Four Tops & The Temptations Concerts

Tomangoes

• Replies 60
  • Views 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Sean...We are going to Birmingham tomorrow night...i have no doubt it will be a brilliant concert. I`ve seen these guys before and its with good reason they sell out the biggest concert halls this country has to offer!

Chris.

ME TOO LOOKING FORWARD TO THE SHOW AT THE NIA IN BIRMINGHAM :rolleyes: YES THERES NO RUFFIN OR KENDRICKS , THERE'S NO STUBBS OR BENSON OR LAWRENCE , BUT TO ME I'M SEEING THE TEMPTATIONS AND THE FOURTOPS , NOT NO TEMPTATION REVIEW OR FORMER LEAD SINGER FROM THE GROUP AND THIS IS NOT HAVING AGO AT DENNIS OR ALI OR RICHARD AND DAMON OR BO. THEY HAVE ALL BEEN A TEMPTATION BUT OTIS OWNS THE RIGHTS TO THE NAME , I'VE MET THEM A FEW TIMES AND LOVE ALL OF THEM , YES THE NEW GUYS ALL LIVE OFF THE CLASSICS BUT ITS WHAT THE PAYING PUBLIC WANT TO HEAR , DENNIS WOULD NOT SING DAVIDS HITS AND ALI HAD HIS OWN HIT WITH " TREAT A LIKE A LADY " AND SAY NOTHING ABOUT THE TRACK STAY ... FANTASTIC ! ITS ALL ABOUT THE LEGACY OF THE TEMPTATIONS AND TIME MOVES ON ! YES MAYBE THERE IS A FEW IN THE CROWD WHO THINK ITS RUFFIN ON STAGE , I MAKE THIS POINT BECAUSE WHEN I SEEN RICHARD STREETS SHOW THE GUY NEXT TO ME SAID TO HIS GIRLFRIEND / WIFE WAIT TILL THEY SING MY GIRL DAVID RUFFIN IS THE BEST SINGER AROUND. NOW THE FOURTOPS OK LETS SEE 2 OF THE ORIGINALS HAVE PASSED AWAY , SO WHAT DOES DUKE DO BRING IN 2 CLASSIC SINGERS WHO HAVE PROVED THEM SELFS IN MY EYES , NO RONNIE WILL NEVER SING ASK THE LONELY LIKE LEVI , BUT I WOULD NOT WANT TO SEE LEVI ON STAGE DOING THAT , ONE SIMPLE REASON IT'S 2007 AND LEVI IS VERY POORLY AND WE ALL GET OLD DON'T WE AND SADLY OUR HEALTH GOES AGAINST US AND SOMETIMES STOPS US FROM DOING THINGS WE LOVE. RONNIE DOES THE SONG IN HIS OWN WAY NOTHING WRONG WITH THAT ! WHAT ELSE COULD A ORIGINAL MEMBER DO LIKE DUKE WHO AGAIN OWNS THE RIGHTS TO THE LEGACY TO THE NAME THE FOURTOPS BECAUSE IT'S BEEN HIS LIFE, OR LET BLOODY VISCOUNT OLIVER CARRY ON WHAT HE IS DOING.

YES EVERYONE TEMPS AND TOPS FANS DO HAVE THERE OWN OPINIONS

Edited by Hitsville Chalky
Social source share

Sean...We are going to Birmingham tomorrow night...i have no doubt it will be a brilliant concert. I`ve seen these guys before and its with good reason they sell out the biggest concert halls this country has to offer!

Chris.

Hope you had a GREAT night, Chris & Chalky.

Anyone who missed this tour because of line-up changes, over the years, missed a real treat!

It's as crazy as saying you're not going to watch England play football because Bobby Moore and Nobby Stiles are no longer in the squad.... or Man United... because they're just not the same without Besty!

The Temps and Tops have, inevitably, evolved and though I've seen the half a dozen times, since the very early 70's they are no worse for the changes.

Just sooooooooo glad I didn't sell my tickets!

Sean

Edited by Sean Hampsey
Social source share

Hope you had a GREAT night, Chris & Chalky.

Anyone who missed this tour because of line-up changes, over the years, missed a real treat!

It's as crazy as saying you're not going to watch England play football because Bobby Moore and Nobby Stiles are no longer in the squad.... or Man United... because they're just not the same without Besty!

The Temps and Tops have, inevitably, evolved and though I've seen the half a dozen times, since the very early 70's they are no worse for the changes.

Just sooooooooo glad I didn't sell my tickets!

Sean

Glad you enjoyied it Sean, I totally agree.

Theo Peoples has an amazing voice - imagine if he'd have been around in the early 6T's, he'd have been a legend!.

Jayne.x.

Social source share

Guest stash313

Glad you enjoyied it Sean, I totally agree.

Theo Peoples has an amazing voice - imagine if he'd have been around in the early 6T's, he'd have been a legend!.

Jayne.x.

Its a shame he had to leave The Tempts when he did especially after recording i.m.h.o one of their greatest ever albums Phoenix Rising in 1997 but he's certainly taken The Four Tops up a notch.

Social source share

Southend last night, choice - Heartbeat, Songs of Praise and I'm a celebrity X factor big brother gone dancing twaddle v Temps and 4 Tops.

They mullered a couple (particularly Tops, something about you, eh whossat the Korean version ????)

They pratted about cabaret style once or twice (wave your mobile phone in the air, ehh nahhh !!!)

They played the audience like pros, gerrup and dance to this (result a "standing" ovation)

They did that uneccessary Heatwave thang that someone mentioned earlier

They were brilliant.

Taff

Social source share

Guest tonytone

:lol: I went to see these THE TEMPTATIONS, and THE FOUR TOPS, last Wednesday at Leicester De Montfort Hall, and I thought they were both really entertaining, but the Tempts did it for me!

It was a good night out everyone there really enjoyed them selfs, dancin' in the Isle in the upper circles and in front of the stage, clappin' and singing along with the classics, it would have been wonderful to see the original line up but sadly not tobe, that would of been an extra special night for me! so please don't knock them for line up changes they are still TEMPTAIONS when all said and done :no: I got to shake Oits's hand and get his autograph witch was great :wub:

I disagree these guys are still selling out some of the biggest name venues in the states every year and each time they're over here.

The Tempts in particular have always had membership changes just to limit the tempts to Ruffin and Kendrick would be a great dis-service, not to mention that David Ruffin was a replacement for Al Bryant.

Look at the lead vocalists that have been part of the temptations over the years since Ruffin and Kendricks departed...

Dennis Edwards

Ali-Ollie Woodson

Barrington Henderson

GC Cameron

Terry Weeks

Theo Peoples

Glen Leonard

Ron Tyson

Richard Street and now Bruce Williamson.

Their most recent album Back To Front is released tommorow I implore everyone to buy it, The Tempts are still doing their thing.

The concerts are as entertaining as they have always been and they are in the studio and consistently recording new material. To label the group as simply a tribute act or even worse as a franchise is doing them a great dis-service, if you can't imagine the tempts without Ruffin and Kendricks then this isn't for you but if you can accept that a group goes through changes in its lifetime the concert is worth attending.

Now the tops is a different matter, they were together so long without changes I can understand where the want to see them isn't there. They are still an enjoyable group to see and Theo Peoples does a sterling job in Levi's lead but no-one can ever replace Levi.

There is the difference with the tempts they replaced Kendricks, Ruffin, Edwards, Woodson throughout and are as strong as ever.

I would love to see The Tempts on their own they do their own tours in the States were they're on stage for a longer period and dig deeper into the catalogue were as whenever they tour over here they're linked with the tops as the TandT tours are more financially viable.

Social source share

Guest tonytone

:lol: For your info, the one's I saw along with the Tempts had one original member in both gruops, THE FOUR TOPS, (ABDUL "DUKE" FAKER) and LAWRENCE PAYTON'S SON (ROQUEL "ROKIE" PAYTON) with along in great voice THEO PEOPLES exTEMPTS, and RONNIE McNEIR! and THE TEMPTS (OTIS WILLIAMS) (RON TYSON) whos been with them since around 84!

The point is the group appearing in the Soul Suite in Playa des las Americas is free to watch, and the mob touring the UK now is £35. Both 're-issues' and emulating the original line ups. OK its not possible to have the original group members, but dont you think its a cheek to charge the same as if it were them?

Ed

Social source share

One of me mates has just got back from Las Vegas, and alongside 'The Temps' were The Platters and The Coasters - how are the last two for original members?

Nice touch though, when the concert ended the group members all congregated on the door and shook everyones hand on the way out.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert