You Have To Wonder Why

Guest James Trouble

Guest Gavin Page

No. There'll be no mistaking it when that happens.

I'm just expressing my opinion as to how I felt JT could have handled things a little better.

I do understand the other points of view too thought. If it (someone removing a record I was playing) had happened to me before I became a christian then I would have made my feelings known, shall we say, very enthusiastically.

Phil

The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of the darkness. For he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know I am The Lord when I lay my vengeance upon you

Social source share

• Replies 285
  • Views 21.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of the darkness. For he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know I am The Lord when I lay my vengeance upon you

Whats pulp fiction got to do wiv it :thumbsup:

Bazza

Social source share

Guest madkev

and on that note Gavin its time for me to say me prayers and bid all a goodnight, its been fun me first nite on here. Seems like jt has gone to bed early with his teddies, jimjams and hot water bottle, speak soon to all Kev.

Social source share

Sounds like the Book of Ezekiel to me.

Social source share

Of course. Now what was the topic?

Phil

I think it involves toys - prams - dummy's - bootlegs - adults behaving like 5 year olds - you know the usual northern soul scene stuff :thumbsup:

Derek

Social source share

Phil

I think it involves toys - prams - dummy's - bootlegs - adults behaving like 5 year olds - you know the usual northern soul scene stuff :lol:

Derek

Like I said earlier, some things never change :thumbsup:

i'm off to bed now. I'm sure there'll be another 100 posts on this topic by the time I get up.

Phil

Social source share

More people have commented on this thread than paid their fivers to go to the Union last Saturday, which was, despite low numbers a good night I thought.

Had this thread not been posted I reckon less than a dozen people would know about the 'incident' which after all was just someone winding someone else up, rightly or wrongly, I could not give a monkeys to be honest, but thats all is was.

Mick was a little fed up at the attendance but I think he should be pretty proud of what he and the dj's who have played there (and at the nights other homes) have achieved. I hope he can maintain his enthusiasm for promoting it, think he said on the mic he might leave it to December to run the next one.

Anyway, nice one Mick.

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

Im not one for forums and ive just signed up to this today to put my side of the story across, for I am the DJ who played the record that's caused so much concern.

Firstly, I dont support the playing of boot legs but i wont criticise those that do, as now days to be a DJ in this scene you need to be extremely wealthy, who are we to means test a DJ?

I've been Djing at this particular venue on behalf of Mick H for many years, Mick wouldn't allow this if i didn't have the vinyl to do so.

Now the record in question, this was given to me by Rob, I took it in good faith that it was one of two copies both equalivent. I have known Rob for many years and have no reason to doubt his word.

As i was DJing at a Rare Soul night I obviously played this rare Soul record, I did announce what it was I was playing then was approached by James, he asked me what i was playing (probably didn't hear my introduction). I told him, so his claim that it was being played by a DJ who hadn't heard the record and didn't know anything about it are incorrect. James then asked me to remove the record as he claimed I was playing a bootleg. I refused, he asked for a second time, I refused again. He left the stage and returned very quickly with Mick H. Mick asked me to remove the record, I refused but did say to Mick that he could remove it if he wished. He signalled to James to do so, James carefully lifted the needle and I then started the next deck which was already queued up. James then went to speak to Rob, shortly returning to me and apologising for what had happened and we shook hands. Also, i would like to confirm that Rob has frequently attended this venue after retiring from Djing there.

Finally, i can understand James' frustration to find out there is another copy in existence, of which was not only lent to me for the night but given to me permanently.

Mick

I think that is pretty much what went down, thanks for posting your view point Mick, and as said on the night, sorry you got dragged into it, you didn't deserve me doing that, but I'm sure you understand my frustration at what happenned and as a DJ who doesn't play bootlegs I'm sure you wouldn't have played a copy of it had you have known. Once again appologies.

To fill in the blank, the reason I went away and returned with Mick H, the promoter, was that I wanted to make sure it was ok with the promoter that I wanted a bootleg of one of my (ex :thumbsup: )exclusives stopped.

It would be nice to have Rob's point of view instead of his brother and then we can get this topic closed...

Edited by James Trouble
Social source share

I appreciate you apologised for taking the needle off someone's record James (And if Rob did do it deliberatly to wind you up that was just as bad) but until proven otherwise you don't really know whether Rob has a legitimate copy of the acetate. As Ady said, it's just as likely for another acetate to turn up these days as it is for a vinyl copy of a really rare single.

I wouldn't make a habit of taking the needle off other people's records though because not only is it a very rude thing to do, it hasn't shown you in a good light at all, but I think think of quite a large number of DJs would would react quite violently to someone messing with their records, even if you did have Mick H there to hold your hand.

You should have shown you have some class rather than throwing your dummy out of the pram at the venue. A little story, many years ago, just after I had bought the Magnetics - I have a girl, I was booked to DJ somewhere quite local for me. The promoter who had booked me then proceded to do the spot before me and play a boot of the Magnetics. All I did was smile. It didn't make me any less of a person, or any less of a DJ just because someone else has to play a bootleg, but I never for one minute considered taking the needle off the record. Stop taking yourself too seriously and go out to enjoy yourself instead.

Dear me, DJs having tantrums, whatever next :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

I appreciate you apologised for taking the needle off someone's record James (And if Rob did do it deliberatly to wind you up that was just as bad) but until proven otherwise you don't really know whether Rob has a legitimate copy of the acetate. As Ady said, it's just as likely for another acetate to turn up these days as it is for a vinyl copy of a really rare single.

I wouldn't make a habit of taking the needle off other people's records though because not only is it a very rude thing to do, it hasn't shown you in a good light at all, but I think think of quite a large number of DJs would would react quite violently to someone messing with their records, even if you did have Mick H there to hold your hand.

You should have shown you have some class rather than throwing your dummy out of the pram at the venue. A little story, many years ago, just after I had bought the Magnetics - I have a girl, I was booked to DJ somewhere quite local for me. The promoter who had booked me then proceded to do the spot before me and play a boot of the Magnetics. All I did was smile. It didn't make me any less of a person, or any less of a DJ just because someone else has to play a bootleg, but I never for one minute considered taking the needle off the record. Stop taking yourself too seriously and go out to enjoy yourself instead.

Dear me, DJs having tantrums, whatever next :thumbsup:

With respect Dave, I think this is a little different to your Magnetics. I couldn't count the number of times in the past decade that I have been DJing seriously that a DJ has played a boot of a record I have on OG, and I don't bat an eye lid. This is a different league though. This is a boot of an exclusive being played before a DJ who owns the exclusive by a DJ who had been lead to believe that it was a legit copy and was not told that I had the original by the person who had given it to him.

And Dave, perhaps leave the little insults about "holding hands" out of it, it's quite plainly clear why I spoke to Mick, as he was the promoter, and it's his club, this thread is sensitive enough without you throwing little digs in there about a situation you did not witness.

Anyway, I'm off to bed, and as Mark said maybe there isn't an end to this, but I'd like to think if Rob can post his view point of why he's done it this whole thing can be put to bed as well.

Edited by James Trouble
Social source share

Guest andyrattigan

James, with the greatest respect , you are taking yourself - and what you think you are doing (being at the cutting edge of new discoveries on the soul scene) - far too seriously ...

cutting edge ??????????????...he's only been on the scene for five minutes, and he's pissed more people off in those five minutes than other people have in 30 years

I don't want to get caught up in Soul politics as I cause enough hassle in the Freebasing room but in defence of James Trouble as a DJ he is one of the best on the scene. I go out to dance and like a mixture of oldies and newies uptempo sounds and a bit of 7t's. Mr Trouble always hits the spot so he certainly doesn't piss me off. He is one of the more refreshing DJs on the scene.That's just the perspective of a dancer and casual collector, for what it's worth.

Social source share

Rob's Ok....

One of my trips to the Uk I was introduced to him via a mutual friend. I had just scored a handfull of RUBYs on Gold Token (dead stock!) and brought a couple along for some trade.

Rob offered me the DREAM TEAM Im not satisfied straight across for 2 RUBYs. He explained it was worth over 1000 pounds, so I did it, cause I TRUSTED HIM. :lol:

2 months later, well, we all know what happened to the DREAM TEAM...

Rob (to this day) refused to amend that deal.

Thanks Rob.

Yeah ok I'll send my unreleased LITTLE WILLIE JOHN 1968 capitol LP acetate over next so you "can make it big" :lol: even though you said it came out on CD (I've still yet to see it, BTW.)

NEVER had any trade problems w/ James.

Ever.

Real facts, folks...

Maybe you can answer to this, Rob? :thumbsup:

Social source share

Good morning Soul Sources or should I say Brothers and Sisters?....lol now the object and goal of this thread today is to reach 10,000 hits come on we can do it!

The plot thickens and the tention builds, just trying to inject some humour into this one before we all lose the will to live.....lol

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

james dont really want to get involved in all this but i can clear one thing up for u rob has had the track along time i,m sure he played it at the last ritz rarest of the rare and he gave me it on tape about 7 years ago

===========================================================================

Both myself and Kev Barrett have had tapes / cds of unreleased recordings off

Rob for well over 10 yrs and sure we,ve got the mentioned recording somewhere

one thing tho in all that time Rob has been sending Kev or myself his stuff

we have or never will copy or allow anyone else to borrow any of the stuff

Rob has sent us for our own personal use its all about trust...

Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

I hate to burst everyone's bubble but none of this happened at all . It was a genius plot by James to 'break' Willie Kendricks without all the hard work of having to schlep round venues and play it in his set. Here's what really happened - JT hatched an elaborate scheme, with Rob T, Mickoo and Mike H all in on it, posted it on SS and then gets 10,000 hits on the thread.........that's more people than JT will ever get in his lifetime knowing about his Willie K acetate - you couldn't make it up, could you (and I wish I'd thought of it first ). It's the best bit of marketing I've seen in years....James, you're a ad man's dream :thumbsup: Seriously though, I hope this gets sorted or else it could rumble on for years.....

Edited by vinylvixen
Social source share

Wow! You go away from your computer for a few days and come back to find a 6 page thread about ... err ... a guy played a record (maybe-not-a-real-one-but-possibly-a-copy-taken-from-a-legit-source) before another guy who believed he had the only copy who then spat his dummy and took the record off.

... and (shock horror) ... it might have been done deliberately !!!

OH

MY

GOD!

I'll never leave my computer again

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

I hate to burst everyone's bubble but none of this happened at all . It was a genius plot by James to 'break' Willie Kendricks without all the hard work of having to schlep round venues and play it in his set. Here's what really happened - JT hatched an elaborate scheme, with Rob T, Mickoo and Mike H all in on it, posted it on SS and then gets 10,000 hits on the thread.........that's more people than JT will ever get in his lifetime knowing about his Willie K acetate - you couldn't make it up, could you (and I wish I'd thought of it first ). It's the best bit of marketing I've seen in years....James, you're a ad man's dream :thumbsup: Seriously though, I hope this gets sorted or else it could rumble on for years.....

Since Jo has figured out part of the reason I started the thread (that couldn't possibly have crossed my mind :thumbsup: ) I'll close it as it seems to be going around in circles and bit tit for tat niggling arguements now.

I'll reopen it if anyone wants to add anything that hasn't been said already + PMs me or one of the mods...

Social source share