Great 45s Issued Only On Reissue Labels

Guest TONY ROUNCE

• Replies 57
  • Views 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Sorry I always thought the guidance on any thread is usually taken by one of the early postings - usually find that post 1 is the best place to start.

It does say so, in post number 1, which is where I cut and pasted it from:

"also got me thinking about other first rate soul and dance sides that were only issued, as 45s, on legit-release oldies 45"

Social source share

Tony,

I appreciate what you're on about in this thread ...

Allow me a bit of licence here as I'm thinking of US labels who issued earlier non hit recordings by major Soul artists as a way of cashing in.

You mentioned Motown issuing Al Green's Take Me To The River but didn't Bell in the US issue on 45 (among others) Al Green's stompin' "Let Me Help You" which was a track from his (Detroit recorded) Hot Line LP issued in the 60's ?

I know I have "Let Me Help You" on a tasty AUSTRALIAN Bell 45 anyway !!!!

Social source share

A couple of people on here asked me about the version of Tyrone Davis' "Can I Change My Mind" that I played in my first set (with Eddie Piller) at the Forum on Friday.

It actually WAS Tyrone Davis, and it was the original version that he cut for ABC and that ABC saw no commercial potential in (mugs).

It was eventually issued in 1974 on a "Dunhill Goldies 45" (with Eddie Holman's "Hey There Lonely Girl" on the other side), but it occurs to me, as there's no way to tell from looking at the label, that a lot of soul fans must think that it's the Dakar version that's featured, not this originally unissued ABC version...

...So now you know! (incidentally, this version was also issued on Roulette Golden Goodies and MCA, in their back-to-back oldies series, both times with "Hey There..." on the other side).

TONE

Hey Tony, nice meeting you last Friday.

Love TD, but to my horror I find I don't have that version of CICMM in any shape or form.

Any chance you (or some other kind soul) would put up a sound file?

Is the "Dunhill Goldies 45" hard to come by? (just checked Gemm, but no luck)

Martin.

Social source share

A couple of people on here asked me about the version of Tyrone Davis' "Can I Change My Mind" that I played in my first set (with Eddie Piller) at the Forum on Friday.

It actually WAS Tyrone Davis, and it was the original version that he cut for ABC and that ABC saw no commercial potential in (mugs).

It was eventually issued in 1974 on a "Dunhill Goldies 45" (with Eddie Holman's "Hey There Lonely Girl" on the other side), but it occurs to me, as there's no way to tell from looking at the label, that a lot of soul fans must think that it's the Dakar version that's featured, not this originally unissued ABC version...

...So now you know! (incidentally, this version was also issued on Roulette Golden Goodies and MCA, in their back-to-back oldies series, both times with "Hey There..." on the other side).

It also got me thinking about other first rate soul and dance sides that were only issued, as 45s, on legit-release oldies 45s. So far I've come up with:

Joe Hinton "Don't Tell Her The Truth" (one of the greatest heavy soul sides of all time IMO) (Dunhill Goldies 45)

The Toys "What's Wrong With Me Baby" (Virgo)

Chuck Jackson & Maxine Brown "Let's Go Get Stoned" (Scepter Wand Forever)

Al Green "Take Me To The River" (Motown Yesteryear)

Lee Andrews & the Hearts "Can't Do Without You" (Lost Nite)

Tommy Hunt "Jerkin' Around" (Scepter Wand Forever) - Ok, so this one's not great, but....

...Anymore for anymore?

TONE

weasnt the Dakar version issued twice - and what date was the ABC ?

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert