Four Tops & The Temptations Concerts

Tomangoes

I see the FT & T, are doing the rounds again.

In reality they are tribute bands and the cost to see them is as much as when they did have the odd original member participating. I think the act may even be a franchise like the awful Drifters at Whitby.

Should we all rush for tickets or just stay away and enjoy the memories?

I went to the last tour and was not that happy with the whole set up and in particular when they sing someone elses material. £10 a ticket is a good night out, £35 a ticket is outrageous.

What do you think.?

Social source share

• Replies 60
  • Views 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

In reality they are tribute bands and the cost to see them is as much as when they did have the odd original member participating. I think the act may even be a franchise like the awful Drifters at Whitby.

I went to the last tour and was not that happy with the whole set up and in particular when they sing someone elses material. £10 a ticket is a good night out, £35 a ticket is outrageous.

What do you think.?

My wife asked if I would like to see 'em and couldn't understand when I said no.

What is the point of The Four Tops without Levi Stubbs????????????????

Tony

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

hear, hear. a pretty pointless excercise. & the temps without ruffin & kendricks? we could go on...

Tempts without Ruffin and Kendricks is not the same thing as the Tops without Levi.

The Tempts had a string of brilliant lead singers after David and Eddie went - Dennis Edwards, Ollie Woodson, Louis Price, Damon Harris and more - and their shows and records did not suffer at all due to the changes in membership. If you go to see Dennis Edwards' Temptations they are better than the 'official' Tempts are these days...

To be fair, the Tops with Ronnie McNeir and the guy who came from the Tempts whose name I always forget are a pretty good night out, too - except that they do just sound like a group that sings a lot of Four Tops songs.

Edited by TONY ROUNCE
Social source share

Guest stash313

I disagree these guys are still selling out some of the biggest name venues in the states every year and each time they're over here.

The Tempts in particular have always had membership changes just to limit the tempts to Ruffin and Kendrick would be a great dis-service, not to mention that David Ruffin was a replacement for Al Bryant.

Look at the lead vocalists that have been part of the temptations over the years since Ruffin and Kendricks departed...

Dennis Edwards

Ali-Ollie Woodson

Barrington Henderson

GC Cameron

Terry Weeks

Theo Peoples

Glen Leonard

Ron Tyson

Richard Street and now Bruce Williamson.

Their most recent album Back To Front is released tommorow I implore everyone to buy it, The Tempts are still doing their thing.

The concerts are as entertaining as they have always been and they are in the studio and consistently recording new material. To label the group as simply a tribute act or even worse as a franchise is doing them a great dis-service, if you can't imagine the tempts without Ruffin and Kendricks then this isn't for you but if you can accept that a group goes through changes in its lifetime the concert is worth attending.

Now the tops is a different matter, they were together so long without changes I can understand where the want to see them isn't there. They are still an enjoyable group to see and Theo Peoples does a sterling job in Levi's lead but no-one can ever replace Levi.

There is the difference with the tempts they replaced Kendricks, Ruffin, Edwards, Woodson throughout and are as strong as ever.

I would love to see The Tempts on their own they do their own tours in the States were they're on stage for a longer period and dig deeper into the catalogue were as whenever they tour over here they're linked with the tops as the TandT tours are more financially viable.

Social source share

Guest stash313

i saw the top in spain in a bar they were s*** did alot of the tops stuff but not a stich like the original tops

That's because they weren't actually the tops there a literally hundreds of groups who tour europe advertising themselves as the famous four tops, the original four tops etc. There isn't one who has any connection with the original four tops.

Be very weary of groups especially in spain and the likes of the canary islands etc, ask yourself why would a group who sell out the Royal Albert Hall every two years and perform the Appollo in New York perform to a small crowd in a holiday resort?

:lol:

Social source share

That's because they weren't actually the tops there a literally hundreds of groups who tour europe advertising themselves as the famous four tops, the original four tops etc. There isn't one who has any connection with the original four tops.

Be very weary of groups especially in spain and the likes of the canary islands etc, ask yourself why would a group who sell out the Royal Albert Hall every two years and perform the Appollo in New York perform to a small crowd in a holiday resort?

:lol:

The point is the group appearing in the Soul Suite in Playa des las Americas is free to watch, and the mob touring the UK now is £35. Both 're-issues' and emulating the original line ups. OK its not possible to have the original group members, but dont you think its a cheek to charge the same as if it were them?

Ed

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

but dont you think its a cheek to charge the same as if it were them?

Ed

Well, no, I don't - for your £35.00, you are getting 'officially sanctioned' groups that carry on a proud legacy via some superb vocalists who - certainly in the case of the Four Tops, at least - are performing with the full blessing of the surviving orginals (aswell as those mentioned and original Top Duke Fakir, don't they still also feature the late Larry Payton's son?)

For nish, you are getting a bunch of rip off merchants who are practising a real deception and who, no matter how competent they are, do not have the blessing of any surviving original members.

Social source share

Guest stash313

The point is the group appearing in the Soul Suite in Playa des las Americas is free to watch, and the mob touring the UK now is £35. Both 're-issues' and emulating the original line ups. OK its not possible to have the original group members, but dont you think its a cheek to charge the same as if it were them?

Ed

Yes £35 is a little pricey but you can blame the tour organisers more for that than the groups themselves. But whilst people are still willing to pay it and the likes of the MEN, Hallam Arena, Royal Albert Hall, NIA I could go on are selling out every tour it seems the promoters are justified. Tickets start at as little as $17 for their concerts in the states here maybe the difference we all know that we live in rip off Britain. And I really hope you're not comparing Ronnie Mcneir, Theo Peoples, Duke Fakir and Roquel Payton to that of a group of wannabes in a spanish holiday resort?

Social source share

Yes £35 is a little pricey but you can blame the tour organisers more for that than the groups themselves. But whilst people are still willing to pay it and the likes of the MEN, Hallam Arena, Royal Albert Hall, NIA I could go on are selling out every tour it seems the promoters are justified. Tickets start at as little as $17 for their concerts in the states here maybe the difference we all know that we live in rip off Britain. And I really hope you're not comparing Ronnie Mcneir, Theo Peoples, Duke Fakir and Roquel Payton to that of a group of wannabes in a spanish holiday resort?

£35 pricey, it's scandalous when you think that most of those you are paying £35 to see have no real connection to the group and it's past members that they rely on for a living. They really had no part in creating the groups that are or should I say were the Tempts and the Tops and the history that they left behind.

And as for not comparing Ronnie McNeir etc to the group in Spain, well they are no different in essence, a group of singers relying on material that isn't really theirs.

Edited by chalky
Social source share

What do you think.?

I think this is good value as you are getting 2 top groups playing for at least a couple of hours, no annoying support groups or comedians taking up valuable time, but if you're not happy then don't go, they'll sell out wherever they perform just because most people probably think they ARE the original members :thumbsup:

Social source share

I disagree these guys are still selling out some of the biggest name venues in the states every year and each time they're over here.

The Tempts in particular have always had membership changes just to limit the tempts to Ruffin and Kendrick would be a great dis-service, not to mention that David Ruffin was a replacement for Al Bryant.

Look at the lead vocalists that have been part of the temptations over the years since Ruffin and Kendricks departed...

Dennis Edwards

Ali-Ollie Woodson

Barrington Henderson

GC Cameron

Terry Weeks

Theo Peoples

Glen Leonard

Ron Tyson

Richard Street and now Bruce Williamson.

Their most recent album Back To Front is released tommorow I implore everyone to buy it, The Tempts are still doing their thing.

An album of cover versions suggests that musically they have lost their way surely? I personally wouldn't go to see them but i'm sure plenty of hen nights will :thumbsup:

Derek

Social source share

£35 pricey, it's scandalous when you think that most of those you are paying £35 to see have no real connection to the group and it's past members that they rely on for a living. They really had no part in creating the groups that are or should I say were the Tempts and the Tops and the history that they left behind.

And as for not comparing Ronnie McNeir etc to the group in Spain, well they are no different in essence, a group of singers relying on material that isn't really theirs.

Each to their own Chalky but Ronnie Mc is still recording new material and has all the soul credentials that I need . I ve seen him live doing his own show, which was wonderful, and would happily fork out £35 to see him again, on his own or in this line up.

Social source share

Each to their own Chalky but Ronnie Mc is still recording new material and has all the soul credentials that I need . I ve seen him live doing his own show, which was wonderful, and would happily fork out £35 to see him again, on his own or in this line up.

I'd pay to see Ronnie too, only in his own right though, I've no wish to see him doing covers of Four Tops records :thumbsup: £35 still to much IMHO.

Social source share

It's worth remembering that for your £35 you are getting as near as possible to the real thing (Otis Williams in the Tempts and Duke in the tops). You can't bring back members who have passed on or no longer perform.

You are also getting a full band (in fact two as some of the musicians are different for each act) with a nine piece brass section (last time).

On the last tour you also got Chris Clarke doing a set as an added bonus (although I thought she was crap live) again with a full band.

The Tops were excellent especially Payton Jnr and did less of the old dance routines. They just got on with singing. They did material by others namely Heatwave's Always and Forever but my God what a version. At one point sung without a mic at the MEN Manchester.

You pays your money which I guess is the going rate, and makes your choice, but lets be honest you'd probably pay more to see "stars" from the X factor singing to backing tracks.

I know where I would rather be.

Social source share

Derek

An album of cover versions suggests that musically they have lost their way surely? I personally wouldn't go to see them but i'm sure plenty of hen nights will wink.gif

Derek

Well they did the same for two of their most successful albums ever recorded. The Tempts sing Smokey and of course Mellow Moods, I'm sure many claimed back then they had lost their way even though the Smokey album was their first significant drop into the water. For godssake Motown was built on cover versions one of the most successful records to ever come out of detroit was a cover version of an old Gladys Knight track.

Many Northern records were cover versions of old Motown tracks so saying they've lost their way musically for doing another cover albums is a bit harsh.

Ok its not everyone's cup of tea but I doubt very much they've lost their way musically.

As for the hen nights wacko.gif

Well it's fairly apparent from all your postings here and elsewhere your blind loyalty to the Temptations seems to render you incapable of any sort of criticism at all.

I would be more than happy to pay good money to see Ronnie McNeir as a solo artist.

Derek

Social source share

In reality it's only the 1 Top and the 1 Temptation although I am reliably informed all the replacements are very good......but it's just not the same is it sad.gif , they are in my neck of the woods in November but at £35 a ticket it really is just not on, I'll just savour the memories of the real groups

Lenny

Social source share

Guest stash313

Well it's fairly apparent from all your postings here and elsewhere your blind loyalty to the Temptations seems to render you incapable of any sort of criticism at all.

I would be more than happy to pay good money to see Ronnie McNeir as a solo artist.

Derek

Yes Iam a temptations fan but it certainly doesn't render me incapable of listening to criticism of the group.

But when you make the comment that a covers album say's they've lost their way musically I'll defend them to the hilt when as I stated two of their most successful albums were covers album featuring the line up which everyone is claiming to be the only line up worthy of holding the groups name.

Well why doesn't anybody attempt to bring Ronnie McNeir over as a solo artist?

Is it because he is a member of the four tops? Or the fact that his Northern catalogue is small in-comparison to others.

Hopefully he'll be appearing in his own right with his new album in the very near future...

Social source share

Yes Iam a temptations fan but it certainly doesn't render me incapable of listening to criticism of the group.

But when you make the comment that a covers album say's they've lost their way musically I'll defend them to the hilt when as I stated two of their most successful albums were covers album featuring the line up which everyone is claiming to be the only line up worthy of holding the groups name.

but along side those covers they did some of the best records ever put to vinyl. Classics that helped make the Temptations what they are and give some of those in the group now a decent living off the back of them.

Edited by chalky
Social source share

The concerts are as entertaining as they have always been and they are in the studio and consistently recording new material. To label the group as simply a tribute act or even worse as a franchise is doing them a great dis-service, if you can't imagine the tempts without Ruffin and Kendricks then this isn't for you but if you can accept that a group goes through changes in its lifetime the concert is worth attending.

Now the tops is a different matter, they were together so long without changes I can understand where the want to see them isn't there. They are still an enjoyable group to see and Theo Peoples does a sterling job in Levi's lead but no-one can ever replace Levi.

Well said Sean, I agree with every word...still a great night out......

Chris

Social source share

Guest stash313

but along side those covers they did some of the best records ever put to vinyl. Classics that helped make the Temptations what they are and give some of those in the group now a decent living off the back of them.

Don't be so sure Chalky.

There's a reason the group tours as much as it does, 48 weeks a year (unless a new album is being recorded when its reduced to around 40). The Temptations charge between 20k and 30k per concert, it may seem a lot but when you take into account everything that goes with it along with tax it leaves them with a decent wage (compared to me and you) but not as substantial as you may think.

Also before we get on the whole The Temptations should have ceased to exsist after Ruffin and Kendricks trip have you considered the fact that a percentage of every performance fee paid to the group goes to the estates of Paul Williams, Melvin Franklin, David Ruffin and Eddie Kendricks.

The group being in the limelight sells an awful lot of greatest hits cd's which in turn pays further royalties to the families of those previously mentioned.

Yes I don't doubt or disagree with what you're saying but the group is criticised far too much i.m.o over this, without being given the credit it is due. The classic 5 years are what the temptations are most well known for yes and that HAS aided every lineup that has followed, but when David Ruffin left the group didn't stop. Same three and half years later when Eddie Kendricks departed the group carried on.

As they were often described it was a group where 5 could lead, so they weren't going to cease to exsist when one left.

Edited by stash313
Social source share

Guest thierryb

I've read somewhre that GC Cameron was not part of this year's line-up. Is that true? Saw them in Antwerp last year and it was a great show (especially GC and Ronnie, both on top form vocally). I'm asking that because they have a date in Belgium next month (in Oostend).

Thierry

Social source share

I've read somewhre that GC Cameron was not part of this year's line-up. Is that true? Saw them in Antwerp last year and it was a great show (especially GC and Ronnie, both on top form vocally). I'm asking that because they have a date in Belgium next month (in Oostend).

Thierry

Hi Thierry thought I had told you perhaps not, no G.C Cameron has left.

He left in may for his own reasons and was replaced by a gospel influenced singer Bruce Williamson.

He's one of the leads on the new album and by all accounts is a very powerful and impresive singer.

(OOPS LIVESEY on the wrong account)

Edited by Miss BurySoul
Social source share

• 2 weeks later...
Guest stash313

Went to see them a couple of years ago at Sheffield, when G.C. Cameron was with them.

Amazing night, well worth it. Even more amazing, supporting The Temptations & The Four Tops

None other than Chris Clark, not even mentioned on the Ticket. :D

G.C was fantastic and its a shame that his health started to play up last year, that's the reason he left the group the Doctors told him he had to come off the road for a year and with the tempts mainstay still their touring schedule G.C left the group.

Bruce Williamson who has replaced him is doing a fantastic job, Back To Front their new album has debuted at no: 20 on the R&B Billboard charts in the states which is a fantastic result.

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Here's an interesting adjunct to this 'argument' that provoked a solid discussion in the pub this lunchtime...

The Drifters had no original members in their line ups after 1958, yet we all accepted the Ben E King, Rudy Lewis and Johnny Moore-led groups as being the real thing and without any kind of argument.

Based on that, the Tempts and Four Tops with one original member apiece is a definite step up in terms of authenticity, I'd say! :ohmy:

Edited by TONY ROUNCE
Social source share

Here's an interesting adjunct to this 'argument' that provoked a solid discussion in the pub this lunchtime...

The Drifters had no original members in their line ups after 1958, yet we all accepted the Ben E King, Rudy Lewis and Johnny Moore-led groups as being the real thing and without any kind of argument.

Based on that, the Tempts and Four Tops with one original member apiece is a definite step up in terms of authenticity, I'd say! :ohmy:

I always thought Johnny Moore had more validity than most, as he was a member of the 'real' original Drifters before the Five Crowns (i think) and Ben E King were shipped in.

However, personally I refused to go and see them once Clyde McPhatter left :rolleyes:

Mike

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

I always thought Johnny Moore had more validity than most, as he was a member of the 'real' original Drifters before the Five Crowns (i think) and Ben E King were shipped in.

However, personally I refused to go and see them once Clyde McPhatter left :rolleyes:

Mike

Me, I even refused to go and see Billy Ward and the Dominoes once Clyde left.... :ohmy:

Johnny was indeed a pre Ben E King Drifter, but he wasn't in the McPhatter/Bill Brown/Gerhard Thrasher/Charlie Hughes line up that was the Drifters at their formation (JM only came along c. 1957) so he's no more of a 'real' original Drifter than Ronnie McNeir is an original Four Top.

Fantastic singer, though - really underrated, and quite possibly the best one they ever had apart from Clyde...

Social source share

Guest stash313

The way I see it Tony, is The Tempts have always been a group that changes members.

David Ruffin came in For Elbridge Bryant before that the Tempts were a merger between Paul Williams and Eddie Kendricks of The Primes and Otis Williams, Melvin Frankline and Bryant of The Distants.

I accept what everyone is saying about the 'classic' line up (as said here it isn't the original line up) but the group has developed through these changes, some have damaged it but most have enhanced the reputation of the group as one of if not the greatest Soul groups of all time.

Dennis Edwards was the third member for his position in the group after Ruffin and Bryant and the group sold more records with him leading than with David Ruffin in the group. Lewis Price came in after Dennis Edwards opted for a solo career he was very much akin to Jerry Butler and gave the group a sound and demension it hadn't before had. They released two albums on Atlantic with him which despite featuring some poor tracks showed his versatility and great vocal ability.

Dennis Edwards returned after that as the group returned to Motown and they released Power which is still one of their most under-rated albums.

I suppose you either accept the changes and see them as a natural progression or its seen as a hinderance and Otis should have give it up years ago.

Thankfully i.m.o he didn't and I can still get fantastic music and performances from the group.

The Four Tops I accept is a different matter with Levi there isn't much, but Theo Peoples has made the position his own.

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

The way I see it Tony, is The Tempts have always been a group that changes members.

David Ruffin came in For Elbridge Bryant before that the Tempts were a merger between Paul Williams and Eddie Kendricks of The Primes and Otis Williams, Melvin Frankline and Bryant of The Distants.

I accept what everyone is saying about the 'classic' line up (as said here it isn't the original line up) but the group has developed through these changes, some have damaged it but most have enhanced the reputation of the group as one of if not the greatest Soul groups of all time.

Dennis Edwards was the third member for his position in the group after Ruffin and Bryant and the group sold more records with him leading than with David Ruffin in the group. Lewis Price came in after Dennis Edwards opted for a solo career he was very much akin to Jerry Butler and gave the group a sound and demension it hadn't before had. They released two albums on Atlantic with him which despite featuring some poor tracks showed his versatility and great vocal ability.

Dennis Edwards returned after that as the group returned to Motown and they released Power which is still one of their most under-rated albums.

I suppose you either accept the changes and see them as a natural progression or its seen as a hinderance and Otis should have give it up years ago.

Thankfully i.m.o he didn't and I can still get fantastic music and performances from the group.

The Four Tops I accept is a different matter with Levi there isn't much, but Theo Peoples has made the position his own.

I agree with all of this, as you know.

I also wonder if people on here wouldn't have gone to see the Impressions with Leroy Hutson or Ralph Johnson leading them instead of Curtis, just because the latter had left to do his own thing. Or even, for for that matter, whether people would have boycotted the Impressions with Curtis, because Jerry Butler had gone.

Or the Chi-Lites with Anthony Watson taking the leads (who were excellent)...

Or Harold Melvin and the Blue Notes with David Ebo instead of Teddy (again excellent, and IMO better than with TP on both occasions that I saw them)...

OK, so I'm playing Devil's advocate a bit, but it's the same principle really when all's said and done.

Edited by TONY ROUNCE
Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

You slipped up there Tony - A singer called Jackie Wilson stepped in - he was fantastic, had a few solo records tool...

Mike

...mmm, yeah, heard of him - didn't he once do a tribute album to Al Jolson? :g:

Social source share

Guest Carl Dixon

These singers are entertainers. It is what they do for a living. It is sad some pass away or elect to leave the group for solo careers. Yes, there are line ups that may have favouritism because they have nostalgia for individuals and big hits, but these groups travel and perform because that is what they do. It is their job. Who is to say that The Four Tops, without the legendary Mr Stubbs, could have a hit record? Would that be such a bad thing or testament to good music performed by good singers with a terrific legacy? This is uncharted territory now. Surely if the replacement talent is good enough and the dynamics have the essence of the group at heart it must be positive, a bit like Dennis Edwards joining The Temptations for example, when he was with them for their 1970's hits. It will not be long before all original members of these groups are unable to travel so would it not be supportive to enjoy them while we still can, because one day we too will be trapped at home with our 70" HD TV and dolby 15.1 watching 4:3 archive standard definition footage of The Stylistics wishing they had never split up!

Edited by Carl Dixon
Social source share

Guest stash313

These singers are entertainers. It is what they do for a living. It is sad some pass away or elect to leave the group for solo careers. Yes, there are line ups that may have favouritism because they have nostalgia for individuals and big hits, but these groups travel and perform because that is what they do. It is their job. Who is to say that The Four Tops, without the legendary Mr Stubbs, could have a hit record? Would that be such a bad thing or testament to good music performed by good singers with a terrific legacy? This is uncharted territory now. Surely if the replacement talent is good enough and the dynamics have the essence of the group at heart it must be positive, a bit like Dennis Edwards joining The Temptations for example, when he was with them for their 1970's hits. It will not be long before all original members of these groups are unable to travel so would it not be supportive to enjoy them while we still can, because one day we too will be trapped at home with our 70" HD TV and dolby 15.1 watching 4:3 archive standard definition footage of The Stylistics wishing they had never split up!

Fantastic post Carl,

Couldn't have put it better myself.

Social source share

Fantastic post Carl,

Couldn't have put it better myself.

same here

it would be brilliant if we could see these groups with original lineups or with some of the other members who are not in them anymore but it isnt going to happen and these 2 lineups are well worth the money and do the best they can under the circumstances

as for the question , the answer is that it was a "DONT MISS EVENT" and I am glad that I for one didnt miss this chance to see it

yes , I went , had 4 tickets for this show and was there , and that is the difference , in being there and supporting them , as they support us in still trying to keep that spark alive

sure , they mentioned members who are no longer with us with glowing tributes to levi , lawrence and obie , and too eddie and david etc , but in the best tradition they still sounded and looked like they were these 2 groups , with theo ( the voice ) peoples doing a superb job at taking the lead vocals for the 4 tops ( an ex temptations member I might add ) , and bruce williamson sounding a lot like dennis edwards on the 70,s tracks , with ron tyson doing the falsetto and terry weeks doing the bass parts it really was nostalgia to watch and hear

so all in all , a great night , a great sound , 2 great groups , 2 great orchestra`s backing them , great venue and well worth the money and to anyone on here that went they will be sure to agree with me

and for anyone going to sheffield , edinburgh , cardiff , london or any of the other venues you can be sure of a great night with the records you expect to hear , and the odd one or two you wont but will know anyway

for those who missed it , then yes you missed it , and although I respect your thoughts about the original members , it cannot be that way any more but at least there are dvd`s you can watch ( like I do )

last night it was all about the soul , and had it by the bucketful

Edited by soundsOKEH
Social source share

Went to see them a couple of years ago at Sheffield, when G.C. Cameron was with them.

Amazing night, well worth it. Even more amazing, supporting The Temptations & The Four Tops

None other than Chris Clark, not even mentioned on the Ticket. :wicked:

i;d pay 35 just to see gc fantastic showman and thoroughly enjoyable night took me back to the Tymes or Chairmen at the california in 7ts. ok not the originals but hey its over 100 to see macca on his own these days and the guys i saw could sing (not implying macca cant long live the beatles)

Edited by stomper45
Social source share

same here

it would be brilliant if we could see these groups with original lineups or with some of the other members who are not in them anymore but it isnt going to happen and these 2 lineups are well worth the money and do the best they can under the circumstances

as for the question , the answer is that it was a "DONT MISS EVENT" and I am glad that I for one didnt miss this chance to see it

yes , I went , had 4 tickets for this show and was there , and that is the difference , in being there and supporting them , as they support us in still trying to keep that spark alive

sure , they mentioned members who are no longer with us with glowing tributes to levi , lawrence and obie , and too eddie and david etc , but in the best tradition they still sounded and looked like they were these 2 groups , with theo ( the voice ) peoples doing a superb job at taking the lead vocals for the 4 tops ( an ex temptations member I might add ) , and bruce williamson sounding a lot like dennis edwards on the 70,s tracks , with ron tyson doing the falsetto and terry weeks doing the bass parts it really was nostalgia to watch and hear

so all in all , a great night , a great sound , 2 great groups , 2 great orchestra`s backing them , great venue and well worth the money and to anyone on here that went they will be sure to agree with me

and for anyone going to sheffield , edinburgh , cardiff , london or any of the other venues you can be sure of a great night with the records you expect to hear , and the odd one or two you wont but will know anyway

for those who missed it , then yes you missed it , and although I respect your thoughts about the original members , it cannot be that way any more but at least there are dvd`s you can watch ( like I do )

last night it was all about the soul , and had it by the bucketful

A big Thank You to all for not buying the two tickets I had for sale.

Fortune took a turn for the better and I've just returned from one of the best live gigs in years!

Highlight's of the night for me had to include Ronnie McNeir taking lead on a very moving "Ask The Lonely".... just incredible!.... and the Temptations 1997 'Modern' Soul monster 'Stay' with the immortal "Since I Lost My Baby" a close third.

PRICELESS!!!

:wicked:

Sean

Social source share

A big Thank You to all for not buying the two tickets I had for sale.

Fortune took a turn for the better and I've just returned from one of the best live gigs in years!

Highlight's of the night for me had to include Ronnie McNeir taking lead on a very moving "Ask The Lonely".... just incredible!.... and the Temptations 1997 'Modern' Soul monster 'Stay' with the immortal "Since I Lost My Baby" a close third.

PRICELESS!!!

Sean

Glad you enjoyed the show Sean I am going tonight MONDAY to the show at the Playhouse in Edinburgh and I am really looking forward to it cause it's me birfday. Will let you know how it all went. Can't have what we all would really like and have the original line ups of these TWO lengendary groups but the guys that replace them are stars in their own right. Went to see them (Temps) a few years ago and for some of the numbers just shut my eyes and listened and it was the sound I had spent my youth listening to. I am sure it will be just as good.

best fraser fdsoul6345789

Social source share

Glad you enjoyed the show Sean I am going tonight MONDAY to the show at the Playhouse in Edinburgh and I am really looking forward to it cause it's me birfday. Will let you know how it all went. Can't have what we all would really like and have the original line ups of these TWO lengendary groups but the guys that replace them are stars in their own right. Went to see them (Temps) a few years ago and for some of the numbers just shut my eyes and listened and it was the sound I had spent my youth listening to. I am sure it will be just as good.

best fraser fdsoul6345789

Happy Birthday, Big Man, and Best wishes from your S. Yorks Crew.

You'll have a Ball!

Sean

Social source share

Happy Birthday, Big Man, and Best wishes from your S. Yorks Crew.

You'll have a Ball!

:rolleyes:

Sean

Well now where to start the show was great the new line-up members despite the disquiet voiced by some of the fellow soul-sourcers. In particular BRUCE WILLIAMSON (another good Scottish name)LOL He was fantastic what a voice and on the night could give Dennis Edwards a run for his money the Temps went throught their songbook with consumate ease. Just My Imagination, a highlight for me. The Tops then came on after a short interval. They were magic with Ronnie McNeir in their line-up how could they fail. They did as was mentioned led by Ronnie ASK THE LONELY and it was great. The only downfall I could come up with was then they announced that they were going to sing a number that they were recording and intending to bring it out and then went into their version of ALWAYS AND FOREVER (Heatwave) led by Theo Peoples decent enough but never a patch on JOHNNY WILDER AND CO IMHO. All in all a great night and totally well worth the journey of 100 mile round trip to Edinburgh to see them would do it all again in a flash, no problem. Thanks for the kind wishes for my birthday from the SOUTH YORKSHIRE CREW, Messrs Briscoe, Hampsey and Benson.

fdsoul6345789

Edited by fdsoul6345789
Social source share

Guest stash313

Well after a mammoth weekend I've finally had enough time to gather my thoughts. First off Blackpool Friday and Saturday, Sunday consisted of an early morning drive back to manchester from Blackpool a quick bite to eat and over to Sheffield.

I've seen both groups three times now in 2003, 2005 and 2007.

There's no doubt that I am a big Temptations fan as has been mentioned elsewhere on this thread but my support for the group isn't blind but in my opinion well placed.

This line up can hold a torch to an awful lot of groups. The Harmonies are unbelieveably tight, lead vocals from Terry Weeks, Ron Tyson and the outstanding talent of Bruce Williamson coupled with Otis Williams barritone and Joe Herndon's deep bass give the group a real quality sound.

As we arrived in Sheffield we entered the car park behind one of the tour buses either The Tops or The Tempts. The only other time that I've attended a concert at the Sheffield Arena was Def Leppard a couple of years back (don't ask) so I was un-sure what to expect.

The half room setting added an intimate quality and we took our seats ready for the arrival of The Four Tops.

The last time I saw The Tops Obie Benson was still performing to great acclaim. The way he lost his life so suddenly such as so many more of our heroes was a tragic loss. As anyone who has seen the group in the last ten years will remember the intro that The Tops use to come out on to stage. So as the house lights were downed and the echoes of "Just The Four Of Us" piped out and the show was dedicated to Obie Benson, Lawrence Payton and the seriously ill Levi Stubbs. I filled up like never before at a concert, even though I had heard that tribute twice previously sunday had a special effect perhaps it was down to Obie passing away 18 months ago I don't know but it certainly hit a chord.

The tops entered onto stage to the opening bars of Loco in Acapulco and proceeded to enter into an hour of non stop classics that had the crowd in raptures. Theo Peoples who was with The Temptations from 1992-1998 has been the lead of The Tops for over 5 years now and is beginning to make the role his own. He truly is one of the most under-rated vocalists of the past decade. Of course no one can replace Levi Stubbs but he is the best man to take the Tops forward under the circumstances. Ronnie McNeir replaced Lawrence Payton after he passed away in the mid 90's, we all know his talents but he has helped to give The Four Tops a fresh sound and his version of Ask The Lonely is something to behold. Finally Roquel Payton aka Lawrence Payton Jr stole the show with an amazing vocal performance and showmanship his father would be proud of.

As I said earlier I've seen The Four Tops twice previous, this was by far the best performance I've seen from them.

A short interval and then it was the turn of The Temptations. Their intro was different than what I've seen before, taking to the stage during an instrumental intro a few slick dance moves and immediately in to their version of How Sweet It Is taken from Reflections in 2006. Again this was probably the best I've seen The Tempts as good as G.C Cameron was for the group his replacement Bruce Williamson has taken the group to a new level. Energetic doesn't describe their performance and BW's inclusion has taken the age of the group down drastically, I'll go with what someone said earlier he could certainly give Dennis Edwards a run for his money.

He excelled on performances of My Girl, I Can't Get Next To You, I Wish It Would Rain, Ain't Too Proud To Beg and many more.

The flawless Terry Weeks was in top form on Since I Lost My Baby and Stay took the roof off.

They left the crowd begging for more and it topped off a wonderful evening, make sure you check out the groups new album Back To Front so you can get a taste of what this group are doing now.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert