Who Plays Lamont Dozier

Stuck indoors tonight who better to listen to than Lamont Dozier, not only did he produce many hit songs for the Four Tops but a talented singer in his own right, with so many wonderful tunes:

Fly Away Little Bird Song

Can't Get Off Until The Feeling Stops

Don't Leave Me

New Breed Kinda Woiman

If You Don't Wanna Be In My life

Why Can't We Be Lovers

Breaking Out All Over

Going Back To My Roots

I could go on and on, what's your favourite LD tune :rolleyes:

Social source share

• Replies 33
  • Views 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Favourite track? Hmmmmmmm

Think it would have to be..................................................

Black Bach album - all of it :thumbsup:

Loved it since came out in 74/5, beautifully produced/written/performed, one of THE all time greatest albums :rolleyes:

Social source share

Guest vinylmaniac

I love Lamont Doziers music it's hard to pick one standout track but it would come from the following:-

Why can't we be lovers.

Rose.

Trying To Hold On To My Woman.

Take Off Your Make Up.

Let me start tonight.

Regards

Alan

Hi Alan. Long time no see.Here's a couple of Lamont's track's I like."YOU MAKE ME A BELIEVER" & " FEELING EACH OTHER OUT".Ta Ray.

Social source share

Guest andyrattigan

Favourites have to be:

"Breakin out all over" and "Why cant we be lovers".

Two cheap records that are far superior to some records whose value is linked to rarity as opposed to quality.

Social source share

Famed as one third of HDH, but when it came to producing many of his great 70's ABC & Warner Brothers outings he handed this over to his great friend and fellow Detroiter, McKinley Jackson. When Invictus fell apart, Lamont Dozier, McKinley Jackson and Popcorn Wylie set up 3G production (Three Gemini's, they all share the same birth sign) and headed of to the West Coast. Just love all the Jackson productions and his great strings arrangements. At the same time he produced Reggie Garner and Popcorn Wylie amongst many others at ABC.

Social source share

Just love all the Jackson productions and his great strings arrangements. At the same time he produced Reggie Garner and Popcorn Wylie amongst many others at ABC.

Agree Dave, The Mckinley Jackson sound very evident on the Reggie Garner ABC tracks and The Popcorn Wylie ABC LP.

Often wondered if their was a Lamont version of "How Can I Lose You" or "That Aint The Way You Make Love" knocking around.

Good to see you last night Dave.

A corkin' night!

:unsure:

Sean

Social source share

Often wondered if their was a Lamont version of "How Can I Lose You" or "That Aint The Way You Make Love" knocking around.

Sounds strange, but ZZ Hill's awesome version of "That aint the way you make love" would be the nearest IMHO to a LD version.

Its on a LD produced UA lp which got a UK release on the revived Stateside label in the UK back in the mid eighties.

I echo everyones sentiments about LD. "Right where I wanna be" is one of my favs.

Regards Alan

Social source share

Agree Dave, The Mckinley Jackson sound very evident on the Reggie Garner ABC tracks and The Popcorn Wylie ABC LP.

Good to see you last night Dave.

A corkin' night!

Sean

Morning Sean

Great to see her with a big smile on her face, good nite indeed.

Dave

Social source share

Sounds strange, but ZZ Hill's awesome version of "That aint the way you make love" would be the nearest IMHO to a LD version.

Its on a LD produced UA lp which got a UK release on the revived Stateside label in the UK back in the mid eighties.

Hi Alan,

I've got the ZZ Hill LP, USA UA, and always rated ZZ's version of the song too.

"Two Sides To Every Story" is another fave track on that particular album.

Sean

Social source share

Famed as one third of HDH, but when it came to producing many of his great 70's ABC & Warner Brothers outings he handed this over to his great friend and fellow Detroiter, McKinley Jackson. When Invictus fell apart, Lamont Dozier, McKinley Jackson and Popcorn Wylie set up 3G production (Three Gemini's, they all share the same birth sign) and headed of to the West Coast. Just love all the Jackson productions and his great strings arrangements. At the same time he produced Reggie Garner and Popcorn Wylie amongst many others at ABC.

Totally agree with you here Dave, McKinley Jackson's production has such an identity that you can more or less categorically state that on first listen that it is one of his productions, some that come to mind are Reggie Garner's ABC stuff, The Originals "Californian Sunset", Richard 'Popcorn' Wylie's ESP on ABC, one that I can't remember for certain and I can't put my hands on my copy to check but isn't the awesome Freda Payne "Payne & Pleasure" set on ABC the work of McKinley Jackson & Lamont Dozier, and finally one which I have never owned and indeed never seen but I have heard at venues is Bobby Hutton's incredible "Wanting you needing you" again I don't know if Lamont Dozier and McKinley Jackson were involved in the writing and producing but it certainly sounds as though they were, perhaps you knowledgable guys can confirm them last two tracks. Not forgettin' Lamont Dozier's production of the brilliant Zingara LP on Big Wheel which the brilliant "I surrender" came from.

Agree with Eddie that "Why can't we be lovers" is possibly my favourite soul record of all time, it's certainly fighting it out in my top 5 with The Originals "Baby I'm for real", Sam Dees "Child of the streets", Donny Hathaway "I love the lord he heard my cry" and The Isley Brothers "Who could ever doubt my love", it would be difficult for to put them in any kind of order.

Regards

Alan

Social source share

Hi Alan,

I've got the ZZ Hill LP, USA UA, and always rated ZZ's version of the song too.

"Two Sides To Every Story" is another fave track on that particular album.

thumbsup.gif

Sean

I must admit that Z Z Hill's version of "That ain't the way you make love" was always one of my faves and when I heard that Reggie Garner had cut a version of it I couldn't wait to hear it to be able to compare and I was really pleasantly surprised as to how good it was, I was able to get a copy of it for £30 before it became more popular, unfortunately the copy I've got is the demo and apparently I'm missing out on an equally good record called "half a cup" which is the released 'b' side, anyone got a sound file of "half a cup" as I haven't heard it yet. Conclusion I still think Z Z Hill has the edge.

Regards

Alan

Social source share

"Can't Get Off Untill The Feeling Stops" & "Ain't Never Loved Nobody (Like I Loved You)" from my fave album by the man "Right There", however I feel Black Bach was a true landmark album for SOUL MUSIC

Hi Lamont

I have a Promo of Right There, well it has a Warner Bros Promo Sticker on the Album Cover.

Lamont_Dozier_Right_There.jpg

Standard Album inside I think. Must give it a play.

Edited by 45cellar
Social source share

Totally agree with you here Dave, McKinley Jackson's production has such an identity that you can more or less categorically state that on first listen that it is one of his productions, some that come to mind are Reggie Garner's ABC stuff, The Originals "Californian Sunset", Richard 'Popcorn' Wylie's ESP on ABC, one that I can't remember for certain and I can't put my hands on my copy to check but isn't the awesome Freda Payne "Payne & Pleasure" set on ABC the work of McKinley Jackson & Lamont Dozier, and finally one which I have never owned and indeed never seen but I have heard at venues is Bobby Hutton's incredible "Wanting you needing you" again I don't know if Lamont Dozier and McKinley Jackson were involved in the writing and producing but it certainly sounds as though they were, perhaps you knowledgable guys can confirm them last two tracks. Not forgettin' Lamont Dozier's production of the brilliant Zingara LP on Big Wheel which the brilliant "I surrender" came from.

Agree with Eddie that "Why can't we be lovers" is possibly my favourite soul record of all time, it's certainly fighting it out in my top 5 with The Originals "Baby I'm for real", Sam Dees "Child of the streets", Donny Hathaway "I love the lord he heard my cry" and The Isley Brothers "Who could ever doubt my love", it would be difficult for to put them in any kind of order.

Regards

Alan

Yes he also produced Bobby Hutton, McKinley that is. He is a good friend and a pleasure to be with. We often speak about his work, he started at just 14 doing arrangements on Arabians on La Mans. He was married to Shirley Jones of the Jones Girls and his son is the late 'Proof' of Detroit Hip Group D12, Eminem's band. There's an interview I did with him for Manifesto somewhere on this site. In Detroit he is seen as a genius amongst his peers.

Dave

Edited by Dave Thorley
Social source share

So many great tracks from him that it would be hard to pick out some for fear of missing others out!

But off the top some of my faves along with the above mentioned would have to be "All cried out", Starting over", "Cool me out", "Love me to the max", "You ought to be in pictures", "Love in the rain", "Family", "Sight for sore eyes", "Tear down the walls"

There's so many good songs he's been involved with, it ought to be a crime not to play at least one at every soul night! thumbsup.gif

Social source share

So many great tracks from him that it would be hard to pick out some for fear of missing others out!

But off the top some of my faves along with the above mentioned would have to be "All cried out", Starting over", "Cool me out", "Love me to the max", "You ought to be in pictures", "Love in the rain", "Family", "Sight for sore eyes", "Tear down the walls"

There's so many good songs he's been involved with, it ought to be a crime not to play at least one at every soul night! :)

Hiya John

I was thinking about "tear down the walls" in the park this afternoon! I think that's probably my favourite LD track with everything else very close. There again "All cried out" is a hellava track.

To me LD is the governer.

Regards Alan

Social source share

Love virtually everything he's done , but " Why can't we be lovers " would be a contender for my favourite Soul record of all time .Best ,Eddie

I think I agree with you Eddie - my favourite 'non-Northern Soul' soul record - bought it when it came out, actually thats a lie, I went to a party and took a load of records with me, this one somehow came back with me, but whatever. The weird thing is, on that copy where he sings "I say I'l leaving but I don't have the heart", it skips a groove, and every time I hear it I expect it to jump. Anyone else have that, when a record has always jumped in the same place?

Social source share

Stuck indoors tonight who better to listen to than Lamont Dozier, not only did he produce many hit songs for the Four Tops but a talented singer in his own right, with so many wonderful tunes:

Fly Away Little Bird Song

Can't Get Off Until The Feeling Stops

Don't Leave Me

New Breed Kinda Woiman

If You Don't Wanna Be In My life

Why Can't We Be Lovers

Breaking Out All Over

Going Back To My Roots

I could go on and on, what's your favourite LD tune :ohmy:

You Ought To Be In Pictures every time the opening notes send shivers down my spine !!!!!

Social source share

I think I agree with you Eddie - my favourite 'non-Northern Soul' soul record - bought it when it came out, actually thats a lie, I went to a party and took a load of records with me, this one somehow came back with me, but whatever. The weird thing is, on that copy where he sings "I say I'l leaving but I don't have the heart", it skips a groove, and every time I hear it I expect it to jump. Anyone else have that, when a record has always jumped in the same place?

Yep, the early U.K. Invictus pressings of "Why Can't We Be Lovers" all seemed to have the same problem - must've been a pressing fault..........

Ian D

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert