So

Steve G

Talkin' to Terry (Mr Darcy) on Friday night at the Kent spectacular, and we both agreed one act we'd love to see over here because of the depth of their "repetoire" is:

Archie Bell & The Drells

So who would you like to see tour?

Edited by Steve G
Social source share

• Replies 75
  • Views 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

To be honest, anyone

if the Kent 25th night was anything to go by then all these artists we adore would be a pleasure and an honour to witness performing live,

Archie Bell is a great shout :thumbsup:

Social source share

Talkin' to Terry (Mr Darcy) on Friday night at the Kent spectacular, and we both agreed one act we'd love to see over here because of the depth of their "repetoire" is:

Archie Bell & The Drells

Saw them at Wigan...well I say saw them, they were on but I probably went in M's!

Social source share

Guest biggray1

Like too see Phil Perry again,watched him at prestatyn in the Modern Room and the Main Room and thiought he was Fab,Love to see Kenny Thomas too.But on replying to the origional question Barrett Strong would go down nice with a touch of Millie Jackson too.

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

I'd love The Five Stairsteps to reform. I'm amazed they don't do the odd one off show. Anyone ever considered approaching Kenni Burke?

Massive 'northern' soul repetoire. I can think of ten songs off the top of my head played on the scene at one time or another. :rolleyes:

Other than them, no one. Not a big fan of live acts, although Harold Melvin was amazing.

Social source share

Guest soul99 easylay

Aretha Franklin would be my first choice I think, closely folloowed by The O"Jays

Cheers Paul

PS Wouldn"t say no to Archie and his Drells either :hypo:

Like the sound of seeing the O'Jays! :rolleyes:

Sadly my top three acts I'd love to see aint never gonna happen :(

They would be:

1. Jackie Wilson (surprise surprise!)

2. Dusty Springfield

3. Otis Redding

Social source share

Archie Bell & The Drells

if the criteria is - 'because of the depth of their "repetoire" is:'

its got to be

Aretha

and she has never been unlike most of those nominated

Mike

Social source share

if the criteria is - 'because of the depth of their "repetoire" is:'

its got to be

Aretha

and she has never been unlike most of those nominated

Mike

She was booked Mike, but couldn't be bothered to get out of bed to get the plane :rolleyes: Many fans disappointed by that at the time. thmbdn.gif

Social source share

Dont want to be negative, but I saw Archie Bell recently & was quite disapointed, great voice & stage presence tho'. Apparently he refused to sing many of the songs we would love to hear in favour of more commercially succesful releases, spose you cant blame him really.

I would like to see the Volumes, great repetoire too.

Also what about a Southern Soul Revue there are scores of brilliant artists still recording today, who would take the roof of a venue.

Oh yes & someone really needs to book the Brothers of Soul................what a night that would be & what a fantastic repetoire, particularly if they included some songs from their writing & production back catalogue, with guest vocalists too.

Russ

Edited by Russ Vickers
Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

The Soul Children, but as with others it ain't gonna happen :rolleyes:

Saw the reformed Soul Children in Memphis during the Stax Museum opening week, on the same bill as the Temprees (amazing!) and Johnnie Taylor's boy Floyd. They were phenomenally good, J. Blackfoot sounds the same as ever. Next night I saw the Climates, the Masqueraders and, best of all, the Mad Lads, who were sublime.

Can't see any reason why the Soul Children 'Ain't Gonna Happen' - I don't know of anything that would keep a promotier from bringing them over, unless it's money.

BTW Mr. Lofthouse, Aretha Franklin HAS been to the UK for shows, at least once in London and possibly more times. I don't like her much so I didn't bother buying a ticket, but a good pal went and he has never gotten over the fact that her first number was "There's No Business Like Show Business". Sounds like a good 'miss' to me...

Can't believe that Jerry Butler hasn't had a nomination here yet, though. I saw him in Dallas about five years back and he was excellnce personfied. Unlike Archie Bell, Jerry does all the things that long-time soul and Northern fans would like to her - he even starts his show with "Moody Woman" - and he still sounds great.

Social source share

Saw the reformed Soul Children in Memphis during the Stax Museum opening week, on the same bill as the Temprees (amazing!) and Johnnie Taylor's boy Floyd. They were phenomenally good, J. Blackfoot sounds the same as ever. Next night I saw the Climates, the Masqueraders and, best of all, the Mad Lads, who were sublime.

Can't see any reason why the Soul Children 'Ain't Gonna Happen' - I don't know of anything that would keep a promotier from bringing them over, unless it's money.

BTW Mr. Lofthouse, Aretha Franklin HAS been to the UK for shows, at least once in London and possibly more times. I don't like her much so I didn't bother buying a ticket, but a good pal went and he has never gotten over the fact that her first number was "There's No Business Like Show Business". Sounds like a good 'miss' to me...

Can't believe that Jerry Butler hasn't had a nomination here yet, though. I saw him in Dallas about five years back and he was excellnce personfied. Unlike Archie Bell, Jerry does all the things that long-time soul and Northern fans would like to her - he even starts his show with "Moody Woman" - and he still sounds great.

Cheers Tone, I didn't know that the Soul Children had reformed, so I suppose its possible, then :rolleyes:

You are so right about Jerry Butler too.

One artist that I would dearly have loved to have seen perform is Walter Jackson - one of the great voices of all time, in my opinion.

Social source share

Dont want to be negative, but I saw Archie Bell recently & was quite disapointed, great voice & stage presence tho'. Apparently he refused to sing many of the songs we would love to hear in favour of more commercially succesful releases, spose you cant blame him really.

Russ

You're not being negative Russ - he would have to be "primed" and re-taught the words to "1000 Wonders" etc.

Social source share

Jerry Butler would be great.....

As for the others let's keep it in the land of the living please. :rolleyes:

I d love to see Jerry Butler, but think I d do as Chris Morgan and see him in the States. Saw Angie Stone last night who was as wonderful as I expected, the new stuff sounds great. I ve been ticking the acts I ve wanted to see off my list a lot recently, some were a total disapointment, some were brilliant, can I please see Gladys Knight doing two hours (in a non cabaret style) Anne Nesby , Jean Carn(e) and Chuck Jackson. And can I see them all in a little venue, with great bands, arrangements etc.

TIA

:hypo:

Social source share

I d love to see Jerry Butler, but think I d do as Chris Morgan and see him in the States. Saw Angie Stone last night who was as wonderful as I expected, the new stuff sounds great. I ve been ticking the acts I ve wanted to see off my list a lot recently, some were a total disapointment, some were brilliant, can I please see Gladys Knight [/bW]doing two hours (in a non cabaret style) Anne Nesby , Jean Carn(e) and Chuck Jackson. And can I see them all in a little venue, with great bands, arrangements etc.

TIA

:rolleyes:

=================

Cat,

You just read my mind, the one person I'd like to see for definite. Wouldn't mind seeing Barbara Lynn again either come to think of it.

Winnie:-)

Social source share

I'd like to see Darrow Fletcher again, he was fab at Cleggy the other year!

Unfortunately I can't see Curtis again :hypo: saw him a couple of times in the 80s and he was fantastic.

Like a few others it would be great to see Jerry Butler and also Maxine Brown...missed out on her last week as couldn't make it :rolleyes:

Social source share

Jackie Wilson

He is my favorite artist and one with so much more. If I could be totally greedy I would love to see Jackie Wilson along with Edwin Starr, I saw Edwin, like others, so many times I didn't appreciate him at the end, so I would love to hear him do his thing on the same bill as Jackie Wilson.

Imagine hearing "Backstreet", "I have faith in you" along side "Whispers getting louder" and "I'm the one to do it" plus all the other wonderful tracks that give you goose bumps, a lump in your throat and a tear in your eye.

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

=================

Cat,

You just read my mind, the one person I'd like to see for definite. Wouldn't mind seeing Barbara Lynn again either come to think of it.

Winnie:-)

Great shout. Barbara Lynn for me epitomises the Northern Soul ethos. A singer so sublime, had she had the right exposure would surely have been rivalling Diana Ross, Aretha, Gladys et al in the worlds consciousness.

Ms Lynn's ill fortune is our luck.

Also I dont know if he is alive or not, but for consistency of recording, I'd love to see Emmanuel Laskey.

Roy Hamilton would be amazing and for the more modern catalogue Walter Jackson. Again, no idea who is still with us or not.

Social source share

Great shout. Barbara Lynn for me epitomises the Northern Soul ethos. A singer so sublime, had she had the right exposure would surely have been rivalling Diana Ross, Aretha, Gladys et al in the worlds consciousness.

Ms Lynn's ill fortune is our luck.

Also I dont know if he is alive or not, but for consistency of recording, I'd love to see Emmanuel Laskey.

Roy Hamilton would be amazing and for the more modern catalogue Walter Jackson. Again, no idea who is still with us or not.

Roy and Walter are both dead or I would have also picked em! Emmaunel laskey died last year-think we had a tribute of sorts on here :lol:

Edited by reg
Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Roy and Walter are both dead or I would have also picked em! Emmaunel laskey died last year-think we had a tribute of sorts on here :lol:

Oh dear. Hope I havent jinxed poor Babs :lol:

Social source share

I thought this topic was about acts still alive? Hardly gonna see those who are dead tour are we

Chalky are you telling me Jackie and Edwin are both dead???? How did this happen?? Was it a dreadful car accident??? :-(

Sorry folks, thought it was a wish list thread of who you would like to see by no longer can.

Social source share

Chalky are you telling me Jackie and Edwin are both dead???? How did this happen?? Was it a dreadful car accident??? :-(

Sorry folks, thought it was a wish list thread of who you would like to see by no longer can.

fraid so pal, They were at Imber when the military decided to have a practice day :lol:

Social source share

Saw Angie Stone at the Jazz Cafe last night and thought she was great....................Far better than most of the wrinklies that get dragged across the pond the relive their youth at the weekenders I've attended..........I know most won't agree but IMHO just because a singer was brilliant when they were 25 doesn't mean they will be able to hit the right notes when they're 65 and sadly most of them are a poor imitation of their original recordings. Some have been the exception to this but mostly I find them disappointing.

:lol:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert