus seems to be that it DOES make sense, so I wouldn't want to be a collector looking for a decent copy in 10-20 years.....

And if you're going to do a carver on that King Moses I'd seek written permission from whoever paid the big money for the original copy and take a couple of bodyguards with you to any gig you might play it at!

Ian D

Social source share

He shouldn't have sold it if he still wanted to play it. there is loads of records i've sold that i could still play, if i wanted but it goes against the grain any one else would be shot down in flames, i also belive he's playing another of a carver until he 'gets a real copy'

But what will you do when that rare original wears out or gets too worn to play? Remove it forever, thus depriving people of the right to hear it? smile.gif

Ian D

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

And I do Mark! But I do think the Serato scratch thingy is a bit of a fraud really - probably designed for showman scratchers rather than anything else.

Ableton Live seems to be the software in favour right now, so this is what I'll be learning from January onwards - not for Northern gigs I might add!

Greg Wilson also uses a Reel-To-Reel together with a laptop and I was knocked out when I saw what he could do - as were the several hundred punters who never left the floor all night. He played a devasting set of live mixes from the early 70's - things like "Grazing In The Grass" - Friends Of Distinction. "Low Rider" - War, "Soul Makossa" - Manu Dibango etc, etc and THAT'S when I realised the possibilities of laptops even though I was cynical up to that point.

Not looking forward to learning it though LOL.... biggrin.gif

Ian D

for northern Virtual Dj would suffice , i used it to do the latest podcast i done

Social source share

But what will you do when that rare original wears out or gets too worn to play? Remove it forever, thus depriving people of the right to hear it? :D

Ian D

yes because in the meantime it would of served its purpose, entertaining thousands of happy soulies, everything has its day and if it was mine at least i can still look at it laugh.gif

Social source share

for northern Virtual Dj would suffice , i used it to do the latest podcast i done

Yeah, I have seen that and looks quite fun to use but I think the Ableton gear allows you to do lots of interesting things which can improve the mixes. Haven't learnt it yet but I've yet to hear a negative thing about it. Will report back round about March next year...... smile.gif

Ian D

Social source share

yes because in the meantime it would of served its purpose, entertaining thousands of happy soulies, everything has its day and if it was mine at least i can still look at it laugh.gif

What!!! And you'd deprive future generations of potential Northern Soulies the priviledge of hearing a monster rare tune? Typical of this bloody generation....it's all me me me........ :D

Ian D

Social source share

What!!! And you'd deprive future generations of potential Northern Soulies the priviledge of hearing a monster rare tune? Typical of this bloody generation....it's all me me me........ :D

Ian D

by that time i reckon it will be alright to play it on mp3 Ian laugh.gif

Social source share

Wouldn't be caught dead with anyone elses MP3's mate. Mine would be RARE! laugh.gif

Ian D

I would have it as me ring tone and everyone could sit around me and wait for someone to phone :D

Social source share

I went to a work non soul event on Friday night and there was a person there (I won't credit him with the title dj) who was playing MP3s off a laptop. He couldnt even work the floor in an event that consisted of 150 pissed up lawyers on the wrong side of 40 who'd been necking free booze all night. My boss had to send me up to sort him out..having no personal experience of djying in any format it took me about 2 minutes to a. work out how to cue the tracks up and b. get the dancefloor moving (Tavares if your're interested....)

My point is that any old f**ker can dj off a laptop....I don't mind MP3s and CDs where it is the only format but where it exists on vinyl play it on vinyl wherever possible. And what if the records wear out? Well who cares as most of us will be dead by then and the saviours of the NS scene can get their MP3s out or whatever they have by then biggrin.gif

Edited by reg
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert