Cd Swap November 2007

At last my 5 meter cable arrived and I'm now recording tracks, mine should be out within a day or so, so expect a Cd from me before the end of the week, sorry about the slow start!

Anybody know my opener from Odetta? Not a soul record as such, but what a track!

Odetta - Pastures Of Plenty / Soul Gospel CD

Rose Royce - Still In Love / Stronger than Ever Lp / Epic

Rev Jamel & Bob Johnson - Did you See Those Men / Funk 45

Sharon Jones & The Dap Kings -100 Days, 100 Nights / Daptone

Rhythm Machine - Whatcha Gonna Do / Rodan

Marion Black - Who Knows / Cap Soul

Barbara West - Oh Little Boy / Ronn

Zilla Mayes - All I Want is you / Tou - Sea

Pat & Pam - I Love you Yes I do / Our Own

Jackson Sisters - Shake Her Loose / Polydor

George Wydell - From Out of Nowhere / Tangerine

Kitty Love -The Power of Love / Dade

Barbara Jean English-Taste Sour Dont it / Unreleased Acetate

Brenda & The Tabulations - Thats in The Past / Top & Bottom

Jerry Butler - Stop Steppin on my Life / LP Track (Spice of Life)

Michael Henderson - In it for the Goodies / Buddah

Al Green - Keep on Pushing Love / RCA 12"

Skye - Aint no Need / Ananda

JNB - I'll Be The One / Glyn

The Turbulations - Everything Seems to Change / Guana

Aldora Britton - No Cookies in My Bag / Decca

Bill Withers-I Can't Write Left Handed (Live)/A Soldier's Sad story/Kent CD

The Caravans - Walk Around Heaven All Day / Birth Of Soul Volume 2

Mal.C.

Edited by Mal.C.
Social source share

• Replies 211
  • Views 15.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Nearly two weeks since I sent mine out so hopefully everyone will have it now inc Angie in the US - let me know if not, I 've received ten to date from the following -

Colin Dilnot

Ray Mahoney

John Lloyd

Biggray

Ruperts

Bully

Angie

John Reed

Jerry Welsh

Sean Doyle

Some great stuff on all of them - keep 'em coming

Mike

I've got those 10 plus yours Mike :thumbsup:

Working my way thru them but the quality of the ones i've played so far (including yours) is such that i'm giving them 2 or 3 plays thru, so it's taking some time BUT it ain't a chore, believe me!

Got mine ready for burning so they should be landing early next week

Cheers

Steve

Social source share

Guys, Can we all make a committment to get these sent out by Xmas?

I dont think thats too much, after all we will have had two months at it!

Enjoying the ones i have so far...mine should be out next week sometime.

Chris

Now that we have got the November CD swap out the way should we have one for December? wink.gif

Mike

Social source share

Hi Guys, posted my humble effort today TUESDAY 4TH, So all being well you should have it in the next couple of days. Please let me know if you don't get it. Enjoy

best regards fdsoul6345789

I've just burnt me master - should be able to burn them and send them all this week - so should be with you a week later than planned!

btw I've still have only received about 11 or 12 so still loads to come - what date is the 'cut off then name and shame date' Chris? :thumbsup:

Cheers

Steve

Social source share

I've just burnt me master - should be able to burn them and send them all this week - so should be with you a week later than planned!

btw I've still have only received about 11 or 12 so still loads to come - what date is the 'cut off then name and shame date' Chris? :thumbsup:

Cheers

Steve

I am one culprit - I am recording the last tracks tonght and 2morrow will post by the weekend. I have only recievd 8 so far - so I reckon the posties on the theive or making his own copies!

Social source share

btw I've still have only received about 11 or 12 so still loads to come - what date is the 'cut off then name and shame date' Chris? :rolleyes:

Well Steve, as we said before Xmas, and considering the fact that i aint done mine yet (have sorted all the tunes out though) we will say all must be received by Jan 1st...

Chris

Social source share

btw I've still have only received about 11 or 12 so still loads to come - what date is the 'cut off then name and shame date' Chris? wicked.gif

Well Steve, as we said before Xmas, and considering the fact that i aint done mine yet (have sorted all the tunes out though) we will say all must be received by Jan 1st...

Chris

That be fair enough Chris :D

Cheers

Steve

Social source share

Guest biggray1

To Fraser Dunn...Your Cdr arrived here today and have too tell you that The Roscoe Gordon Track has blown me away!aint never earholed this recording before,thanx mate,awesome and i must find it, oh and many thanx to all swappers who have sent me their Cd..AND TOO ALL SWAPPERS WHO HAVNT SENT ME THEIR CD :lol::lol::lol::lol: HURRY UP!!!! wave.gif:P

Social source share

Mal, got it couple of days agio. Brilliant. Love Zillie Mayes, Rev Jamel and Sharon Jones.

Oh and thanks for those other goodies. Call you later about 'unknown' tracks.

Cheers.

Sean

Social source share

I am one culprit - I am recording the last tracks tonght and 2morrow will post by the weekend. I have only recievd 8 so far - so I reckon the posties on the theive or making his own copies!

Mine posted and gone - will await critque! On the good news front I am up to 11 I think so ears are under assalut most of the day from some great tracks.

Social source share

Recorded my little effort tonight just burning them off now...should be out before the weekend.

I decided to keep true to the theme and really put things on the Cd that I`d just picked up, just heard or just rediscovered...mainly 70s and crossover....

Cheers, Chris

ps, anyone keeping a count? We need to name and shame those who receive but dont send this time...!

Social source share

Looks like my christmas wish list is getting longer and longer. My effort is in the post as of 11am this morning, i caught the postie emptying the post box and put them right in his sack!!!!!

Some fantastic things so far, and i've only managed to really listen to about half of the ones i've recieved so far.

Best thing i've heard in ages is the Carolyn Porter track on Monica.

Any back ground on when and where palyed and how much?

Cheers,

Social source share

Hi all,

I have burnt all the CD's now and I am just waiting for the mailing envelopes which should b e here tomorrow (Tuesday) then all being well they will be posted Wednesday, sorry for the delay but hopefully it will be worth it.

Onto the quality on the ones I have received so far, well I thought the 1st and 2nd swaps were awesome but this swap is matching the first two easily.

A CD with no name on it called an Eclectic pick n mix, some great tracks on here, I had only heard a handful before, fantastic track on there by North by Northeast called Pain of City Living.

Onto John Reed's CD again great stuff, stand out tracks were Pep Brown (so soulful) and Dorothy Morrison.

John Lloyds CD has alot of my personal favourites and out of the tracks I didn't know the ones that really grabbed me where the Mike Hanks , Aretha Franklin, Isley Brothers and Patti Drew tracks.

The Lovations, Gene Redding, Bits 'n' Pieces, The Invitations and Patti LaBelle & The Bluebells tracks from Mike Lofthouse'd CD were absolutely brilliant and mainly new to me.

Ange's CD was full to the brim with classics and quite a few I haven't heard for years such as Carl Carlton's 'So What', Wally Cox 'This man' and Sharon Scott.

Colin Dilnot's CD had on it one of my all favourites on by The Brown Bombers "Wait for me", when anyone last see this for sale, mega rare, also the brilliant Jean Wells on Calla plus many I've not heard before so I'm still playing them.

Onto Bully's CD and some great tracks by Carla Thomas, Ace Spectrum, The Visitors and the king Lamont Dozier.

Tracks by Ann Byers on Academy, 3 Pieces, Fir Ya, Cam Cameron and Tom Green were the highlights of Rupert CD, I'm sure there is more on there but like so many of the other CD's there is so many tracks that are new to me.

Anyway I've plenty more to listen too and I will feedback after I have played them.

Regards

Alan

Social source share

John, What About Stopping Drinking :thumbup:

The Rest Will Be Easy To Do :lol:

Here is my results from taking the on-line test on the drinkaware web-site https://www.drinkaware.co.uk/

"Your drinking may be causing you some problems.

We recommend that you speak to a health professional who can provide you with personalised drinking advice.

If you're worried about your own or someone else's drinking, you can also call this free helpline, in complete confidence. They can put you in touch with your local alcohol advice centre for help and advice. Call Drinkline on 0800 917 8282 (open 24 hours)."

Quite worrying results on initial viewing. I don't drink that often, and it's mainly when I go to soul nights. Maybe I should start driving to do's :thumbup: .

Point 3 is a tough one, as my wife sees my postie more than she sees me :( .

Social source share

Don't think anyone will learn much from my attempt but it is what i'm playing at home!

Sorry for delay

Dont put yourself down mate, i`m sure there will be some great tunes on there. Thats a good thing about this thread, they dont have to me rarities or even obscure cheapies, a good tune is a good tune and We are all guilty of forgetting tunes we once loved.....

Mine were posted today, so some of you will get them tomorrow, some in a couple of days...nothing amazing, some obvious stuff, some stuff i discovered under the bed last week, some DJ spins....etc

Chris.

Social source share

Guest Johnny Mack

Apologies to all, you'll need to cut me some slack - My NAD CD Recording deck has had 2 separate trips to the workshop in the last couple of months. The dealer has been stringing me along promising he'll get it sorted, but unfortunately the final diagnosis is terminal. After a long wait, he's been unable to come up with the replacement parts. It'll play CD's but wont record/dub........................could be worse I guess !

Now the good news - I've got a new Recorder on the way - it'll be here Friday.

Will get the CD's cut and mailed out after Xmas.

Best,

John

Social source share

Apologies to all, you'll need to cut me some slack - My NAD CD Recording deck has had 2 separate trips to the workshop in the last couple of months. The dealer has been stringing me along promising he'll get it sorted, but unfortunately the final diagnosis is terminal. After a long wait, he's been unable to come up with the replacement parts. It'll play CD's but wont record/dub........................could be worse I guess !

Now the good news - I've got a new Recorder on the way - it'll be here Friday.

Will get the CD's cut and mailed out after Xmas.

Best,

John

Best give you all the heads up well in advance.

Apologies but I won't be getting mine out in time for Christmas (the CD's that is!).

Intend to do them between Christmas and New Year.

And anyway, you've not had my previous one five minutes!

:lol:

Out first thing in the New Year... by which time I should be able to get to the records... and that's a promise!

Sean

Social source share

Had a bit of a 'mare with mine - think i had some dodgy blanks!

Anyways, most have been cut and are being posted either today or tomorrow.

Really enjoying all CD's so far, had another 4 or 5 arrive this week, so we're gettiing there with the numbers.

Cheers

Steve

Oops forgot to say.............and this isn't a plug (honest :D ) BUT if anyone's definitely coming to The Orwell on Friday 28th December, i can bring your CD along cos with the xmas post, you'll not get them before this date anyway!!!

PLMK

Cheers

Steve

Social source share

Guest soulmaguk

Hi,

have received a steady flow of excellent CDs. Received Mark George's today, many thanks.

Got ten of mine out a few weeks ago, other 19 all ready to go tommorrow.

Many Thanks

John Mitchell.

Social source share

Oops forgot to say.............and this isn't a plug (honest :thumbsup: ) BUT if anyone's definitely coming to The Orwell on Friday 28th December, i can bring your CD along cos with the xmas post, you'll not get them before this date anyway!!!

PLMK

Cheers

Steve

Can I let you know on the day Steve, providing I feel alright on the day we will be there.

Regards

Alan

Social source share

So who we still waiting for ?

Chris

Got John Mitchells's today, to date I have received the following -

Colin Dilnot

Ray Mahoney

John Lloyd

Biggray

Ruperts

Bully

Angie

John Reed

Jerry Welsh

Mal C

Sean Doyle

Gary Evans

Mark Anderson

Pat Biggerstaff

Mark George

Chris Anderton

John Mitchell

Fraser Dunn

Steve Plumb

Ady Pountain

Lete me know if I have I missed anyone.

I Expected one or two stragglers but ten or so ?

Which bit of ................. 'If your CD player has broken, your wife is about to leave you,you are gonna get flooded (sorry Sean!), you have a terminal disease or for whatever reason you think you may not be able to record a quality CD of soul music in the next 6 weeks , copy it 30 times and put it in the post....PLEASE DONT INCLUDE YOURSELF IN THE SWAP!!!' ....................... didn't you understand ? :lol:

You (or your PA) could of copied one CD every two days and still made the deadline!!!! :lol:

Still some great stuff on those received - many thanks to you all - some great listening and of course a nice list of 'wants'!!

Best Wishes

Mike

Social source share

As the guy who kind of organises this swap i feel responsible if people dont carry out their committment to send their Cds. In reality i cant do a whole lot about it, I only know a handful of the participents personally. When we get to the Jan 1st Deadline maybe I`ll email them and remind them that theirs is overdue. I`m hopeful that many of the guys still outstanding will have theirs in the post in the next few days.

I really couldn`t have made it any clearer in the beginning that you had 6 weeks to get it completed and there were to be no excuses this time.....

Still, as has been said already I have really enjoyed the ones I have received and had time to play so far.

To the rest of you.....Come on , get your bloody fingers out......

Chris.

Social source share

I've only just started mine, Mike... and expect it to be completed by the weekend.... but the PA is not back until 2nd Jan so it will have to follow soon after. :thumbup:

If it's any consolation I've not even had the time to listen to most of those received.

Have only unpacked and heard Rupert and John Reeds thus far (and awesome stuff they are too).

Guess I'm in for a treat.

Keep mulling over the tracklist for my own comp. Been enjoying so much good new material this past 6 months (as I've not been able to get at the remnants of my collection) but the past few days I've also been through a load of stuff I'd not been able to get to, so expect a few 'forgotten' and 'rediscovered' things to be included.

Finger is well and truly 'out' Chris and agree, there's no excuse for participating, receiving and not delivering...

...but patience is a virtue!

:thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest Johnny Mack

Well, the new recorder finally turnned up and also a big batch of mail including the CD's mailed to date and some nice records too..........Intrepids on Cotillion and Blenders on Le Sage to name a few. I hope you'll enjoy - I've put a few funky edged tunes on the CD including Ebonystic on Scream, together with some nice crossover, a few modern and some traditional northern. With the exception of the Ebonystic 45, its all stuff I've received in the last year.

Have cut the master and will get the copies made and mailed out on January 4 when the kids return to the UK.

Slowly going through the CD's received to date - so many great choices !

Take care and best wishes to all for 2008

John

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert