Modern Rooms

Guest outonthefloor

why is it that all the hardcore modern fans call the 60s only crowd 'narrow-minded'?

if this is the case, why don't you play 60s in the modern rooms?

i much prefer 60s soul if asked but can like other bits of everything now and again.

i agree with pete smith. there is a big difference that people just cant get on with.

shane

Yes, there is a big difference,but if you dont get it, you dont get it I suppose, plus I just dont get the same feeling when listening to a modern type tune, but as pete sez, we are doing this > :ohmy: by trying to explain what a 60s tune has that most 70s tunes dont

Bazza

Social source share

• Replies 233
  • Views 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Can you just read Matt Males' reply above as to why people don't like certain types of soul music because I really can't be arsed to type out the same thing again and again. Why is it so important for people like yourself to try to educate us lesser mortals who prefer 60's soul. Why is it so important to you that I listen to something I can't stand. Would you listen to some of my hardcore punk tracks if I asked you to? Or jungle/drum&bass? I wouldn't ask you to because I'm sure you can make up your own mind about what you like and what you don't like - same as I can. I'm as open minded about music as anyone on here, I've got a vast collection of cd's, over 2000 of them, but they cover all kinds of different music, so you can't say I am not open minded about music. I don't, however, have any modern soul, because at the end of the day, it's sh*t.

its not important to me to make anyone listen to anything they dont want to, its their choice at the end of the day, we all basicly come from the same roots and that is 60's and we're here for the same thing, the soul music that we love.... its just the path we choose and a difference of opinion that seperate us, it would be a sh*te scene if we all like the same thing :ohmy: and for the record i stll love my 60's just as much as i love 70's/modern soul

Social source share

First off let me be clear of MY personal definition of 'Modern Soul' here, it's nothing made in the seventies, nothing made in the eighties, maybe a little bit of ninties but definitely music made in the noughties, all tempos, all styles, Indie, Southern, Soulful Garage but SOULFUL through voice or vibe.

Modern means different things to different people though Baz, obviously as you've described it it means relatively recent releases but to your average 60's northern soul afficionado it means anything that's not 60's. The word Modern isn't describing the music as being Modern, it's just a term that's stuck, like Northern. Hope that makes sense.

Social source share

Guest outonthefloor

Quite simple really........They're NOT always empty!

First off let me be clear of MY personal definition of 'Modern Soul' here, it's nothing made in the seventies, nothing made in the eighties, maybe a little bit of ninties but definitely music made in the noughties, all tempos, all styles, Indie, Southern, Soulful Garage but SOULFUL through voice or vibe. If you accept that definition and are not expecting to hear Charles Johnson or Driza Bone, then you need to visit Prestwich (two rooms Northern and Modern) where the 'Modern' room is packed EVERY month. Then if that's not enough try Stoke this weekend (Two Rooms Nothern and Modern) the Modern Room was very busy last time and will be again on Saturday. Failing that try BURY on the 19th (two rooms Northern and Modern) cause that'll be a busy Modern Room as well. If you cant make any of them then maybe you could try Fleetwood Marine Hall on the 27th (two rooms Northern and Modern) and the Modern Room will be FAR from empty there.

These gigs are just off the top of my head and demonstrate that the 'Modern' Rooms as described in the initial post are far from empty.

QED

BazM

I go to stoke regularly and venture in to the modern room at least 4 times through the nite and have never seen it packed, although you are not the first person to mention Stoke so maybe i just go in there at the wrong times!!

maybe we have a different definition of the word 'packed'

Social source share

I don't find it amazing at all.

I'm surprised that people think that just because we like 60s soul or R&B we MUST like all other sub-genres and decades. Why? To me modern soul is as different from R&B as Country is from Thrash Metal. I don't mind Modern but really don't like so called 'Deep Soul'. No one likes, or has to like, everything surely?

As to the question what is modern soul and when did it start? I don't think it can be counted chronologically, it's a different genre (or a clear sub-genre) than Northern. Whenever i go into modern soul rooms i hear music that doesn't have the tempo and rhythms of Northern (probably one of the reasons i'm not so keen on it) so i'm surprised that any DJ plays 70s and 80s Northern in a Modern room.

Matt :ohmy:

I'm replying to this post because of one particular point Matt, but I've read the later one and think you've got it right. Pete Smith for example, doesn't like modern, ( he has a wide ranging taste in music, so you can't say he's blinkered.) Why should he ? I don't agree with him that its all c**p, but as you say, its all down to individual taste.

Anyway, back to your post again. I'm asking to be burned at the stake here, but you mention deep soul. I love it. Well, some of it anyway. Well I like what I like. :lol:

Some of the "classic" deep sides leave me abso-lutely cold. Do nothing for me. At all. Its the most subjective genre of soul, imo again, there is.

(My fave deep record is actually the Carstairs :(:g: )

(Hold on,theres someone in my garden. Its probably Sean Hampsey with a burning torch and some kindling :yes: )

Social source share

why is it that all the hardcore modern fans call the 60s only crowd 'narrow-minded'?

if this is the case, why don't you play 60s in the modern rooms?

i much prefer 60s soul if asked but can like other bits of everything now and again.

i agree with pete smith. there is a big difference that people just cant get on with.

shane

Modern rooms where originally created because '60's only' fans hounded promoters to banish modern from 'The Main Room'. With few exceptions, those that like 'modern' as it is termed, would be happy to have it in one room. As in the main they like all forms of soul music. Have seen and heard many a 'Modern DJ' drop a 60's tune in his set in the 'Modern room', because he likes it and at that moment went with the mood. The crowd on every occassion, loved the inventiveness. The 'Modern crowd' has no problem with 60's soul. Only the reverse

Social source share

its not important to me to make anyone listen to anything they dont want to, its their choice at the end of the day, we all basicly come from the same roots and that is 60's and we're here for the same thing, the soul music that we love.... its just the path we choose and a difference of opinion that seperate us, it would be a sh*te scene if we all like the same thing :( and for the record i stll love my 60's just as much as i love 70's/modern soul

See I don't think it would be sh*t if we all liked the same thing, that way we could get rid of these horrible across the board nights :ohmy:

you know what I was listening to a Wigan tape this afternoon, it was from late 79 and Richards spot was teetering between the brilliant and the downright horrendous, he'd play say Cecil Washington then follow it with some disco 12" that last 10 minutes, it seemed to me a deliberate attempt to split the scene, then a Minshull spot on another tape 6 months later saw him playing the same sort of thing. No wonder Wigan was empty for 2 years.

Social source share

The 'Modern crowd' has no problem with 60's soul. Only the reverse

I would say, though we're generalising a bit here, you're pretty much right there Dave............it is my experience, in general, that fans of, let's say "older soul" are far less tolerant of new stuff than is the case for the reverse situation.

Cheers,

Mark R

Social source share

I go to stoke regularly and venture in to the modern room at least 4 times through the nite and have never seen it packed, although you are not the first person to mention Stoke so maybe i just go in there at the wrong times!!

maybe we have a different definition of the word 'packed'

We have, mines spelt 'busy' :ohmy: AND considering what you've just posted maybe we've got a different definition of the word 'empty'

Edited by BazM
Social source share

I would say, though we're generalising a bit here, you're pretty much right there Dave............it is my experience, in general, that fans of, let's say "older soul" are far less tolerant of new stuff than is the case for the reverse situation.

Cheers,

Mark R

79/80 many people were intolerant of "modern soul", hence Sam and Arthurs split. I can never reconcile the fact that the people who derided it were happy to stick with the pop crap and instrumental shit that preceded it. Clifton Hall and Stafford wern't empty at thetime, with more than one Wigan dj appearing at the venues.

Social source share

79/80 many people were intolerant of "modern soul", hence Sam and Arthurs split. I can never reconcile the fact that the people who derided it were happy to stick with the pop crap and instrumental shit that preceded it. Clifton Hall and Stafford wern't empty at thetime, with more than one Wigan dj appearing at the venues.

Steve that's nearly 30 years ago :ohmy::(:g:

Social source share

Guest Bearsy

The point is that most modern rooms at northern do's aren't really modern rooms - they're to all intents and purposes 70s rooms.

These can be popular but you have got to have the right DJs, promotion and sounds. It worked at The Plinston in The Ghetto for example.

Too many of these so called modern rooms attached to northern rooms are staffed by "carpetbaggers" - northern soul jocks with a few overplayed 70s anthems that they've won on John M's auction and who are doubling up and moonlighting between sets in the northern room. This might keep the promotors costs down, but it doesn't help make for an attarctive night for people who'd potentially go to these venues. Not many DJs can play good 60s sets and good 70s sets. Too often the so called "modern room" northern DJ is just playing the same old same old. And that ain't really modern :ohmy: No wonder people don't bother!

i would agree with that Steve, im no expert on modern but the education im being given by Simon M who in my opinion is a proper modern Dj seems to have no comparison to northern soul venues modern soul rooms, I can never understand how a dj can do both rooms as they cant be in 2 places at one time, what im trying to say is they wouldnt know whats being played in the room they aint in at the time so the chance of many repeats would be massive and likely

Social source share

I too get bored with the 'modern soulies' telling me i'm a dinosaur and i should move on, move on where? i like what i like which in the main is predominantly 60's sounding soul, classic or newly discovered, but i must take my hat off to the likes of people like Baz Maleedy and Bob Hinsley who nowadays spend most of their time in the modern rooms/events around the country and at any given time can play a 'spot' in a northern room that would blow most of todays thousands of 'northern dj's' out of the water, for imagination, quality, and actually reading the room and what is required, not to mention their ability to keep up with all things soulful, plus they never attempt to impose their preffered tastes on others, i'm sure theres more than the couple i've mentioned but classic examples of enjoy what you like! and if you don't like it, fair enough!

Pete

Social source share

Cheers,

Mark R

Quite right Mark.

Probably because most Modern fans got into it via hearing stuff played in Northern rooms over the years.

Thats how it happened for me, guys like Searling, Sam, Arthur, Sean H & Steve M playing newer releases at places like Wigan & Clifton.

Wonder how many folks have gone the other way so to speak, got onto the scene via new releases & then travelled back to 60's Soul.

Bloody hell that took some writing without using terms like progressed, moved on etc :ohmy:

Social source share

Modern rooms where originally created because '60's only' fans hounded promoters to banish modern from 'The Main Room'. With few exceptions, those that like 'modern' as it is termed, would be happy to have it in one room. As in the main they like all forms of soul music. Have seen and heard many a 'Modern DJ' drop a 60's tune in his set in the 'Modern room', because he likes it and at that moment went with the mood. The crowd on every occassion, loved the inventiveness. The 'Modern crowd' has no problem with 60's soul. Only the reverse

spot on dave ! ps max and i loved your spot at silks ...... 60's crowd would say it was a modern spot but i would just say quality the real deal ! glad your doing another spot there ... look forward to it

cheers

david

Social source share

Quite right Mark.

Probably because most Modern fans got into it via hearing stuff played in Northern rooms over the years.

Thats how it happened for me, guys like Searling, Sam, Arthur, Sean H & Steve M playing newer releases at places like Wigan & Clifton.

Wonder how many folks have gone the other way so to speak, got onto the scene via new releases & then travelled back to 60's Soul.

Bloody hell that took some writing without using terms like progressed, moved on etc :(

Well, you've lost me now, not sure what your getting at. :ohmy:

Bazza

Social source share

I'm replying to this post because of one particular point Matt, but I've read the later one and think you've got it right. Pete Smith for example, doesn't like modern, ( he has a wide ranging taste in music, so you can't say he's blinkered.) Why should he ? I don't agree with him that its all c**p, but as you say, its all down to individual taste.

Anyway, back to your post again. I'm asking to be burned at the stake here, but you mention deep soul. I love it. Well, some of it anyway. Well I like what I like. :g:

Some of the "classic" deep sides leave me abso-lutely cold. Do nothing for me. At all. Its the most subjective genre of soul, imo again, there is.

(My fave deep record is actually the Carstairs :ohmy::( )

(Hold on,theres someone in my garden. Its probably Sean Hampsey with a burning torch and some kindling :lol: )

Nah, I agree with everything you said there Steve.

I thought I'd said earlier pretty much the same... but at risk of repeating myself.... 'Personal taste is PERSONAL'.

Personally, I love all real soul music (Deep Soul First... and Dance Soul Second) and could never abide with the 'Pop' generation of stompers and lollopers that came along mid to late 70's. But I do recognise that some people love 'em, so good luck to them with all that... and I'll get on with loving my own stuff.

However, it is possible to change a persons mind, I've found... if that person IS open-minded enough (and I've countless numbers of 60's diehard mates who've sinced realised what they've been missing for so many years) but a man convinced against his will is of the same opinion still... so unless they want to hear something other than 60's FFS leave 'em to it!

The problem is the Modern Soul 'Red Herring' (and I've said it on here before) in that a lot of what masquerades as modern SOUL on the 'Northern Scene' is actually overplayed, worn out, 70's or much more recent Modern SHYT... so the 60's Soul fan (after listening to such incredible 'proper' music for so many years) is naturally going to find it hard to get into.

It's sad but true... especially as some really incredible Soul Music has been produced in the past 10-15 years... but many 'Modern' DJ's either don't know the stuff... or won't play it.

So in answer to the original question... Some Modern rooms are empty because the 60's crowd simply don't want to be involved... and the actual Modern Soul crowd are either at their own 'Modern Nights' away from the 'Northern' scene... or sat at home downloading 'the next big thing!'.

Sean

Edited by Sean Hampsey
Social source share

Well, you've lost me now, not sure what your getting at. :ohmy:

Bazza

Not a dig in any way Bazza if that's what your'e thinking.

Just that iv'e got a mate in Sheffield who was a big Soulful House fan & promoter & he seems to be travelling back in time musically.

Got into 80s Boogie type stuff & Disco & is now listening to a lot of Philly influenced 70s stuff.

Wonder if he'll take the next step & get into 60's Northern.

Social source share

Not a dig in any way Bazza if that's what your'e thinking.

Just that iv'e got a mate in Sheffield who was a big Soulful House fan & promoter & he seems to be travelling back in time musically.

Got into 80s Boogie type stuff & Disco & is now listening to a lot of Philly influenced 70s stuff.

Wonder if he'll take the next step & get into 60's Northern.

No, I did'nt think it was,I just couldnt see what your point was , I understand now :ohmy:

Bazza

Social source share

Guest Netspeaky

The biggest problem with the whole thing is the word MODERN, this was first used on the scene in the 70's to identify records that didn't have a 60's feel to them, problem then was that modern means in reality NEW, which was fine back in the 70's as MODERN meant that newer sound that was being produced, unfortunately as newer sounds evolved in the 80's 90' todate, quite rightly MODERN was attached to these styles when it was happening, were it went wrong was that MODERN should have been dropped from 70's, 80's + 90's Music as each decade passed and the music from that period should be identified by the decade it was produced in.

Looking at adverts that include MODERN rooms I guess today it's difficult if you don't know the venue what they mean by MODERN. If you are only into current new modern tunes then sounds from the 70's 80's & 90's ain't gonna be your cup of tea. Like wise if 70's and 80's is your bag, a whole night of current up-front tunes ain't gonna be your bag either.

IT'S TIME FOR PROMOTERS TO DROP THE WORD MODERN unless it's current up-front new music and identify the music properly then maybe some of the arguements will go away.

Social source share

Many good points raised by everyone from all sides of the fence.

I like a lot of different types of soul music, from all eras and in a variety of styles. I don't, however, like the idea or the actuality of multi-roomed events, so for that reason don't get out as much as I would like. I suppose the nearest thing to a way forward for me is the one-room event where deejays with a breadth of taste can play an interesting selection of soul music in all its guises in the same spot: the third way which Steve Plumb mentions in his post. This scene will be by definition smaller and will never recapture the essence of a crumbling ballroom packed to the rafters with adrenaline-crazed teenagers going mental, but unfortunately no event using soul music as its main diet will ever do this again.

Social source share

Many good points raised by everyone from all sides of the fence.

I like a lot of different types of soul music, from all eras and in a variety of styles. I don't, however, like the idea or the actuality of multi-roomed events, so for that reason don't get out as much as I would like. I suppose the nearest thing to a way forward for me is the one-room event where deejays with a breadth of taste can play an interesting selection of soul music in all its guises in the same spot: the third way which Steve Plumb mentions in his post. This scene will be by definition smaller and will never recapture the essence of a crumbling ballroom packed to the rafters with adrenaline-crazed teenagers going mental, but unfortunately no event using soul music as its main diet will ever do this again.

aye, the 'third way' is certainly NOT a get rich quick scheme that's for sure whistling.gif

Definitely smaller (but beautifully put together :thumbup: )

Promotors of 'third scene' gigs certainly don't do it for the money :D

Cheers

Steve

Social source share

I should have said that I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing that the more interesting events are smaller in scale. Lifeline and Essence weekenders are just about perfect in size. The music matters but there are more than enough people to generate a fantastic atmosphere. The big nighters and weekenders seem to me to be full of people milling around from one room to the next endlessly for hours at a time.

I think Dave is correct in saying that the multi-roomed policy was first instituted to appease a small but vociferous minority who couldn't accept the idea that soul music is a broad church.

Edited by garethx
Social source share

Guest Netspeaky

Was the first Modern sideroom Brum Locrano ?
The first MODERN room situation I can remember was the MAIN ballroom at Morecambe Pier all nighters, when I was DJing in the Oldies room you used to get a sudden surge of the 60's northern crowd come in when the main room did a hour of new(ish) upfront tune, like Luther "Never too much" Phyllis Hyman "You Know How To Love Me", plus lots of the independant labels like the MOVE releases etc. It seem to work to great effect the main room was still bouncing but the oldies room used to have a few extra pile in, so everyone was happy.

Social source share

I think Modern rooms are great and it's nice to beable to go and listen to lots of different types of soul music in one night. There are lots of people out there who like both 60ts and modern and there is nothing wrong with disco!!!!!!! I LOVE IT. thumbup.gif

Imogen Moore x

Social source share

The first MODERN room situation I can remember was the MAIN ballroom at Morecambe Pier all nighters, when I was DJing in the Oldies room you used to get a sudden surge of the 60's northern crowd come in when the main room did a hour of new(ish) upfront tune, like Luther "Never too much" Phyllis Hyman "You Know How To Love Me", plus lots of the independant labels like the MOVE releases etc. It seem to work to great effect the main room was still bouncing but the oldies room used to have a few extra pile in, so everyone was happy.

Sheffield Romeo and Juliets? Baileys whatever it was called had a Modern Room before 83 Mark. At the Sunday all dayers. I remember DJing there with Sam and Arthur. Around 82ish I think. Oldies in the main room.

Social source share

Guest mel brat

Yeah but Modern covers 4 decades these days

Not in my book it doesn't Simon. In my book MODERN = NEW / RECENT SOUL

All your shady 80's indies are oldies now wink.gif .

Derek

It depends on your definition, but to me it's similar to the use of terms like 'Modern Art' (ie. anything after David and the French Revolution in some books!), and 'Contemporary Art', ie. current artistic works. So perhaps very recent recordings should rightfully be called CONTEMPORARY Soul as opposed to just "Modern". Still, the term is already in popular usage, so it's probably too late to alter now.

Also, the expression 'Seventies Soul' can also include early 80s recordings in my book, as it's not a literal definition.

Social source share

Guest mel brat

Was the first Modern sideroom Brum Locrano ?

I don't know. The side room at the Birmingham Locarno alldayers was always the Jazz/Funk room after around 1978. Prior to that I think the alldayer alternated between the music types. In fact it was the larger NORTHERN room that was often half empty!

I know they had modern only allnighters in the upstairs room at Birmingham Locarno featuring Sam and Arthur Fenn. C.1982 I think. (I was at most of them, along with about a dozen or so other people!) There were also regular Modern Soul alldayers held in Shrewsbury around that time.

Edited by mel brat
Social source share

I don't know. The side room at the Birmingham Locarno alldayers was always the Jazz/Funk room after around 1978. Prior to that I think the alldayer alternated between the music types. In fact it was the larger NORTHERN room that was often half empty!

I know they had modern only allnighters in the upstairs room at Birmingham Locarno featuring Sam and Arthur Fenn. C.1982 I think. (I was at most of them, along with about a dozen or so other people!) There were also regular Modern Soul alldayers held in Shrewsbury around that time.

And of course Snaith. Sam and Arthur tried a couple of venues in Sheffield, Turn Ups (The old Nether Edge Hall for locals) and Take Two down Attercliffe. Somewhere else as well but can't remember where.

Social source share

And of course Snaith. Sam and Arthur tried a couple of venues in Sheffield, Turn Ups (The old Nether Edge Hall for locals) and Take Two down Attercliffe. Somewhere else as well but can't remember where.

Yeah I think first part of 1981 , well thats what Robin had on the tapes .. all mangled now angry.gif

Snaith deffo 1981 Simon.

Social source share

So perhaps very recent recordings should rightfully be called CONTEMPORARY Soul as opposed to just "Modern". Still, the term is already in popular usage, so it's probably too late to alter now.

This is exactly how I think it should be.........whilst MODERN should mean new, in the UK it's taken a different meaning altogether. Unless a similar legacy is left which twists the definition of CONTEMPORARY, I think this is exactly the right description of the music I'm into.

Cheers,

Mark R

Social source share

Sheffield Romeo and Juliets? Baileys whatever it was called had a Modern Room before 83 Mark. At the Sunday all dayers. I remember DJing there with Sam and Arthur. Around 82ish I think. Oldies in the main room.

Yeh, remember these well Steve.... probably one of the "first" two roomed events.....

Not sure I would have could called either the "main room" though as they were of about equal size, equally as full and with people moving from one to the other on a regular basis....

Although because billed as a Northern & Modern Soul alldayer probably assumed by some to be a Northern event with a Modern Room purely because Northern is mentioned first wicked.gif ....

Romeos - large open rectangular dance floor and used as the Nothern Room.....

Juliets - slightly smaller "curving" shaped dance floor with that wide mirrored pillar in the middle used as the Modern Room.....

----------------

Interestingly to me some "mates" who used to "diss" both NS and MS (without knowing what they really were) got into both through these R&J's alldayers as in it's primary use as a night club, Romeos was the charts of the day plus the usual Beetles, Mowtown, etc., whereas Juliets was "geared" more towards the Jazz Funk/Rare Groove/House/80's Soul type sounds....

These regular "Juliets" mates actually became "first timers" to Modern Soul by attending the alldayers that were advertised in the corridors of R&J's purely out of "curiosity" as to what MS was.... also eventually venturing into Romeos NS room and "getting it".... they then were regulars in the NS and MS Rooms of the times (e.g. Braford's Queens Hall) up and down the country.... in the word's of Blair, "education, education, education" :unsure: ....

Edited by vaultofsouler
Social source share

When Yate first started, back in the mid 70's under Kojak's, Inter City Soul Club. There was, what was then called 'Funk room' upstairs. This was more cuz the venue attracted people from all over the south as well as the midlands and alot of the southerners were into early disco/funk like Fatback-Nija walk/Wicky wacky, Earth, Wind and Fire-Saturday night etc. Used to be a great DJ from Bath called Smoky, that did that room.

Edited by Dave Thorley
Social source share

Guest Matt Male

Yes a very strange place was the Bali Hai at the Locarno, especially to a young 14 year old :thumbsup: All those black guys and their girlfriends with their sexy dancing...all the palm trees and tropical decor, it was a right den of inequity. Was deffo Jazz/Funk though and not 'Modern Soul'. I remember the Mod room starting on the back of the mod revival around 1979/80 but i don't think it lasted long.

Edited by Matt Male
Social source share

turn-ups knocked down a along came a housing complex for the retired. take two is still there but no longer a venue (been used as some kind of ethnic church i think?)

didn't sam and arthur do events at the old 'rebels' (haymarket - behind the old bhs)?

shane

Social source share

turn-ups knocked down a along came a housing complex for the retired. take two is still there but no longer a venue (been used as some kind of ethnic church i think?)

didn't sam and arthur do events at the old 'rebels' (haymarket - behind the old bhs)?

shane

Memorable all nighters at Rebels (I came up from the south) with Richard, Sam, Arthur, Mannion etc. Gary Rushbrooke was the "token" 60s DJ - on about 7 am as I recall.

Social source share

Guest biggray1

The biggest problem with the whole thing is the word MODERN, this was first used on the scene in the 70's to identify records that didn't have a 60's feel to them, problem then was that modern means in reality NEW, which was fine back in the 70's as MODERN meant that newer sound that was being produced, unfortunately as newer sounds evolved in the 80's 90' todate, quite rightly MODERN was attached to these styles when it was happening, were it went wrong was that MODERN should have been dropped from 70's, 80's + 90's Music as each decade passed and the music from that period should be identified by the decade it was produced in.

Looking at adverts that include MODERN rooms I guess today it's difficult if you don't know the venue what they mean by MODERN. If you are only into current new modern tunes then sounds from the 70's 80's & 90's ain't gonna be your cup of tea. Like wise if 70's and 80's is your bag, a whole night of current up-front tunes ain't gonna be your bag either.

IT'S TIME FOR PROMOTERS TO DROP THE WORD MODERN unless it's current up-front new music and identify the music properly then maybe some of the arguements will go away.

Well said that man :lol: My mate said recently after surfing through these threads that all us Soul fans have your heads up your Arse's on such trivial matters,after all its only music :D after belting him in the earhole and banishing him too Hell and reflecting on what he said, it is only music whistling.gif but its SOUL music!and i love all of it. I move that the word Modern be removed from acsociation with the word Soul :lol:

Social source share

Guest shaunmarie

You should come to Soul-essence helen , everyones there Sutty , Clarkie , Butch , Andy Dyson

only about 2 60's records played last time though

HI THIS IS MY TAKE ON IT , I LOVE SOUL MUSIC ITS MY LIFE , IF ITS A 60S OR Y2K TUNE AND IF THE HAIRS ON THE BACK OF MY NECK STAND UP IM GONE tongue.gif IF IT MEANS THE EVENTS CARRY ON , WOT MORE DO YOU WANT ?

SHAUN

Social source share

Memorable all nighters at Rebels (I came up from the south) with Richard, Sam, Arthur, Mannion etc. Gary Rushbrooke was the "token" 60s DJ - on about 7 am as I recall.

Dave Withers was on at a similar time at the second one Steve

Shane, Rebels was run by Richard S and Bernie Golding

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert