Djr

• Replies 32
  • Views 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

GREAT VOCAL BY MELBA MOORE, PICKED UP A COPY OF THE LP FOR A FEW QUID LAST YEAR, GREAT VERSION.

BRI.

Someone named Melba Smith is credited on the LP as singing "Thinkin'".

Isn't Melba Moore's real name Melba Hill? Or am I confusing things? wacko.gif

Garrett Saunders is also credited on the LP as being in the group.

Same guy as on "A Day Or Two" on Serock perhaps?

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Someone named Melba Smith is credited on the LP as singing "Thinkin'".

Isn't Melba Moore's real name Melba Hill? Or am I confusing things? wacko.gif

Garrett Saunders is also credited on the LP as being in the group.

Same guy as on "A Day Or Two" on Serock perhaps?

No, my friend, you're not confusing anything - Melba's birth name is indeed Melba Hill. Can't hear much at all in what, admittely, I think is an absolutely woeful record to suggest that it's she who's singing lead on "Thinkin'"...

Edited by TONY ROUNCE
Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

When Mick Patrick and I complied the third volume of our recent "Leiber-Stoller Story" series we included "Thinkin" in our original track listing but were expressly asked by the writers not to use the track. Can't swear on here, so I can't tell you what they themselves thought of it, but the prognosis was not good...

Didn't realise that there was a difference between the LP and 45 versions, Flynny, but I have only heard the single and that's woeful enough for me :lol:

Are you saying that there's an even worse version out there? :lol:

Social source share

Sorry Tony - I'm a great belever in "beauty is in the eye (or in this case ear) of the beholder" but I'd be interested to know why you deem this track and in particular the 45 version "woeful" :lol:

When Mick Patrick and I complied the third volume of our recent "Leiber-Stoller Story" series we included "Thinkin" in our original track listing but were expressly asked by the writers not to use the track. Can't swear on here, so I can't tell you what they themselves thought of it, but the prognosis was not good...

Didn't realise that there was a difference between the LP and 45 versions, Flynny, but I have only heard the single and that's woeful enough for me :lol:

Social source share

The album take is sparse in the instrumentation department and leans more towards the groups vocal...ahem...qualities. Not as charismatic as the 45, which I am surprised you don't like, as I always thought it to be very Etta James-y. :lol:

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Sorry Tony - I'm a great belever in "beauty is in the eye (or in this case ear) of the beholder" but I'd be interested to know why you deem this track and in particular the 45 version "woeful" :lol:

I just don't like it - no special reason, there are probably millions of records that I wouldn't give house space to, and this is one of them. It's not especially well sung, and it sounds like what, to me at least, it is - a hamfisted and superfluous adaptation of a rock 'n' roll classic. |Suffice to say that I don't feel the same way about the Coasters' "Searchin" - which it's based on, which I've loved for over 50 years and which I'll go to my grave loving...

I'm only deeming the 45 version woeful because it's the only one I've ever heard. If I ever have the misfortune to hear the album version I'll probably deem that even more woeful, I guess...

Wouldn't it be a sad world if we all thought that all the same records were either good or bad?

Social source share

I just don't like it - no special reason, there are probably millions of records that I wouldn't give house space to, and this is one of them. It's not especially well sung, and it sounds like what, to me at least, it is - a hamfisted and superfluous adaptation of a rock 'n' roll classic. |Suffice to say that I don't feel the same way about the Coasters' "Searchin" - which it's based on,

undoubtedly its derived from the same

which I've loved for over 50 years and which I'll go to my grave loving...

I'm only deeming the 45 version woeful because it's the only one I've ever heard. If I ever have the misfortune to hear the album version I'll probably deem that even more woeful, I guess...

the lp version is inferior in my opinion

Wouldn't it be a sad world if we all thought that all the same records were either good or bad?

Here here - but with myself and the majority of the main stream northern crowd who heard Flynny play this out c/u'd as Helen Troy (whom I thought it was too before I found out it was a c/u) it was a big production, rousing and fresh sounding monster which when heard for the first time created that "WHATS THIS" question!! Along with the constant requests when I owned it and the favourable comments after I used to play it I was just shocked as to your "woeful" remark Tony - each to their own mate - just the first bad word I'd ever heard of the track - mind you I get the same looks/comments when I comment on a much derogatory manner about Soul Bros Six, Joe Jama etc etc :thumbsup:

Social source share

Played the 45 version at Lowton last night..... Packed the floor. personally think both versions are playable out but the 45 does have the edge ............Monster Record!

fantastic tune, one of the best records played last night

sounded awesome over the big system :unsure:

Social source share

fantastic tune, one of the best records played last night

sounded awesome over the big system :ohmy:

:lol::P opinions sem to be quite split on this one then. :unsure::lol:

Can't see what there's not to like about it apart from one poor bit by the male backing vocalists on the chorus, otherwise, an uptempo dancer with a wailing girl vocal and thunderous timpanis, get in there!

Social source share

Can't see what there's not to like about it apart from one poor bit by the male backing vocalists on the chorus, otherwise, an uptempo dancer with a wailing girl vocal and thunderous timpanis, get in there!

My first response too Pete, but as a massive advocate of each to their own and "nothing is really shit" you have to accept the disapproved guys points of view - HOWEVER - I still think its yet to have its day around the country without hopefully getting overplayed.

Believe an issue exists which took Browny a year to find so, correct me if i'm wrong, issue quite hard which I like Ted, can't get my head round when it comes to majar US general labels i.e Chesterfields - Walked away - Phillips - another example and prob loads more......

I know Flynny, sure you explained once but I suffer from oldtimers now. :unsure:

Social source share

My first response too Pete, but as a massive advocate of each to their own and "nothing is really shit" you have to accept the disapproved guys points of view - HOWEVER - I still think its yet to have its day around the country without hopefully getting overplayed.

Believe an issue exists which took Browny a year to find so, correct me if i'm wrong, issue quite hard which I like Ted, can't get my head round when it comes to majar US general labels i.e Chesterfields - Walked away - Phillips - another example and prob loads more......

I know Flynny, sure you explained once but I suffer from oldtimers now. :unsure:

Not so sure about the lp version-- The 45 sounds great played out-- it does have a certain quality in terms of atmosphere but must admit I tend to take it off the deck part way through if I play it at home!--

Not sure whether this makes it a good or poor record but maybe the context it's played in determines opinion

Social source share

tis indeed melba moore singing lead. she,s on the lp cover.. if you know what melba

looks like. you know when you see a picture of barry white you know its barry white

marvin gaye looks like marvin etc ......... do i need to go on :unsure:

joe

Edited by joe lakin
Social source share

No, my friend, you're not confusing anything - Melba's birth name is indeed Melba Hill. Can't hear much at all in what, admittely, I think is an absolutely woeful record to suggest that it's she who's singing lead on "Thinkin'"...

According to an article I read Melba Moore was born Beatrice Melba Smith. I'll find the article and post it.

Social source share

I know Flynny, sure you explained once but I suffer from oldtimers now. :wicked:

Steve, i got the 45 on issue , havent heard of another one so far, but as you say its hard to get head around

got the roots french lp - which is almost identical apart from a french monolgue thing

voices inc were later involved in a play called believers - sure theres a bit of info on that on web somewhere

soundtrack lp lists the make up of voices inc then (68), but not suprisingly (play, long run etc) no mention of any melba

to me 45 version is one of those tracks that need a bit of effort , needs to be the right place, right time as in the right tracks building up before it and booom

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert