Cover-ups What Do You Think Of Them?

• Replies 73
  • Views 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Haha LOL. This is so typical of the wonderful world of Northern Soul.

Firstly a record get covered up as The Masqueraders.

Then the Masqueraders gets uncovered and turns out to be The Parliaments.

But it's the 'wrong' Parliaments.

In 1974 we used to play George Clinton's "Please Don't Run From Me".

But it turned out to be the 'wrong' George Clinton....

Quelle coincidence.

Only on the Northern scene.........

Ian D

Social source share

So (not knowing how the scene works), was it his cover up for a few years then? Thanks.

Couple of years Boba. Some other records have remained covered for over ten years cause no one could find another or never knew what it was. Junior McCants was covered for something like 8 years or so. Mello Souls for quite a few years.

Social source share

many years ago ....during a particular hectic evening round mine .....Dave Alcock decided to design a fancy c/u label for a 45 i had which he liked...(Miss Lavell on Duke)....Dave was a talented artist....here it is.....writing credits were David Mead from Bridgnorth and Pete Lawson.....Happy Days..... biggrin.gif

post-1770-1194975984_thumb.jpg

Social source share

Couple of years Boba. Some other records have remained covered for over ten years cause no one could find another or never knew what it was. Junior McCants was covered for something like 8 years or so. Mello Souls for quite a few years.

I looked at my cabell 45s last night, by the way, and I agree it's not the same parliaments. It is listed incorrectly in the soul harmony singles book.

Social source share

I looked at my cabell 45s last night, by the way, and I agree it's not the same parliaments. It is listed incorrectly in the soul harmony singles book.

I've not looked at the Soul Harmony singles to be honest but assumed they were different due to Cabell being Virginia (?) recording.

Social source share

are there many soul collectors that already have this tune by the p/ments in there collection not knowing

I would say that's quite likely!

Not 'many' but certainly 'some'.

The 'Northern Soul' world is just the tip of a very large iceberg.

There's scores of rare and interesting records that are sitting, gathering dust, their owners totally unaware of the status bestowed on these 'highly prized' items on the UK / NS scene..

Sure, the Internet has spread the word far and wide in the past 10 years... more than in the entire previous 30... but there's still pockets of oblivion out there.

Beyond that, I reckon there's quite a few collectors in the UK who would have no idea of either the popularity, in certain circles, or the prices that some records are currently changing hands for.

Think I'll go and have a scour now for that old Parliaments 45.

Is it on a yellow label?

Hope it didn't end up in the skip!

:rolleyes::thumbup::ohmy:

Social source share

Guest WPaulVanDyk

can't understand why we cover records up not our fault if we find a song that is so good everyone wants a copy.

imagine the scenario if someone found Come on and stop by Marv Johnson first time and thought let's cover it up don't tell anyone cause i use that example because to me it's rare and the sort of song people would be after.

Plus surely covering up a record means people can guess by the voice if they know it sounds exactly like an artist you can't imagine Jackie Wilson being covered up as someone else knowing that sounds like Jackie Wilson and yes it is when you do your search but people are telling you it's not because they wanted it coverd up

Social source share

I've not looked at the Soul Harmony singles to be honest but assumed they were different due to Cabell being Virginia (?) recording.

yep label was based in huntingdon , cabell county in virginia

if do a dig for the main group on the label, collegaesomthings theres a page on wikopedia about em with some background

nought about parliaments but did read on soulful detroit that george clinton says was a different group

the recent ebay seller may be worth a shout for info as seems hes from the same town

Social source share

yep label was based in huntingdon , cabell county in virginia

if do a dig for the main group on the label, collegaesomthings theres a page on wikopedia about em with some background

nought about parliaments but did read on soulful detroit that george clinton says was a different group

the recent ebay seller may be worth a shout for info as seems hes from the same town

two groups have pages I think, Collegiates or summat like and the Rejects.

Social source share

Guest soul99 easylay

Always suggested to me that the 45 is

A) On a major lable or known lable or the artist is known

and/or

Someone is sitting on a load of them and it's a scam to hype the price.

What do you think?

Derek

This is definately a DJ / Collector thing isn't it? :thumbsup: (I know this is blasphemy, but I'm an ardent CD collector only :rolleyes: - Cue ostrocising from SS by the vinyl police :thumbup: )

As a dancer only - it makes no odds to me whether it's a cover up or not - but it does make it a bit of a task though, if I really like a tune and ask the DJ then get told it's something completely different to what it actually is - try and find that on a CD comp! :lol:

Social source share

Guest uroffal

hello all,who and when was butches masq/cover up uncovered and are there many soul collectors that already have this tune by the p/ments in there collection not knowing,certainly not me!!

I'm sure someone will very quickly correct me if I'm totally wrong, but the Parliaments - Cry No More was actually reviewed in Tim Brown's 'Rare Soul Review' some years ago (not sure how old those magazines are now) and I had kept an eye out for it here and there in case it turned up as it's obviously pretty scarce (in fact I'm sure one went through ebay not that long ago - prior to it being uncovered - for no more than maybe £300-400). I'm also pretty sure I've seen it listed on a well known DJs playlist from around 7 or 8 years ago in its uncovered state. :rolleyes:

Edited by uroffal
Social source share

I'm sure someone will very quickly correct me if I'm totally wrong, but the Parliaments - Cry No More was actually reviewed in Tim Brown's 'Rare Soul Review' some years ago (not sure how old those magazines are now) and I had kept an eye out for it here and there in case it turned up as it's obviously pretty scarce (in fact I'm sure one went through ebay not that long ago - prior to it being uncovered - for no more than maybe £300-400). I'm also pretty sure I've seen it listed on a well known DJs playlist from around 7 or 8 years ago in its uncovered state. :rolleyes:

The Parliaments we are talking ab out is This Is My Rainy Day. I listed Cry No More few months ago on here on one of Andy Dysons lists I did. Along with Third Soul Trio on the same label.

Social source share

Guest uroffal

The Parliaments we are talking ab out is This Is My Rainy Day. I listed Cry No More few months ago on here on one of Andy Dysons lists I did. Along with Third Soul Trio on the same label.

See I knew someone would put me right :no:

that's what happens when you don't actually go out and hear anyone play anything, then you don't follow the posts properly. And that's why cover ups are a good thing - they confuse the likes of me even when they've been uncovered :rolleyes:

Edited by uroffal
Social source share

I'd like to hear the reasons behind the cover up names, wether they be that the track sounded like another artist, or they were in that style, or whatever. You know why the cover upee, covered them as that made up/false artist or group. There have been some fucking inspired cover up names put to tracks.

I still have Lee Moore & The Resourceful Ones painted on one of me old scooter helmets, and I'm pleased I do - much more 'Northern sounding' than Ike Strong - as were most of the cover up names - part and parcel of the scene.

They always came out, generally didn't cause the artist or label any harm (apart from an Eric Rapier and Richard incident I heard of) - and really....would you want it any other way?!

Edited by Barry
Social source share

Read 'Bass Culture - When Reggae Was King' about the old sound systems and their promoters/dj's in Jamaica, Prince Buster et al, when each sound system and it's dj had to have their own sounds to keep their particular event popular, and different, to others in the vicinity.

Money was given to men who moved away and got jobs cutting cane in the US, to send back 7"s, which they covered up as to stop the other sound systems having them - thus giving exclusivity on certain big tunes and ensuring big numbers at their next event.

Remind you of anything?

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert