Mariachi Northern

macca

Guest vinylvixen

Sombrero Soul is a great genre but I'm not even convinced that Mariachi Soul is a subset.

:g:Hmm, I need to have serious discussion with Alan :yes:

Personally I'm slightly more interested in whether Cornetto Vendor Soul (big voiced ballads typically sung by Italian Americans a la Tony Middleton) can include anything by Tom Jones? Thoughts anyone? Gareth/Alan/Jo?

Again, an excellent point Stuart.....I think the Explosive Mr Jones is a sub genre in his own right...Las Vegas Larynx so I don't think he can qualify to be a member of the CVS Genre....not quite 'Cornetto' enough :yes:

Social source share

• Replies 66
  • Views 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Two soul tunes that sounds with mexican reminiscenses to my ears:

- The O'Jays: "Rented Tuxedo"

- The Dramatics: "I'll Make It So Good" (the vocals at the intro is totally "mariachi style")

Peace & Soul Food (and a salute to Macca from another spaniard, from Tarragona)

Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

Oi Tyler!

mexican soul?????? surely then where talking the best of the lot "spanish maiden" by tony middleton.Blimey i see the soul scene still likes a good chat..

:yes:

greg

Oi Greg....I've already put that one....you must have tons of 'Sombrero Soul' tucked away. Reveal all :yes: Jo x

Social source share

Guest Stuart T

Oi Tyler!

mexican soul?????? surely then where talking the best of the lot "spanish maiden" by tony middleton.Blimey i see the soul scene still likes a good chat..

:yes:

greg

Its all Frynn's fault. And anyhow Tony M is a Cornetto Vendor/Sombrero Soul Crossover type record surely?

Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

Its all Frynn's fault. And anyhow Tony M is a Cornetto Vendor/Sombrero Soul Crossover type record surely?

He's multi talented, that Mr Middleton - one minute he can rustle up a CVS ballad and the next minute a nifty piece of Sombrero Soul. Tip Top Tony :yes: Jo

Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

Brilliant Thread this. I could do with a compilation of this stuff NOW!

I'm going to dig around and see if I can find a few - I know they're in there somewhere...........

Ian D

Ian, I'll play you a couple if you're coming down with Alan Champ on Nov 24th to the TOS'ers - I mean PTP's 50th.... :rolleyes: Jo

Social source share

Guest rockcandy

Ian, I'll play you a couple if you're coming down with Alan Champ on Nov 24th to the TOS'ers - I mean PTP's 50th.... :rolleyes: Jo

I have no idea what you mean by "Mariachi Northern" but have you considered Renaldo Domino - Don't Go Away on Smash Records :unsure:

Regards

Paul

Social source share

Ian, I'll play you a couple if you're coming down with Alan Champ on Nov 24th to the TOS'ers - I mean PTP's 50th.... :huh: Jo

Yep, Champy rang me yesterday so I've put it in my diary! Be great if we could get Stuart Cosgrove and Caesar down as well - that'd make for a great night I'm sure!

Best,

Ian D

Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

Yep, Champy rang me yesterday so I've put it in my diary! Be great if we could get Stuart Cosgrove and Caesar down as well - that'd make for a great night I'm sure!

Best,

Ian D

Cake, sombrero soul and lovely people....sounds my kind of night :huh:

Social source share

sombrero - any kind of hat, not necessarily the huge mexican jobbie.

mariachi? those blokes with big hats, huge guitars & brass instruments

that erroll flynn always had in tow around hollywood.

& flamenco has feck all to do with mexico, our amigo dante will tell you that, verdad compadre?

estos hijos de la gran chingada no tienen ni puta idea!

keep 'em coming folks, it's most interesting!

M

Ni puta idea jaja Pero ya ir¡n aprendiendo con el tiempo :thumbup:

A lot of good tunes over here.

See you soon, macca...

Dante

Social source share

Ni puta idea jaja Pero ya ir¡n aprendiendo con el tiempo :ohmy:

A lot of good tunes over here.

See you soon, macca...

Dante

Hola Dante, Tibablar lotro dia pa ver si tabas bien :unsure: . Mexico, Cuernavaca, Sumiya tuvo chido!!! :thumbup::lol: tode volaa :lol: tscribo luego Found by chance lots of 1950s 1960s videos of Holligans, Teens, Locos, etc on Utube, some good Soul covers there. Enjoy them, I did. Pal terrunio pa posadas :yes:

Social source share

Fortune teller and Im standing, dont they have the old casta doo daas?

Actually after watching the movie 'From Dusk til Dawn', I wont be going to Mechicho, for a while!!!!

Its amazing that the Los Angeles 'Low Rider' scene love the flip sides (slow) to our 'Dancer' records, for example the Heartbreakers - Ive got to face it - Derby City.

Admirations another example.

Ed

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert