Ain't No Mountain High Enough

:g:Sorry can,t explain this one beats me as to why it gets played so often its been over played for me so much so i F**K*N HATE IT NOW!!!! frusty2.gif Almost every where you go its played :Dranting_1.gif theres just no getting away from it :D

It gets played often because it's another case of SDJS (Safe DJ syndrome), djs playing the thing cause they know it's now a sure fire banker although they would never have dreamed of playing it if Mick Smith or whoever hadn't revived it a few years back.

Could really do with a sheep dog at some venues to chase these dj's away!

Simon :D

Social source share

• Replies 124
  • Views 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Can someone explain why this pop favourite of my mother's is getting played at the expense of say around ten thousand and upward tunes of better quality and who on earth is bidding on it.

:D Sorry can,t explain this one beats me as to why it gets played so often its been over played for me so much so i F**K*N HATE IT NOW!!!! frusty2.gif Almost every where you go its played :Dranting_1.gif theres just no getting away from it :D

Class is permanent.

I'll have pen and paper at the reasy next friday writing down whatever underplayed oldies and exclusives you'll be playing.

Edited by Pete S
Social source share

I've read all the posts on this and found it most interesting. However I have to ask why some people think ANMHE is a pop record? It doesn't matter if it got to number 1 in the hit parade in the UK or the USA, it is still a soul record imo. Or does a record that gets into the charts automatically become a pop record?

As has been said in other threads, no one makes a record hoping that in 30 or 40 years some people in England will decide it is a rare classic Northern Soul record and play it. And then it will go for silly money on Ebay.

Surely all records are made with the hope of commercial success in their musical fields; and hopefully success in the charts.

I'm quite surprised that ANMHE wasn't a hit in the UK, remember hearing it enough at the time, but I'm at work, so can't consult my reference books.

I've heard it plenty of times over the last year or so at soul nights, it fills the floor, and I enjoy dancing to it. I like the rare stuff as much as anyone on here, but some records are just really nice to hear, maybe in a little while it will go back in the box and be replaced by something else.

It's easy to forget how good some of those oldies really are; and how everyone went wild about them at the time.

Surely we can all put up with occasionally hearing something not to our taste at a soul night; after all it is meant to be an enjoyable night out, not some test of whether we've got good taste as decided by other people.

As for McFadden & Whitehead, I've heard Sam play the sports version at Soul Essence, somehow it didn't sound right, suppose I expected the normal lyrics. Probably been okay if I didn't know the normal version. I wouldn't have thought this was one for a Northern night though, surely too disco, lol.

At Essence he also played a rather strange version of What's Going On, not a patch on Marvin.

Social source share

As for McFadden & Whitehead, I've heard Sam play the sports version at Soul Essence, somehow it didn't sound right, suppose I expected the normal lyrics. Probably been okay if I didn't know the normal version. I wouldn't have thought this was one for a Northern night though, surely too disco, lol.

At Essence he also played a rather strange version of What's Going On, not a patch on Marvin.

Should never be played at a northern venue in a million years - same as when that Angie Stone did Wish I Didn't Miss You, no-one would ever have ever played Back Stabbers as a northern record so why play an inferior version of the same track?

Social source share

I've read all the posts on this and found it most interesting. However I have to ask why some people think ANMHE is a pop record? It doesn't matter if it got to number 1 in the hit parade in the UK or the USA, it is still a soul record imo. Or does a record that gets into the charts automatically become a pop record?

As has been said in other threads, no one makes a record hoping that in 30 or 40 years some people in England will decide it is a rare classic Northern Soul record and play it. And then it will go for silly money on Ebay.

Surely all records are made with the hope of commercial success in their musical fields; and hopefully success in the charts.

I'm quite surprised that ANMHE wasn't a hit in the UK, remember hearing it enough at the time, but I'm at work, so can't consult my reference books.

I've heard it plenty of times over the last year or so at soul nights, it fills the floor, and I enjoy dancing to it. I like the rare stuff as much as anyone on here, but some records are just really nice to hear, maybe in a little while it will go back in the box and be replaced by something else.

It's easy to forget how good some of those oldies really are; and how everyone went wild about them at the time.

Surely we can all put up with occasionally hearing something not to our taste at a soul night; after all it is meant to be an enjoyable night out, not some test of whether we've got good taste as decided by other people.

Spot on young Geoff thumbsup.gif

QoFxx

Social source share

Should never be played at a northern venue in a million years - same as when that Angie Stone did Wish I Didn't Miss You, no-one would ever have ever played Back Stabbers as a northern record so why play an inferior version of the same track?

Just for the record McFadden & Whitehead was played at least once or twice as a new release in 79 at Howard Mallet by some brave fool.

Social source share

I,ve heard Backstabbers at a Northern venue wink.gif class tooooon.........so is Angie Stone............ wink.gif

Social source share

Whats being a record dealer got to do with what people play out? Elgins was played constantly throughout the 70's at normal discos, still is at wedding receptions, motown nights whatever, Ain't No Mountain High Enough has never had that kind of exposure, next you'll be recommending This Old Heart Of Mine and I Can't Help Myself, two of the greatest records ever made but hardly lessser played oldies...and I come back to the point that "Mountain" never charted here and has never had mass exposure - until now. So if it's to be dropped, at least replace it with something like Carolyn Crawford as this months Motown flavour of the month.

as a dealer thought youd be in favour of variation in playlists. I mentioned elgins and curtis off top of my head as 2 equally easily familier safe "uplifting" sounds tho of recent years probably slightly less played compared to mountain (tho realise this is subject to area of globe and type of events you attend). Youve just mentioned another that could be played instead, thats the point for many of us, why have certain records got to be hammered to death by lemmins who hear its been reactivated of late, to a great reception at a packed weekender and force it on you copycat style for next 12 months.

Ojays, class record imo have played to great reception in Dublin (oh no hope no lemmins lurking).

Whether Ojays or Mountain or Curtis should be played as NS is down to individual taste, thankfully we are allowed to disagree on which one is better. But I get bored when i hear the latest "in" record played by every other dj, be it a reactivate popsoul hit/miss or discovery of many months previous

Edited by stomper45
Social source share

ANMHE is one of the greatest records ever made.

But there are hundreds of better Northern records around, hundreds and hundreds.

But to slag off ANMHE is sacrilige and anyone who does is obviously the victim of a cruel medical experiment

Cloth ears methinks Pete...there's plenty of em about.

But probably not a northern record I agree. very decent motown imo...rather like Gladys Nights If you ever...that kind of thing wink.gif

However it wasn't a hit...maybe some folks are confusing it with Diana's version.....and I don't hear it everywhere I go. If I did, I wouldn't be going to those places as I do like a bit of variety. It makes me chuckle a bit that this tune gets slagged when there's far worse overplayed records masquerading as northern soul.

For example I heard Bill Bush last year at a venue I won't name and it was time for taxi home for Reggie ph34r.gif .....

Reggie

Edited by reg
Social source share

i agree with Pete 100%,

outstanding track and best version of this tune by far (to be honest - i don't really like any other versions) . Marvin and Tammi sing quite unlike any other male/female duo- the timing, intuition and deep emotional connection gives this record its soul.....

check out this video - its different from the above one- Tammi busts into a couple of moves about 50 seconds in -absolutely class!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVFT7i94zQU

P

Edited by billyprophet
Social source share

i agree with Pete 100%,

outstanding track and best version of this tune by far (to be honest - i don't really like any other versions) . Marvin and Tammi sing quite unlike any other male/female duo- the timing, intuition and deep emotional connection gives this record its soul.....

check out this video - its different from the above one- Tammi busts into a couple of moves about 50 seconds in -absolutely class!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVFT7i94zQU

P

Brilliant. thumbsup.gif

Social source share

I dont watch films as i can never get access to the remote control thats why im always on here with headphones in, what was the film about and is it worth watching

nothing wrong with pinkl and yes your right about moggy laugh.gif

wanker.gif The pair of you

There I was happily reading through the threads when blow me up pops Bearsy & Bogue

When you pair were above me I thought !

I can do this cos"

"There aint no mountain high enough"

:D

Later boys

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!