Whos Gunna Carry The Soul Scene On?

Guest Impetejones

Soul Source has now decided to become an over 16s site because of reactions like yours amongst other things. You cannot expect people on an adult forum to expect junior contribution. Trevski reacted like he would have done to any other SS member...one of the reasons that SS has had to exclude minors is possible retribution from their relatives or associates and I think Trevski has already apologised for causing any offense to the person concerned.

Social source share

• Replies 187
  • Views 15.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Guest Trevski

Well Trevski

Has Alex been gobbing at you then? Because this isn't the same Alex that I know. He is politeness it's self. If you look back on the threads on soulsource when he was aloud to use it. He has never been rude to you when you have attacked him verbally. Respect my friend learn from it, it's a great thing to embrace. Let these young people find their idenity, and if it's soul music they love Embrace it and let them be part of it.I was when I was 13+ what has changed from then?

I think you ought to start with an apology , don't know what these young people think about what has been wrote on here about them??? Then to add to that they aren't allowed to join in and deffend themselves or event ask questions to learn more about the soul scene !!!!!

Well said spot my friend. Will see you on the door. Give Gail a great big hug from me.xx

As the above post says I have already appologised for previous remarks, perhaps the manner in which it was said was inapropriate, when replying to a child and I appologise for that.

However, "Gobbing off' as a term, doesn't mean being rude, as far as I am concerned, simply arguing about stuff the likes of which you know nothing about, which, IMHO they don't. Don't agree with children, which is what under 16's are, being allowed in venues etc. Diferent situation years ago, at 15 many were working full time, earning a wage, in the adult world, which makes them entitled to adult status. Furthermore, niters then didn't serve alchohol etc, and the age gap was negligble. These days the situation is entirely different. I feel it is entirely inapropriate for under age kids to be attending soul, or any other venues. 16+ fine, but less than that no. My opinion and I'm sticking to it, as I am entitled to do. As for remarks about dress and Djing etc

these remarks apply to any newbie, whatever their age, IMHO.

Not going to apologise for having a point of view that differs from someone elses, just as I don't expect, or want, anyone to apologise to me for any remarks they make that differ from mine. Thats the way of the world, we don't all see eye to eye. so what? Don't agree with the 'oldies' scene and have had people coming up and attacking me (verbaly) at venues for it. Am I gonna have 'The kids' supporters doing the same (or worse) every time I step out now?  As was said in another post "Trevski was only saying what many others were thinking" but as I was the one who said it, I carry the can, is that it? Grown ups at venues arguing over kids? Lets just agree to disagree, and leave it at that, shall we?

Edited by Trevski
Social source share

Guest Soultown andy

Agree with trevski entirley[theres a first]under sixteens at venues not on in my book,and before i reach for the tin hat we activley encourage the younger end of the scene to attend middleton.So much so that i dont know if anyones noticed when soul sams on ther are bunch of very attractive young ladies who now attend just to hear sam,and always dance at the front of the stage,there is life in the old boy yet.

Social source share

Agree with trevski entirley[theres a first]under sixteens at venues not on in my book,and before i reach for the tin hat we activley encourage the younger end of the scene to attend middleton.So much so that i dont know if anyones noticed when soul sams on ther are bunch of very attractive young ladies who now attend just to hear sam,and always dance at the front of the stage,there is life in the old boy yet.

Life in the old boy Andy...Does Sam go back stage with these ladies :yes:

Children at soul events.. :( ... Had a few in bars we have played at but they must be out of there before 8pm..You really don't want children to see what the adults get up to :)

Edited by little-stevie
Social source share

all those years slogging behind a couple of decks,is finally paying off!! :yes:

Social source share

Guest WPaulVanDyk

as i said here that i am young. I would like to see certain people give us young ones a chance before they slate us. If we are 26 or younger and wish to come on here go to Northern soul nights cause we want to get into the music etc i would hope that older people can help us.

I was about 20 when i first started but lucky for me my dad's friends were helpful to me as much as my dad.

No different to when we get older and we might ask how come there's more younger people getting into say rap,garage nights that we might still host. Not that i am into going to places that play it just that if they have there nights and there say my age and younger and in 20 years wish to keep it going do we accept that people younger want to come just that the music will still be bringing new tunes out weekly unlike Northern where it's either Modern (for new tunes) and oldies (unreleased discoveries as new)

Social source share

Guest Trevski

as i said here that i am young. I would like to see certain people give us young ones a chance before they slate us. If we are 26 or younger and wish to come on here go to Northern soul nights cause we want to get into the music etc i would hope that older people can help us.

I was about 20 when i first started but lucky for me my dad's friends were helpful to me as much as my dad.

No different to when we get older and we might ask how come there's more younger people getting into say rap,garage nights that we might still host. Not that i am into going to places that play it just that if they have there nights and there say my age and younger and in 20 years wish to keep it going do we accept that people younger want to come just that the music will still be bringing new tunes out weekly unlike Northern where it's either Modern (for new tunes) and oldies (unreleased discoveries as new)

26? I'd been going 11 years by then! Nothing wrong with 26 Paul, virtualy an old fogie!  :lol: The debate is/was really about under 16's. Not seen any posts 'slating' punters of your age.  :wicked:

Edited by Trevski
Social source share

26? I'd been going 11 years by then! Nothing wrong with 26 Paul, virtualy an old fogie!  :lol: The debate is/was really about under 16's. Not seen any posts 'slating' punters of your age.  :wicked:

================

I've seen a few slating James for having opinions that are sometimes viewed as controversial? Personally I like the fact that the youth of today have the bollox to put their point of view across because that's whats going to keep the scene fresh and the fact that theres internet sites to help do it, such as Soul Source, can only be a good thing. :lol:

Winnie:-)

Social source share

Guest Trevski

================

I've seen a few slating James for having opinions that are sometimes viewed as controversial? Personally I like the fact that the youth of today have the bollox to put their point of view across because that's whats going to keep the scene fresh and the fact that theres internet sites to help do it, such as Soul Source, can only be a good thing. thumbsup.gif

Winnie:-)

Surely that's about his controversial opinions, rather than his age? Don't think with anyone in their 20's age comes into it? Hardly can be described as children or kids, or am I wrong? Certainly doesn't bother me none!

Edited by Trevski
Social source share

Surely that's about his controversial opinions, rather than his age? Don't think with anyone in their 20's age comes into it? Hardly can be described as children or kids, or am I wrong? Certainly doesn't bother me none!

==============

I would say James alleged controversial views are born from passion, something more prevalent in the young rather than old die hards who don't like change. Not describing you by the way with the 'old die hards', just that some may buy into the idea that time on the scene equals seniority.

Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

am glad to see the against party joining in however wot have u actually got against younger people comin to ur events?

Pete, nothing against younger people coming to any event that I'm at. I was 15 when I got on the scene and was travelling ON MY OWN from Chatham to Wigan via the Big Bad City without an adult holding my hand. I also started DJ'ing at 16 - why - because I could. I already had 3 years of working part time in a record shop and going to local soul 'discos' - I didn't have the luxury of a youth club. I had to rely on platform shoes, a decent cleavage and a brass neck to get me into over 18's. By the time I was 16 I'd seen Harold Melvin, the O'Jays, Billy Paul, Delroy Wilson, developed a passion for Johnny Guitar Watson, thought EWF's That's the Way of the World was the dogs cajones and bought Ramsey Lewis Tequilla Mockingbird on the first day of UK release....yadda yadda yadda....I'd been buying Blues and Soul out of my OWN money since '72 and, without any role models, trying to do all of the above without my parents consent - I became economical with the truth to get to soul gigs and see soul artists.....why - because I wanted to. Pete, if you have the passion for the music, don't let anything or anyone get in your way - almost the words of McFadden and Whitehead. I'm 47 now and don't regret a minute of what I did to acheive what I did.

Tommy Potts graced the decks of These Old Shoes at the tender age of 15 - why - because I thought he had the 'stuff' and he didn't let me or himself down. Tommy gave a performance that shamed many older djs who'd been dj'ing for years - confident, excellent use of the mike and the tunes. Whatever people said - he's too young, the records are his dad's etc etc, Tommy did the business....

Any younger than 14 is pushing it a bit - there are drugs, bad language and fair robust behaviour at some gigs but hey - I survived and I'm a girlie :rolleyes: Just enjoy yourself and do your thing....Jo

Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

when soul sams on ther are bunch of very attractive young ladies who now attend just to hear sam,and always dance at the front of the stage,there is life in the old boy yet.

You or Sam :unsure: It's a difficult one for a promotor like yourself Andy as you have many people's opinions to accomodate - some don't mind, some bring their kids and some totally object but at the end of the day, you have to have the final say. It's a tough call - good luck to everyone who has this dilema. If the 'teenager' is 14-15 and wants to come along to one of your gigs and can assure you that he/she is genuinely there for the music, would you personally have any qualms? Plus, do you have licensing regs to stick to? That presents a problem in itself - anyone under 18 should be accompanied by an adult.....but we all know that kids look older today than we ever did. Anyway, the Soul Sam Harem sound great.... :rolleyes: Jo

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

Since when has northern soul become a social club for the old and the twisted? (Maybe not worth answering that)

Since when has music had an age limit on it? Some records carry "Parental advisory lyrics" stickers, like Guns And Roses and the like, but there aren't any of those on records being sold on Manship's site.

Since when has this website had an age restriction, and why? What is the point? If anyone says 'c***' it gets sensored out anyway, so I don't see why there's an age limit? This is an "adult site"? There are more obscenities thrown around at Prime Minister's Questions every week than there are on here! Adult site? :rolleyes:

If someone is old enough to get into a club, or look old enough and have the bollocks to pull it off, then good luck to them. But it's illegal and the promoter and venue should be careful not to lose their license.

As for encouraging kids at events. Daft in my opinion, at a weekender maybe, I can see the point, kind of, but it's not cool. Although I had a laugh with Billy's daughter at Cleethorpes a couple of years ago, actually had a sensible conversation with her, unlike the ones I had with everyone else there!

But if I had kids, I wouldn't let them near, it's irresponisble IMO to allow kids to be wandering around places where there are you know whats going on and being left around in bags and falling out of pockets. But I don't have kids, and I'm not really very responsible for my own actions alot of the time, so I wouldn't dare judge a parent who would allow their kids to go to a weekender with them. Just my opinion.

Edited by James Trouble
Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

Since when has northern soul become a social club for the old and the twisted? (Maybe not worth answering that)

Since when has music had an age limit on it? Some records carry "Parental advisory lyrics" stickers, like Guns And Roses and the like, but there aren't any of those on records being sold on Manship's site.

Since when has this website had an age restriction, and why? What is the point? If anyone says 'c***' it gets sensored out anyway, so I don't see why there's an age limit? This is an "adult site"? There are more obscenities thrown around at Prime Minister's Questions every week than there are on here! Adult site? :unsure:

If someone is old enough to get into a club, or look old enough and have the bollocks to pull it off, then good luck to them. But it's illegal and the promoter and venue should be careful not to lose their license.

As for encouraging kids at events. Daft in my opinion, at a weekender maybe, I can see the point, kind of, but it's not cool. Although I had a laugh with Billy's daughter at Cleethorpes a couple of years ago, actually had a sensible conversation with her, unlike the ones I had with everyone else there!

But if I had kids, I wouldn't let them near, it's irresponisble IMO to allow kids to be wandering around places where there are you know whats going on and being left around in bags and falling out of pockets. But I don't have kids, and I'm not really very responsible for my own actions alot of the time, so I wouldn't dare judge a parent who would allow their kids to go to a weekender with them. Just my opinion.

James, just out of interest, how old were you when you started clubbing? I'm sure you wouldn't have let anyone stop you from doing what you wanted to do :yes: Anyone under 14 unaccompanied is pushing it - and like we've both said there's a problem with the licensing regs. Teens with parents is OK - but the under 10's....but then again, I'm sure I'd bring my kids along if I had them....When I first started on the scene the majority of people were 17-19 so I wasn't regarded as a 'kid' and as far as I can remember there was only tea and soft drinks sold at most gigs - plenty of drugs tho'. Most lads up North had got married by 20 and grown a moustache and started a family.....and most of the girls on the scene did the same with the exception of the facial hair... :P

James, things were so different 30 years ago but if you or I did have kids now and we let them out on their own, we'd have to have the confidence that they'd behave responsibly in an 'adult' enviroment - just like we did at 16 :rolleyes: As for not being cool, I'm sure you'd want your kids to appreciate decent music and you'd be dead proud if you saw them up on the decks or holding their own with record dealers....that's cool. Sadly, I never had any - perhaps just as well :P Jo

Edited by vinylvixen
Social source share

Right, now that all you soulies are sayin under 18s shouldn't be allowed in and our parents are forcing us, you're all wrong!!! We choose to go to these venues and enjoy the music. We all enjoy to dance and get on with people who go to these venues. If you are wonderin who shouldn't be allowed in, it should be children that are been brought without realising where they are going I.E. Under 10 years old. I personally think if we are the ones to keep the faith alive, then you as soulies should support us in doin so.

Thank You.

if no one is going to volounteer then i bloody will, right when do i start and where is my office :rolleyes:

Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

Depends on what soulies use term young say under 20 or what.

i am 26 and hope that in 10 or 20 years i can still go out and enjoy the music and have like minded people who are say 40 now into the scene and 60 then to still be around doing it. It's the ones who are 50 now and thinking i be 70 then. I shall not abandon it but hope that there is a few more my age and younger to come along aswell those oldies who can come

Young Man, when you're 70, I'll be 91. You may help me with my ear trumpet and pint of Sanatogen but I'll be fine on the decks :rolleyes: Jo

Social source share

Pete, nothing against younger people coming to any event that I'm at. I was 15 when I got on the scene and was travelling ON MY OWN from Chatham to Wigan via the Big Bad City without an adult holding my hand. I also started DJ'ing at 16 - why - because I could. I already had 3 years of working part time in a record shop and going to local soul 'discos' - I didn't have the luxury of a youth club. I had to rely on platform shoes, a decent cleavage and a brass neck to get me into over 18's. By the time I was 16 I'd seen Harold Melvin, the O'Jays, Billy Paul, Delroy Wilson, developed a passion for Johnny Guitar Watson, thought EWF's That's the Way of the World was the dogs cajones and bought Ramsey Lewis Tequilla Mockingbird on the first day of UK release....yadda yadda yadda....I'd been buying Blues and Soul out of my OWN money since '72 and, without any role models, trying to do all of the above without my parents consent - I became economical with the truth to get to soul gigs and see soul artists.....why - because I wanted to. Pete, if you have the passion for the music, don't let anything or anyone get in your way - almost the words of McFadden and Whitehead. I'm 47 now and don't regret a minute of what I did to acheive what I did.

Tommy Potts graced the decks of These Old Shoes at the tender age of 15 - why - because I thought he had the 'stuff' and he didn't let me or himself down. Tommy gave a performance that shamed many older djs who'd been dj'ing for years - confident, excellent use of the mike and the tunes. Whatever people said - he's too young, the records are his dad's etc etc, Tommy did the business....

Any younger than 14 is pushing it a bit - there are drugs, bad language and fair robust behaviour at some gigs but hey - I survived and I'm a girlie :rolleyes: Just enjoy yourself and do your thing....Jo

I am really torn on this one, like Jo I was sneaking off to wigan at 15-16, sometimes after a 8-9 hour shift working on a hamburger stall or candy floss stall on the promonade ok not I didn't have as far to travel as Jo, and when my son was about 15-16 I would take him out to some of the places I went and I am still not sure I did the right thing, but I think when we were younger, everyone was younger....errrrrrrrrrr if you know what I mean.

I am not sure I now feel it is healthy for anyone younger than 16 to be attending events. I was DJing from when I was about 14 but that was at youth clubs with young people, not people old enough to be my parent/grandparents.

These youngsters like Pete, probably know far more than I know now as I was off the scene for so long, but can they please stay away till I catch up please :unsure::yes:

I want to see young people out and about and enjoying what we had and being the future of the scene but I think any younger than 16 is pushing it a bit to be going to and DJing at "adult nights" on Liscence premises (not sure either how the law stands on that its changed so much since I was in the pub/club trade), and I certainly don't want people any younger than 16 on soul source or at venues I attend (apart from weekenders cos thats a bit different) for many of the reasons other people have stated earlier, some of the spats on here can get pretty hairy.

ANd in answer to Pete's original question "who's gonna carry on the scene" why me of course!!!!! cos

Baby look at me

And tell me what you see

You ain't seen the best of me yet

Give me time I'll make you forget the rest

I got more in me

And you can set it free

I can catch the moon in my hands

Don't you know who I am

Remeber my name

Fame

I'm gonna live forever

I'm gonna learn how to fly

High

Will someone turn that bloody Kareoke machine off :P:P

QoFxx

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

Jo, I was 18 before I seriously started 'clubbing'. And I thought it was all such a load of rubbish (illegal raves, DnB, hip hop, trip hop, and indie bands) I'd started listenning to jazz, smoking a pipe in competitions(dutch blend and cherry blend by choice) and was DJing, promoting and mending what was brocken in our world by the time I was 19. Over ten years later and I've still not learnt that I'll never win :rolleyes:

At the end of the day, you should be over 18 to get into a club and to smoke a pipe, there are no laws on age when you can listen to music, and to impose and age restirction on membership of this site? That's pretty silly really :unsure:

453274174efbd_md.jpg

Edited by James Trouble
Social source share

James, if you want to know why we decided to implement an age restriction on the site then read the topic in Members Feedback where the reasoning is explained.

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

James, if you want to know why we decided to implement an age restriction on the site then read the topic in Members Feedback where the reasoning is explained.

Yes Miss...

:rolleyes:

Social source share

Jo, I was 18 before I seriously started 'clubbing'. And I thought it was all such a load of rubbish (illegal raves, DnB, hip hop, trip hop, and indie bands) I'd started listenning to jazz, smoking a pipe in competitions(dutch blend and cherry blend by choice) and was DJing, promoting and mending what was brocken in our world by the time I was 19. Over ten years later and I've still not learnt that I'll never win :rolleyes:

At the end of the day, you should be over 18 to get into a club and to smoke a pipe, there are no laws on age when you can listen to music, and to impose and age restirction on membership of this site? That's pretty silly really :unsure:

I agree with you JT....think kids should be encouraged on here and sites like it. At a venue thats a different matter, like you say still too much goes on you wouldn't want kids near. If they really do love the music then thbey will be there when they are old enough.

But in respopnse to the original question there will never be enough young 'uns to keep this scene as a dance scene alive. As a collecting scene that will probably always be there.

Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

more's the point,if "CARRY ON THE SOUL SCENE" was made, who would play the leading roles????

Sid James -

Bernard Bresslaw-

Charles Hawtry-

Kenneth Williams-

Fill in the blanks yourselves.....................

Bagsy be Hattie Jaques :unsure:

Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

I agree with you JT....think kids should be encouraged on here and sites like it. At a venue thats a different matter, like you say still too much goes on you wouldn't want kids near. If they really do love the music then thbey will be there when they are old enough.

But in respopnse to the original question there will never be enough young 'uns to keep this scene as a dance scene alive. As a collecting scene that will probably always be there.

It's a tough one Chalky. When is 'when they are old enough'? I was champing at the bit to get out at 12-13 - I couldn't imagine waiting until I was 18 to get out on the scene. Perhaps the 'older' ones on SS will appreciate how much we got away with at a tender age when licensing laws were lax and people didn't give a tinkers cuss about you smoking 60 Woodbine a day at 12....did we want our parents to 'protect' us from all this exploration - no we didn't. But it's a harsher world we live in now - and it's not so much exploration as protection from 'exploitation' - too many bad people about now. It's hard cheese that it's not legally acceptable for a person of 16 to go and enjoy a soul night or all nighter....glad I'm old and wrinkly :unsure:

Social source share

Well as one of those guilty parties that take my children out with me very occasionaly I think I'd best have my 2p worth of comment. My daughter, who some of you may know is only 10. She is not dragged by the neck to venues against her wishes, Far from it! She loves the music and loves dancing and is pretty bloody good too though i say it myself. She has her own little record box and has a little collection of things she likes. We only take her to Weekenders and things like Soul in the Sun but she has been to a couple of do's in the past (at the invitation of the promoters). Although she is only 10 she is respectful and knows how to behave and I can not see what harm this does. I agree with the comments about brats that run riot, dont really want to be there, and piss around on the dance floor. Believe me I am the first to get ratty about kids like that. But please don't tar all little ones with the same brush. Youngsters at Nighters? Definately not! what I don't get though is the fact that people on here are saying oooh no to 15/16 year olds going to venues - bloody hell I know 100's of people who were at wigan etc etc at that age come on give them a break they aint doing anything different to what we did! As for kids going out with their parents - If they are happy to do it then whats the big deal? Can I ask though - do we know of any 15/16 year old that has attended a do on their own or with a mate ? (you know like you all used to do 20/30 years ago? would that be so terrible? I'm not sure about that one. its like everything else, if they behave themselves its fine but we all did it so why should they be any different. anyway enough of my ranting on. still got suitecase loads of washing to do after Prestatyn. oh and if anyones curios I was that terrible mother that took her 2 year old to Prestatyn too - HE HAD THE TIME OF HIS LIFE and hasnt stopped dancing since.

Debs x

Social source share

It's a tough one Chalky. When is 'when they are old enough'? I was champing at the bit to get out at 12-13 - I couldn't imagine waiting until I was 18 to get out on the scene. Perhaps the 'older' ones on SS will appreciate how much we got away with at a tender age when licensing laws were lax and people didn't give a tinkers cuss about you smoking 60 Woodbine a day at 12....did we want our parents to 'protect' us from all this exploration - no we didn't. But it's a harsher world we live in now - and it's not so much exploration as protection from 'exploitation' - too many bad people about now. It's hard cheese that it's not legally acceptable for a person of 16 to go and enjoy a soul night or all nighter....glad I'm old and wrinkly :ohmy:

Harsher why,same world its allways been your in the wrong place you get stamped on :unsure: nothing changed only peoples perception,infact it should be better now with all the camaras everywere. :ohmy:

Social source share

It's a tough one Chalky. When is 'when they are old enough'? I was champing at the bit to get out at 12-13 - I couldn't imagine waiting until I was 18 to get out on the scene. Perhaps the 'older' ones on SS will appreciate how much we got away with at a tender age when licensing laws were lax and people didn't give a tinkers cuss about you smoking 60 Woodbine a day at 12....did we want our parents to 'protect' us from all this exploration - no we didn't. But it's a harsher world we live in now - and it's not so much exploration as protection from 'exploitation' - too many bad people about now. It's hard cheese that it's not legally acceptable for a person of 16 to go and enjoy a soul night or all nighter....glad I'm old and wrinkly :ohmy:

Harsher why,same world its allways been your in the wrong place you get stamped on :unsure: nothing changed only peoples perception,infact it should be better now with all the camaras everywere. :ohmy:

Social source share

We've judged each case individually when kids have wanted to come along to our night. Never had a problem with any of the kids/teens that have attended Bury. Sean Livesey's been coming out to venue's since he was about 12 when he used to go out with his dad. He became a resident at Bury when he was 14/15. I've never had any trouble from Sean or any of our young soulies, which is more than can be said for some of the 'more experienced' soulies!!. :unsure:

Jayne.

Social source share

not sure of licensing laws but didn't think kids allowed in a pub after a certain time so why should a soul night etc be any different.

I remember a few years ago at Alfreton there was that many kids they became a nusiance, they banned them eventually.

They should be at least 16 and with a responsible adult :unsure::ohmy:

Edited by chalky
Social source share

not sure of licensing laws but didn't think kids allowed in a pub after a certain time so why should a soul night etc be any different.

I remember a few years ago at Alfreton there was that many kids they became a nusiance, they banned them eventually.

They should be at least 16 and with a responsible adult :unsure::ohmy:

Hi Chalky,

In all the pubs I've worked, we were never told it was illegal for kids to be in the place but I have been told before now that its illegal for kids to be at the bar after a certain time. Most soul nights are private hire agreements, same as any function. Maybe it's a problem if they're around a bar area in a pub but not at most venues.

Whether it's right or not is a different matter... lol :ohmy:

Jayne.

Social source share

Hi Chalky,

In all the pubs I've worked, we were never told it was illegal for kids to be in the place but I have been told before now that its illegal for kids to be at the bar after a certain time. Most soul nights are private hire agreements, same as any function. Maybe it's a problem if they're around a bar area in a pub but not at most venues.

Whether it's right or not is a different matter... lol :ohmy:

Jayne.

i think you are quie right jayne, each individual should be judged on their own merits, as you know my daughter adelle has been on the scene for about 4 ys now, since she was 16, and i have never once worried about how she was looked upon. :unsure: oops i'm repying to eirlier quote. :ohmy:

Social source share

Jo, I was 18 before I seriously started 'clubbing'. And I thought it was all such a load of rubbish (illegal raves, DnB, hip hop, trip hop, and indie bands) I'd started listenning to jazz, smoking a pipe in competitions(dutch blend and cherry blend by choice) and was DJing, promoting and mending what was brocken in our world by the time I was 19. Over ten years later and I've still not learnt that I'll never win :ohmy:

At the end of the day, you should be over 18 to get into a club and to smoke a pipe, there are no laws on age when you can listen to music, and to impose and age restirction on membership of this site? That's pretty silly really :ohmy:

453274174efbd_md.jpg

You look taller in real life James :unsure:

Social source share

Guest barnsey

Jo, I was 18 before I seriously started 'clubbing'. And I thought it was all such a load of rubbish (illegal raves, DnB, hip hop, trip hop, and indie bands) I'd started listenning to jazz, smoking a pipe in competitions(dutch blend and cherry blend by choice) and was DJing, promoting and mending what was brocken in our world by the time I was 19. Over ten years later and I've still not learnt that I'll never win :unsure:

At the end of the day, you should be over 18 to get into a club and to smoke a pipe, there are no laws on age when you can listen to music, and to impose and age restirction on membership of this site? That's pretty silly really :ohmy:

453274174efbd_md.jpg

have you any recent photos of merv :ohmy:

Social source share

Don't understand the comparisons to when we were 14/15/16 in the 70's, we were exploring another world very much away from our parents and everything our 'normal' lives had to offer, not just wigan etc, weekends and school hols meant where can we go today that we havn't been before?

My 4 kids are aged 16 - 23 and are always asking me where this road or that street is, today they just don't seem as interested in finding out for themselves as we did, so whether its a good thing for youngsters to be on the soul scene or not, from my experience theres no comparison whatsoever with 30+ years ago, its a completely different world,

Pete

Social source share

Guest barnsey

god imagine being in a room full of youngsters talking sh*te getting up to silly pranks and generally behaving like 5year olds that would never do would it, not when the bulk of the people i know and love on the scene are truly world class at it :unsure:

Social source share

Guest Paul Brennan

Have I had a bad case of deja-vu or was all this not done to death a week ago, have ignored this thread as thought it was earlier one. Have to say, broadly speaking agree with a lot of arguments from both sides as it were, however, saviours of the scene,

good one :unsure: have had a right good laugh at that one.

strikes me a lot of this post has parallels with much of what we hear daily in tabloid press, news etc, Winnie you are right young people should be heard, they have rights, however with those rights come certain responsibilities, ie respect for others etc, sadly so far from our so called saviors, I have heard plenty of rights, but very little respect!

I wholeheartedly agree with Reg's post earlier on, the difference here is that instead of two adults disagreeing and then agreeing to disagree there are shit-loads of parents, family friends, acquaintances etc leaping to the defence of children. Nothing wrong with that in my opinion neither, but let them sort out what remains of the scene in their day. In the mean time let's just get on with enjoying our time, enjoying our music and let the future sort itself - it will anyway, no matter what we say or do.

PS Trevski a well known, well liked and well respected figure for many a long year on our scene seems to be receiving the brunt of the aggresive comments from some on here, I respectfully suggest you read what he has actually said, ie maybe the time to start on here is 16, what with all the shit that flies around.

This thread to me has done more to prove the point that the very young should not be on SS as the animosity caused is overboard. however younger people, the likes of Liam (toodarnsoulfull) ollie boogaloo, who I met at Cleethorpes plus all the young mod/smoothie element that the likes of Stevie Cato and Stevie T are introducing (in my area) probably loads more similarly across the country) can only help to sustain and keep going a fantastic tradition, that we helped to produce worldwide. Bitter infighting and attacks on one another will not help

Peace, love and respect to all, no matter what your creed colour or particular soul bag may be

Paul

Social source share

i think you are quie right jayne, each individual should be judged on their own merits, as you know my daughter adelle has been on the scene for about 4 ys now, since she was 16, and i have never once worried about how she was looked upon. :unsure: oops i'm repying to eirlier quote. :ohmy:

Hiya Pete,

long time no see - hope you're all well!. :ohmy:

Adelle is exactly one of the young people I'm thinking of actually, a lovely girl, very polite and much better behaved than some of the adults!.. (say Hi to her for me :) )

Jayne.x

Social source share

I agree with you pete i dont see wots the problem with under 16's going to northern soul venues if we enjoy the music and a good dance, personally i think most of you are been hypocritical as many of you were 14 - 16 when you first started going to soul venues, and for those of you who are saying that we were forced into it you are totally wrong my parents never forced me into anything and i still listen to other music not just northern soul. I also think that it isnt fair that you kicked Rose and Alex off of the site just for defending themselves.

Edited by Kelly Morvay
Social source share

Guest Paul Brennan

I agree with you pete i dont see wots the problem with under 16's going to northern soul venues if we enjoy the music and a good dance, personally i think most of you are been hypocritical as many of you were 14 - 16 when you first started going to soul venues, and for those of you who are saying that we were forced into it you are totally wrong my parents never forced me into anything and i still listen to other music not just northern soul. I also think that it isnt fair that you kicked Rose and Alex off of the site just for defending themselves.

Edited by who? , not that you were forced /made to edit of course, or it was done by mum or dad, editing your first post. Or is it just that it comes totally natural to a thirteen year old? newcomer to soul source.

Give us a break will you please?

Paul

Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

Its ok to play "Little Carl Carlton" or "Little Esther Philips" or are they not old enough to play in a club. :thumbsup:

Damn Kenny - I was just going to post the same thing. I'll have to stop playing Frances Nero and Little Stevie Wonder....let's stamp out this underage singing - whatever next biggrin.gif Jo

Social source share

Guest Paul Brennan

Damn Kenny - I was just going to post the same thing. I'll have to stop playing Frances Nero and Little Stevie Wonder....let's stamp out this underage singing - whatever next biggrin.gif Jo

Thank you and respect to you both, these falsetto vocals do my nut in :thumbsup:

Paul

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert