Whos Gunna Carry The Soul Scene On?

Guest Impetejones

Guest Paul Brennan

Whose gunna carry the soul scene on?

Me and other youngsters like me, I am only 51 and still have an awful lot to learn. Plenty of older soulies about who make my knowledge look miniscule.

People both younger and older are sometimes willing to impart this knowledge to me and others, believe me do not take for granted the information available to you through this site.

I

Social source share

• Replies 187
  • Views 15.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

All nighters bitd were generally attended by lads and lasses with little money, no means of transport (apart from your feet), one in ten of which had a motor (the posh one).

It was socially and politically different also, harder to assign yourself to and generally difficult, but for the true love of it, to be deemed a part of.

The sooner people relinquish he fact that the scene today has little or nothing to do with the scene you lived upon, and maybe still do, will be a good day.

It's not the same, the passion will never be in the hearts of the young as it was, it can't be.

You learned your music/knowledge by putting your hand in your pocket, train travelling, dicking about on buses and walking round unfamiliar towns before entering the nighter, digging through boxes, listening and dancing - no disrespect but you can learn what I learned over my years dedicated to the N scene, with the technology, in three months nowadays - and I must say, I have no problem with that, that's the way it is....it just seems to me that the pain factor has gone out of it... I think you had to dig deep, deeper than you do now, to call yourself a 'Soulie'.

Anyway, long live NS and long live the youth that care, I respect them for doing what we did...going against the grain and the social heirachy...that's difficult.

But no generation from here on in will care like we did.

Edited by Barry
Social source share

cut

I also think that it isnt fair that you kicked Rose and Alex off of the site just for defending themselves.

a totally wrong and false statement

took time to explain the reasoning behind why felt we HAD to adopt an over 16 policy

as said it can be read here

https://www.soul-source.co.uk/index.p...mp;#entry599095

if wanna talk about it then rather than get it mixed up with the venue issue ask can you do so there

thanks

mike

Social source share

Guest Chris Waterman

All nighters bitd were generally attended by lads and lasses with little money, no means of transport (apart from your feet), one in ten of which had a motor (the posh one).

It was socially and politically different also, harder to assign yourself to and generally difficult, but for the true love of it, to be deemed a part of.

The sooner people relinquish he fact that the scene today has little or nothing to do with the scene you lived upon, and maybe still do, will be a good day.

It's not the same, the passion will never be in the hearts of the young as it was, it can't be.

You learned your music/knowledge by putting your hand in your pocket, train travelling, dicking about on buses and walking round unfamiliar towns before entering the nighter, digging through boxes, listening and dancing - no disrespect but you can learn what I learned over my years dedicated to the N scene, with the technology, in three months nowadays - and I must say, I have no problem with that, that's the way it is....it just seems to me that the pain factor has gone out of it... I think you had to dig deep, deeper than you do now, to call yourself a 'Soulie'.

Anyway, long live NS and long live the youth that care, I respect them for doing what we did...going against the grain and the social heirachy...that's difficult.

Could not agree more, well said

but I still live with hope.

Social source share

Guest Trevski

unsure.gif

I agree with the over 16 site restriction but wot about the under 16's at soul venues!?!?!

Think it's all been said Pete. Some for, some against. Don't really think this topic has anywhere else to go now.

Social source share

Guest WPaulVanDyk

I thought this was about who will carry on the scene ie young people weather it's my age or younger i am not exactly in an older situation like many of you lot who are say 40 plus who carries on the scene now we are talking what happens in 25 years time when your 65 and older at least we will be at your age then

Social source share

Tommy Potts graced the decks of These Old Shoes at the tender age of 15 - why - because I thought he had the 'stuff' and he didn't let me or himself down. Tommy gave a performance that shamed many older djs who'd been dj'ing for years - confident, excellent use of the mike and the tunes. Whatever people said - he's too young, the records are his dad's etc etc, Tommy did the business....

Thanks very much for your kind post Jo. I much appreciated your support back then as i still do today. I must admit the 'These old shoes' event you had me on must be one of my most memorable sets, maybe because i turned Little Tommy up too loud and hit the sound limit, in result cutting the decks off :D . Really enjoyed it. thumbsup.gif

All the best,

Tommy.

Social source share

Guest andyrattigan

There are many young folk, mostly in their 20's and 30's that travel from abroad to attend allnighters in England. I've met a few Spanish lads down the 100 club a few times that travelled all the way from Spain from provincial towns to the heart of London just for a dance. Now that's dedication for you.

I used to travel from Ireland in my early twenties, before I lived here, to venues in the UK and to buy sounds that I couldn't get in Ireland and to hear new music. I don't think that it's fair to say that the original "Northern" crowd have any real right to claim to be more passionate about Soul music than the younger folk into the scene today. It all depends on the individual.

Social source share

Thanks very much for your kind post Jo. I much appreciated your support back then as i still do today. I must admit the 'These old shoes' event you had me on must be one of my most memorable sets, maybe because i turned Little Tommy up too loud and hit the sound limit, in result cutting the decks off :D . Really enjoyed it. thumbsup.gif

All the best,

Tommy.

Tommy, it was a brilliant set, a highlight of These Old Shoes. The bloody sound limiter was a pain though, I think you were guesting just after it had been installed, all because a guy had bought a flat opposite the bar and thought that central london should be much quieter than it was. The following month we muffled the mike on it and turned it away from the decks, the month after we talked the manager into bypassing it.

To keep on topic; err I don't think that a younger generation will take to the scene as it is in the UK as the average age must be over 45 which will put them off. Also the format of music has changed; nobody really wants to hold music in their hands anymore and it is difficult to envisage rarity in digital format music. A rare mp3 anyone? And try explaining to a 15 year old why a round piece of vinyl is worth £4500 when the tune is available on many CDs.

A younger generation may discover the music for the quality of the music alone but will not care if something only exists on a one off acetate or was pressed in its 1000's. If you look at tunes from a quality point of view only, then Washed Ashore and Please Let Me In would be played more regularly.

If any wants a younger generation to get into the music then it will have to be taken to them not vice versa. Good music that makes people want to dance is the key not chin stroking old men like me.

Social source share

For new people joinging the scene it is just not possible to assemble a collection of the classic oldies or much talked about tunes.

Unless you've got stupid money to throw around.

In days gone by people had the luxury of buying a few turkeys as prices were so much lower. So basically any mistakes could be taken on the chin with the knowledge that a lot of other purchases turned out to be great tunes and good value.

Now you can still buy cheap soul these days that is great but you won't get hold of the classics or big dancefloor tunes for prices paid in days gone by. And there are not enouigh people interested to create a new scene based around these cheaper tunes.

The scene is so far removed from what it should be its dead on its feet and it will never recover.

Sorry to be negative but i tried with the northern scene for quite a long time and got so disaillusioned by it. Its just a joke these days.

I still love soul music as a listening medium and still collect when time and money allows but as for a scene I can't ever see it happening again.

Social source share

Guest andrew bin

i was listening to a mark ronson (young hip trendy DJ/producer who does some excellent stuff) interview on the internet last night and and he listed northern soul as one of his influences,

god put a smile*LINK*

Edited by andrew bin
Social source share

i was listening to a mark ronson (young hip trendy DJ/producer who does some excellent stuff) interview on the internet last night and and he listed northern soul as one of his influences,

god put a smile*LINK*

And he uses the Daptone horns on some of the tracks on his 'Version' album smile.gif

Social source share

I was brought into soul music by my dad as a toddler in the 60's he was mad for it, by the early 70's my sisters were bouncing round britain to various soul venues and i was getting a weekly dose of new soul recordings on my phillips portable casstette player that had been taped (rather poorley) at part of a venue that weekend, by the time i was 14 I was glad to have some great mentors like Paul rowe, Steve peebles, Steve Paiter, Big Ray butters, who (coz i was small) blagged me into nighters, they showed great friendship to a snotty nosed whipper snapper who was mad on the soul scene, didnt care about my age, just wanted me to love the music....we should do the same for all the younger folks who are passionette about soul music and give them the experiences of our miss spent youth.

But then again theyell get there own as the same old things, politics, drugs, etc etc were there in the past and will be there in the future, it'll be just a tad more pricey to collect. and remember what was new to us is opening up and new to them....just think of that buzzzzz......shit i wish i was young again

Geeooooordie

Social source share

Guest soul city

at the end of the day not enough young uns coming on to the scene (peaple like me in there 40's and 50's cant go on forever)

and that will be that so enjoy while you can ! :rolleyes::hypo:

Social source share

For new people joinging the scene it is just not possible to assemble a collection of the classic oldies or much talked about tunes.

In days gone by people had the luxury of buying a few turkeys as prices were so much lower. So basically any mistakes could be taken on the chin with the knowledge that a lot of other purchases turned out to be great tunes and good value.

Now you can still buy cheap soul these days that is great but you won't get hold of the classics or big dancefloor tunes for prices paid in days gone by. And there are not enouigh people interested to create a new scene based around these cheaper tunes.

The scene is so far removed from what it should be its dead on its feet and it will never recover.

Sorry to be negative but i tried with the northern scene for quite a long time and got so disaillusioned by it. Its just a joke these days.

I still love soul music as a listening medium and still collect when time and money allows but as for a scene I can't ever see it happening again.

I'm really surprised by this post. I can think of lots of reasons why I totally disagree with everything you've said there.

Jayne.

Social source share

Time for a comment me thinks, no I haven't already that was my wife Gail using my name in vein, although I did agree. :D

Firstly on other folks comments, I agree fully with Chalky & J.T. the young up & coming need our support & encouragement. :hypo:

It's not a harsher world (more child murders in 50's & 60's than now) it's just that we are better informed & much more media aware.

I agree with most of what Deb says, I don't agree with kids at nighters really (bit hypocritical really as we did it!) but I love to see them at alldayers enjoying themself's & take my niece (11) to Drax Alldayer on New Years day every year & she leaves at 9pm & at Johnny Redpants Charity dayer there were kids there having a ball & behaving, having said that we must remember that there are predators out there & be careful. :(

Sorry but I don't agree with Barry, the scene to my mind is basically the same, the punters are just a lot more weathered & Why can't the passion be in the hearts of the younger generation, I fell in love with the genre at 14 & had the passion, remember it's not & never was our generations God given right to keep this music for ourself's only. :D

Someone mentioned Laws & Rules, well they have been bent & broken since time immemorial & I'm sure this will carry on long after we are gone. I remember my wife Gail & her best friend sneaking into the Highland Rooms at Blackpool Mecca after thumbing it from Goole & they were the grand age of 14 at the time. :rolleyes:

It makes me wonder are we falling into our parents generation trap of, "Do what I say & not what I do". Are we more concerned because we remember what we were doing or not doing & how responsible little adults we were at that age, people worry about drugs but the scene was awash with them in the 70's & no doubt we all lost friends to them but these are our fears not the youths. :D

So Pete, Alex, Rosie, Kelly & any other young enthusiasts keep on doing what your doing & don't listen to us Grumpy old farts, we're just jealous of your youth really cos ours has gone, long ago, by the way I'm sick of hearing about teens & youths (3 pages here) it's starting to make me feel even more ancient than I am already, so please desist, thank you. :D

Take care & be safe,

Spot. :g:

Edited by spot
Social source share

at the end of the day not enough young uns coming on to the scene (peaple like me in there 40's and 50's cant go on forever)

and that will be that so enjoy while you can ! :rolleyes::hypo:

i think weve got another 20 years so lets enjoy it and not worry about the future

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

Hi Dylan,

With respect mate, why would you want to assemble a collection of classic oldies and over hyped records to play out? There are already people out there playing those tunes so the important thing is always to be looking for fresh and interesting tunes IMO, if you want to be DJing.

I personally only have 'classics' or 'oldies' in my play box in order to structure a set around more interesting sounds. Their use within a DJ set is to keep the dance floor moving IMO. Of course there are some records I own but neve rgo int he play box, jsut because I like them and don't look to DJ with them, but that's a seperate issue to what you are talking about I believe?

With regards the 'much talked about' tunes, these were normally pretty cheap a little while ago, and there is no need to go chasing them now once they are hyped, as obviously someone has already got behind the tunes and are hammering them to make them popular.

So in theory, if you want to keep a set flowing with a few classics they don't need to be big money items, there are so many amazing classic tunes for pocket money. And if you want to be making a set interesting you shouldn't be chasing over hyped 'newies' because if you are serious about DJing you should be finding your own sounds and if you can't do that then there is not much point wanting to be DJing if you only want oldies and tunes of the moment.

There are already enough of those sheep around to fill the Kings Hall twice over!

One of the DJs I have on at Soul Revolution on New Years Eve, Helena, she's a student in her 20s, but she's still managed to assemble a very intersting and worthwhile DJ set, she has faith in her own taste and is focused on what she wants to achieve with her collection. She's a cracking DJ, great dancer and a serious promoter of this music filling up really cool clubs with people in their 20s and 30s. Money doesn't come into it IMO.

Sorry mate, I disagree with you totally, but I do understand your frustration.

But you are right about things being different these days to how they were even 7 or 8 years ago. What it means is that if you are serious about DJing (it seems everyone wants to be or is a DJ these days!) I guess you just have to be especially focused and very careful about every record you buy. But also self honesty is important, I'd love to be a race car driver, but it isn't going to happen. I don't have a lifetime on my hands to do it. With the Butch's, Tim Brown's, Ady Croasdell's, Andy Dyson's etc of the world, they've been doing it hard core all their life, 30+ years of heavy collecting from the very start of the scene when records were purchased by weight or volume not title or label, these kinds of characters are a dieing breed, once they are gone there won't be any more like that. But there will always be people with good taste, dedication and an interest in dancing to this music in great clubs full of cool people for the next 500 years.

Keep your chin up mate, keep on keeping on, wigan forever, and all that :rolleyes:

sheep_chorus_line.gif

Edited by James Trouble
Social source share

Guest James Trouble

The problem for today is that the so callled dieing breed are not dead and are still bidding $$$$ on the interesting items that are on the bay :rolleyes:

Are you sure that's a problem Simon? Isn't it a good thing that we have people in this country who a good DJs and are still passionate about buying interesting items to play out and are prepared to out bid people in other countries? If we didn't have those people then it would be a problem if all these interesting items were heading off to Japan, America and Europe into collections and not into DJs hands because then we'd never hear them in the places that are best to hear them, in the clubs being danced to on a Saturday night.

It's cause for hope and celebration, not accusations of "silly money" and doom and gloom. Be thankfull we have these people.

Nah, it's totally a good thing, unless you're a selfish collector who just wants to horde records cheaply and look at your precious while everyone else wants to dance to them at the weekend but can't because they've been locked into collections of non DJs :hypo:

Social source share

Hi Dylan,

With respect mate, why would you want to assemble a collection of classic oldies and over hyped records to play out? There are already people out there playing those tunes so the important thing is always to be looking for fresh and interesting tunes IMO, if you want to be DJing.

I personally only have 'classics' or 'oldies' in my play box in order to structure a set around more interesting sounds. Their use within a DJ set is to keep the dance floor moving IMO. Of course there are some records I own but neve rgo int he play box, jsut because I like them and don't look to DJ with them, but that's a seperate issue to what you are talking about I believe?

With regards the 'much talked about' tunes, these were normally pretty cheap a little while ago, and there is no need to go chasing them now once they are hyped, as obviously someone has already got behind the tunes and are hammering them to make them popular.

So in theory, if you want to keep a set flowing with a few classics they don't need to be big money items, there are so many amazing classic tunes for pocket money. And if you want to be making a set interesting you shouldn't be chasing over hyped 'newies' because if you are serious about DJing you should be finding your own sounds and if you can't do that then there is not much point wanting to be DJing if you only want oldies and tunes of the moment.

There are already enough of those sheep around to fill the Kings Hall twice over!

One of the DJs I have on at Soul Revolution on New Years Eve, Helena, she's a student in her 20s, but she's still managed to assemble a very intersting and worthwhile DJ set, she has faith in her own taste and is focused on what she wants to achieve with her collection. She's a cracking DJ, great dancer and a serious promoter of this music filling up really cool clubs with people in their 20s and 30s. Money doesn't come into it IMO.

Sorry mate, I disagree with you totally, but I do understand your frustration.

But you are right about things being different these days to how they were even 7 or 8 years ago. What it means is that if you are serious about DJing (it seems everyone wants to be or is a DJ these days!) I guess you just have to be especially focused and very careful about every record you buy. But also self honesty is important, I'd love to be a race car driver, but it isn't going to happen. I don't have a lifetime on my hands to do it. With the Butch's, Tim Brown's, Ady Croasdell's, Andy Dyson's etc of the world, they've been doing it hard core all their life, 30+ years of heavy collecting from the very start of the scene when records were purchased by weight or volume not title or label, these kinds of characters are a dieing breed, once they are gone there won't be any more like that. But there will always be people with good taste, dedication and an interest in dancing to this music in great clubs full of cool people for the next 500 years.

Keep your chin up mate, keep on keeping on, wigan forever, and all that :hypo:

sheep_chorus_line.gif

Good point JT. :rolleyes:

Jayne.x

Social source share

Are you sure that's a problem Simon? Isn't it a good thing that we have people in this country who a good DJs and are still passionate about buying interesting items to play out and are prepared to out bid people in other countries? If we didn't have those people then it would be a problem if all these interesting items were heading off to Japan, America and Europe into collections and not into DJs hands because then we'd never hear them in the places that are best to hear them, in the clubs being danced to on a Saturday night.

It's cause for hope and celebration, not accusations of "silly money" and doom and gloom. Be thankfull we have these people.

Nah, it's totally a good thing, unless you're a selfish collector who just wants to horde records cheaply and look at your precious while everyone else wants to dance to them at the weekend but can't because they've been locked into collections of non DJs :hypo:

Yeah but with the thread in mind, its certainly a problem for young collectors trying to get interesting items ( I bet helena or Karl M would agree ) Btw the interesting items for me are already in Japan their retro soul scene is almost as old as ours ! ..

And as for hearing fresh interesting retro sounds in a UK club every saturday night or even just one Saturday a month , your having a bubble bath mate , its not happening , as you say too many sheep around looking sheepish :rolleyes: IMHO of course

Simon

Edited by Simon M
Social source share

Yeah but with the thread in mind, its certainly a problem for young collectors trying to get interesting items ( I bet helena or Karl M would agree ) Btw the interesting items for me are already in Japan their retro soul scene is almost as old as ours ! ..

And as for hearing fresh interesting retro sounds in a UK club every saturday night or even just one Saturday a month , your having a bubble bath mate , its not happening , as you say too many sheep around looking sheepish :lol: IMHO of course

Simon

First, thanks JT for your many kind words... Money is without a doubt important, but it's all about prioritizing. Instead of hanging out at cool coffee shops every afternoon I search for records (and sometimes even do a bit of studying). I also don't dress even half as trendy as my fellow studymates and I couldn't care less. biggrin.gif

Talking about ebay, I wouldn't call the English a bigger problem than all the Japanese, American and European bidders. I usually win the ebay items I really want or somehow get them in the end anyway. :lol:

My main struggle is that many of my wants simply aren't around and seem unknown to most dealers. There's no competition really, the issue is tracking a copy down.

Social source share

Your right Helena about the Japanese european bidders etc. But if you as a younger collector do want a record that the top 20 ebayers want your bid is not even going to be submitted because they are going to have it for sure !!

Edited by Simon M
Social source share

Your right Helena about the Japanese european bidders etc. But if you as a younger collector do want a record that the top 20 ebayers want your bid is not even going to be submitted because they are going to have it for sure !!

True, but then don't go for the records the "20 top ebayers" want. There are so many other great ones and the desirable pricey records will hopefully still be around when all us oh ever so young collectors get proper jobs in a couple of years. Though I must stress that age and income don't always correlate and younger people usually don't have a family to take care of.

Social source share

True, but then don't go for the records the "20 top ebayers" want. There are so many other great ones and the desirable pricey records will hopefully still be around when all us oh ever so young collectors get proper jobs in a couple of years. Though I must stress that age and income don't always correlate and younger people usually don't have a family to take care of.

Personally I rarely do. but if I was a young poor Northern Soul DJ on today's scene with just interesting records I'd be going down the hotbox root .However I'm not!! so thankfully it wont happen ...phew !! :lol:

Simon

Edited by Simon M
Social source share

And as for hearing fresh interesting retro sounds in a UK club every saturday night or even just one Saturday a month , your having a bubble bath mate , its not happening , as you say too many sheep around looking sheepish :P IMHO of course

Simon

Totally dont agree with you, all though im not so young any more, (well compared to some of the dinosaurs i am :sleep3: ) I dont find any problem whatso ever finding new interesting tunes, while all the 'sheep' (as james puts it) can bid on records like Lil major williams, Joseph webster, Jo Jamma and all the like its less people bidding on the 'interesting' items that i can pick up cheaper, i've never been as skint as i have been the last three years setting up my business, but i've still managed to turn tunes over to keep spots worthwhile and enjoyable with out playing the exact same spot over and over again, so to say 'collecting is a problem' for a younger generation, is well pants basicly yes.gif

True, but then don't go for the records the "20 top ebayers" want. There are so many other great ones

:wicked:

Social source share

Totally dont agree with you, all though im not so young any more, (well compared to some of the dinosaurs i am :sleep3: ) I dont find any problem whatso ever finding new interesting tunes, while all the 'sheep' (as james puts it) can bid on records like Lil major williams, Joseph webster, Jo Jamma and all the like its less people bidding on the 'interesting' items that i can pick up cheaper, i've never been as skint as i have been the last three years setting up my business, but i've still managed to turn tunes over to keep spots worthwhile and enjoyable with out playing the exact same spot over and over again, so to say 'collecting is a problem' for a younger generation, is well pants basicly :wicked:

Of course you can find interesting records with a low budget, and be part the so called intelligent oldies crowd. It's what most collectors are doing now and that's what the northern scene will become .. I think even Rod Shard agreed .

Social source share

Have a look at the photos (and playlists) on this link and you will see the future bright and clear and it's not in some working men's club with talc in yer beer and stalls selling Northern soul gonks.

https://www.clubfunction.com/

Jordi

Interesting website. Certainly looked a slightly younger audience than the average Northern do in the UK.

I must show my ignorance by not knowing that many of the tracks listed, but some looked as if they were on the funky side. I don't think that too much of that sort of thing would go down quite so well over here at a Northern night. But no doubt a younger crowd, without our prejudices, might well enjoy it.

If the scene is to have a long term future that seems the way to go.

Social source share

Interesting website. Certainly looked a slightly younger audience than the average Northern do in the UK.

I must show my ignorance by not knowing that many of the tracks listed, but some looked as if they were on the funky side. I don't think that too much of that sort of thing would go down quite so well over here at a Northern night. But no doubt a younger crowd, without our prejudices, might well enjoy it.

You're right Geoff, those kind of tunes would probably have a hard time on yer average Saturday night baggies and beertowels UK Northern scene, although certain people are pushing the boundaries already, but the thread header didn't mention the 'Northern' scene. A healthy scene which mixes up the eras and genres and has a trendy, good looking young crowd who know their tunes, played on top sound systems in cool surroundings is probably going to outlast the UK Northern scene.

Jordi

Social source share

I need to do you a few more tapes and CD's then Geoff :thumbsup: Seriously I reckon you'd like 70% of those tracks listed.

Steve

Social source share

I dont think people should worry about the soul scene. The scene wont die there is plenty of new blood coming into it I got into the scene when I was 15 and I am still a die hard soul boy now 25.

People such as Alex & Rose Peter and Laura Lou and loads more people I aint met well keep the scene alive at the end of the day its a way of thinking a way of live. And if you feel like your on top of the world on that dance floor then you know it feels right. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

I must show my ignorance by not knowing that many of the tracks listed, but some looked as if they were on the funky side. I don't think that too much of that sort of thing would go down quite so well over here at a Northern night.

Personally I think things have changed a bit over the past couple of years, but maybe I'm wrong? Do you think it could go something like this? :thumbsup:

sheep-flock.jpg

A record comes on in the sheep pen (click to hear)

"Bahhh, I don't like this, it's a bit too funky for me"

"Yes, baaaaah, we all feel the same, we dont' know it, this isn't northern soul!"

Another record comes on...(click to hear)

"What's this record playing now?"

"Baaah, that's the Flaming Emeralds, they played that at the Casino!"

"Baaaah, great I went there twice in 1978, if it was played there it must be good, shall we all dance to it?"

"I have it on CD at the farm as well, "The best Northern Soul album in the Farm ever vol2". I love northern, let's stomp!"

"Yes, baaaah, let's all dance to it, WIGAN FOREVER!"

In the end those sort of people and events will become like the Rock and Roll scene, a bit irrelevent apart from for the folk who like a social event, friends reunited, chatting about the old days etc. But what will remain important is the music and the cool clubs, because there will always be people looking to dance to cool music, in cool places all night long. And the music is, really, really good and will always have a place in clubs all over the world for hundreds of years to come. So stop worrying, it's good, it's exciting and there are great things going on at the moment. Get out there and enjoy it :thumbsup:

Edited by James Trouble
Social source share

Personally I think things have changed a bit over the past couple of years, but maybe I'm wrong? Do you think it could go something like this? :D

sheep-flock.jpg

A record comes on in the sheep pen (click to hear)

"Bahhh, I don't like this, it's a bit too funky for me"

"Yes, baaaaah, we all feel the same, we dont' know it, this isn't northern soul!"

Another record comes on...(click to hear)

"What's this record playing now?"

"Baaah, that's the Flaming Emeralds, they played that at the Casino!"

"Baaaah, great I went there twice in 1978, if it was played there it must be good, shall we all dance to it?"

"I have it on CD at the farm as well, "The best Northern Soul album in the Farm ever vol2". I love northern, let's stomp!"

"Yes, baaaah, let's all dance to it, WIGAN FOREVER!"

In the end those sort of people and events will become like the Rock and Roll scene. They will become irrelevent. But what will remain important is the music and the cool clubs, because there will always be people looking to dance to cool music, in cool places. And the music is, really, really good and will always have a place in nightclubs for hundreds of years to come. So stop worrying, it's good, it's exciting and there are great things going on at the moment. Get out there and enjoy it :thumbsup:

I like your post James - amusing, but, very true. I agree entirely with what this post says - not that it matters what I think!

:thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

Well said that man..

This was us queuing up at the Kent do last Friday..

M

Are they sheep or poodles?

How good was that Kent party!!! Pretty special IMO. Didn't alot of people say that was one of, if not the best event they have ever been to? That's not a sign of a 'scene' in crisis IMO. People need to stop worrying, it's good, exciting and healthy :thumbsup: A few too many weak local events that serve no real purpose other than suck people, who should really know better, away from the special parties. But don't worry too much about it, it'll sort itself out over the next year or so I think...

"Wheres that James Trouble hes been trying to play funk and disco on our scene "

Not me guv, that'll be Soul Sam and Butch. I only play 60s stompers, don't I? :thumbsup:

Edited by James Trouble
Social source share

Guest James Trouble

Perhaps someone should utilise a lovely club over here for a nighter like the one shown on the club function site, that may help the state of play...or is there one?

Might be worth trying this, but it's my club, so it looks it like a blatent plug, which it is of course...

It's going to run monthly Fridays next year, dates to be confirmed.

med_gallery_663_1453_154098.jpg

Edited by James Trouble
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert