Northernsoul Time Capsule

ImberBoy

Northernsoul Time capsule

A time capsule is a historic cache of goods and/or information, usually intended as a method of communication with people in the future. Time capsules are sometimes created and buried during celebrations such as a World Fair, cornerstone laying for a building or other event. They can also be unintended caches such as at Pompeii. The phrase "time capsule" has been in use since about 1937, but the idea is as old as the earliest human civilizations in Mesopotamia.

You have ten items you can select to represent The Northern Soul Scene for future generations.

The items are to be sealed inside a container and the buried for one thousand years. We expect the future humans to be able to read watch and listen to every thing enclosed and we want them to understand as much about the Northern Soul Scene as possible.

You can select anything you want as long as it will fit inside the average size suit case you should include an explanation as well.

I would go for;

• A circle skirt as worn by the girls
  • Big baggy trousers, 40" flares
  • My old Clarks Polyveldt shoes
  • Brut aftershave
  • Johnson's baby talk for making the floor slippery
  • My old sports bag for my change of cloths
  • amphetamine sulphate naughty but has to be included
  • The Snake by Al Wilson I hate the record but it seams to represent the scene, like it or not.
  • How can I tell her by Curtis just so there is a bit of confusion with the Snake
  • A patch with a soul fist that says "keep the faith" cheesy I know but kinda works.

I didn't get room for the records, you can use your suit case size space for this if you want. .........................

Social source share

• Replies 41
  • Views 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Why do you assume the Northern Soul Scene will not carry on forever?

Dont forget its a Religion to some folks.

I would like to see a dedicated Museum though with the icons on show.

Made to measure suits, red cherry shoes, and the Flasher/Interplay/The champion playing as background music.

Ed

Social source share

Guest Una Scot-Oz

1. White ankle socks
  2. big knickers (for under the circle skirt)
  3. membership card
  4. train ticket
  5. cassette player
  6. filon! (nothing but the best)
  7. leather coat
  8. chewing gum
  9. empty coke bottle (to collect water from toilets, yuk but we did!)
  10. copy of The Yum Yums
Social source share

it's all the years in spain mate, where it's fisica instead of physics, quimica instead of chemistry, jerez, instead of sherry etc, etc...

& if you were pro-atin & anti-greek, philon could be filon of course...

:) If it's that complicated I'll stick to the Duraphet then :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest Una Scot-Oz

philon :yes:

All these years I had the spelling wrong! :thumbsup: I never did see a label. There is a story behind this but I won't go into it :) Smile on...

Social source share

mine would be "The Northern Soul Scene" so we can wipe the slate clean and start again without all those "It's gotta be 60s and 100 MPH" steriotypes of this wonderful scene of ours, oh, and if you're throwing your phet wraps away we could always sell thm and raise money for the Coop's turn-my-boots-into-originals charity!

Edited by coops
Social source share

1. White ankle socks
  2. big knickers (for under the circle skirt)
  3. membership card
  4. train ticket
  5. cassette player
  6. filon! (nothing but the best)
  7. leather coat
  8. chewing gum
  9. empty coke bottle (to collect water from toilets, yuk but we did!)
  10. copy of The Yum Yums

philon :yes:

Una you stick to your spelling of Filon, it was a registered trade mark.......as for old Philon, I don't think there'd be room in the capsule for an ancient greek architect ric-tic..... :thumbup:

Edited by DelTee
Social source share

• 1 year later...

Una you stick to your spelling of Filon, it was a registered trade mark.......as for old Philon, I don't think there'd be room in the capsule for an ancient greek architect ric-tic..... :thumbsup:

Filon: "Filon Products is a leading UK manufacturer of high quality rooflights, roofing and cladding grp sheeting products for the roofing and blah blah blah..." Did the rain used to come in at the old gaff? biggrin.gif

The only sulphate I'll need in the time machine is Glucosamine.

Social source share

Una you stick to your spelling of Filon, it was a registered trade mark.......as for old Philon, I don't think there'd be room in the capsule for an ancient greek architect ric-tic..... :thumbsup:

Filon it is.

I know somebody that knew somebody that had a friend that got 'em on scrip in 50 bottles and was known to sell them on. Allegedly :ohmy:

While we're at it, it always bemused me when Preludine were called Pirellis when the corect diminuative should of course be Prellies.

Whatever that means whistling.gif

Tony

Social source share

Guest andyrattigan

I would compile a book of a selection of Soul Source threads with people bickering over the definition of Northern Soul and whether 7ts Soul is actually Soul as well as the other "debates" we all get sucked in to on here.

Social source share

Guest bazrico

Filon: "Filon Products is a leading UK manufacturer of high quality rooflights, roofing and cladding grp sheeting products for the roofing and blah blah blah..." Did the rain used to come in at the old gaff? :g:

[color="#FF0000"]The only sulphate I'll need in the time machine is Glucosamine.

know the feeling

Social source share

What about some well used 'phrases' to go on the above fidelity tape recorder........

"Stop Pushing at the Back!"

"Oh Fook - it's the Squad"........ followed by gulping type noises

"Got any chewy Mate?"

"Some twats nicked me bag"

"Course I've got a ticket Mr Conductor..... honest"

"They're my girlfriends sliming pills - Officer!....... Fat cow asked me to mind them for her"

Edited by Teapot
Social source share

[*]A circle skirt as worn by the girls

[*]Big baggy trousers, 40" flares

[*]My old Clarks Polyveldt shoes

[*]Brut aftershave

[*]Johnson's baby talk for making the floor slippery

[*]My old sports bag for my change of cloths

[*]amphetamine sulphate naughty but has to be included

[*]The Snake by Al Wilson I hate the record but it seams to represent the scene, like it or not.

[*]How can I tell her by Curtis just so there is a bit of confusion with the Snake

[*]A patch with a soul fist that says "keep the faith" cheesy I know but kinda works.

Well other than Curtis this list covers 74-78 and 2001-2008 what about the years in between?? whistling.gif

Isn't the Northern Scene's of today just one big living time capsule? I heard a rumour that the new series of Life On Mars were going to film some scenes in some of the oldies venues to ensure they got the 70's look totally authentic! ph34r.gif

Social source share

Well other than Curtis this list covers 74-78 and 2001-2008 what about the years in between?? whistling.gif

Isn't the Northern Scene's of today just one big living time capsule? I heard a rumour that the new series of Life On Mars were going to film some scenes in some of the oldies venues to ensure they got the 70's look totally authentic! :(

Tube map with the 100 Club on it.

A soulies guide to the Uk leisure centres (1980s edition)

A sales box with 3 originals for £10 sign on it (will cost £300 each in the future)

An Address book with TELEPHONE numbers in it.

A Buzzard anniversary patch.

Social source share

A copy of B&S with DG review of his trip to the Wheel.

'The In Crowd' book.

A slection of Swish's poems.

A copy of the Salvadors.

This England DVD.

Kebs 'Ducktape' interview.

Link to SS.

My live at the 100 Club tape, when AC dropped the unissued RCA tracks.

Rod Dearloves piece on dropping the music in the North Of England (was this from Midnight Express Mag ?).

Maxine Browns first Cleggy appearance when she sang 'Torture' for the first time in the UK.

Russ

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

A time capsule is a historic cache of goods and/or information, usually intended as a method of communication with people in the future. Time capsules are sometimes created and buried during celebrations such as a World Fair, cornerstone laying for a building or other event. They can also be unintended caches such as at Pompeii. The phrase "time capsule" has been in use since about 1937, but the idea is as old as the earliest human civilizations in Mesopotamia.

You have ten items you can select to represent The Northern Soul Scene for future generations.

The items are to be sealed inside a container and the buried for one thousand years. We expect the future humans to be able to read watch and listen to every thing enclosed and we want them to understand as much about the Northern Soul Scene as possible.

You can select anything you want as long as it will fit inside the average size suit case you should include an explanation as well.

I would go for;

• Brut aftershave
  • The Snake by Al Wilson I hate the record but it seams to represent the scene, like it or not.
  • How can I tell her by Curtis just so there is a bit of confusion with the Snake
  • A patch with a soul fist that says "keep the faith" cheesy I know but kinda works.

I didn't get room for the records, you can use your suit case size space for this if you want. .........................

pmsl :lol: .....just what do you want the folks of the future to deduce from that lot.........well would you just look at this lot,they must of all been divvies back then :boxing::D

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

All they need put in a time capsule for the future...is...........the burnley allnighter.......then they'll know what fun was all about in the year 2007..2008 ect ect

Social source share

Guest WPaulVanDyk

Well most of what has been said and a copy of Moses Smith - The Girl Across the Street (pure classic) and a DJ list of the finest out there ie Richard Searling and so on.

Social source share

I would go for;

• Brut aftershave

Dont encourage him !

I have heard rumours that Simon is digging a big hole in his back garden with the help of 2 lads from the Pioneers ?

I hope this is only hearsay and rumour ?

But if it is true...........you might as well stick that big plastic Vespa in the fecking hole aswell :D

Mossy thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

What about some well used 'phrases' to go on the above fidelity tape recorder........

"Stop Pushing at the Back!"

"Oh Fook - it's the Squad"........ followed by gulping type noises

"Got any chewy Mate?"

"Some twats nicked me bag"

"Course I've got a ticket Mr Conductor..... honest"

"They're my girlfriends sliming pills - Officer!....... Fat cow asked me to mind them for her"

add (in a strage town)...na sorry mate ain't got any gear/money.....followed by the noise of being punched and kicked lol

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert