Dave Godin

Guest Paul

I just came across some old letters and a card from Dave Godin and I realised that on Monday it will be three years since he passed away.

He would have been 71 now, almost my mam's age, but he always seemed young at heart.

Anyway, he isn't forgotten.

Paul Mooney

Social source share

• Replies 23
  • Views 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

I just came across some old letters and a card from Dave Godin and I realised that on Monday it will be three years since he passed away.

He would have been 71 now, almost my mam's age, but he always seemed young at heart.

Paul Mooney

Strange coincidence .....

I was going through some stuff today , and amongst it , was the order of service from David's funeral .....

Bless you David .....

Malc Burton

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

Where did that 3 years go?

I was showing some of Daves old letters to Tats only the other week.

In amongst it was a flyer that Dave did for the Deep Soul Appreciation Society, which we started together in the late 80's.

He and I were the only members!

If I get the chance I'll post a copy of it up here.

It's pretty hilarious in retrospect and suggests that people should complete a questionnaire to qualify! :thumbsup:

Wonder if interest might have been greater if we'd started it nowadays?

Sean

Social source share

Hello Sean,

The "Deep Soul Appreciation Society" makes me think of secret meetings in dimly-lit rooms, with Special Branch agents parked across the street trying to identify all the members - which wouldn't have been a very difficult task.

Dave's letters were private but one of them contained his track listing for a deep soul album he wanted us to release on Ardent in the early 1990s. Dave was often ill and I became occupied with other things so nothing happened but, with a few changes, the project became 'Deep Soul Treasures' for Ace Records in 1997 and everyone was shocked - but delighted - when it sold so well. It must have helped that every member of your society bought a copy!

:lol:

Please send me an application form.

Paul Mooney

Social source share

Where did that 3 years go?

I was showing some of Daves old letters to Tats only the other week.

In amongst it was a flyer that Dave did for the Deep Soul Appreciation Society, which we started together in the late 80's.

He and I were the only members!

If I get the chance I'll post a copy of it up here.

It's pretty hilarious in retrospect and suggests that people should complete a questionnaire to qualify! :P

Wonder if interest might have been greater if we'd started it nowadays?

Sean

As we too well know , Sean , Dave did not do things by half .......

Like the occasion when he would not believe that you and I were not brothers , and was going to insist on legal documentation to prove it ......

I can remember the sincere consideration given to the DSAS , by the two of you ( late 1988 ? ) , and I am sure that both of you when you were mooting the idea , asked me what I thought of the questionaire part of it ......

I think the reason for me not joining , was the old Groucho Marx adage of / that " I would not want to join a club that would admit people like me " .......

If the DSAS was to be done today , Dave would have been more meticulous in respect of the scrutiny regarding qualification for membership ! :lol:

We will never see his like again .

Malc Burton

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

Guest Karen Heath

I still miss my telephone chats with Dave.....I say chats but I remember one in particular that lasted over 6 hours! We used to cover all manner of weird and wonderful subjects in which we had a mutual interest, least of all music.

We became friends later in his life, (as I always pointed out to him he was so MANY years older than me!) and I only met him a couple of years before he died but we became very close such was his capacity to form strong and warm bonds with people.

We wrote letters too and I still enjoy re-reading them...they make me burst out laughing!

Although I miss him, I always remember him with a smile as he could be so hilariously witty and/or camp. The last present he sent me was a book called 'Tailwinds'-the lore and language of fizzles, farts and toots....not one of his more highbrow choices!

Those 3 years have whizzed by but I can remember his voice like I heard it yesterday. I wish it had been yesterday.

Miss you Dave!

Social source share

Strange coincidence .....

I was going through some stuff today , and amongst it , was the order of service from David's funeral .....

Bless you David .....

Malc Burton

I too was recently reading an old Mojo that contained Tony Rounce's excellent tribute to Dave .. and of course only ten days later John Peel passed

Mike

Social source share

I thought about him a lot while doing the Larry Banks CD, but I had no idea it was 3 years. He remembered everybody's birthday by memory and used to give me little nudges like my mum if someone's was up and coming who I should be sending a card to. He'd have revelled in this weekend, being such a vital part of Kent's make up, but he'd have struggled with that smoking ban at the concert.

Social source share

I thought about him a lot while doing the Larry Banks CD, but I had no idea it was 3 years. He remembered everybody's birthday by memory and used to give me little nudges like my mum if someone's was up and coming who I should be sending a card to. He'd have revelled in this weekend, being such a vital part of Kent's make up, but he'd have struggled with that smoking ban at the concert.

In respect of the smoking ban , I am certain Dave would have attempted to get around it , and have said something along the lines of " I'll smoke where I like- it's their ban , not mine "........

Malc Burton

Social source share

I think the reason for me not joining , was the old Groucho Marx adage of / that " I would not want to join a club that would admit people like me " .......

Hello Malc, I think you're more of a rebel than Dave was.

As strange as it sounds, I know some people who are so rebellious they might actually start smoking because of the smoking ban!

:thumbup:

Paul Mooney

Rebel without a pause

Social source share

Hello Malc, I think you're more of a rebel than Dave was.

As strange as it sounds, I know some people who are so rebellious they might actually start smoking because of the smoking ban!

:thumbsup:

Paul Mooney

Rebel without a pause

Surely you mean Rabble :lol: ........

Malc Burton

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

Paul Mooney

By coincidence another year worth of Donkey adoption papers landed on the mat yesterday :thumbsup: .

A man who had time for everyone he met, a true citizen of the world.

Regards Alan

Social source share

Doesn't seem 3 years since Dave died , first met him in 1974 when he was working for Black Music , spent the day in London with him , took me and a few mates to the Black music offices , Black Wax record shop and Blues and Soul record shop .Next time I corresponded with him was when he did an imaginary tape for Mojo magazine during the 90's featuring some his all time Deep Soul faves .I cheekily wrote to him and asked if he could actually record the tape for me , which he did by return of post , what a great guy !! He was the main man in the early days with his tips on old Soul and new releases , doubt if we will ever see his like again .Best ,Eddie

Social source share

i too have daves tapes that eventually made up the kent deep soul releases all 5 volumes...(tapes that is)

a truely generous and anarchic man, although i never did begin to understand esperanza...i remember a bonfire night round at dave and alfs, made me the best cup of tea ever..still think about that dark heady brew from mr G.

forever in our minds

RESPECT

Edited by souljazera
Social source share

Dave

it doesnt feel like and seems like yesterday that we where on our way across the Penines to another interview With Richard on his Cellar full of Soul show on a Sunday morning

We talked ,well really you talked and I listened and you meandered down a lifetime of memories lasting just hours and taking in years,

Miss those talks and days

Long may you be in our thoughts.

Social source share

I owed Dave a lot - he pretty much put me on the media map in the early 70's when he did a B&S column called "The New Wave Soul Masons" or something similar and based the article around me plus got my piccy in there as well which was a first for me back then. Also I believe he was the one who got me my first ever compilation job - compiling the Stax Northern Soul album in 1974, so he had no idea what he triggered 33 years ago LOL.......

R.I.P. Dave - I'll be having a fag and thinking about you!

Ian D

Social source share

Amen!!

Sheffield Council admin section now redundant without DG's thousands of letters to deal with

Sadly missed - fondly remembered - doubt there will be another

Social source share

Guest Karen Heath

what a superb picture karen...do u have a copy or a scan at high rez

I haven't got a high resolution scan but here is a link to the photo on 6ts website. Hope that helps.

https://www.6ts.info/dave/

Then click on photos.

Edited by Karen Heath
Social source share

Last saw him at Randy's funeral...when we talked about Trams :wicked: and the now sadly disused Kingsway Subway.....Jo Wallace was in that conversation too.

Does anyone else remember him at the "Forums" at Soul Essence? Basically he held court in the deep room - sorry Downbeat Lounge - twice I think -and people went in there, asked questions and he answered them. He loved it, sitting at the front smoking away, while people asked him about this and that.

I couldn't get over his blue Doc Marten boots though!

Social source share

Does anyone else remember him at the "Forums" at Soul Essence? Basically he held court in the deep room - sorry Downbeat Lounge - twice I think -and people went in there, asked questions and he answered them. He loved it, sitting at the front smoking away, while people asked him about this and that.

I couldn't get over his blue Doc Marten boots though!

Sure do Steve,

I took Dave down to Yarmouth to do the 'Forum'.

We smoked 80 fags between us on the journey!

Remember the Classic session when good old Dave Halsall did his "Why did you leave us Dave?" speech during the question & answers.

Just F'ckin hilarious!

Social source share

Hello Sean,

The "Deep Soul Appreciation Society" makes me think of secret meetings in dimly-lit rooms, with Special Branch agents parked across the street trying to identify all the members - which wouldn't have been a very difficult task.

Dave's letters were private but one of them contained his track listing for a deep soul album he wanted us to release on Ardent in the early 1990s. Dave was often ill and I became occupied with other things so nothing happened but, with a few changes, the project became 'Deep Soul Treasures' for Ace Records in 1997 and everyone was shocked - but delighted - when it sold so well. It must have helped that every member of your society bought a copy!

Please send me an application form.

Paul Mooney

You're in, Paul.

wink.gif

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!