Unknown Gary, In Funk And Basement Deep Soul 45

Sharlow45

Hi everybody,

I was fortunate enough to spend some time with someone this past weekend who recently came across two copies of a completely unknown Gary, IN 45 from the early 70s by a band called the Everyday People. I am more excited about this record than anything I have heard in quite a while. To me, it represents the kind of sound I always expected to hear out of Gary, but never found on Gary records.

This record was recorded at Bud Pressner's studios and shows a label address not too far down the street from Gordon Keith's Gary address listed on the Enchanting Enchanters 45. It's the only record from Pressner's studios that I have heard that sounds like this.

The A-side of this record is a basement soul ballad called "Life" that laments the struggles of everyday life over this beautiful harmony and including this flute passage that totally fucks me up in the end. To me, the only Gary record besides maybe Trouble that puts the Gary struggle onto wax properly.

The B-side is a raw funk rendition of "Slipping Into Darkness." By far the most raw funk cut to come out of Gary, and the type of sound that I would have expected from Gary. Full on with vocal harmony and Cohran-ish horns, interesting arrangement, and that raw edge.

So, here's the deal. My friend has two copies of this record, and I begged him to sell me one. He cut a deal with me saying that if I shopped the record around on the various websites and could get a decent price for the record, he would sell me the other copy. Attached below is a scan and links to full sound clips of both sides of the actual record for sale. This record is unfortunately in rough condition. The "Slipping" side plays G-. Starts out really rough but improves as it goes. The "Life" side plays G+.

If you are interested, please make an offer by PMing me or emailing scottdharlow@yahoo.com. I'll bring the best offer to my friend and see if a deal can be worked out.

LIFE

SLIPPING INTO DARKNESS

EverydayPeople_Slipping.jpg

Thanks!

Scott

Social source share

• Replies 8
  • Views 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Hi everybody,

I was fortunate enough to spend some time with someone this past weekend who recently came across two copies of a completely unknown Gary, IN 45 from the early 70s by a band called the Everyday People. I am more excited about this record than anything I have heard in quite a while. To me, it represents the kind of sound I always expected to hear out of Gary, but never found on Gary records.

This record was recorded at Bud Pressner's studios and shows a label address not too far down the street from Gordon Keith's Gary address listed on the Enchanting Enchanters 45. It's the only record from Pressner's studios that I have heard that sounds like this.

The A-side of this record is a basement soul ballad called "Life" that laments the struggles of everyday life over this beautiful harmony and including this flute passage that totally fucks me up in the end. To me, the only Gary record besides maybe Trouble that puts the Gary struggle onto wax properly.

The B-side is a raw funk rendition of "Slipping Into Darkness." By far the most raw funk cut to come out of Gary, and the type of sound that I would have expected from Gary. Full on with vocal harmony and Cohran-ish horns, interesting arrangement, and that raw edge.

So, here's the deal. My friend has two copies of this record, and I begged him to sell me one. He cut a deal with me saying that if I shopped the record around on the various websites and could get a decent price for the record, he would sell me the other copy. Attached below is a scan and links to full sound clips of both sides of the actual record for sale. This record is unfortunately in rough condition. The "Slipping" side plays G-. Starts out really rough but improves as it goes. The "Life" side plays G+.

If you are interested, please make an offer by PMing me or emailing scottdharlow@yahoo.com. I'll bring the best offer to my friend and see if a deal can be worked out.

LIFE

SLIPPING INTO DARKNESS

EverydayPeople_Slipping.jpg

Thanks!

Scott

Great find Scott.

Have you tried zapping the record with an antistatic gun before cleaning it? Static 'glues' dust and muck in the grooves. That might bring it up a bit.

Social source share

Scott

Beautiful tune, I'm a sucker for nice harmonies,such a shame about the quality. How does the other copy play?

gary

Hi Gary,

I hear you on both points. It's such a simple and beautiful song that really strikes me. And the condition is a shame. The other copy plays around VG. But, of course, I am hoping to be able to get that one for myself.

Social source share

Hi Gary,

I hear you on both points. It's such a simple and beautiful song that really strikes me. And the condition is a shame. The other copy plays around VG. But, of course, I am hoping to be able to get that one for myself.

Perhaps a good clean might help then stick it over to mp3 and try and wash some of the noise out with a filter. You can get some good results these days. Good luck with it, top tunes.

gary :thumbsup:

Social source share

This is the Sales Forum
Use the site PM (personal message) system for any trading discussion

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert