Modern Rooms

Guest outonthefloor

Guest outonthefloor

I dont want to turn this into a modern v oldies debate and you all know which side of the fence I'm on but i have a serious question about modern rooms.

On the way home from Hamburg and chattin to friends i posed the question, " Why are modern rooms always empty?"

I get about a bit ( yeah yeah ur makin up ur own jokes now aint ya!!) seriously though....I go out every weekend up and down this great country of ours and at every do i go to without exception, the modern rooms are more or less empty. In fact they are places to go if you want to sit down for a while and catch your breath if you're too hot and sweaty from dancin to all those tired old oldies that pack the floor in the main room. :thumbsup:

I'm forever being told that modern is the future and im just an old dinosaur but where are all the modern fans? All at home on a sat night on here slaggin off oldies dos it would seem!!! only jokin.... but it is a serious question.

Is it because they go to nights that lean more towards Modern in the main room? If thats the case then why have a Modern room at all? I think RnB rooms are the way to go. Just got back from Hamburg and the main (mainly oldies) room and the RnB room were banged out. There were plenty of seats and room on the floor in the modern room which was used as a breathing area from both the other rooms.

I'm sure Ill get plenty of posts on this but like i said its not an oldies v modern debate.

Any comments?..........

Social source share

• Replies 233
  • Views 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Poeple who are into modern (ie new/recent soul rather than 70's/ crossover) tend to attend modern soul nights rather than modern rooms attached to northern events.

Derek

Social source share

Guest outonthefloor

Poeple who are into modern (ie new/recent soul rather than 70's/ crossover) tend to attend modern soul nights rather than modern rooms attached to northern events.

Derek

Yeah that's what i thought. So why have em then?

Also if there is only one room then you absolutly have to play a bit of everything to please the paying public but if there are two rooms why play modern in the main room?

If they reserved the modern room for just that and didnt play it in the main room then maybe they would be better attended?

not sure...

Helen

XXXX

Social source share

Yeah that's what i thought. So why have em then?

Also if there is only one room then you absolutly have to play a bit of everything to please the paying public but if there are two rooms why play modern in the main room?

If they reserved the modern room for just that and didnt play it in the main room then maybe they would be better attended?

not sure...

Helen

XXXX

Playing modern in the northern room when there is a seperate modern room has always mystified me too.

Derek

Social source share

Guest Bearsy

Yeah but Modern covers 4 decades these days , there fore its easy to slip up in a northern room

I had to ask Moldie what date it started from when i did a spot in the modern Room at the IOW on Saturday as i didnt want to be playing anything too early and i got told the date was 1.1.1970, is that correct :thumbsup:

Social source share

I had to ask Moldie what date it started from when i did a spot in the modern Room at the IOW on Saturday as i didnt want to be playing anything too early and i got told the date was 1.1.1970, is that correct :thumbsup:

Yep first in the modern box is Paul Thompson 1970 , shame the Royal Esquires is 31/12/1969

Social source share

Yeah but Modern covers 4 decades these days

Not in my book it doesn't Simon. In my book MODERN = NEW / RECENT SOUL

All your shady 80's indies are oldies now :thumbsup: .

Derek

Edited by blackwhite
Social source share

Yeah but Modern covers 4 decades these days

Not in my book it doesn't Simon. In my book MODERN = NEW / RECENT SOUL

All your shady 80's indies are oldies now :thumbsup: .

Derek

Well actually thats what I'd call ultra modern these days ( coined by Mr Magoo ) ..Cd baby indies and traxsourse downloads

Edited by Simon M
Social source share

this subject matter, what is modern soul and all that, is a prime example of a topic that never existed before people got to chat about it on the internet. prior to that the main topic of conversations were 'this is shit' or 'it's your round'. IMHO.

Social source share

this subject matter, what is modern soul and all that, is a prime example of a topic that never existed before people got to chat about it on the internet. prior to that the main topic of conversations were 'this is shit' or 'it's your round'. IMHO.

You've got a point - it's your round

Derek

Social source share

Yep your right Paul ..letters in Blackbeat .. "That modern soul Sam plays , its shit "

Social source share

Guest outonthefloor

And your point is?????

b4 telly the main topic of conversation was, 'can you play the piano?' but that was never used as an arguement against publishing the radio times.

Do you have something to say about my question?

Social source share

Well actually thats what I'd call ultra modern these days ( coined by Mr Magoo ) ..Cd baby indies and traxsourse downloads

Maxine Woon coined that phrase a few years ago.

It's that horrific thing to the rare soul heads music that's freely available - you can even buy it in shops. Better wait for 10 years then rediscover it and pay 20x as much for it.

Derek

Social source share

Guest Bearsy

:thumbsup:

1970 - 2007 is 37 years aint it or is my maths no good, surely modern is classed under recentish releases,

so some crossover is modern is it :lol:

Social source share

And your point is?????

b4 telly the main topic of conversation was, 'can you play the piano?' but that was never used as an arguement against publishing the radio times.

What do you think Modern soul is Helen ?

Social source share

Guest outonthefloor

What do you think Modern soul is Helen ?

Waitin till i hear your set at KSC on the 20th to find out Simon xxxxx

My question was just why are modern rooms always empty?

Any ideas boys and girls?

XXXX

Social source share

Guest Bearsy

Yeah well its more modern than the 60's stuff :lol:

when was modern soul labelled modern soul

when was crossover labeled crossover

when was eighties labelled eighties

when was rare soul labelled rare soul :thumbsup:

when was northern soul labelled northern soul without any of the above a part of it all

Social source share

Guest Bearsy

XXXX

cos if you want it you go to an eighties night at your local night club and not an underground scene night where there aint any ladies looking for a one night stand

Edited by Bearsy
Social source share

XXXX

If they are run by people who know what they are doing they won't be empty - but all too often they are run by those who haven't a clue.

Derek

Social source share

Guest Bearsy

XXXX

to be fair Helen, i have been to Bisley when the modern room was very busy (tim brown was DJing) but i dont often go into them rooms as its not really my cup of tea, im an across the board person and i like and buy a tune for the tune and not the date it was released,

Simon m is always giving me stick if i buy anything released in the 60s and i get stick from you if i do the same with anything released after the 60s :thumbsup:

me im

Social source share

when was modern soul labelled modern soul

when was crossover labeled crossover

when was eighties labelled eighties

when was rare soul labelled rare soul :thumbsup:

when was northern soul labelled northern soul without any of the above a part of it all

Its all within this forum Bearsy .. Northern Soul is easy Dave Godin named in Blues and Soul .

Social source share

And your point is?????

no need to take offence, ok then since you asked LOL modern rooms tacked onto a northern room will be empty, generally. the northern scene is a noose around the neck of modern soul. nothing wrong with the northern scene in the uk, or the great 60's music often played, but as long as you try and tell people its a 'progression' from 60's, you're on a loser. its not progression, it's something else entirely. wanna get more people in? forget appealing to the 60's scene who are happy thanks with their own era of music, and try and advertise and pull people who don't care if it's on a rare acetate they bought for £800 or a fridge magnet, like other music apart from soul, such as funk, latin, house, etc. and play what is termed as modern soul be it 70's or new or inbetween. alternatively carry on having the same ludicrous arguments about it all. but above all enjoy yourself or its pointless. and make mine a babycham. IMHO.

Social source share

Guest Bearsy

If they are run by people who know what they are doing they won't be empty - but all too often they are run by those who haven't a clue.

Derek

very true indeed, its about getting it right from the off, venue - DJ line up - advertising - PA system etc etc, people will and do travel for modern soul too aswell as the northern nights

Social source share

to be fair Helen, i have been to Bisley when the modern room was very busy (tim brown was DJing) but i dont often go into them rooms as its not really my cup of tea, im an across the board person and i like and buy a tune for the tune and not the date it was released,

Simon m is always giving me stick if i buy anything released in the 60s and i get stick from you if i do the same with anything released after the 60s :thumbsup:

me im

That rubbish , Ive tipped you 60's stuff ,its that 50's rnb and rock n roll that I give u stick about hahahha

Social source share

Guest Bearsy

That rubbish , Ive tipped you 60's stuff ,its that 50's rnb and rock n roll that I give u stick about hahahha

:thumbsup: blimey it didnt take you long to bite my little sprat :lol:

Social source share

Guest outonthefloor

cos if you want it you go to an eighties night at your local night club and not an underground scene night where there aint any ladies looking for a one night stand

So why do we have them then?

Any promoters out there got an answer?

Someone asked me at a do recently, "do you think that room is too small for a modern room?" The answer's always gonna be 'no'. One dj and three people who went the wrong way looking for the toilet. How big does the room have to be!!! LOL

Social source share

Guest Bearsy

So why do we have them then? what one night stands :thumbsup: i dont :lol:

Any promoters out there got an answer?

Someone asked me at a do recently, "do you think that room is too small for a modern room?" The answer's always gonna be 'no'. One dj and three people who went the wrong way looking for the toilet. How big does the room have to be!!! LOL

got to admit that im not a big modern fan but i would listen to Simon M as i hear he has a nice collection and the swedish love him, well thats what he told me anyway :lol:

Social source share

Guest outonthefloor

no need to take offence, ok then since you asked LOL modern rooms tacked onto a northern room will be empty, generally. the northern scene is a noose around the neck of modern soul. nothing wrong with the northern scene in the uk, or the great 60's music often played, but as long as you try and tell people its a 'progression' from 60's, you're on a loser. its not progression, it's something else entirely. wanna get more people in? forget appealing to the 60's scene who are happy thanks with their own era of music, and try and advertise and pull people who don't care if it's on a rare acetate they bought for £800 or a fridge magnet, like other music apart from soul, such as funk, latin, house, etc. and play what is termed as modern soul be it 70's or new or inbetween. alternatively carry on having the same ludicrous arguments about it all. but above all enjoy yourself or its pointless. and make mine a babycham. IMHO.

I 100% agree, its not a progression it is a different style of music. I like reggae, rockabilly, punk and some contemporarry stuff my kids liste to as well as classical and just about anything else cept Disco and heavy metal but it makes just as much sense to have a thrash metal room at an oldies niter as it does to have a Modern room!

Babycham...mm good choice, then again i live in essex so ill have a brandy in mine!!!

I agree, enjoying yourself is what is all about!!!

XXXXXXXXX

Social source share

Guest Bearsy

that makes sense to me,

but would you say that the connection is many modern soulies were once part of the northern scene

Social source share

I 100% agree, its not a progression it is a different style of music. I like reggae, rockabilly, punk and some contemporarry stuff my kids liste to as well as classical and just about anything else cept Disco and heavy metal but it makes just as much sense to have a thrash metal room at an oldies niter as it does to have a Modern room!

Babycham...mm good choice, then again i live in essex so ill have a brandy in mine!!!

I agree, enjoying yourself is what is all about!!!

XXXXXXXXX

Strange taste helen I think most people like soul 60's 70's 80's to Y2k , mainly by the same artists throughout the decades .

Its just about being a soulfan , Frankie beverly , Luther , Womack , Wade o Brown etc etc

Social source share

Guest Bearsy

I had a Swedish g/f in the 90's :lol: thats what I told u ...

you told me you was huge in Sweden :lol:

but i think that had something to do with that little blond young lady cavorting in front of you :thumbsup:

Social source share

Strange taste helen I think most people like soul 60's 70's 80's to Y2k , mainly by the same artists throughout the decades .

Its just about being a soulfan , Frankie beverly , Luther , Womack , Wade o Brown etc etc

Simon,

It's amazing how many people DON'T like all periods of soul music.

Hence the endless fragmentation of the scene.

Derek

Social source share

Simon,

It's amazing how many people DON'T like all periods of soul music.

Hence the endless fragmentation of the scene.

Derek

It is amazing , and I guess some of the artists know that sad fact now .. some people are secretive about what they like or even deny it in public .........like Bearsy hahahah

Edited by Simon M
Social source share

Guest Bearsy

It is amazing , and I guess some of the artists know this sad fact now .. some people are secretive about what they like or even deny it .........like Bearsy hahahah

:thumbsup: if it rocks my boat i dont care what the date on the label is unlike you you ipod dj you :lol:

Social source share

Guest outonthefloor

Soul music was my first love and it wil be my last but i was 17 in 1977 and rebelled against the motown and soul music i was brought up on and went mad for a few years denyin my roots and hiding my soul under the bed!!! If music moves me then i like it. it's not just soul that can touch you! different times in my life have different soundtracks!!!

Im a soul girl at heart but dont agree that its all the same just through the decades.

I suppose its a personal thing.

You got me into David Ruffin tho so maybe theres hope for me yet!!!

XXXXXX

Social source share

Soul music was my first love and it wil be my last but i was 17 in 1977 and rebelled against the motown and soul music i was brought up on and went mad for a few years denyin my roots and hiding my soul under the bed!!! If music moves me then i like it. it's not just soul that can touch you! different times in my life have different soundtracks!!!

Im a soul girl at heart but dont agree that its all the same just through the decades.

I suppose its a personal thing.

You got me into David Ruffin tho so maybe theres hope for me yet!!!

XXXXXX

You should come to Soul-essence helen , everyones there Sutty , Clarkie , Butch , Andy Dyson

only about 2 60's records played last time though

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert