Tip Of The Week

• Replies 179
  • Views 13.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Do you know if the chess group is the same group? It is like a decade or more earlier. The chess group is from DC, by the way.

That fast track 45 isn't that hard to find, but it's hard to find with the b-side, I still don't have it with the flip.

Hi Bob

Dug out both issues of the Chess & Fast Track 45's and there looks to be no connections whatsoever with the groups? btw One is from '73 the other '75

Chess 45 is by '11th Commandment' & Fast Track 45 is 'Eleventh Commandment'

As they don't even sound familiar either, it's safe to assume they're different groups?

Couldn't put me hands on the RJ release (i've got it somewhere!) so couldn't check this one?

Cheers

Steve

Social source share

Does the track have to be cheap??? Suppose it must by definition of being "Tip of the week"

Oscar weathers -Just to prove I Love you / Top & Bottom has been hanging around for so long, and is so good and so readily available, surly this must go BIG some day!!!

I've bought ten or so copies in readiness, don’t you just love Norven Soulers, and their DEEP pockets! Laughs

Mel.B.

Edited by Mal.C.
Social source share

Hi Bob

Dug out both issues of the Chess & Fast Track 45's and there looks to be no connections whatsoever with the groups? btw One is from '73 the other '75

Chess 45 is by '11th Commandment' & Fast Track 45 is 'Eleventh Commandment'

As they don't even sound familiar either, it's safe to assume they're different groups?

Couldn't put me hands on the RJ release (i've got it somewhere!) so couldn't check this one?

Cheers

Steve

Thanks for the info, my "decade" comment was about the RJ records which are like mid-80s, aren't they (aren't there 2 different 11th commandments on RJ)? I have the chess and fast track 45s, but not the RJ ones. Is the flip of the fast track any good? I only have it as a promo. Thanks.

Edited by boba
Social source share

My tip would be:

The Jive Fyve - You Showed Me The Light Of Love - Decca

Presumably late 60s early 70s uptempo dancer - bit quirky at the start but thunders along after a bit...

Picked up two copies on eBay recently, paid no more than $10 for either issue or demo.

Mr Manship has a couple of copies on his site at £15 each.

https://www.raresoulman.co.uk/searchartist....VE&Format=#

Edited by pikeys dog
Social source share

Hi All

This little tread is tripping along nicely and I don't want to exclude anyone's contribution. But add a few guidelines.

1-Tracks that are available all over the web and on dealers lists. So that some one could go from this tread and buy it now.

2-Cheap as chips

3-Sound clips where possible, so everyone can share in your tip

4-No sound clip, then a discription.

This all means a little work but i'm sure you don't mind that to assist your fellow sourcers

Dave :huh:

Social source share

My tip would be:

The Jive Fyve - You Showed Me The Light Of Love - Decca

Presumably late 60s early 70s uptempo dancer - bit quirky at the start but thunders along after a bit...

Picked up two copies on eBay recently, paid no more than $10 for either issue or demo.

Mr Manship has a couple of copies on his site at £15 each.

https://www.raresoulman.co.uk/searchartist....VE&Format=#

came out on british as well

mark

Social source share

Guest ruffsounds

My 2 underplayed cheapies just right for today are Martha Reeves--Thank You on Arista and Margie Evans--I'm On My Way on ICA both top drawer sounds imo not heard out and only about £10-15 each.

Ralph

Social source share

Just occurred to me:

Patience Valentine - Our love (A Special Blending) MJR

Far far better than her SAR material, well I say better its allot later and in a different vein, personally I rate this easy to get 45 above allot of expensive stuff.. Discovered this 45 from Derek P's show...

Starts with a spoken intro, moves into a mid tempo groove which has some real Highs on the verse where she sings the title, its kinda like the high you get on the Drifters - Outside world, all of a sudden it just lifts at that point and your into another experience all together, its an early 7ts recording and sound nothing like "Outside World" but you get my meaning...

Flip is something about DISCO, crap but wanted by those collectors, they buy anything with the "D" word in....in fact That Carrie Cleveland LP discussed yesterday is in demand for the very same reason.

This 45 will cost you $10 Five pounds, and I personally think its the kind of track that could go very big, I recon Ady and the 100 club would dig this allot!! wink.gif

Mal :lol:

Social source share

Thanks for the info, my "decade" comment was about the RJ records which are like mid-80s, aren't they (aren't there 2 different 11th commandments on RJ)? I have the chess and fast track 45s, but not the RJ ones. Is the flip of the fast track any good? I only have it as a promo. Thanks.

Hi Bob

Flip of the 'Fast Track 45 is called 'Today or never' and guess what.............it's a fantastic 70's Soul dancer!!!!!

Well worth tracking down but not easy to find!

Cheers

Steve

Social source share

Does the track have to be cheap??? Suppose it must by definition of being "Tip of the week"

Oscar weathers -Just to prove I Love you / Top & Bottom has been hanging around for so long, and is so good and so readily available, surly this must go BIG some day!!!

I've bought ten or so copies in readiness, don't you just love Norven Soulers, and their DEEP pockets! Laughs

Mel.B.

I wondered who hoovered all them up :thumbup: I was looking for a copy for someone last week - better add it to me cheap 70's 45's that I'm looking for (see trades thread)

Cheers

Steve

Social source share

Mike Jemmison "I want some satisfaction" on Geneva...been spinning this at the Three Greyhounds and already had some interest...........

Chris

mike jemison is the same guy i`m sure chris. i purchased his LAKE track `youll never get my love` after thorne one night... i think???. anyway i flipped it over last century,.,.,.what do you mean i dont play oldies,.., 99 march. to find this stunning track--only love can be with you. play loud,, and feel this tune. its added to the tunes i want to be buried with.

Social source share

mike jemison is the same guy i`m sure chris. i purchased his LAKE track `youll never get my love` after thorne one night... i think???. anyway i flipped it over last century,.,.,.what do you mean i dont play oldies,.., 99 march. to find this stunning track--only love can be with you. play loud,, and feel this tune. its added to the tunes i want to be buried with.

You could also ask for Mike to do the honors at your funeral, as he has his own ministry in Detroit :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest stromberg

I've bought ten or so copies in readiness, don't you just love Norven Soulers, and their DEEP pockets! Laughs

Mel.B.

totally agree with you, it's still a mystery to me why this hasn't "gone big"..I only managed to get ONE spare copy so far :lol:

Social source share

Sits around on the web for about £15-£20, if this was on some tiny indie label it would sell for £££, proper 60's dancer!!!!!!!! when you concider some of the old tosh played in the name of rare 60's soul or 17 replys discussing Al foster band, I dispair :wave:

JACKIE VERDELL

so so true dave, top tune by the way. pete.

Social source share

Played this earlier today at home right before heading off to work:

Billy Stewart - What Have I Done - CHESS

A superb and sadly neglected tune in my opinion and copies of the original 45 are littered all over the internet.

Nice pick Sebastian, like the excellent flip to this too, "Tell Me The Truth", in fact anything by the late great Billy Stewart is fine by me, personally I dont think he made a bad record, sadly missed performer.

ya got me thinking of a few others of his as "tip of the week" thumbsup.gif

steve
Social source share

What about another Billy Stewart - Crazy bout you baby - Chess

Fine crossover for the cost of a couple of really expensive pints of Stella

Steve

Ya right Steve, was gonna mention that one as well and send a file up, but didnt want to turn it into a Billy Stewart thread :thumbsup: In fact ANYTHING by the man is worth picking up and all cheap (except perhaps original copies of "FatBoy Can Cry" / "Count Me Out")

steve

Social source share

heres two i think are real belters

DYNAMIC HEARTBEATS--------------DANGER--------P.S RECORDS-----------20-00

have a couple of spares

b/w IT AINT NO SECRET------Same as Kenya Collins

AND THEN

TUOMO-------DONT TAKE IT TO HARD---Jupiter pic cover-----------------10-00

BRILLIANT modern thats getting big buzz

have a couple of spares :no:

Social source share

glad to see Richard Brown-"Sweet and kind",and Oscar Weathers-"Just to prove,"getting mentions.....my tip....CAROL ANDERSON-HOLDING ON, just right for now, and can be picked up for 10-30 quid,,KEV. :(

Great track thumbsup.gif

Agree that it's an easy one BUT there's a release of it with a brill crossover B side called 'It shouldn't happen to a dog'..............now that's a tough 'un!

Cheers

Steve

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert