Cd Swap November 2007

Ok, New CD swap for November.....the theme this time will be ......da da da daaaarrrr "My current fave spins of the moment". This can be the things you have just bought, just discovered on an lp, some oldies you have forgotten about, tunes tucked away on a CD, rare, cheap, B-sides.... etc etc ......anything as long as its something you have been playing at home recently!

OK...Here are the instructions...they are very clear,

You must email your NAME, POSTAL ADDRESS and EMAIL address to chris.soul@btinternet.com . No Pms...No texts,No smoke signals, No "I emailed you last week", This starts NOW..........

The first 30 to respond are included....not 31, 32 0r 33...no matter who you are....If we have`nt got 30 by Sunday night then its closed and we will go with the number of people who have responded....

If your CD player has broken, your wife is about to leave you,you are gonna get flooded (sorry Sean!), you have a terminal disease or for whatever reason you think you may not be able to record a quality CD of soul music in the next 6 weeks , copy it 30 times and put it in the post....PLEASE DONT INCLUDE YOURSELF IN THE SWAP!!!

If you have not done it before, dont be shy, great way to hear new tunes.....

I await your emails......

I`ll update the number of participents as the weekend goes on...

Remember...its EMAIL.

Cheers, Chris

PS, Dont mean to be detrimental just spelling out the rules.....

Social source share

• Replies 211
  • Views 15.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

oooh Chris, I never knew you were so masterful....

I want to join in, but know that I'm wayyyy too unorganised, and have an aversion to authority - to get it all done and dusted in the 6 week timescale allowed.

You could always add me to the "she will if she can" list, :lol:

Failing that I could be the critic and write a review on each one :ohmy:

Social source share

Ok, New CD swap for November.....the theme this time will be ......da da da daaaarrrr "My current fave spins of the moment". This can be the things you have just bought, just discovered on an lp, some oldies you have forgotten about, tunes tucked away on a CD, rare, cheap, B-sides.... etc etc ......anything as long as its something you have been playing at home recently!

You must email your NAME, POSTAL ADDRESS and EMAIL address to chris.soul@btinternet.com . No Pms...No texts,No smoke signals, No "I emailed you last week", This starts NOW..........

The first 30 to respond are included....not 31, 32 0r 33...no matter who you are....If we have`nt got 30 by Sunday night then its closed and we will go with the number of people who have responded....

If your CD player has broken, your wife is about to leave you,you are gonna get flooded (sorry Sean!), you have a terminal disease or for whatever reason you think you may not be able to record a quality CD of soul music in the next 6 weeks , copy it 30 times and put it in the post....PLEASE DONT INCLUDE YOURSELF IN THE SWAP!!!

Remember...its EMAIL.

Cheers, Chris

emailed you Chris, cheers Mark.

Social source share

Remember...its EMAIL.

Cheers, Chris

Hi Chris, have emailed you my details.

Regards

Alan

Social source share

Are People from the States allowed to join in?, they can be posted to my mum in Norfolk.

Angie

Edited by gb2nyc
Social source share

Currently standing at 20 people included in the Swap. If you are not listed below you aint in yet!

Still plenty of room for some more...

Bully

Tony Turner

Angie (USA)

Rupert Burdass

Colin Dilnot

Rich Phelan

gary Evans

John Lloyd

John Reed

Paul Toole

John Mitchell

Mark Anderson

Malc Collins

patrick Biggerstaff

Alan Pollard

Graham Dexter

Ady Pontain

mark George

Sean Hampsey

Me

Cheers, Chris

Social source share

Currently standing at 20 people included in the Swap. If you are not listed below you aint in yet!

Still plenty of room for some more...

Bully

Tony Turner

Angie (USA)

Rupert Burdass

Colin Dilnot

Rich Phelan

gary Evans

John Lloyd

John Reed

Paul Toole

John Mitchell

Mark Anderson

Malc Collins

patrick Biggerstaff

Alan Pollard

Graham Dexter

Ady Pontain

mark George

Sean Hampsey

Me

Cheers, Chris

Where's Eddie Hubbard, we can't have a CD swap without him, come on Eddie get your name down mate.

Regards

Alan

Social source share

I know I'm going to regret this :wave:

Put me down if 30 ain't been reached yet (I'll email you my addy again Christopher!)

Looking down that list made me realise the wealth of good stuff that will be on those CD's (and vice-versa :wave: )

I know i said i hadn't time BUT reckon i need to make time methinks?

Cheers

Steve

Social source share

Woo Hoo I'm in again. Been thinking about what to put together and some of the drawbacks i have come across are:

Some of the recent purchase have been as a result of previous swaps, so can't put them on.

"what you have been listening to" could be a self fulfilling category, as you play things to inspire you to do the compilation those things are then the most recently played!!!

Has any bright young spark put together a spreadsheet or list of everybody's Cd track listing to help avoid loads of repeats?

I think mine will be a mixture of recent purchases and interesting B sides which i trawled through when i put together a CD for myself recently.

Social source share

OK four more added to the final list.....Total will be 28 by my maths.

John McRae

Steve Plumb

Jerry Walsh

Sean Doyle

Thats it then...kept it open longer than i originally said....the CD swap is now closed.

If you missed this one we will do it again in the Spring/ Summer...

Remember the Theme "Big in the bedroom" or "Fave current spins"... just things you are playing around the house or car, things you have just bought or just discovered you have had for years...LP tracks, B-sides...forgotten oldies...commercial stuff...rarities....cheapies....but please dont turn it into an ego trip and do a CD of major rarities nobody can afford (unless thats all you play)!

I`ll get the addresses out as soon as i can...hopefully later tonight....

Can i just ask that everyone makes the effort to get the Cds out before Xmas this time. I`ll even try and keep a checklist this time!

Good luck and enjoy the tunes...

Chris

Social source share

Ok, The addresses have been email out to everyone..if you have`nt received them please get in touch and i`ll send them again..

Time to get recording and look forward to some nice tunes coming thru the letter box.

Just playing Seans from last time, some nice stuff mate, really enjoying it....but though you may have included "Wade in the water"! (Someone must have done that one already?)

Chris

Social source share

Ok, The addresses have been email out to everyone..if you have`nt received them please get in touch and i`ll send them again..

Time to get recording and look forward to some nice tunes coming thru the letter box.

Just playing Seans from last time, some nice stuff mate, really enjoying it....but though you may have included "Wade in the water"! (Someone must have done that one already?)

Chris

Had a last minute change of heart but was away from the pc and did not get on till after the deadline. Oh well there is always next time. As for MR HAMPSEY his cd arrived with me this morning but no track listing. Where is the list my best Yorkshire buddy? Thanks to Chris for the other TWO swaps just sorry I missed out.

regards fdsoul6345789

Social source share

Had a last minute change of heart but was away from the pc and did not get on till after the deadline. Oh well there is always next time. As for MR HAMPSEY his cd arrived with me this morning but no track listing. Where is the list my best Yorkshire buddy? Thanks to Chris for the other TWO swaps just sorry I missed out.

regards fdsoul6345789

Come on Chris - let ole Fraser on board - deadline may have gone but still two names short - i'd love a CD of current Fraser spins!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Steve

Social source share

Fraser, Just post your address on here mate...save me sending 29 emails out.

Cheers, Chris

With the support of the organiser and the guys who posted their views for my inclusion I have been included in the cd swap. Thanks guys for your support it is appreciated only hope my humble efforts will be worth waiting for. My address to send me your copy of your cd is:--

FRASER DUNN

130 BALDWIN AVENUE

GLASGOW

G13 JU

Social source share

With the support of the organiser and the guys who posted their views for my inclusion I have been included in the cd swap. Thanks guys for your support it is appreciated only hope my humble efforts will be worth waiting for. My address to send me your copy of your cd is:--

FRASER DUNN

130 BALDWIN AVENUE

GLASGOW

G13 JU

Oh, you're gonna have to perform now Sir :lol:

No pressure then :huh:

Cheers

Steve

Social source share

FRASER DUNN

130 BALDWIN AVENUE

GLASGOW

G13 JU

Yer postcode is cut short mate? Or is it G1 3JU?

Please let us all know the real one?

Cheers

Steve

Social source share

Hi Everyone

Just finished my CD. I thought I'd write a brief commentary to go with my tracklisting. My choice of sides to play these days seems to be dominated by what is happening with my blog In Dangerous Rhythm - reviewing tracks/CDs, picking up new stuff from MySpace, digging into the vaults, searching out tracks for mixes etc. So I have pulled out some sides which I played in the last week which reflect what I have been writing about recently or planning to write about in the near future:

1. Your Sirs There's Something The Matter Magic City

My last vinyl buy from Mr Thorley and a long time want. I am a big fan of Oliver Cheatham on lead here in the group who morphed from Mad Dog & The Pups and then became Gaslight. Now I have the missing 45 I can go ahead and write about the various groups Oliver led.

2. Willie Tee You Gonna Pay Some Dues Bonatemp

This track is featured in my next article for There's That Beat which is a retrospective on the career of Willie Tee who died earlier this year. I think this is his rarest 45 - unfortunately I don't own it - burnt off the Night Train CD which contains the equally good Ain't That True Baby which is the flip. I only realised that this existed when I picked it up in an NO shop on a trip from a few years ago.

3. J.C. Davis Monkey Chess

One of the biggest influences on my listening and collecting in recent years has been Matt Weingarden aka Mr Finewine and his fab show on WFMU Stateside. This track is what is claassed as a tittyshaker and was in Matt's top 10 tittyshakers featured on Martin Lawrie's Soul Generation site. Perhaps my collecting has gone completely retro these days as a lot of new release drove me to absolutely despair!!! This and another 10 tittyshakers will be featured on my blog in the near future.

4. Ideals Go Go Gorilla Satellite

This cropped up because my mate Nick Sands dropped me a couple of CD-Rs of tracks he was going to play a the Lou Pride gig at the 100 Club last Thursday. I had already featured this track on my blog for a feature on go-go dancing - seemed appropriate after one crazy Monkey tune to follow it with one on gorillas!

5. Nathaniel Mayer I Want Love Affection Not The House Of Correction Fortune

Burnt off the new Vampisoul compilation on the man and absolute must for fans of earthy, guttural R&B/Soul. Again it was lying around after I reviewed the CD. I also included this track on a recent mix called Time & Place featuring soul tunes which refer to places such as the house of correction.

6. The Johnny Otis Show Keep The Faith Pt 2

I am currently reading Johnny's book Upside Your Head and this track dropped through the door on a CD called Soul Groove Vol 1 on Marginal - this CD is full of groovers, rough grinders or tittyshakers - sort of where I am at for the moment - kind of circa 1965 in a small go-go bar!!!!

7. Cassietta George Let's Get Together Audio Arts

I have recently featured 2 mixes on my blog featuring political themed soul and 1 for a blog called Souled On. Therefore, I have been on the look out for more sides to feature on a 4th mix. I fell on this after hearing it on the Net.

8. Judy Freeman & Blackrock Don't Do It Anymore RCA

Another recent buy - I actually first heard this in a CD swap many monns ago - long overdue buy and was still at the front of my plays box!

9. Raw Soul with Frankie Beverly You Left Me Eldorado

I've had this for years and dug it out when some mates dropped around - it was still in my play box and fell out again this week. Philly label and possibly his most obscure track??? Bought this off the Bowl 25 plus years ago - an early indication of those mellow classic which he went on to record.

10. Face Value Don't Go And Leave Me Blue 97-01 Records CD Washington Lost Soul

This is taken off a great CD called Washington Lost Soul put together by Carl "Maxx" Kidd featuring issued and unissued tracks. This blew me away from the moment I head it on the Net and apparently was issued on Uncle Nephew?? Awaiting review on the blog!!

11. Eugene Blacknell & The Savonics Jump Back Luv N' Haight CD

The guys over at Luv N' Haight are high up on my Christmas card list because they have issued some stunning stuff over the years - when they told me about this one coming out I was salivating!!! Cult hero from Oakland - I have a thing about Oakland music and this CD filled a big gap but had the bonus of plenty of unissued. Again, one which I featured on the blog and this track gets played every other day!!!

12. Willie Gresham I Cried Boo Hoo Majestic

Again, another recent vinyl buy off the Net lurking in my play box - love these offbeat, driving pieces with cracking vocals - the advent of seeing and hearing your sides for sale on the Net makes it so hard for the vinyl addicted to resist!!!

13. Wylie Trass That Soul Thing Pt 1 ABC

This came from the same source as the above. Wylie was Freddie Hughes's partner in the Casanova 11 - I have been after this for some time - just love these kind of records!!!

14. Cody Black Love Like I Never Had Ram-Brock

Another from the front of my plays box - there was a recent thread on Soul Source about how difficult some "cheap" records are to find. I've known about this for years having had on tape from the early 80's but could I find one - I could have bought his rarities several times over before this - why - was I unlucky??? Thanks to Ady Pierce I finally got one.

15. Jean Wells With My Love And What You've Got Calla

I hadn't listened to this for years until last week I was sent a MP3 to identify by a reader of my blog - always a firm favourite but it must be years since I played it!!!! The way Jean says "Let me love you..." Oh dear - and Bert DeCoteaux's driving production Superb!!

16. The Brown Bombers & Soul Partners Wait For Me Goldmine CD

I was trawling through my CDs looking for instrumentals I had forgotten about and this popped up on Goldmine's Detroit Undercover - I seem to recall it so well but from where I cannot remember????

17. The Acoustics I'm Gonna Stay In A Hurry 97-01 CD

Back to the Washington Lost Soul CD for the group who had the Cheery Blossom 45 with an unfinished track which was left in the can - lovely harmonies!

18. Billy Garner You're Wasting My Time New Day

Oh yes - played every week since I first heard it - on my list of records to play when I am down - Otis Clay Baby Jane and Johnny Sayles I Can't Get Enough are in same bag - the kind of soul I'd play if was talented enough to be an artist.

19. The Jazz Crusaders Agua Dulce Pacific Jazz LP Chile Con Soul

Always partial to a spot of jazz and I picked this up as it was another recommended tittyshaker on Martin Lawrie's website. Cool man!!!!

20. Dave Hamilton Soul Suite BGP CD Detroit City Grooves

The Ace CDs featuring Dave are amongst my favouite CDs from the company. Another track I play every week and simply marvel at the construction of the music and wish I could do the same!!!!!

21. Explosions feat. Juanita Brooks Garden Of Four Trees Goldmine CD This Funky Thing

Unfortunately, I don't have this on vinyl - dug out for a future Time & Place mix on the blog. I probably listen to more funk these days than any other style of music.

22. Sandi & Matues The World Jazzman CD

Jazzman Gerald has been another big influence on my listening and buying in recent years - taken from Jazzman's CD The World's Rarest Funk 45s - sort of 45 I would have snapped up in the 70's if I had known it!!!!

23. Diane Jenkins Ready Made Family Creative Funk

Back to the vinyl - a complex slow song from a lady I admire and have spent many hours trying to find for interview - her 45s are lying around the room as talismans in the hope she might turn up!!! Gorgeous way to end the CD-R.

I will get the CDs out asap.

Cheers

Colin

https://indangerousrhythm.blogspot.com/

Social source share

Hi Everyone

Just finished my CD. I thought I'd write a brief commentary to go with my tracklisting. My choice of sides to play these days seems to be dominated by what is happening with my blog In Dangerous Rhythm - reviewing tracks/CDs, picking up new stuff from MySpace, digging into the vaults, searching out tracks for mixes etc. So I have pulled out some sides which I played in the last week which reflect what I have been writing about recently or planning to write about in the near future:

1. Your Sirs There's Something The Matter Magic City

My last vinyl buy from Mr Thorley and a long time want. I am a big fan of Oliver Cheatham on lead here in the group who morphed from Mad Dog & The Pups and then became Gaslight. Now I have the missing 45 I can go ahead and write about the various groups Oliver led.

2. Willie Tee You Gonna Pay Some Dues Bonatemp

This track is featured in my next article for There's That Beat which is a retrospective on the career of Willie Tee who died earlier this year. I think this is his rarest 45 - unfortunately I don't own it - burnt off the Night Train CD which contains the equally good Ain't That True Baby which is the flip. I only realised that this existed when I picked it up in an NO shop on a trip from a few years ago.

3. J.C. Davis Monkey Chess

One of the biggest influences on my listening and collecting in recent years has been Matt Weingarden aka Mr Finewine and his fab show on WFMU Stateside. This track is what is claassed as a tittyshaker and was in Matt's top 10 tittyshakers featured on Martin Lawrie's Soul Generation site. Perhaps my collecting has gone completely retro these days as a lot of new release drove me to absolutely despair!!! This and another 10 tittyshakers will be featured on my blog in the near future.

4. Ideals Go Go Gorilla Satellite

This cropped up because my mate Nick Sands dropped me a couple of CD-Rs of tracks he was going to play a the Lou Pride gig at the 100 Club last Thursday. I had already featured this track on my blog for a feature on go-go dancing - seemed appropriate after one crazy Monkey tune to follow it with one on gorillas!

5. Nathaniel Mayer I Want Love Affection Not The House Of Correction Fortune

Burnt off the new Vampisoul compilation on the man and absolute must for fans of earthy, guttural R&B/Soul. Again it was lying around after I reviewed the CD. I also included this track on a recent mix called Time & Place featuring soul tunes which refer to places such as the house of correction.

6. The Johnny Otis Show Keep The Faith Pt 2

I am currently reading Johnny's book Upside Your Head and this track dropped through the door on a CD called Soul Groove Vol 1 on Marginal - this CD is full of groovers, rough grinders or tittyshakers - sort of where I am at for the moment - kind of circa 1965 in a small go-go bar!!!!

7. Cassietta George Let's Get Together Audio Arts

I have recently featured 2 mixes on my blog featuring political themed soul and 1 for a blog called Souled On. Therefore, I have been on the look out for more sides to feature on a 4th mix. I fell on this after hearing it on the Net.

8. Judy Freeman & Blackrock Don't Do It Anymore RCA

Another recent buy - I actually first heard this in a CD swap many monns ago - long overdue buy and was still at the front of my plays box!

9. Raw Soul with Frankie Beverly You Left Me Eldorado

I've had this for years and dug it out when some mates dropped around - it was still in my play box and fell out again this week. Philly label and possibly his most obscure track??? Bought this off the Bowl 25 plus years ago - an early indication of those mellow classic which he went on to record.

10. Face Value Don't Go And Leave Me Blue 97-01 Records CD Washington Lost Soul

This is taken off a great CD called Washington Lost Soul put together by Carl "Maxx" Kidd featuring issued and unissued tracks. This blew me away from the moment I head it on the Net and apparently was issued on Uncle Nephew?? Awaiting review on the blog!!

11. Eugene Blacknell & The Savonics Jump Back Luv N' Haight CD

The guys over at Luv N' Haight are high up on my Christmas card list because they have issued some stunning stuff over the years - when they told me about this one coming out I was salivating!!! Cult hero from Oakland - I have a thing about Oakland music and this CD filled a big gap but had the bonus of plenty of unissued. Again, one which I featured on the blog and this track gets played every other day!!!

12. Willie Gresham I Cried Boo Hoo Majestic

Again, another recent vinyl buy off the Net lurking in my play box - love these offbeat, driving pieces with cracking vocals - the advent of seeing and hearing your sides for sale on the Net makes it so hard for the vinyl addicted to resist!!!

13. Wylie Trass That Soul Thing Pt 1 ABC

This came from the same source as the above. Wylie was Freddie Hughes's partner in the Casanova 11 - I have been after this for some time - just love these kind of records!!!

14. Cody Black Love Like I Never Had Ram-Brock

Another from the front of my plays box - there was a recent thread on Soul Source about how difficult some "cheap" records are to find. I've known about this for years having had on tape from the early 80's but could I find one - I could have bought his rarities several times over before this - why - was I unlucky??? Thanks to Ady Pierce I finally got one.

15. Jean Wells With My Love And What You've Got Calla

I hadn't listened to this for years until last week I was sent a MP3 to identify by a reader of my blog - always a firm favourite but it must be years since I played it!!!! The way Jean says "Let me love you..." Oh dear - and Bert DeCoteaux's driving production Superb!!

16. The Brown Bombers & Soul Partners Wait For Me Goldmine CD

I was trawling through my CDs looking for instrumentals I had forgotten about and this popped up on Goldmine's Detroit Undercover - I seem to recall it so well but from where I cannot remember????

17. The Acoustics I'm Gonna Stay In A Hurry 97-01 CD

Back to the Washington Lost Soul CD for the group who had the Cheery Blossom 45 with an unfinished track which was left in the can - lovely harmonies!

18. Billy Garner You're Wasting My Time New Day

Oh yes - played every week since I first heard it - on my list of records to play when I am down - Otis Clay Baby Jane and Johnny Sayles I Can't Get Enough are in same bag - the kind of soul I'd play if was talented enough to be an artist.

19. The Jazz Crusaders Agua Dulce Pacific Jazz LP Chile Con Soul

Always partial to a spot of jazz and I picked this up as it was another recommended tittyshaker on Martin Lawrie's website. Cool man!!!!

20. Dave Hamilton Soul Suite BGP CD Detroit City Grooves

The Ace CDs featuring Dave are amongst my favouite CDs from the company. Another track I play every week and simply marvel at the construction of the music and wish I could do the same!!!!!

21. Explosions feat. Juanita Brooks Garden Of Four Trees Goldmine CD This Funky Thing

Unfortunately, I don't have this on vinyl - dug out for a future Time & Place mix on the blog. I probably listen to more funk these days than any other style of music.

22. Sandi & Matues The World Jazzman CD

Jazzman Gerald has been another big influence on my listening and buying in recent years - taken from Jazzman's CD The World's Rarest Funk 45s - sort of 45 I would have snapped up in the 70's if I had known it!!!!

23. Diane Jenkins Ready Made Family Creative Funk

Back to the vinyl - a complex slow song from a lady I admire and have spent many hours trying to find for interview - her 45s are lying around the room as talismans in the hope she might turn up!!! Gorgeous way to end the CD-R.

I will get the CDs out asap.

Cheers

Colin

https://indangerousrhythm.blogspot.com/

Wow!

I am now glad i put me name back on the list!

Can't wait to hear this as i only know/have a couple of them :thumbsup:

Nice one Colin

Cheers

Steve

ps Mr Hampsey please get your PA to fire out that track listing of your 'Soul within reach' please!

Social source share

Wow!

I am now glad i put me name back on the list!

Can't wait to hear this as i only know/have a couple of them :thumbsup:

Nice one Colin

Cheers

Steve

ps Mr Hampsey please get your PA to fire out that track listing of your 'Soul within reach' please!

Yes please Mr Hampsey track listing for your cd my man

My addy for the swap is:-- FRASER DUNN

130 BALDWIN AVENUE

GLASGOW

G13 2JU

CHEERS GUYS

Social source share

Bloody hell.................... Colin that was fast did you stay up all night? I am still deciding on the design to put on the cd. I think mine will take a wee bit longer.

Looking forward to hearing it though.

Angie

Social source share

hey...this is what its all about...hearing good new music...

Hope everyone enjoys the swap...

remember, its all about what you are playing at home, in the car, just found etc etc..no egos...does`nt matter if you think its an obvious oldie or you think everyone else will know it......just some quality soul music........

Chris

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert