Please Moderator

"Let Me Be Your Boy" has more of a Latin tango feel to the rhythm IMO.

So go past Jamaica a couple hundred miles and turn left :ohmy:

Oh, and sorry for being a pedantic git but ska and bluebeat are one and the same. Bluebeat is just a "nickname" given to ska at the time by the UK music press as a good percentage of the tunes were on the Bluebeat label.

There ARE dedicated forums to ska and reggae already. I run one of the biggest and best.

Gordy

Yeah, a bit like 'Motown'...just a label like 'Blue Beat' but everything that sounds like that stuff named as that!

What's the forum address mate? I'd like to join, do you know a fanzine from a few years back called 'Time Longer Than Rope'? I used to write that. Used to base it on original ska/reggae releases from 1962-1973(ish).

John

Social source share

• Replies 108
  • Views 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Hi Ady, been going to the wheel from 1968 with a few mates from Carlisle, Dickie Watt was one of them, they were definitey played at the Wheel and another couple but can't remember who or title, maybe very early, but was known as Bluebeat.

Willie

Hi Willie.....'Carolina' by The Folks Brothers ring any bells? this was a very popular tune played down the allnighters then along with the aforementioned 'Phoenix City'.....both were an integral part of the Wheel sound at the time, mid 60s, and I can remember how good they sounded to me in the context of the allnighter then.....nostalgia eh? as I was typing this it took me right back...crikey, could even imagine hearing 'Harlem Shuffle' after 'Carolina'...... :D .......sad or what? :D ............ biggrin.gif

Social source share

If it wasn't for my love of Jamaican music I'd never have become a Northern Soul lover at all.

There was a tune called "Queen Majesty" written by a C.Mayfield. As a young 20 something reggae lover I was intrigued as I'd never heard of Curtis Mayfield. I bought a double CD of his on MCA called the Anthology 1961-77, asked for similar stuff - the bloke in the record shop said "you wanna try Major Lance or Gene Chandler mate" and the rest is history.

Loads of people love soul as well as reggae, the Jamaicans love their soul - hence all the covers of soul tunes.

Gordy

Social source share

As a 'scooterist' in my youth, it was listening to scootery type sounds Including Ska Trojan Rocksteady whatever you want to call it, that got me into northern soul. Happy Days when soulies and scooterists could dance on the same dancefloor. Am throwing a charity do in January next year with two rooms, one for soulies and one for 'SCOOTERISTS'. Playing everything from ska, mod, trojan, Manchester anthems, rockabilly, etc in scootery room and 100 per cent northern in t'other room. Djs to include Carl and Maria Willingham, Stu Cheetham, Mike Warburton, Ronnie Hanley and others tba. If soul AND 'scootery' music be your thing look out for our advertising on here soon. If any Djs wish to contribute please pm me and I'll give you full details of event. On from2pm till midnight.

regards Deb

Social source share

Ska and Rocksteady etc. might have not have featured at any all-nighters in the past, (except in the early 60s) but its links with The Northern Soul Scene are there through the fans! IMO

Loads of Skins, Mods, Scooterists and Soulfans I know love Jamaican stuff as well as "Northern".

To have a "Soulful Jamaican" room here on "Soul source" is great, IMO and I think many open minded "Soul fans" will enjoy "Soulful Jamaica" as it is a bit different?

I saw the reaction last March at Prestatyn when we had an hour of Skinhead classics in the Queen Vic. Everyone I saw loved it!

Like Ady C has mentioned, It is fenced off in its own area! If you don't like it, don't go in there!

I personally think the Jamaican threads are different, worthwhile, and very Soulful!

And I would love to hear more played out and about!

Social source share

Guest Pete Griffin

Thats why im a Mod you see :lol: i dont want to be like everybody else biggrin.gif

Ok dont laugh, northern soul

Tony colton - i stand accused (White uk)

Betty O Brian - shell be gone (N Soul, Country, Popcorn)

Ketty Lester (N Soul, Country)

Barbara Dane - Im on my way ( N Soul, Jazz)

Bobby Valentin - use it befor you loose it( N Soul, Latin)

Ian Lavine (?????????????????????????) :lol:

I could go on

All i can say is thank god for fashion (cult ect, Mods. Rude Boys, Suedeheads Skinheads, Soul boys.

If it wasnt for the Mod Scene, and listening to what the djs were discovering and playing, i dont think i would have been into the music. It makes me wonder how did other people get into the soul scene.

For me it was

Mod (school days)

specials, madness selector. Then original ska, rock steady. Then Sixties rnb and blue eyed soul and latin and soul music.

Its all about The sixties sound for me. Most Artists and Bands in the early sixties ( Jamaica , Usa and Great Britian) were all doing rnb ect, until they found there style and sound.

The Jamaicans were playing soul in there own way just like the blue eyed singers did.

Soul comes from all of the obove, but in there on style. well except for one :wub:

Pete

Ps as for modern :thumbsup:

lol

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert