Yes Or No

baggies sould we or should we not wear um

im 4? not telling you age i have to addmit i wear um but as i look around the venues i go to less folks are wearing them i attend a venue once wearing a pair of jeans and i was taken the p*** out of for doing so all done in the best possible taste i might add but i do like to wear baggies so here is the delemor to wear or not to are they still exceptable i feel comfitable in mine but are they on the way out i dont think wearing them makes me anymore of a soulie than a person wearing jeans but for the moment i will wear um but just thought i ask other on the scean what there thoughts are .... by the way im 48 yrs young

Social source share

• Replies 80
  • Views 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

im 4? not telling you age i have to addmit i wear um but as i look around the venues i go to less folks are wearing them i attend a venue once wearing a pair of jeans and i was taken the p*** out of for doing so all done in the best possible taste i might add but i do like to wear baggies so here is the delemor to wear or not to are they still exceptable i feel comfitable in mine but are they on the way out i dont think wearing them makes me anymore of a soulie than a person wearing jeans but for the moment i will wear um but just thought i ask other on the scean what there thoughts are .... by the way im 48 yrs young

Wear what you like. As a fashion statement Russ is right, these loon pants with 48" bottoms went out of fashion in the late 70s, unless you're trying to hide really fat legs or something :lol: But if you are comfortable in them (and being seen in such things :lol: ) - wear 'em.

Social source share

but why i no alot wear um i dont think they that bad are they any my mrs says i look good in um so i better wear um or else lol

Sorry I thought you were a woman :lol:laugh.gif There is something sexy about women with big flared (below the knee) trousers.

If you are a bloke then God no! Recycle them for your dog basket or something. Keep quiet and close the thread quickly :lol:

Edited by Steve G
Social source share

I don't think that the being comfortable in them argument washes.

people say they are comfortable in shell suits, but I think they're a blight on the landscape, worse than the proliferation of aolian parks (what?).

each to his own, but if it's an opinion you want, I abhor them.

M

Social source share

I don't think that the being comfortable in them argument washes.

people say they are comfortable in shell suits, but I think they're a blight on the landscape, worse than the proliferation of aolian parks (what?).

each to his own, but if it's an opinion you want, I abhor them.

M

I agree about the comfortable argument. I'm never more comfortable than when I'm wandering round the garden on a summers evening - in me pants. I wouldn't wear them to a do though.

Social source share

well it looks like the no s are winning :lol:

Looks like you'll have to get yer bags bagged up and shipped out mate. I was going to suggest a Charity Shop - but I can see one of the blue rinse brigade assistants telling you to take your fooking trousers elsewhere. Curtains perhaps?

Social source share

peter99, I'm worried about the pants confession. is that pants in the american sense of the word or a pair of y-fronts?

if the latter, do you really pad around in the garden in them? you could always wear them over your strides of course...

Yep - it's the Y Fronts mate. Yoy can't beat it!

Mm - over my trousers - not for me but perhaps Night Nurse might try it to spruce up the look of his curtains - I mean bags!

:lol:

Social source share

Actually I thought it was quite a witty reply of mine :lol:

No. They look awful and belong in yesterday. Same for the bowling shirts. Some guy at Whitby tried to tell me that it's a 'northern soul uniform'. It sounds like nostalgia being taken too far to me.

Jayne.x.

Social source share

Not sure if your genuine in your post - if serious - unsure why you want to ask such a question... same as If I posted should we or should we not wear heel's in the bedroom :lol: come's down to the same answer - nothing to do with anyone else, down to personal choice and do you really care what anyone else think's... just do what you want and be true to yourself.....

My personal opinion on baggie's ... well put it this way - I loved wearing my red hot pant's in 1976 - but would never dream of wearing them in 2007...

Karen

Social source share

Guest Dr Pickles

Night nurse

I wear mine because I like them and it's a bit different to what I wear for 6 out 7 days a week.

I'm afraid that I do not need permission from some Norman Normal in a sweat stained Mr Byrite shirt, tescos jeans and nasty trainers. Thank god.

What next.....

They'll be telling us what records to dance to and what venues to visit :lol:

Wear what you want.

Doc

Social source share

Night nurse

I wear mine because I like them and it's a bit different to what I wear for 6 out 7 days a week.

I'm afraid that I do not need permission from some Norman Normal in a sweat stained Mr Byrite shirt, tescos jeans and nasty trainers. Thank god.

What next.....

Wear what you want.

Doc

first class post chris..but are you saying this because you wear lou,s undies?

Social source share

Guest outonthefloor

Night nurse

What next.....

Wear what you want.

Doc

Well said,

And i for one think you look rather tastey in your's Chris...

They're just jealous coz their waist measurement has swapped places with their chest measurement and they cant carry em off anymore!!!

We've already got the soul police on here now it seems the fashion police have moved in!

Helen

XXX

Edited by outonthefloor
Social source share

Think they look very bad myself...a friend of mine used to wear massive flares to all niters and I was very embarrassed to be seen with her as they looked so ridiculous. We went to New Century once and she was on call for work and got called in around 7am in the morning but couldn't go to work and be taken seriously wearing the aforementioned garment so she literally begged me to swap trousers with her!! That walk from New Century House to the car park was the longest of my life even though it was only early morning and there was hardly anybody about....30 inch flares are not a good look :lol:

Social source share

I often wear really wide legged trousers - but I'm still slim and I have long legs and I look pretty damn good in them. I must admit though, that they are more 40s inspired than 70s though....

Wear vests and bags if you like, it makes me laugh when people dress up. Especially if the wearers waist is wider than the flare... which is often the case

Social source share

I often wear really wide legged trousers - but I'm still slim and I have long legs and I look pretty damn good in them....i can vouch for that :lol:

I must admit though, that they are more 40s inspired than 70s though....

Wear vests and bags if you like, it makes me laugh when people dress up. Especially if the wearers waist is wider than the flare... which is often the case

Social source share

what I find strange is that certain folk, who I remember looking quite cool, back in 1976, with proper shirts, tailored jackets, waistcoats, ties etc; have taken to wearing baggier strides that don't look 'bespoke' & the inevitable black t-shirt & white belt. when we were 18 with a bullet, there was no stopping us, & some of us took the dress thing more seriously than others, I guess it's the same in 2007. we all have different ways of 'expressing ourselves'. beauty is in the eye of the beholder I guess...

Social source share

what I find strange is that certain folk, who I remember looking quite cool, back in 1976, with proper shirts, tailored jackets, waistcoats, ties etc; have taken to wearing baggier strides that don't look 'bespoke' & the inevitable black t-shirt & white belt. when we were 18 with a bullet, there was no stopping us, & some of us took the dress thing more seriously than others, I guess it's the same in 2007. we all have different ways of 'expressing ourselves'. beauty is in the eye of the beholder I guess...

beauty is skin deep

i know i know i was born inside out

Social source share

No. They look awful and belong in yesterday. Same for the bowling shirts. Some guy at Whitby tried to tell me that it's a 'northern soul uniform'. It sounds like nostalgia being taken too far to me.

Jayne.x.

You're right MBS; stylewise they are best left in the past, and the female version Circle Skirts. A uniform for who, baggies were the fashion for how long - 73 - 78? After that no one wore them up until about 2000 and then a minority of oldies fans :lol: .

Social source share

I dont wear them , but if folks want to ,let em ,I dont think I would recognise Dave if he was'nt wearing em

but as for the old gear we used to wear ..if the two tone Tonic type sta - prest suits were still widley available ...I would love to wear them again...does that make me a sad old sod...probably :lol:

Bazza

Social source share

===============

Why would you ask for an opinion on whether you should or shouldn't wear them? Have the courage of your convictions, wear what you're comfortable in and don't listen to the detractors. You probably wouldn't come across them much in the outside world, cos it's doubtful that they'd go to the same venues as you anyway. It's a well known fact that people who wear bags don't like upfront stuff and are just stuck in the past.......... :lol:

Social source share

I dont wear them , but if folks want to ,let em ,I dont think I would recognise Dave if he was'nt wearing em

but as for the old gear we used to wear ..if the two tone Tonic type sta - prest suits were still widley available ...I would love to wear them again...does that make me a sad old sod...probably :lol:

Bazza

now your'e talking sense Bazza,not very often you do that!! smile.gif .

Ice blue sta-prest,red n white checked Ben,brogues,tank top,spider cut......oh happy days......listening to Chicory Tip,then off to Forest :lol: . Bags???,sorry ,no.

Social source share

I think the general conclusion is:

- Women in flares can be sexy :lol: .

-Pete is a shameless exhibitionist :lol:

-Blokes in baggies are totally "naff"but Night Nurse can wear his baggies and high heels in the bedroom OK as long as he doesn't tell us all about it. unsure.gif

Edited by Steve G
Social source share

I think the general conclusion is:

- Women in flares can be sexy :lol: .

-Pete is a shameless exhibitionist :lol:

-Blokes in baggies are totally "naff"but Night Nurse can wear his baggies and high heels in the bedroom OK as long as he doesn't tell us all about it. :lol:

LOL - good call Steve. thumbsup.gif

It's not a case of telling anyone what to wear or any 'fashion police', night nurse asked for opinions on it and he got them!.

Jayne.x

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

I think they are fantastic...my friends TONY PARKER and BIG DANNY wear them all the time down the pub,but not at soul do's which is a shame. I have got a new pair on order for lifeline :sleep3:

Social source share

I think they are fantastic...my friends TONY PARKER and BIG DANNY wear them all the time down the pub,but not at soul do's which is a shame. I have got a new pair on order for lifeline :sleep3:

This pair you have on order are they 40" denim patchworks with petal pockets? If they are you can borrow my nice woolly cardi that you like. You ll look lovely.

Rich

xxxxxx

See you soon!

Social source share

wear what you want really...me, i wear baggies etc, cant dance in anything else ..just does not feel right ?

what do people think ? well, to me it keeps "northern soul alive in a visual way, (bit like a renactment group i guess)

only comments i have ever had is such things as "where did you get them ?, they look superb etc... and to me they do give the "look" of northern soul , just as full circle skirts do for the girls.... there is just somthing nostalgic and wonderful about "how it was"... it adds that extra "something" to any soul nite...putting on something special, making an effort, living the life , walkin the walk and talkin the talk !

sure, some don't feel good about them anymore, clothes don't make the soulie, but it's not about that, it's keeping it alive for yourself, 18 again for just a few hours, i was at Brighouse the other month, talking to a fellow soul clothes wearer, we were talking about the fantasic atmosphere it has there, then he said to me imagine if everyone made the effort and dressed for the nite? ....well neck hairs prickled as i visualised it ..wow what a nite that would be. :wicked:

baggies are not so available now , mine are still made to mesure at the same shop as in 75...by the same wonderful guy.

we are in the minority for sure, but they sure as hell look better on a dancer than tight jeans and a flowery shirt,...

just another thought... people who dress in a way that follows their style of music or whatever always look good, it's what you expect to see, it's how it is, imagine teddy boys or rock n' rollers , punks, skinheads, goths, emo's, etc all wearing "normal "clothes....does'nt add up does it ? :sleep3:

keep wearing them, don't ask others , do what you believe.....and for those that slagg us off, well take a peak in the mirror too eh?

casper.... keepin the faith, inside and out ! :P

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

This pair you have on order are they 40" denim patchworks with petal pockets? If they are you can borrow my nice woolly cardi that you like. You ll look lovely.

Rich

xxxxxx

See you soon!

hi RICH great to to hear from you. yep they're the ones with 3 inch turnups 6 pleats at the front and 14 pockets. have you got a singlet top I can borrow :sleep3: Tony P said could he borrow your beret :wicked:

Social source share

i think its down to wear you go and who with if you out with say 10 half good dancers all wearing the daft looking things and come the brake in a song 9 of them start spinning back dropping and such and your there as a on look then you look a right prat

Social source share