I'll Be Around - G. Washington

Guest Johnny Mack

Guest Johnny Mack

I'll be honest - I'm pretty well totally confused by the various releases of this record :lol:

Atac 102

Atac 7823

Mala 12029

Geno Washington

Geno Washington with the Altrasonics and the Versatones

Gino Washington

Gino Washington and the Altrosonics and the Versatones

I presume that the Atac 7823 (Geno) is the original Detroit release and Atac 102 (Gino) is the West Coast release before being picked up by Mala (Gino). That seems logical.

Why do some copies have the Altrasonics and Versatones reference and others not ????

I've put some photos up below and would welcome any logical explanation

Thanks

John

post-1703-1194950804_thumb.jpg

post-1703-1194950833_thumb.jpg

post-1703-1194950871_thumb.jpg

post-1703-1194950896_thumb.jpg

post-1703-1194950926_thumb.jpg

Social source share

• Replies 12
  • Views 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

I remember reading that the sound quality on Mala copies is better than on Atac copies. Is this true? And if it is true, is it true for BOTH Atac releases? :wicked:

I bought an "almost mint" Atac :thumbup: copy a few years ago that I believe Torville & Dean used to practice their spins on & apart from a bit of a crackle on the run in grooves the sound quality is fine ....or at least I've never thought any different although i don't have a Mala copy to compare

Edited by SHSDave
Social source share

I have it on Mala and the sound is great....don't own the Atac copy so couldn't say

Same here.

LMB was reworked with a vibraphone accompaniment as 'Ratrace' a protest song in 68 or 69'. I have it on Washpan boot.

Edited by Ian Sims
Social source share

NOT a boot Ian. Gino did 'em.

ROD

Anybody got a Minty Detroit issue. Just realised I've got RPR dist West coast 45

Yes thanks Rod, and for the record I think this is the best sounding version, the Mala one being styrene is somewhat "brighter" in the top end, but lacks middle, the RPR one is vinyl (from memory,been a while)but may have been poorly mastered as I remember it being a bit muddy generally, not sure about the weather tomorrow though.

Social source share

I HAD THE MALA,SOLD IT.

NOW HAVE THE ATAC COPY.

QUALITY WAS BETTER ON THE MALA.

ALSO I THINK, ILL BE AROUND IS A LONGER VERSION ON THE MALA COPY.

Which Atac copy have you got? ATAC 102 or ATAC 7823? I just want to rule out whether one of the Atac releases has got better sound quality than the other.

I see above that the ATAC 7823 label states the timing as 2:02 while the Mala copy states 2:32.

Social source share

I have had a Mala demo, a #102 (RPR dist. vinyl) white demo and a #7823 local Detroit copy.

The muddiest (but still not that bad) was #102.

I still have a minty #7823 (Hi Rod :D ) and it is loud and bright...both sides...and has the large ARCHER stamp in the deadwax. If only there were demos of this variant <sigh>

I also used to have an original vinyl test press of 'Rat race'...oh the Stafford memories...now that was a touch too bass-y, but all the better for it :unsure:

Social source share

Which Atac copy have you got? ATAC 102 or ATAC 7823? I just want to rule out whether one of the Atac releases has got better sound quality than the other.

I see above that the ATAC 7823 label states the timing as 2:02 while the Mala copy states 2:32.

i have the 102 atac w/d.still nae that bad of sound.

dosnt state time of ill be around,i timed it @ 1.45.

when 1st heard this thot the intro was shorter than my mala copy.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert