Disco

Steveh73

Where I bow to your superior knowledge on most things I can't agree with you there chalky, it is not a progression, mostly what is known as "modern" nowadays has a totally different make up to 60s stuff so how can it be a progression when it is totally different.

QoFxx

it's plainly obvious that it would be pointless arguing with you :ohmy::(

Edited by chalky
Social source share

• Replies 239
  • Views 13.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

but there's many on here who refer to anything not northern, i.e. after 31st December 1969 as Disco irrespective of what it actually is. And from reading this topic I still go by my earlier post of most don't actually know what Disco actually is.

No young man you don't understand, any black record recorded between 1st jan 1960 and 31st dec 1969 is soul eveything else is shit :ohmy:

Social source share

Always a pleasure to help out an old mate struggling. By the way should be coming up in a few weeks after doing Silks, is there a rate on rooms

Dave :ohmy:

:ohmy::(

Be good to see you both, not seen one and other for what seems an age!! Yeah there's a rate on rooms, the numbers in the Lifeline topic in events, just quote Andy Dyson and Lifeline, gonna book one myself I think.

Social source share

Dreaming by Loleatta Holloway, great modern soul track or disco rubbish??

Janice by Skip Mahoaney, great modern soul track or disco rubbish??

Time Will Tell by Eddie Holman, great modern soul track or disco rubbish??

So Much For Love by Moment Of Truth, great modern soul track or disco rubbish??

Social source share

All 4 are great disco records, as I assume you agree. Good examples and good points.

Will put clips of these up after my dinner party where we are going to debate the history of post 60's music influence, or indeed lack of, on the greater world.....not !

Social source share

All 4 are great disco records, as I assume you agree. Good examples and good points.

Will put clips of these up after my dinner party where we are going to debate the history of post 60's music influence, or indeed lack of, on the greater world.....not !

Indeed they are Jocko and all on a very disco label, Salsoul :ohmy:

Edited by richard
Social source share

]

Disco is a dirty word because if you compare the music and more importantly the "Disco" fans they appear as shallow and phoney compared to the emotive connection between Northernsoul and the Soulies.

I am yet to hear of any "Disco" fans being driven to tears or having to stop driving and pull over after being over whelmed by a black singer tearing their heart out?

So what disco fans are you referring to now, give us a bit more insight into this group of people you are so dismissive off, are you saying there is a separate disco scene, where and what sort of records do they play. I assume you are familiar with the French Boogie scene (nicer name than disco but just disco music still the same)

Are you actually saying that only Northern fans are overwhelmed. please, I think there is enough evidence otherwise

I am sure your posts are mildly amusing to many others, but as have said before stick to the facts, rewriting history through humour is equally dangerous.

And in case you are wondering I am a huge disco fan, so am obviously deeply hurt by your statements above. However dont think I mean the same as the majority on here when I talk about disco , in fact not sure I could totally define easily as you obviously can, can you enlighten me on what disco actually is?

Social source share

Erm, i quite like 'Rasputin' by Boney M, tis a Disco classic imo & i like the whole of the Saturday Night Fever album.

In fact i prefer them to say 'Heaven in the afternoon' & 'Ordinary Joe' & other dull Modern Soul plodders, does this make me an Unsoulful tw*t?

Simon :ohmy:

Of course not, just another person that does not particularly like soul music, preferring instead dance records of various genres I am assuming. However since you seem one of the nicest blokes on here I should feel guilty about saying that out loud. Like Pete Smith, you are at least honest in your preferences Simon and I should give you credit for that.

My gin bottle is dry, so last word on this great subject I am off for a snooze and a limoncella, not sure in which order.

Social source share

Would have to say all are rubbish and I've only heard two of them.

Actually yes, that Janice is total and utter rubbish of the worst kind.

I like Cathedrals by DC Larue, does that count, I know it's not on Salsoul but it's disco. And New York City by Miroslav Vitous.

Edited by Pete S
Social source share

Actually yes, that Janice is total and utter rubbish of the worst kind.

I like Cathedrals by DC Larue, does that count, I know it's not on Salsoul but it's disco. And New York City by Miroslav Vitous.

First time I've ever heard Loleatta Holloway, Eddie Holman, Skip Mahoney and Moment Of Truth - all soul acts, described as rubbish on a Soul Forum........

D.C. Larue and Miroslav Vituos, great records though they are, are both white acts. Wrong forum perchance?

Ian D

Social source share

Guest Glynn Jones

Here's a little help...

:ohmy:

Looks like a soul nite to me. :(

All the old farts dancing. There's even one bloke with full on sideburns. :ohmy:

Social source share

First time I've ever heard Loleatta Holloway, Eddie Holman, Skip Mahoney and Moment Of Truth - all soul acts, described as rubbish on a Soul Forum........

D.C. Larue and Miroslav Vituos, great records though they are, are both white acts. Wrong forum perchance?

Ian D

Come come Ian. Soul artists can be any colour but disco artists have to be black?

Kidding actually. People on here can't agree what makes a soul tune so they've got absolutely no chance of achieving any kind of consensus on disco :ohmy:

And just to prove the point, I'd rather hear EWF's Fantasy than Skip Mahoney's Janice any day. I can see how Mahoney would fit in at a soul night whereas EWF wouldn't, but equally I think Fantasy is a great record and Janice is crap.

Confusing innit?

Godz

Social source share

Dave as soon as its played on the Northern scene its ours and no longer disco........... :(

So Andre Gagnon's "Wow" and "Lindenburgh" by Toulouse are "ours" IB?

Jesus mate - you've got worse taste in disco than me - and I like disco! :ohmy:

Godz

Edited by Godzilla
Social source share

My logic is if you don't like some tracks it don't make the whole of the genre rubbish

As you've only heard two of them I'll wait for Jocko to load them on then you can tell me they're rubbish :ohmy:

Edited by richard
Social source share

Now this is interesting. This website has a list of disco songs from 1976. I've pasted all the ones that I remember hearing at soul nights or allnighters at the time and I have to say I'm pretty amazed! I haven't included disco tunes that I liked and bought at the time or that I just remember, only the ones I heard played out at soul venues. Maybe you could add more to the list?

I think there are a few errors in the list however, and I've commented on those I'm not sure about.

Here's the site

https://www.discosavvy.com

and here's the list - haven't even checked the years either side yet!

Alvin Cash - "Ali Shuffle"

Aquarian Dream - "East 6th Street"

Aquarian Dream - "Phoenix"

Bebu Silvetti - "Spring Rain" - reached #39 Pop in the USA in March 1977; theme song to the television game show "The Love Experts" with Bill Cullen (Didn't know that!)

Benny Troy a.k.a. Benny Mardones - "I Wanna Give You Tomorrow"

Black Soul - "Black Brothers" - electro-disco (could be Black Soul by Black Soul maybe?)

Blood Hollins - "Don't Give It Up"

Brass Construction - "Ha Cha Cha (Funktion)"

The Brothers - "Were You Ready For That" ( Are you ready For This maybe?)

Candi Staton - "Young Hearts Run Free"

Carl Davis and the Chi-Sound Orchestra - "Windy City Theme"

Claudja Barry - "Sweet Dynamite"

Cleveland Eaton - "Bama Boogie Woogie"

Cloud One - "Atmosphere Strutt"

D.C. LaRue - "Cathedrals"

Double Exposure - "My Love is Free"

Double Exposure - "Ten Percent"

Dr. Buzzard's Original Savannah Band - "Cherchez la Femme"

Dr. Buzzard's Original Savannah Band - "I'll Play the Fool"

Evelyn Thomas - "Doomsday" (!)

Family Affair - "Love Hustle"

Five Special - "The More I Get To Know You"

Gentlemen and their Lady (featuring Danny Mitchell) - "...Like Her!"

Jean Carn - "If You Wanna Go Back"

Juggy Murray Jones - "Inside America"

Larry Page Orchestra - "Erotic Soul"

Magic Disco Machine a.k.a. Motown Magic Disco Machine - "Back to Bach" (what on earth...? not Control tower then?)

Millie Jackson - "House for Sale"

Miroslav Vitous - "New York City"

The Moments - "Nine Times (Disco Version)"

The Originals - "Down to Love Town"

Rare Pleasure - "Let Me Down Easy"

The Rimshots - "Do What You Feel"

Roberta Kelly - "Trouble Maker"

Rose Royce - "Car Wash"

Tavares - "Don't Take Away the Music"

Tavares - "Heaven Must Be Missing An Angel"

The Temprees - "I Found Love on a Disco Floor"

Thelma Houston - "Don't Leave Me This Way

Tyrone Ashley - "Feet Start Moving"(!)

Vicki Sue Robinson - "Turn the Beat Around"

Walter Murphy - "A Fifth of Beethoven"

Walter Murphy - "California Strut"

We sure played a lot of disco in Northern Soul clubs back in the day :D

Godz

Social source share

My logic is if you don't like some tracks it don't make the whole of the genre rubbish

As you've only heard two of them I'll wait for Jocko to load them on then you can tell me they're rubbish :D

Sorry Richard, it goes back to my days when I was editing a magazine called Beatin Rhythm, someone would mention I record and I would say "I haven't heard it but it's rubbish", it's just a saying I've had for years.

But I don't actually need to hear them to know I won't like them, thats a fact.

Social source share

Here's the 1975 list from that site - same boundaries as last time:

5000 Volts a.k.a. Airbus - "I'm on Fire"

Andr Gagnon - "Wow"

The Armada Orchestra - "Cochise"

The Armada Orchestra - "Do Me Right"

Biddu Orchestra - "Exodus"

The Boogie Man Orchestra featuring Mel Hayes - "(Theme From) Lady, Lady, Lady (Are You Crazy for Me?)"

Brass Construction - "Changin'"

Carl Bean a.k.a. Valentino - "I Was Born This Way"

Crown Heights Affair - "Dreaming a Dream (Goes Dancing)" - reached #43 Pop in the USA

Crown Heights Affair - "Every Beat of My Heart"

Dionne Warwick - "Take It From Me"

The Duprees - "Delicious"

Ernie Bush - "Breakaway

Esther Phillips - "What a Diff'rence a Day Makes"

The Glitter Band - "Makes You Blind"

Harold Melvin and the Blue Notes - "Don't Leave Me This Way

MFSB - "Sexy"

Maxine Nightingale - "Right Back to Where We Started From"

Miami - "Kill that Roach"

Mike and Bill - "Somebody's Gotta Go (Sho Ain't Me)"

The Miracles - "Love Machine"

Moment of Truth - "Helplessly"

The O'Jays - "I Love Music"

Retta Young - "(Sending Out An) S.O.S."

South Shore Commission - "We're on the Right Track"

Tavares - "It Only Takes A Minute"

The Trammps - "Hold Back the Night"

Plenty of familar stuff there too. And this disco site omits records it classes as funk rather than disco, so no George Benson (Supership), Peoples Choice (Do it Anyway... or Jam Jam Jam), Brick (Dazz, Dusic) Sister Sledge (Love Don't You Go Through No Changes...) Kool and the Gang (Open Sesame)all of which got spins in soul clubs. Not saying all these are great records but if you were about at the time it makes you think doesn't it?

Godz

Social source share

Alvin Cash - "Ali Shuffle"

Bebu Silvetti - "Spring Rain" - reached #39 Pop in the USA in March 1977; theme song to the television game show "The Love Experts" with Bill Cullen (Didn't know that!)

Brass Construction - "Ha Cha Cha (Funktion)"

The Brothers - "Were You Ready For That" ( Are you ready For This maybe?)

Candi Staton - "Young Hearts Run Free"

Cloud One - "Atmosphere Strutt"

D.C. LaRue - "Cathedrals"

Evelyn Thomas - "Doomsday" (!)

Gentlemen and their Lady (featuring Danny Mitchell) - "...Like Her!"

Jean Carn - "If You Wanna Go Back"

Millie Jackson - "House for Sale"

The Moments - "Nine Times

The Originals - "Down to Love Town"

Rare Pleasure - "Let Me Down Easy"

The Rimshots - "Do What You Feel"

Roberta Kelly - "Trouble Maker"

Rose Royce - "Car Wash"

Tavares - "Don't Take Away the Music"

Tavares - "Heaven Must Be Missing An Angel"

The Temprees - "I Found Love on a Disco Floor"

Thelma Houston - "Don't Leave Me This Way

Tyrone Ashley - "Feet Start Moving"(!)

Vicki Sue Robinson - "Turn the Beat Around"

I bought every one of those at the time. I think I prefer disco to modern soul.

Social source share

I bought every one of those at the time. I think I prefer disco to modern soul.

No backing out of that statement now :D

However, do you know Pete, as I was copying the list I was thinking about some of the 70s tunes you've admitted liking and I came to exactly the same conclusion. Honestly.

And I think I do too :D

Godz

Edited by Godzilla
Social source share

but there's many on here who refer to anything not northern, i.e. after 31st December 1969 as Disco irrespective of what it actually is. And from reading this topic I still go by my earlier post of most don't actually know what Disco actually is.

Was'nt so called "Disco" just played in "Discotheques" :D

Social source share

First discotheques where in Germany/France in the 4ts or something?,anybody got a old playlist :D

Edited by ken
Social source share

Yes.

Like thousands of so called 'Northern Soul' records were.

From the stuff I've read on here this afternoon it seems very few understand the subject at all (or my previous thread).

But you've summed it up with your question.

Northern Soul, more often than not, IS Disco music

i.e. music made to dance to... in Disco's - back in the 60's & 70's.

Sean

Social source share

Most people on here would think that 'Pure Disco'... without Soul... is 'crud'.

But many would also recognise that there are some extremely Soulful records that were made to dance to... in a DISCO!

So Pure Disco.... not so good....

Soulful Disco.... aok....

Take Chubby Checker's "At The Discotheque" and start from there.

You'll soon get the hang of it!

:D

Sean

Yes.

From the stuff I've read on here this afternoon it seems very few understand the subject at all (or my previous thread).

But you've summed it up with your question.

Northern Soul, more often than not, IS Disco music

i.e. music made to dance to... in Disco's - back in the 60's & 70's.

Sean

Well that might be because you're using the word disco to suit your own agenda Sean. (in the nicest possible way of course :D )

Sure, Disco is a derivation of the word Discotheque but that's not what most people think when they hear it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disco -

gives a good definition and talks about it's roots being in 60s soul. There's a difference between roots and the end product though, surely.

Disco is a genre in it's own right, It can be soulful, jazzy, latin, electro, reggae, pop, funky, afro even new wave - think Heart of Glass and Pop Muzik, two great disco songs. The soul scene adopted - and maybe continues to adopt - disco records that were/are right for the scene at the time and there's nothing wrong with that.

Godz

Edited by Godzilla
Social source share

No backing out of that statement now :D

However, do you know Pete, as I was copying the list I was thinking about some of the 70s tunes you've admitted liking and I came to exactly the same conclusion. Honestly.

And I think I do too :D

Godz

Same must apply to me then too as i liked & bought the majority of tunes that Godz has mentioned.

But to be honest i don't look on that as the 'Disco' era ! There was still a, not really sure how to put it, pop-soul essence to them. A sing 'a' long /hum 'a' long hook to them , which the majority of the tunes from the period that i see as disco, 1977 to 1980 ish, lacked ! From 77 onwards it moved towards the tunes where only the beat mattered & not the substance of the song.

To me the soulfulness went ! I know,as always, there are exceptions to the rule but that's how i see it.

Social source share

Great thread! Nothing like a bit of creative winding-up is there LOL..........

And, for those who are interested, coming up in 3 weeks time is the 'Vintage Grooves' Disco double CD......

Melvin, Harold & The Blue Notes The Love I Lost Pts 1 & 2

Ripple The Beat Goes On And On

Aquarian Dream Phoenix

McCoo, Marilyn & Billy Davis Jnr Shine On Silver Moon

Celi Bee & The Buzzy Bunch One Love

Vickie Sue Robinson Turn The Beat Around

Musique In The Bush

Inner Life I'm Caught Up (In A One Night Love Affair)

First Choice Doctor Love

Black Ivory Mainline

Dr Buzzard's Original Savannah Band Whispering/Cherchez La Femme

Oddysey Native New Yorker

Sylvester Over And Over

Cloud One Atmosphere Strut

Sine Just Let Me Do My Thing

Johnson, Bruce Pipeline

Clyde Alexander Gotta Get Your Love

Johnson, Samuel Johnathan You

Connors, Norman Once I've Been There

GQ Disco Nights (Rock Freak)

Best,

Ian D

Social source share

Why ????

Mainly 'cos the forum's called Soul Source, hence maybe not the right forum for a white New York disco singer called D.C. Larue and a russian jazz musician called Miroslav Vituos.

Whereas the Salsoul stuff I can totally see on Soul Source because there's little disputing that the artists are actually soulful aren't they?

But, hey, I'm easy going.......

I really don't mind. I personaly don't think Disco Tex and his Sexolettes get enough props LOL......

Ian D

Social source share

Mainly 'cos the forum's called Soul Source, hence maybe not the right forum for a white New York disco singer called D.C. Larue and a russian jazz musician called Miroslav Vituos.

Whereas the Salsoul stuff I can totally see on Soul Source because there's little disputing that the artists are actually soulful aren't they?

I really don't mind. I personaly don't think Disco Tex and his Sexolettes get enough props LOL......

Ian D

I cant stand D C Larue and i aint getting in a white v black thing exept there is many white soul artists,and some of the Salsoul stuff isnt as soulfull as,lets say for arguements sake Elvis Presley.

Edited by ken
Social source share

Ian D

Infact your explanation of what soulfull means would be nice.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert