Is This Really How Other People See Us

okehgaz

Was given a book to read recently, "My father and other working-class football heroes" by Gary Imlach.

(Excellent book- highly recomended)

However......... to cut a long one short.

The authors father was a professional footballer back in the late 50's, (Forest, Derby, Bury) are a few of teams i can remember but he never saw his father play.

In a quest to find some momentos of his fathers career, the books first chapter finds the author at some sort of football memorabelia/ programme show... and i quote.

"Surely this wasn't a love of football, just nostalgia and a love of collecting, which chance or childhood might as easily have pointed towards model trains or Northern Soul"

Is this really how outsiders view the scene?

Social source share

• Replies 60
  • Views 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Was given a book to read recently, "My father and other working-class football heroes" by Gary Imlach.

The authors father was a professional footballer back in the late 50's, (Forest, Derby, Bury) are a few of teams i can remember but he never saw his father play.

In a quest to find some momentos of his fathers career, the books first chapter finds the author at some sort of football memorabelia/ programme show... and i quote.

"Surely this wasn't a love of football, just nostalgia and a love of collecting, which chance or childhood might as easily have pointed towards model trains or Northern Soul"

But what if you collect northern soul and model trains g.gif:thumbsup:

QoFxx

Social source share

But isn't that just what it is? Don't make it bad but it is a nostalgia driven collecting scene.

Derek

Social source share

Guest Stormin Si

I know a lot of people who find my vinyl/soul obsession rather strange.

To our credit though i think we are rated above stamp collectors and train spotters laugh.gif

Social source share

I know a lot of people who find my vinyl/soul obsession rather strange.

To our credit though i think we are rated above stamp collectors and train spotters laugh.gif

But twice as boring.

Social source share

===================

How do we view train spotters etc, then you have your answer smile.gif

Social source share

Interesting that!

Whilst in WH Smith at Kings Cross Station last week, I was struck by the headline on the cover of this months "Model Rail" Magazine.

The Editor obviously sees the similarity... and has targeted his publication accordingly.

:lol:

Sean

post-4120-1192718406.jpg

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

My wife thinks we're not much better than trainspotters.. 'saddos' i think is her phrase :D Having said that she never goes to soul nights and doesn't see the social, dancing side of things, just the collecting side. I try to engage her in conversations about how some originals can be identified by the width of the run-out groove but for some reason she never seems interested :lol:

A woman down the road that she chats too on the school run was telling her she had a friend who is into soul music, Pam said 'Oh no, not one of them...'

Social source share

My wife thinks we're not much better than trainspotters.. 'saddos' i think is her phrase :D Having said that she never goes to soul nights and doesn't see the social, dancing side of things, just the collecting side. I try to engage her in conversations about how some originals can be identified by the width of the run-out groove but for some reason she never seems interested :lol:

Be very affraid when you meet a woman who finds chat about the width of a run-out groove interesting....although she might not be talking about her records.

Social source share

Guest andrew bin

personally couldn't give a flying f*ck what others think about us and the scene.

me to, i'm glad some people veiw us sados or uncool it means the doos are not invaded by knob heads :D (well not to many) :lol:

Edited by andrew bin
Social source share

Be very affraid when you meet a woman who finds chat about the width of a run-out groove interesting....although she might not be talking about her records.

is this the reason I make you nervous Martin? :lol:

Social source share

Interesting that!

Whilst in WH Smith at Kings Cross Station last week, I was struck by the headline on the cover of this months "Model Rail" Magazine.

The Editor obviously sees the similarity... and has targeted his publication accordingly.

:D

Sean

Huh - what were you doing looking in that section Sean? :lol:

Social source share

Guest topcatnumpty1

I work in a medium secure Phsychy unit and if ever the patients/service users/inmates----whatever the politically correct term is at the moment!!!!----ask what i do in my spare time --i mention rare/northern soul and they all look at me funny(average age 20---50) and they kick off or ask to be placed in seclusion----enough said----but we,re all happy ---so who gives a toss

Regards

Tony Coleby

it's only their ignorance that gives them the views they have
I bet in reality they haven't a clue what NS is!

Social source share

Guest ScooterNik

Is there really that much difference between knowing what wheel configuration a GWR engine should have and knowing the importance of matrix numbes? Or even being able to quote Blackburn Rovers highest scorers for the last 40 odd seasons, how many goals they scored and the rest of it as my ex father in law could?

If it interests you then it interests you. If not feck off and leave me alone. :lol:

Social source share

Huh - what were you doing looking in that section Sean? :lol:

I was just walking past it... (heading for the lads mags :D )... honest!

:yes:

Funny though how it leapt out at me from the corner of my eye.... almost subconciously!

Same thing happens when you're scouring a list of 50,000, five dollar, pop n' rock records at a rapid 500 words a second intake... and the oddly named Ty Karim just leaps off the page!

Happens all the time!

Social source share

My wife thinks we're not much better than trainspotters.. 'saddos' i think is her phrase :D Having said that she never goes to soul nights and doesn't see the social, dancing side of things, just the collecting side. I try to engage her in conversations about how some originals can be identified by the width of the run-out groove but for some reason she never seems interested mellow.gif

A woman down the road that she chats too on the school run was telling her she had a friend who is into soul music, Pam said 'Oh no, not one of them...'

just shown my wife this and she has burst out laughin in agreement at this

early eighties was not the best time to meet future soul wives - I was only taking an hiatus and didnt realise it was in my blood that much

Social source share

Guest mel brat

Oh dear! ohmy.gif Gonna have to stop taking the p*ss out of the lads at the end of platform number four - Carlisle Station :D

Yeah, they might be on their way to/from an allnighter!

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

just shown my wife this and she has burst out laughin in agreement at this

early eighties was not the best time to meet future soul wives - I was only taking an hiatus and didnt realise it was in my blood that much

Sounds like the same as me. I was 'on a break' in the early 90s and ended up meeting and marrying a non-soulie, but you're right, as the song says 'You Can't Get Away'. It's never affected our relationship but i'm still baffled how anyone, including my wife, can fail to be blown away by a stonking bit of soul :D

Ah well tongue.gif I suppose Chalky's right, who cares eh?

Social source share

I'm told that model trains have a big underground following.

rolleyes.gif

:D

That was true at one time Paul, but now it's been on the Telly and front page news on the Press stands it aint what it used to be.

Too many kids getting on the scene, with no real passion for it.

Just wanna get involved because it's 'fashionable'.

Just wait, give 'em 6 month and they'll be off chasing the next big thing.

Even the Southern mob are wanting a piece if it.

Where were they when you had to travel to the other end of the country just to get involved?

Kin' Divs.

The lot of 'em!

:rolleyes:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert