David Peaston - God Bless The Child

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0Qwl39ADmE

Back in the late 80s I came home from the pub, swithced on the TV and found "Saturday Night at the Apollo" on Channel 4. In the talent spot David Peaston was performing the attached song - Billie Holiday's "God bless the child" - although this isn't from the programme. What a voice! A cousin of Fontalla Bass. He won the talent show for a large number of weeks and got a record deal on the strength of these performances. He came over to the UK to promote his debut album and I managed at the last moment to get a couple of tickets for the back row of the Hammersmith Odeon performance supporting Gerald Alston (ex Manhattans). Both artists were superb and both performed songs or part of song without theaid of a microphone. In the back row you could hear every word. If anyone has the video of the Apollo show I would very much appreciate seeing it again as the version above although great, pales into insignificance in comparison.

I hope you enjoy it.

Social source share

• Replies 13
  • Views 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Back in the late 80s I came home from the pub, swithced on the TV and found "Saturday Night at the Apollo" on Channel 4. In the talent spot David Peaston was performing the attached song - Billie Holiday's "God bless the child" - although this isn't from the programme. What a voice! A cousin of Fontalla Bass. He won the talent show for a large number of weeks and got a record deal on the strength of these performances. He came over to the UK to promote his debut album and I managed at the last moment to get a couple of tickets for the back row of the Hammersmith Odeon performance supporting Gerald Alston (ex Manhattans). Both artists were superb and both performed songs or part of song without theaid of a microphone. In the back row you could hear every word. If anyone has the video of the Apollo show I would very much appreciate seeing it again as the version above although great, pales into insignificance in comparison.

I hope you enjoy it.

Got the album on Geffin straight after,doesnt work like it does live.

Social source share

'Introducing' on Geffen great album. 'Take me now' is one of my all time fave tunes,just wonderful :thumbsup:

Yes not bad,but compared to him live at the Apollo no contest real hairs at the back of yer`neck stuff,would be good if we had a you tube job or something.

Social source share

I hope you enjoy it.

Got a couple of his things on 12" - Great voice, didn't realise the family ties!

gary

Social source share

Yes, Fontella Bass is David Peaston´s older sister. And their mother is Martha Bass of The Clara Ward Singers!

The three of them recorded a gospel album together in the early 90´s.

I think Introducing is a wonderful album. It´s a mystery how such a talented artist only got to make two solo albums.

Cheers,

Melismo

Edited by djmelismo
Social source share

I hope you enjoy it.

Just managed to get the clip to play.....OH MY GOD!! How good is that?!

gary :thumbsup:

Social source share

I hope you enjoy it.

Thanks for posting this Paul, brings back memories of the late eighties for me. I remember the Lp causing somewhat of a sensation when it came out. Haven't listened to it for ages, much to my discredit.

See you in Ireland Sir.

Social source share

Cheers D'arcy.

I have a box of VHS videos at my Dad's house from before I got divorced in 1997. It might be on one of them. I'll have a look at some stage. In the meantime if anyone else knows where to find a copy.......

Be the best thing on youtube if you do,by a country mile.

Edited by ken
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert