Brickyard - Mexboro

Tomangoes

Just listened to an old tape with Al Kents - The way youve been acting lately, and it reminded me of those fantastic soul nights most of my schoolmates attended at the Brickyard - Mexboro. Funny how certain tunes stick in your mind where you first heard it.

Any other soul - sources rememember it?

Other big tunes at the time were:

Girls are out to get you

Never will I fall in love again

Cashing in

The bottle

Hide nor Hair

It aint necessary

I cant get enough of your love.

Lager was 23 pence a pint!!!!!

Great memories.

Ed

Social source share

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 3
  • Views 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Just listened to an old tape with Al Kents - The way youve been acting lately, and it reminded me of those fantastic soul nights most of my schoolmates attended at the Brickyard - Mexboro. Funny how certain tunes stick in your mind where you first heard it.

Any other soul - sources rememember it?

Other big tunes at the time were:

Girls are out to get you

Never will I fall in love again

Cashing in

The bottle

Hide nor Hair

It aint necessary

I cant get enough of your love.

Lager was 23 pence a pint!!!!!

Great memories.

Ed

The Brickyard , Mexborough , was an highly creditable scene in its' day , which provided to many , an essential meeting place to get an auditory fix of tunes before the excesses of a weekend .......

I can remember Pete Blinkho being one of the main DJs , but my recollection as to who the others were , is somewhat hazy ......

The Brickyard , like many places , was demolished shortly after it closed , and was replaced on the site by a custom bulit JW meeting place .....

Malc Burton

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

The Brickyard had numerous DJs during it's life, starting from the first time I can remember would have been mid / late '74 when Huddersfield's John Simms did it, playing a mix of pop and soul and shortly moving over to all soul as the requests from the 'punters' showed that it was the way to go.

Tuesday nights was the night first off - I remember he was mates with Ian 'Frank' Dewhurst who I remember calling in with him on some nights.

I'm not sure if he also did the Friday night sessions as well or whether that was later when Blink and co took over sometime around '75 / '76

By the way - I was also playing the tunes along with Blink & Phil Sharp up to sometime in '77 :lol: Pete had to 'retire from the nights partly due to oncoming parent duties :thumbup: and as the equipment was his, the night ended.

After that I recall for a time Derek Sheldon and Steve Croft stepping in for a while.

I also seem to think someone else did it for a time but can't recall just when it would have been...

It certainly was popular for some years and was a regular meeting place for the local crowd from anywhere between Doncaster to Barnsley and Rotherham and Sheffield.

Like Malc, my memory is also a bit hazy after all those years! :unsure:

Social source share

The Brickyard had numerous DJs during it's life, starting from the first time I can remember would have been mid / late '74 when Huddersfield's John Simms did it, playing a mix of pop and soul and shortly moving over to all soul as the requests from the 'punters' showed that it was the way to go.

Tuesday nights was the night first off - I remember he was mates with Ian 'Frank' Dewhurst who I remember calling in with him on some nights.

I'm not sure if he also did the Friday night sessions as well or whether that was later when Blink and co took over sometime around '75 / '76

By the way - I was also playing the tunes along with Blink & Phil Sharp up to sometime in '77 :lol: Pete had to 'retire from the nights partly due to oncoming parent duties :thumbup: and as the equipment was his, the night ended.

After that I recall for a time Derek Sheldon and Steve Croft stepping in for a while.

I also seem to think someone else did it for a time but can't recall just when it would have been...

It certainly was popular for some years and was a regular meeting place for the local crowd from anywhere between Doncaster to Barnsley and Rotherham and Sheffield.

Like Malc, my memory is also a bit hazy after all those years! :unsure:

Hi John ....

When I was typing my reply to the original post regarding the other DJs at The Brickyard , your name came into my mind as being one of the other DJs , but I was not certain .......

Thanks to the / your confirmation , I now know my recall is not as bad as I thought it was ......

Malc Burton

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert