Frankie 'loveman' Crocker

macca

I think this track is on most people's fave 70's list, even recalcitrant 60's stalwarts might own up to liking it. I'm just wondering if the 'Loveman' ever knew about his 75/76 Turbo Records monster in the UK. Frankie, by all accounts, was a mega-star on the US scene. Trawling through Internet as you do, I came upon this bio of him. Sounds like really wild character. Read on:

Frankie "Hollywood" Crocker (December 18, 1937, Buffalo, New York - October 21, 2000, North Miami Beach, Florida) was a famous New York radio DJ. (Coined "Hollywood" for his keen sense of showmanship and self-marketing tactics.) According to popeducation.org, Frankie began his career in Buffalo, then moved to Soul station WWRL New York before being hired by top-40 WMCA in 1969. He later worked for WBLS-FM as program director, taking that station to the top of the ratings during the late 1970's. He sometimes called himself the "Chief Rocker," and he was as well known for his boastful on-air patter as for his off-air flamboyance. When Studio 54 was at the height of its popularity, Crocker rode in through the front entrance on a white stallion. In the studio, before he left for the day, Crocker would light a candle and invite female listeners to enjoy a candlelight bath with him. Crocker was once linked to actress Jayne Kennedy after she divorced first husband Leon Issac Kennedy. At his peak, Crocker was the most famous black DJ in the world and the first to command and receive a six figure annual salary. His popularity was so immense, he worked in NY six months and worked the remaining six months in Los Angeles for a short time. Crocker died of pancreatic cancer in 2000.

post-122-1192114875_thumb.jpg

Social source share

• Replies 33
  • Views 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Used to have 'Funky Eight Corners" Lonnie Youngblood on either Turbo or All Platinum (Can't remember which)

I used to think ''Ton Of Dynamite'' 'used' (sampled) the sax from this...............dunno if I was right and I don't own the record now to check, but I'm pretty sure the rhythm section was very similar too.

Could it be Frankie Crockers record was one of the first hip hop sample thingamagigs ?

Cheers Paul

Edited by soul shrews
Social source share

Used to have 'Funky Four Corners" Lonnie Youngblood on either Turbo or All Platinum (Can't remember which)

I used to think ''Ton Of Dynamite'' 'used' (sampled) the sax from this...............dunno if I was right and I don't own the record now to check, but I'm pretty sure the rhythm section was very similar too.

Could it be Frankie Crockers record was one of the first hip hop sample thingamagigs ?

Cheers Paul

Absolutely it was - a straight lift off of Willie & Mighty Magnificents old tune, beefed up and re-recorded - but unmistakably within the "4 Corners" of the original

Social source share

Currently double CD from these guys who are re-releasing lots of the All Platinum stuff, not earth shaking in music but interesting to hear the jingles etc, dont think its an original show but worth the tenner for any of those who dont mind listening at home to the silver platters! Very influential man Mr Crocker. And re the lifting of other records assume groups would have allowed him anything in case of exposure on his show.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Outta-Sight-Soul-E...0622&sr=8-1

Social source share

So is Wille & The Mighty Mag's the backing band on TOD

I always assumed Dynamite was just a re-edit (sped up somewhat) of funky 8 corners. It would explain the woolly sound on both recordings anyway.

As an aside I should say that it was tunes like the Willie & mighty Magnificents track that made me aware of 60s funk - as opposed to Jazz funk, the disco type funk tracks played on the Northern scene and the James Brown, Parliaments etc of this world* - many years ago and opened up a whole new area of listening and collecting for me.

*Still dig all those other types mind you :wink:

Godz

Social source share

Turbo, Stang, Platinum are all a bit iffy for the year, Linda Jones and The Whatnauts rough as foulk and mono as well, all sound like they were recorded in a 2 been tin's with the string.

As for TOD the recording is a bit wooley or warm, then they guy who was clicking his fingers to the beat must have blisters by now.

Edited by Prophonics 2026
Social source share

I always assumed Dynamite was just a re-edit (sped up somewhat) of funky 8 corners. It would explain the woolly sound on both recordings anyway.

Godz

That's right, Ton of Dynamite and Funky Eight use the exact same backing track, one is not a lift off or different version of the other . But you're right Godz, All Platinum fiddled about with the speed of the backing track on Dynamite !!!

Social source share

Guest Trevski

laugh.gif Some people do say that about me :D

It DID start life as the Funky 4 Corners (a dance), then became the Funky 8 Corners and I think I have one called "Funky 16 corners" somewhere as well.....

There was a whole "Corners' thing going on at that time. Even Belita Woods "Magic corner" is probably a part of the 'corner' craze.

Social source share

There was a whole "Corners' thing going on at that time. Even Belita Woods "Magic corner" is probably a part of the 'corner' craze.

I think it was a dance where four of you stand in corners (i.e. to make a square type shape) and move in and out both together and in turn (a bit like the "hokey kokey" then laugh.gif ). I would be willing to demonstrate this dance at a venue, but need at least three willing victims to show it to full effect. :lol:

Some venues I've been to recently wouldn't be able to put on the "Funky 16 Corners " unless the DJs and bar staff joined in :D

Social source share

That's right, Ton of Dynamite and Funky Eight use the exact same backing track, one is not a lift off or different version of the other . But you're right Godz, All Platinum fiddled about with the speed of the backing track on Dynamite !!!

That's not correct, they are definitely different recordings. Compare the drum intro on "Funky Eight Corners" and "Ton Of Dynamite", they are different. The guitar part during the "chorus" is also different, it's slightly disharmonic on "Funky Eight Corners" but that's not the case on "Ton Of Dynamite". The same goes for the drums on the chorus - straight on "TOD" and syncopated on "FEC".

Edited by Sebastian
Social source share

Not sure I agree with that. It's the same tune but Ton Of Dynamite is ten times more powerful.

Social source share

Slowed down, it also has a bit of the 'Am I the same girl' feel.

In any case back to topic. Sounds like FLC - RIP had a great life. What did they mean 'Do it' Frankie 'Do it' ???? I bet if an autobiography/memoirs was issued it would be a good read.

Glad he knew of his fame, as its the best record ever to dance fast to, and I can still manage the first 20 seconds even now before the legs 'lock up'.

I remember when this was played to a full sprung dancefloor and thinking I was on a cake walk.

I imagine Cleethorpes pier sunk 2" every time it got played.

Ed

Social source share

seem to remember that one of the "corners" things 16 or 4 is the other side of something rare and in demand, or that its by the same bloke if you knowq what i mean :P , and years ago when TOD was massive some folks believed that the hook line was from tighten up and i cant stop dancing by archie bell, :D still got TOD on emi somewhere, great memories of when i could stomp to this all the way through without a break :thumbup:

Social source share

Are you thinking of this Inst?,

Young Holt Unltd-Soulful Strut (Aka "am i the same girl")-Brunswick................

Dave f..........

I am getting confused now - is Pro2026 saying there's a version of Funky Corners on Chess, or an instrumental of Am I the same girl. :rolleyes:

Soulful Strut used to always get played at the discos in Kent in the 70's, and there are several other versions of it about as well.

Social source share

I remember listening to Frankie 'Hollywood' Crocker when he was on WBLS New York. Try to dig out a copy of the movie

Five on the Black hand Side where Frankie features as the dude 'Rolls Royce' I think he may have had a hand in the movie's

strap-line "You've been coffy-tized, blacula-rized and super-flied - but now you're gonna be glorified, unified and filled-with-pride...

when you see "Five on the Black Hand Side"

Suspect Steve G's references to payola may also explain why Turbo were so keen on his services. I've always seen 'Ton of Dynamite' as

a 'vanity soul' record, recorded to gain favour with Frankie who has a massive influence as radio DJ. A bit like Edwin Starr's

re-recorded version of S.O.S as Scotts on Swingers in dedication to Detroit DJ Scott Regan

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert