Ain't No Mountain High Enough

• Replies 124
  • Views 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Your not the only one Rod, i for one agree with you ! Don't dislike it but i was bemused at the way people were reacting, or over reacting imo, to it.

Think it was John Barker at Junction 11 that reactivated it a couple of years back now. I stand corrected if wrong :lol:

I think you can stand corrected my friend.

Mick Smith has been playing it for some time before that.

I also think the video of this that Motown did at the Michigan State Fair or wherever it was, is one of the best ever made.

Edited by Steve G
Social source share

Guest Ste Brazil

Superb record, i dont think i've ever met anybody who doesn't like it - the usual 'head up my own arse' crowd will obviously not agree, but who gives a toss, good music is good music, doesn't have to be rare.

Ste.

Social source share

I can see Im out voted here so I will concede defeat gracefully, you cloth-eared knobheads!!

Thank you for putting me in my place

ROD

:lol::P

Rod, I should have added, yes you're right there are hundreds of better Northern Soul records than this, but as a record on it's own merits, it is brilliant.

Social source share

Guest Andy Kempster

So also was Norman Jay.

surely the fact that it fills floors all over the place tells whether its a good record or not

Edited by Andy Kempster
Social source share

I think the revival of this as a spin on the NS scene started on the Sunday nights at the Cleethorpes weekender. A perfect spin in such a context. I for one am heartened that a 'rare soul' scene can shake off the myopia which sometimes surrounds it and acknowlege a fantastic record that shares many roots with other records played. Let's face it Rod, had this been unreleased and been played off acetate by Dave Withers in 1982 it would have been bigger than It's Too Late, Suspicion or Angel Doll.

The problem for me arises when such a record is taken out of the correct context in which to play it: take it out of a packed Sunday night at a large weekender and play it to a sparsly-populated local club because "it fills floors" and much of the magic and point in playing it is lost and the whole thing begins to smack of a degree of desperation.

I understand that McFadden & Whitehead's Ain't No Stopping Us Now is starting to make a similar journey from iconic mainstream soul classic (which should be played once in a blue moon) to local soul night staple. While ANSUN is also a fantastic piece of soul music I am similarly uncomfortable with the idea that we may have to hear it a little too much for comfort in the foreseeable future.

Social source share

Guest Richard Bergman

I think the revival of this as a spin on the NS scene started on the Sunday nights at the Cleethorpes weekender. A perfect spin in such a context. I for one am heartened that a 'rare soul' scene can shake off the myopia which sometimes surrounds it and acknowlege a fantastic record that shares many roots with other records played. Let's face it Rod, had this been unreleased and been played off acetate by Dave Withers in 1982 it would have been bigger than It's Too Late, Suspicion or Angel Doll.

The problem for me arises when such a record is taken out of the correct context in which to play it: take it out of a packed Sunday night at a large weekender and play it to a sparsly-populated local club because "it fills floors" and much of the magic and point in playing it is lost and the whole thing begins to smack of a degree of desperation.

I understand that McFadden & Whitehead's Ain't No Stopping Us Now is starting to make a similar journey from iconic mainstream soul classic (which should be played once in a blue moon) to local soul night staple. While ANSUN is also a fantastic piece of soul music I am similarly uncomfortable with the idea that we may have to hear it a little too much for comfort in the foreseeable future.

Totally agreee Gareth :yes:

Social source share

I think you can stand corrected my friend.

Mick Smith has been playing it for some time before that.

I also think the video of this that Motown did at the Michigan State Fair or wherever it was, is one of the best ever made.

My couple of years is probably more like 3 or 4 though Steve ! At this time of life the days just role into years.

Where's me wooly blanket ?

Social source share

Sam was playing ANSUN as a new release, so its an oldie anyway :yes:

Social source share

Two questions here:

1. Is it a good record?

Yes it is, obviously?

2. Should it be played at ns events?

Answer.. not as clear.

Not very often, IMHO. There are many great soul records that do not get frequent plays on the scene, and rightly so. Do we go out to hear common pop records?

I happen to like girlie soul, including the Supremes, but much as I love "Itching In My Heart", I don't expect to hear it at many nighters.

Social source share

Ain't No Stopping Us Now is starting to make a similar journey from iconic mainstream soul classic (which should be played once in a blue moon) to local soul night staple. While ANSUN is also a fantastic piece of soul music I am similarly uncomfortable with the idea that we may have to hear it a little too much for comfort in the foreseeable future.

The Northern scene's desperation to play anything 'flavour of the month Philly'. I normally love Sam's selection of tunes but when I heard him play this (albeit a different version, but sounding virtually the same, and doubtless tons more money ), I could have dropped. Hopefully he's stopped playing it now, but it will no doubt be played at local do's around the country. It must be about time for Ace Spectrum to be revived. BAAAA!! BAAA!! BAAA!! :yes: I sometimes wonder why I bother going out.

Jordi

Social source share

The older I get the more I like to hear the soul records that hit as well as the ones that missed. To say that Ain't No Mountain High Enough isn't a great record because it was a hit is daft.

But then again I've never been that enamoured with rarity: only with quality. Nearly 40 years ago now I can remember a girl I know getting a new discotron. The only records we had were things I'd just bought from the old ex jukebox shop in Southport. I remember 3: Get Ready , Some things you never get used to and Roadrunner. At first she didn't want top play them in case we got some stick for playing hit fodder 'out' in public. But we did and they still sounded great.

Edited by Billy Freemantle
Social source share

We used to play "Ain't No Mountain High Enough" almost every Sunday night at The Temple in the 1990s while playing the video clip on the big screen. It was out of sync but it always had a positive effect on everyone, young and old, black and white.

That track has an amazing power and seems to create a warm and friendly atmosphere wherever it's played.

There were never any fights on Sunday nights, those bouncers were getting paid for nothing.

:thumbup:

Paul Mooney

Social source share

The only question you need to ask yourself about this record is.....

What colour handbag would match my shoes best as I'm dancing around it?

Pop Soul, albeit good... but what next?

"Build Me Up Buttercup" at the Wilton?

"Nathan Jones" at Lifeline?

PAH!

no one said it had to be played at the Wilton or Lifeline Pikey, people are just sayingm its a great uplifting classic that should be played at the right venue,

what next Mello souls at a motown night :thumbup: i hope not cos it would ruin a good night :thumbup:

Social source share

Isn't it the alternative version that Sam's spinning, i.e. the one about an American football team, same tune different lyrics. Was offered one recently but still prefer the original.

You jest surely, i bought a copy of this at a boot fair a while back just out of curiosity, the lyrics were so bad i threw it in the bin!

Give me the proper copy anyday...

Simon

Social source share

Well Chrissie and Mischief you're both entitled to your views even if completely erroneous!!!

Something like the Contours "Your love grows more precious" or Kim Weston "Looking for the right guy" are "great bit"s of Motown/Soul. Not this pop schmaltz.

Chrissie are you seriously suggesting that in a dj spot of usually an hour this is worth 2.30mins of anyone's time, bearing in mind what is out there to play.

ROD

Well I agree with you Rod, middle of the road motown pop.

Social source share

Well I agree with you Rod, middle of the road motown pop.

Hello Chalky,

I'm convinced that Rod has paid you to agree with him. That's how these extremists work!

But who paid Rod???

:thumbsup:

Paul Mooney,

Puzzled

Social source share

Im slightly heartened by the miniscule support I have received by other members of the head up one's own arse rare soul brigade, as we are affectionately known by Mr. Brazil.

I would like to point out that I never said anything about it being rare soul or not. I just said that as a Motown 45 it was pretty poor IMO compared to most and the examples [Contours/Kim Weston] I gave are in no way "rare soul". I also said that in a short dj spot surely there are hundreds of more stimulating 45s to choose from, a point conceded by Pete "Judas" Smith.

I can understand that Mick may have captured a moment by playing this 45 recently but as Pikey said we are now talking about it being the next big "handbag" sound to be tolerated at Across the Board do's.

Im a big fan of Motown and have over 200 45s but for me Mr Gordy kinda lost it when the Tops got to cover pop songs and his attention moved from the streets of Detroit to the lounges of Las Vegas. This 45 to my ears falls on the wrong side of that divide.

ROD

Social source share

You jest surely, i bought a copy of this at a boot fair a while back just out of curiosity, the lyrics were so bad i threw it in the bin!

Give me the proper copy anyday...

Simon

re McFadden & Whitehead alternative lyrics - I'd be surprised if you found this at a boot fair - unless it was the Philly Phillies annual bring and buy garage sell. It's actually about the Philly Phillies getting to the Baseball world series final. I played this version at the Plinston a few years ago, as a novelty record. Some people loved it, others didn't. The biggest critic was a jazz funk fan funnily enough, Dave Blow from Hemel who said "If I wanna hear that, I'll go to Caister". Sam got his copy sometime later :thumbsup:

Social source share

I can see Im out voted here so I will concede defeat gracefully, you cloth-eared knobheads!!

Thank you for putting me in my place

ROD

Im with you on this one Rod...its.....pop pop pop pop music...no place being played at any sort of do,apart from a wedding of course :wicked:

Bazza

Social source share

Guest andyrattigan

Superb record, i dont think i've ever met anybody who doesn't like it - the usual 'head up my own arse' crowd will obviously not agree, but who gives a toss, good music is good music, doesn't have to be rare.

Ste.

Spot fookin' on! Sums up my feelings on this tune and whether it's "acceptable" to play it.

Social source share

Guest livelikeasailor

Spot fookin' on! Sums up my feelings on this tune and whether it's "acceptable" to play it.

Yep pure magic, moves my "SOUL" anytime!

Katy.

Social source share

Congrats to everyone. This is a really well debated thread.

My thoughts? ANMHE is an all time classic and should be played every night, everywhere.

Someone mentioned the Diana Ross/Supremes/Temptations version.

I think it is a tremendous version, but I then played M&G immediately afterwards and it paled into insignificance.

Brian B

Social source share

While I think there is a place for this record to be played out, it should be either at the end of a set or the end of a night, as lots have said before me it's a great "uplifter" and leaves people on a high :thumbup: but possible does't fit in the middle of a set. only my humble opinion and what do I know unsure.gif

QoFxx

Social source share

Im slightly heartened by the miniscule support I have received by other members of the head up one's own arse rare soul brigade, as we are affectionately known by Mr. Brazil.

I would like to point out that I never said anything about it being rare soul or not. I just said that as a Motown 45 it was pretty poor IMO compared to most and the examples [Contours/Kim Weston] I gave are in no way "rare soul". I also said that in a short dj spot surely there are hundreds of more stimulating 45s to choose from, a point conceded by Pete "Judas" Smith.

I can understand that Mick may have captured a moment by playing this 45 recently but as Pikey said we are now talking about it being the next big "handbag" sound to be tolerated at Across the Board do's.

Im a big fan of Motown and have over 200 45s but for me Mr Gordy kinda lost it when the Tops got to cover pop songs and his attention moved from the streets of Detroit to the lounges of Las Vegas. This 45 to my ears falls on the wrong side of that divide.

ROD

with you Rod, this tune been hammered to death, why not play elgins "heaven must have sent you" or "move on up" by Curtis or summin for a little change if you have to be uplifted by something youve heard a 1000 times before, so many great (cheap) tunes not enough time

Edited by stomper45
Social source share

Guest Ste Brazil

Ok, a little strong i admit. ANMHE is a great, uplifting song in my opinion, as most people agree, i just hate the way certain classics and yes, overplayed tracks are rubbished, its absolute nonsense but each to their opinion eh...

Ste.

Social source share

re McFadden & Whitehead alternative lyrics - I'd be surprised if you found this at a boot fair - unless it was the Philly Phillies annual bring and buy garage sell. It's actually about the Philly Phillies getting to the Baseball world series final. I played this version at the Plinston a few years ago, as a novelty record. Some people loved it, others didn't. The biggest critic was a jazz funk fan funnily enough, Dave Blow from Hemel who said "If I wanna hear that, I'll go to Caister". Sam got his copy sometime later rolleyes.gif

I found my copy of the "Phillies" version my local boot fair back in June this year.

Derek

Social source share

WHEN YOU CONSIDER THE BULK OF WORK FROM THE GREAT MAN[CHECK OUT MEDIA SECTION] AND ALSO TAMMI WHO CUT SOME CHOICE RECORDINGS ,THIS RECORD FALLS INTO TOTAL INSIGNIFICANCE,ITS A GOOD POP RECORD BUT SOUL RECORD DO ME A FAVOUR,ID GIVE IT A VERY AVERAGE 4/10.

BAZ A

IN SUPPORT OF ROD!

Pah. It's certainly the best thing Tammi did and I can't think of anything better that Marvin did to be honest. 10/10.

Social source share

with you Rod, this tune been hammered to death, why not play elgins "heaven must have sent you" or "move on up" by Curtis or summin for a little change if you have to be uplifted by something youve heard a 1000 times before, so many great (cheap) tunes not enough time

This never charted in the Uk so believe it or not, it's new to a lot of people, unlike the Elgins which was top 10 and a youth club disco classic for decades

Social source share

re McFadden & Whitehead alternative lyrics - I'd be surprised if you found this at a boot fair - unless it was the Philly Phillies annual bring and buy garage sell. It's actually about the Philly Phillies getting to the Baseball world series final. I played this version at the Plinston a few years ago, as a novelty record. Some people loved it, others didn't. The biggest critic was a jazz funk fan funnily enough, Dave Blow from Hemel who said "If I wanna hear that, I'll go to Caister". Sam got his copy sometime later :rolleyes:

Sounds like the same record i had Steve, all the lyrics were about Baseball, it was a 45, unless there's another version of M & W with different lyrics?

I actually bought it cause i thought it was the original version & was dissapointed when i got home to find all the lyrics were about sport.

Anyway i thought it was rubbish & binned it!

Simon :unsure:

Social source share

Unfortunately I find myself agreeing with Pete Smith, who I understand will be listing prices on his next list in pieces of silver, in that ANMHE has not been overplayed in the clubs for the simple reason that until Mick Smith had some kinda seizure this 45 was not considered suitable for playing in a Northern club because in the past the consensus was that it was not Northern, so had you waited to hear this at the Torch,Wigan,Mecca or Stafford you'd have been disappointed.

Ste, I take no offence at all and now that you have inducted me into the rare soul brigade Im looking forward to discussing matrix numbers with fellow enthusiasts until my lips fall off.

ROD

Social source share

Unfortunately I find myself agreeing with Pete Smith, who I understand will be listing prices on his next list in pieces of silver, in that ANMHE has not been overplayed in the clubs for the simple reason that until Mick Smith had some kinda seizure this 45 was not considered suitable for playing in a Northern club because in the past the consensus was that it was not Northern, so had you waited to hear this at the Torch,Wigan,Mecca or Stafford you'd have been disappointed.

Ste, I take no offence at all and now that you have inducted me into the rare soul brigade Im looking forward to discussing matrix numbers with fellow enthusiasts until my lips fall off.

ROD

this (ANMHE) has been played over regularly in Dublin for past 10 years

Social source share

This never charted in the Uk so believe it or not, it's new to a lot of people, unlike the Elgins which was top 10 and a youth club disco classic for decades

Many people wouldnt have been around for Elgins first time Pete and it dont get as much plays as Same old mountain, HIYA and many others are just as uplifting, which is more my point why stick with the usual suspects when so many lesser knowns deserve an outing, as a record dealer thought you'd see that

Social source share

Many people wouldnt have been around for Elgins first time Pete and it dont get as much plays as Same old mountain, HIYA and many others are just as uplifting, which is more my point why stick with the usual suspects when so many lesser knowns deserve an outing, as a record dealer thought you'd see that

Whats being a record dealer got to do with what people play out? Elgins was played constantly throughout the 70's at normal discos, still is at wedding receptions, motown nights whatever, Ain't No Mountain High Enough has never had that kind of exposure, next you'll be recommending This Old Heart Of Mine and I Can't Help Myself, two of the greatest records ever made but hardly lessser played oldies...and I come back to the point that "Mountain" never charted here and has never had mass exposure - until now. So if it's to be dropped, at least replace it with something like Carolyn Crawford as this months Motown flavour of the month.

Social source share

Not really relevant but I've got a dutch picture sleeve EP of this somewhere, ANMHE is not the title track but is hiding in the tracks there somewhere. Think the title of the EP is Marvin and his Girls (or summat). I'd put a scan up if I knew where it was.

Must return to the painting and decorating now cos as soon as I've finished this room I can get my records and decks out of storage :thumbsup: I'm really missing them now sad.gif

Social source share

Can someone explain why this pop favourite of my mother's is getting played at the expense of say around ten thousand and upward tunes of better quality and who on earth is bidding on it.

:D Sorry can,t explain this one beats me as to why it gets played so often its been over played for me so much so i F**K*N HATE IT NOW!!!! frusty2.gif Almost every where you go its played :Dranting_1.gif theres just no getting away from it :D

Social source share

Can someone explain why this pop favourite of my mother's is getting played at the expense of say around ten thousand and upward tunes of better quality and who on earth is bidding on it.

:DSorry can,t explain this one beats me as to why it gets played so often its been over played for me so much so i F**K*N HATE IT NOW!!!! frusty2.gif Almost every where you go its played :Dranting_1.gif theres just no getting away from it :D

Awhh i likes it Helen!! :g: Suzy x

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert