The Dancing Slipper & The Brit (nottm) 1979 Onwards

:lol: anyone out there go to these two venues from 1979 onwards........ saturday night at the Brit and Monday nite at the Dancing Slipper, West Bridgford............ any pictures out there..........

:huh:

bettyboop

Social source share

• Replies 39
  • Views 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

:huh: hiya........... do you remember any names ?

I used to knock around with some scooter lads from Arnold - there names may come to me! We were the younger lot - although I was never a regular. Shippo (RIP) used to go and Pickles - who's on here. Some lads from Lincoln and Mablethorpe - I was from Mablethorpe back in those days!

I'll start thinking through some of the names.

:lol:

Social source share

I used to knock around with some scooter lads from Arnold - there names may come to me! We were the younger lot - although I was never a regular. Shippo (RIP) used to go and Pickles - who's on here. Some lads from Lincoln and Mablethorpe - I was from Mablethorpe back in those days!

I'll start thinking through some of the names.

:huh:

YEP Shippo (RIP) was a good mate of ours as was Andy Shipstone. I used to knock around with Denise Pitman. (i was a younger member also)....... lol :lol:

Social source share

God yes,first time i met colin shipstone here, rip, sorry no pics though.

Didn't Saturday nights at the Brit become Mod nights around 1980?

Also I'm sure I saw Roger Banks Dj at the Slipper around this time, could be wrong, memory and all that unsure.gif

Social source share

Guest markmtfc

Cant remember much about them byrne, years ago, sure we used to go on a friday night, a few scoots used to get outside, and one of the djs used to look like he just walked out of the seventies, complete with stab collar shirt, flares, and a massive gold medallion. Happy days

Social source share

Guest GazArcher

:D anyone out there go to these two venues from 1979 onwards........ saturday night at the Brit and Monday nite at the Dancing Slipper, West Bridgford............ any pictures out there..........

:thumbsup:

bettyboop

AT THE BRIT MOST SATURDAYS (A SCOOTERING MOD AT THE TIME AND CAN I TELL YOU A FEW TALES) AND I'VE GOT A FEW PICS. I'LL BRING THEM TO EAST KIRKBY ON FRIDAY.

ALSO WENT TO THE SLIPPER. WENT ONE NIGHT AND IT WAS A SKINS NIGHT. RUMOUR WAS THAT A COUPLE OF MODS WERE GOING TO GET DONE, AND SEEING AS I WAS THE ONLY MOD THERE ALONG WITH A MATE WHO WAS ON SICK LEAVE FROM THE NAVY HOBBLING ABOUT ON CRUTCHES, AND MY GIRL FRIEND (WHO BECAME MY WIFE) IT WAS AN INTERESTING NIGHT. STAYED TILL THE END, THE RESULT BEING MODS 1 SKINS 0........YOU DON'T MESS WITH THE FACE ESPECIALLY A TOWN LAD AND FULLY PAID UP MEMBER OF RANDLES VANDALS, THE ELITE BATALLION OF THE NFFC MAD SQUAD. :lol: ( OR SHOULD THAT BE MOD SQUAD)

Social source share

Also I'm sure I saw Roger Banks Dj at the Slipper around this time, could be wrong, memory and all that :)

:D yes saturday became Mod nights........... i remember it well..... :huh:

Social source share

AT THE BRIT MOST SATURDAYS (A SCOOTERING MOD AT THE TIME AND CAN I TELL YOU A FEW TALES) AND I'VE GOT A FEW PICS. I'LL BRING THEM TO EAST KIRKBY ON FRIDAY.

ALSO WENT TO THE SLIPPER. WENT ONE NIGHT AND IT WAS A SKINS NIGHT. RUMOUR WAS THAT A COUPLE OF MODS WERE GOING TO GET DONE, AND SEEING AS I WAS THE ONLY MOD THERE ALONG WITH A MATE WHO WAS ON SICK LEAVE FROM THE NAVY HOBBLING ABOUT ON CRUTCHES, AND MY GIRL FRIEND (WHO BECAME MY WIFE) IT WAS AN INTERESTING NIGHT. STAYED TILL THE END, THE RESULT BEING MODS 1 SKINS 0........YOU DON'T MESS WITH THE FACE ESPECIALLY A TOWN LAD AND FULLY PAID UP MEMBER OF RANDLES VANDALS, THE ELITE BATALLION OF THE NFFC MAD SQUAD. :) ( OR SHOULD THAT BE MOD SQUAD)

:huh: hey GAZ cant you remember me then ?.............. cant wait for tomorrow now then if you got pics......

I was at the Brit every saturday............ and i remember the NFFC MAD SQUAD NOT MOD SQUAD........

LUV BETTY

X

Social source share

God yes,first time i met colin shipstone here, rip, sorry no pics though.

:) YEP Colin was a great guy....... got a few pics of him (one i remember well taken at Skeggy in a parka with a coppers hat under his arm) bless.........

Social source share

Also I'm sure I saw Roger Banks Dj at the Slipper around this time, could be wrong, memory and all that :unsure:

Although I was underage at that time :thumbup: I used to go to the Dancing Slipper around 1981 - 1983 when staying in Nottingham in the school holidays and Roger Banks was definately DJing there at that time. Me and my mate Sarah (both from York) used to knock around with 2 brothers from West Bridgford - Colin and Phil (he was in the army), but not sure of their surname and also their cousin Fergus - does anyone know these guys? I remember a mod called Colin who was a great dancer and used to wear a cool fishtail parka with Tamla Motown label on the back - can't remember his surname though.

My mates dad lived on a boat in front of the Brit so we used to hang around the Brit listening to the music but we werent allowed in :lol:

Sadly I do not have any photos but have great memories of the Dancing Slipper :lol: I'd love to see some photos taken around this time if anyone has any to post up.

Social source share

:thumbup: yes saturday became Mod nights........... i remember it well..... :unsure:

Went to both Friday and Saturday nights. Got to know the Notts Brittania Scooter club from the Saturday nights: Lowey (Britts No1) Patesy, Sharda, Dawn, Dave Lindley, T boy, Chisel, Col Shippo, Shakes, Little Ray, Amos, Ginger Bob oh and Kitch who was a Notts Brittania Lad for a couple of years 80 - 82). These names won't mean a lot to soulies (other than Shippo and Kitch).

Lowey's still one of my best mates although he hates soul with a vengence.

Social source share

:thumbup: and i remember the NFFC MAD SQUAD NOT MOD SQUAD........

LUV BETTY

X

Greenjackets with the chant that struck fear into those with a liking of sheep.. THE MAD SQUAD, UNITED, WILL NEVER BE DEFEATED. :unsure:

Social source share

Guest GazArcher

Greenjackets with the chant that struck fear into those with a liking of sheep.. THE MAD SQUAD, UNITED, WILL NEVER BE DEFEATED. :lol:

AND NEVER WERE!

Social source share

Guest markmtfc

To anyone who has been reading this thread, i have just posted some photos, of some of the notts crowd, early eighties, could do with naming a few of them.

Social source share

To anyone who has been reading this thread, i have just posted some photos, of some of the notts crowd, early eighties, could do with naming a few of them.

unsure.gif I remember some faces......... do you have any other pics........ rolleyes.gif

betty

x

Social source share

i have some more photos from around 82,83,84 of the notts crowd, try and post over the week end.

:lol:that would be great.............. I was around then........... struggling with names though......... alot of the old crew are going to the charity soul event on 23rd November at the Polish Club in Sherwood...... :wicked:

Social source share

Went to both Friday and Saturday nights. Got to know the Notts Brittania Scooter club from the Saturday nights: Lowey (Britts No1) Patesy, Sharda, Dawn, Dave Lindley, T boy, Chisel, Col Shippo, Shakes, Little Ray, Amos, Ginger Bob oh and Kitch who was a Notts Brittania Lad for a couple of years 80 - 82). These names won't mean a lot to soulies (other than Shippo and Kitch).

Aha - Dave Lindley! I used to know him quite well - he spent quite a bit of time in Mablethorpe when I lived there. He used to knock around with Glen (can't remember his surname at the minute) and another tall blond haired lad.

:wicked:

Social source share

Aha - Dave Lindley! I used to know him quite well - he spent quite a bit of time in Mablethorpe when I lived there. He used to knock around with Glen (can't remember his surname at the minute) and another tall blond haired lad.

:lol:

Again Peter, very small world. Dave Lindley from Arnold is a good lad with one hell of a dry sense of humour, never into soul though as I remember. He knocked around with a tall blondish lad called Belly (I think) who was just one ball of pure mischief, but in a good way. He also knocked around with a lad called Amos from Burton Joyce who used to run with the early 80s Forest firm for a bit and a lad called Shakes who was one of those annoying people who every women in the world fancied, :ohmy:

Social source share

See Curley, Alf, Shippo, Trish, Skip, Skinhead Lee from Beaston on there Bucket old bean. and a few there I don't know

Glad you've got none of me, never had a tash Guv, honest :ohmy:

Edited by Byrney
Social source share

Guest GazArcher

See Curley, Alf, Shippo, Trish, Skip, Skinhead Lee from Beaston on there Bucket old bean. and a few there I don't know

Glad you've got none of me, never had a tash Guv, honest :)

RECOGNISE CURLEY, SAW HIM RECENTLY AT THE FEDERATION, (HE WAS ALSO ONE OF THE SKINS AT THE SLIPPER THAT NIGHT, BUT KNOWING THE TOWN LADS HE KNEW WHICH SIDE HIS BREAD WAS BUTTERED AND LEFT BEFORE THE END)

ALSO REMEMBER GINGER BOB AND LARGIE, MITCH AND ANN WHO ARE STILL MEMBERS OF THE ROBIN HOOD SCOOTER CLUB, ALONG WITH "JIMMY" ALSO STILL WITH THE ROBIN HOOD CREW PLUS A FEW FROM CALVO, COLIN MOSS, BRYN, TREV COURT WHO IS STILL SCOOTERING, FOUNDER OF THE BORN AGAIN LOT.

Social source share

Again Peter, very small world. Dave Lindley from Arnold is a good lad with one hell of a dry sense of humour, never into soul though as I remember. He knocked around with a tall blondish lad called Belly (I think) who was just one ball of pure mischief, but in a good way. He also knocked around with a lad called Amos from Burton Joyce who used to run with the early 80s Forest firm for a bit and a lad called Shakes who was one of those annoying people who every women in the world fancied, :ohmy:

Yep you're right Belly! The Glen I mentioned was Glen Unwin. I seem to recall that we managed to drag em to one of the Cleethorpes all nighters - but I could be wrong! Twas a long time ago.

:rolleyes:

Social source share

• 2 months later...

:huh: anyone out there go to these two venues from 1979 onwards........ saturday night at the Brit and Monday nite at the Dancing Slipper, West Bridgford............ any pictures out there..........

smile.gif

bettyboop

unsure.gifNEW VENUE STARTING UP - TRANDY SOUL CLUB................... TO TARGET ALL OF OUR OLD FRIENDS FROM THE GOOD OLD DAYS OF THE BRIT AND DANCING SLIPPER............... SEE EVENTS GUIDE......... FRIDAY 7TH MARCH 2008 AT THE TRENTSIDE CLUB....................

Social source share

biggrin.gif anyone out there go to these two venues from 1979 onwards........ saturday night at the Brit and Monday nite at the Dancing Slipper, West Bridgford............ any pictures out there..........

smile.gif

bettyboop

Rob Smith is rumoured to have been born in The Brit .......

Malc Burton

Social source share

Guest topcatnumpty1

No,Never Malc---The Brittiania shut at 2 A.M. and as usual Rob was late arriving ---and was born outside!!!!!

Tony C.

Rob Smith
is rumoured to have been born in The Brit .......

Malc Burton

Social source share

Don`t think Rob was born at the Brit `coz he was DJ ing at Creepers (Basford Hall Miners welfare) circa 1974 and living in Balloon Woods flats!! :wicked:

:thumbsup:oh no............. I remember that one................ blimey has he been around that long......... lol........ we love him to bits..........

Bettyboop (alias lil Miss Redman)

Social source share

Guest charnley

Don`t think Rob was born at the Brit `coz he was DJ ing at Creepers (Basford Hall Miners welfare) circa 1974 and living in Balloon Woods flats!! :wicked:

Beeston boys club in the 60s, buying and bopping to rock n roll so ive been told. :thumbsup:

Social source share

Beeston boys club in the 60s, buying and bopping to rock n roll so ive been told. rolleyes.gif

It cannot have been Rob - the night would have finished before he got there :thumbsup: ..........

Malc Burton

post-5097-1202964649.jpg

Social source share

How about the Brit around 71-79 or the Manchester Unity in Beeston, thats if anybodys still compus mentus from that era.

15_4_122.gif apart from me that is.

chris

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...
Guest southpaw

:thumbsup: YEP Colin was a great guy....... got a few pics of him (one i remember well taken at Skeggy in a parka with a coppers hat under his arm) bless.........

Sure that coppers hat was a real one after a rumpus with the local plod :lol: , or might have been another time memory aint so good these days, great times great people.

Alan (pickles)

Social source share

:lol: anyone out there go to these two venues from 1979 onwards........ saturday night at the Brit and Monday nite at the Dancing Slipper, West Bridgford............ any pictures out there..........

:thumbsup:

bettyboop

Nah went to Brit when it was a proper soul club whistling.gif1967 - 1970ish that was long before Kev R & company, Swifty on the door, mates then Joris, Andy B ,Trav, Stew Morris, Jan. So long ago can't remember others, even met Pam (my wife)there in 1968. And the Dancing slipper in those days would not be seen dead there not the place to be, it was on par with Colmans in town, must have changed later, other in places at the time were the Beachcomber and Dungeon.

No car them days had to run over Trent Bridge to catch number 43 to City then 33 (Barton) to Chilwell, forgot how many times miseed them and had to walk home.tongue.gif

Rob Smith still a baby thenbiggrin.gif

Happy days

Barry Cooper

Edited by Guest
Social source share

• 2 months later...

\working in a sports centre you come across all sorts of folks

And a couple of days ago I was chatting to a chap who is new to the area

anyhoo he mentioned the soul nite we have on the 21st june

and also went on to say he went to the dancing slipper and was a scooterist

his name is clynton barrett anyone remember him??

He mentioned he lived in bulwell and also mentioned shippo from palais days

If anyone does remember him I will pass on any messages I get

Mand :huh:

Edited by Madmandy
Social source share

\working in a sports centre you come across all sorts of folks

And a couple of days ago I was chatting to a chap who is new to the area

anyhoo he mentioned the soul nite we have on the 21st june

and also went on to say he went to the dancing slipper and was a scooterist

his name is clynton barrett anyone remember him??

He mentioned he lived in bulwell and also mentioned shippo from palais days

If anyone does remember him I will pass on any messages I get

Mand :thumbup:

:thumbup: thanks for the email....... i remember the name.......... but not the face. :shades: ......which soul nite on 21st June ?

regards

Betty (alias tracey)

Social source share

:wub: thanks for the email....... i remember the name.......... but not the face. :yes: ......which soul nite on 21st June ?

regards

Betty (alias tracey)

Its one at the sports centre where I work

we have one from time to time

think Dendog has advertised it on here

Dunno if Clynton will be joining us but seemed keen

would love to mention someone he knows to him

but nevermind maybe someone will read this and remember him ...

I mean how many clyntons are there???? maybe he had a nickname will ask him then get back to you

Mand :lol:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert