Mariachi Northern

macca

I can think of two. The Majestics & Johnny Caswell. Any others?

I'm thinking of going to Mexico City next year, so I'd like to go armed. Probably get disapproving looks!!

M

Dante can probably confirm this last point... :-)

Edited by macca
Social source share

• Replies 66
  • Views 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Bud Harper out of my price range, sadly. Shame 'cos it's a top tune. Didn't know the Majestics were Mexicans.

Cojonudo!!

M

p.s. If the Bud Harper horns are Tex-Mex, we can also add most of Bobby Bland's early to mid 60's stuff to the list, no?

Edited by macca
Social source share

A lot of the Duke/Peacock/Sure Shot records exhibit this kind of flavour. A really good one is Bobby Williams "When You Play You Gotta Pay" on Sure Shot. Although he was a Detroit artist this sounds as though it may have been recorded in Houston and the brass is very Mariachi. Guitars are played to sound like mandolins etc.

Edited by garethx
Social source share

A lot of the Duke/Peacock/Sure Shot records exhibit this kind of flavour. A really good one is Bobby Williams "When You Play You Gotta Pay" on Sure Shot. Although he was a Detroit artist this sounds as though it may have been recorded in Houston and the brass is very Mariachi. Guitars are played to sound like mandolins etc.

:thumbup: Good shout.

Try this one:

John Parker - Just A Thing Called Love, on Brunswick

"STOLEN HOURS" 1st Anniversary, ***RAMSGATE*** 24th NOVEMBER.

2 Rooms + Accomodation + Free unissued Vinyl (first 100 tickets)

*** Change of venue - see Events thread ***

Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

I can think of two. The Majestics & Johnny Caswell. Any others?

I'm thinking of going to Mexico City next year, so I'd like to go armed. Probably get disapproving looks!!

M

Dante can probably confirm this last point... :-)

Mariachi Northern??? I think you mean Sombrero Soul - a long and distinguished sub genre of Northern.... yes.gif

Junior Parker - These Kind of Blues

Ambertones - Cruisin'

Chuck Jackson - Castinets

Doug Banks - Kept on Dancin' - has a slight El Paso flavour to it

I'll consult my good friend, Alan H who also has a deep love of Sombrero Soul.... :thumbup: Jo

Edited by vinylvixen
Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

I'm gonna get laughed at here, honestly I'm either reading that word wrong, or I'm just not that with it, what does Mariachi Northern??? mean?

Mal:)

Mal, think Sombrero Soul.....big brass with a south of the border feel to it....castinets, off the shoulder flamenco soul skirts, brogues with spurs on and dj lassoing contests :thumbup: I'll ask Alan and get some more titles up....Jo

Social source share

Mal, think Sombrero Soul.....big brass with a south of the border feel to it....castinets, off the shoulder flamenco soul skirts, brogues with spurs on and dj lassoing contests :thumbup: I'll ask Alan and get some more titles up....Jo

Romance Watson - Where does that leave me

Bit too slow? Always thought this could have been in a Spaghetti Weston, Clint and the Pistolero sidle up for the shoot out during the horns break?

Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

David Coleman with the Hector Rivera Orch - Drown my heart

Hector Rivera - Chance for Romance - the brass break in this is GENIUS...

Edited by vinylvixen
Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

Romance Watson - Where does that leave me

Bit too slow? Always thought this could have been in a Spaghetti Weston, Clint and the Pistolero sidle up for the shoot out during the horns break?

I can go with that...Or where the love interest senorita tries to throw herself in front of her gun toting man and gets trodden into the dust......top choice, Simon

Social source share

sombrero - any kind of hat, not necessarily the huge mexican jobbie.

mariachi? those blokes with big hats, huge guitars & brass instruments

that erroll flynn always had in tow around hollywood.

& flamenco has feck all to do with mexico, our amigo dante will tell you that, verdad compadre?

estos hijos de la gran chingada no tienen ni puta idea!

keep 'em coming folks, it's most interesting!

M

Social source share

Mariachi Northern??? I think you mean Sombrero Soul - a long and distinguished sub genre of Northern.... yes.gif

Junior Parker - These Kind of Blues

Ambertones - Cruisin'

Chuck Jackson - Castinets

Doug Banks - Kept on Dancin' - has a slight El Paso flavour to it

I'll consult my good friend, Alan H who also has a deep love of Sombrero Soul.... :thumbup: Jo

sombrero soul. good to know. doug banks I think is a perfect example. I can smell the enchiladas now...

Social source share

It should be borne in mind that the type of record under discussion here is not merely any latin-soul or latin influenced record. Much New York City soul of the early 60s exhibited a pronounced latin influence, but this is usually from Cuban, Puerto-Rican and other Afro-Caribbean influences.

The Mariachi sound is specifically Mexican and is evident in some of the Duke Peacock records and in things like the Roosevelt & 7Cs on Rondo and some other Texan soul and R&B records.

To be honest The Majestics doesn't really have too much of it although they were an Angeleno group: i.e. Mexicans living in Los Angeles.

Johnny Caswell is a good example although I'm at a loss to categorise which market this particular record was aimed at, and can only really come down on the side of camp pop for the discotheque using a Mexican influence as homage to contempraneously hip films such as The Magnificent 7. Basically I think it was light hearted in intent: John Madara will know for sure.

Edited by garethx
Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

sombrero soul. good to know. doug banks I think is a perfect example. I can smell the enchiladas now...

I think Doug could have worn a cummerband while recording this, just to get into the vibe....

Maybe someone could throw a bit of light on the Ambertones. I bought 'Cruisin' off Randy Cozens and it's a mad tune. In the middle of the instrumental, someone says the line 'eh senor, do you want to go cruisin'....got no idea where or when this was recorded. Jo

Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

sombrero - any kind of hat, not necessarily the huge mexican jobbie.

mariachi? those blokes with big hats, huge guitars & brass instruments

that erroll flynn always had in tow around hollywood.

& flamenco has feck all to do with mexico, our amigo dante will tell you that, verdad compadre?

estos hijos de la gran chingada no tienen ni puta idea!

keep 'em coming folks, it's most interesting!

M

Macca, the flameco soul skirt was more of a 'look' to get Mal's juices flowing and now you've got my juices going by mentioning Errol Flynn :lol: . I know all about flamenco - I lived next door to a traditional flamenco singer and he practised on his balcony during the summer - in the middle of Whitechapel laugh.gif He had an amazing voice.......very penetrating. BTW, did you know that Puta was the Roman goddess of pruning vines and bushes...before it became a word used for rather more dubious use...Jo

I'm loving this thread :thumbup:

Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

It should be borne in mind that the type of record under discussion here is not merely any latin-soul or latin influenced record. Much New York City soul of the early 60s exhibited a pronounced latin influence, but this is usually from Cuban, Puerto-Rican and other Afro-Caribbean influences.

The Mariachi sound is specifically Mexican and is evident in some of the Duke Peacock records and in things like the Roosevelt & 7Cs on Rondo and some other Texan soul and R&B records.

To be honest The Majestics doesn't really have too much of it although they were an Angeleno group: i.e. Mexicans living in Los Angeles.

Johnny Caswell is a good example although I'm at a loss to categorise which market this particular record was aimed at, and can only really come down on the side of camp pop for the discotheque using a Mexican influence as homage to contempraneously hip films such as The Magnificent 7. Basically I think it was light hearted in intent: John Madara will know for sure.

It's a tough one then.....I was OK with the Junior Parker Pt 1 (not 2) with the brass intro...not so good with the Chuck Jackson. Off for a rethink :thumbup: Jo

Social source share

well done gareth. informative & concise. the students have to be brought into line once in a while. it's for their own good.

Social source share

what about the San Antonio stuff on Key Loc??

Sunny & The Sunliners

Sunny Ozuna

The Sunliners

etc..

I have a theory that the reason the Brown eyed Soul stuff had those 'Mexican' sounding horn style was because of the reed settings on their horns. If you listen to Conjunto or Norteno music, you can hear the stand-out horn style that is so relevant in the genre. I think that when they decided to produce R&B and Soul, they really didn't adjust their horns at all and simply blew the only way the knew how to. Thus, you get that distinct gritty, Mexican sounding brass. just a thought.

Social source share

Very interesting points.

Where this is really evident, oddly enough is the Mickey & The Soul Generation stuff.. Not sure why, but they really have those brassy sounding tones that I speak of. Specifically, "Joint Session" and "The Whazit."

Social source share

what about the San Antonio stuff on Key Loc??

Sunny & The Sunliners

Sunny Ozuna

The Sunliners

etc..

I have a theory that the reason the Brown eyed Soul stuff had those 'Mexican' sounding horn style was because of the reed settings on their horns. If you listen to Conjunto or Norteno music, you can hear the stand-out horn style that is so relevant in the genre. I think that when they decided to produce R&B and Soul, they really didn't adjust their horns at all and simply blew the only way the knew how to. Thus, you get that distinct gritty, Mexican sounding brass. just a thought.

"reed settings"? Brass instruments don't have reeds, maybe the only 'horn' with a reed is a saxophone.

Social source share

"reed settings"? Brass instruments don't have reeds, maybe the only 'horn' with a reed is a saxophone.

thank you for the clarification.

"the reed settings on their Saxophones which contribute to the brass section.."

Social source share

Guest Stuart T

Thats what I was thinking. I reckon that the records that sound mariachi are that way because they used a load of Mexicans in the brass section who play in particular key and scales and they just played the track in their own style rather than it being how they tuned their instruments? Sombrero Soul is a great genre but I'm not even convinced that Mariachi Soul is a subset.

Personally I'm slightly more interested in whether Cornetto Vendor Soul (big voiced ballads typically sung by Italian Americans a la Tony Middleton) can include anything by Tom Jones? Thoughts anyone? Gareth/Alan/Jo?

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert