You Have To Wonder Why

Guest James Trouble

Guest Bearsy

I always thought Moggy was your only, err I mean best, mate Bearsy.

im starting to go off everybody all of a sudden Steve :lol:

at least they left James alone for a while laugh.gif

Social source share

• Replies 285
  • Views 21.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

I think what seems to be pissing people off is that he has brilliant taste in music, is a top class DJ, and is youthful enough to dance through the whole of an umtempo stomper without having to lie down afterwards - :lol: - Jealousy is just silly - the scene is too small! and too old :lol:

no donna, what seems to be pissing people off is his arrogant attitude,

I think your statement about JT is arrogant actually..........shall we all kiss & make up, after all its only a record ohmy.giflaugh.gif ........at the risk of repeating myself at least the man has got some passion for the NSC not like some of the boring f**kers just going thru the motions...............I remember all the fuss about Irish Greg when Ady instated him as a resident at the 100 Club..............sure this is just a similar thing & will blow over soon.

Russ

Social source share

Guest madkev

I would just like to take this opportunity to reply to jtroubles whinge about Rob Thomas and all the fuss about a poxy 6ts record, who cares what or who had it first nobody is really interested, all you seem to be doing is give Rob a character assasination, your saying you have got the real deal, who knows if this is true or not? But what does concern me (really concerned) Is you slating my brother and if you dont stop this continual slatting, then you and I will be having words when we meet. If you think I am bluffing ask the person who you bought th record off, and he'll tell you if this is a bluff or not, and its certainly not our Robert who you have to worry about its me!! I look forward to meeting you sometime in the not to distant future. PS might even have a trip down to the smoke to see you. Regards Kev Thomas.

Social source share

Hello,

It's reassuring to see that I'm not the only member who feels some DJs have a sense of self-importance which overshadows the music and the scene.

I was shot down in flames when I dared to criticise James Trouble for what I consider to be selfish views and arrogant comments about other DJs and their punters.

James is known to seek publicity and court controversy; he shouldn't need his friends to defend him by describing criticism as personal attacks.

Not long ago I was criticised for asking people to stop making personal attacks on Ian Levine who wasn't here to defend himself. It seems as if it's okay to throw insults at Ian Levine yet we shouldn't have the nerve to question or criticise James Trouble.

I see double standards here so it's best if I make an exit rather than risk causing any further offence. I'm far more interested in soul music than scene politics and DJ worship.

Paul Mooney

Social source share

I think your statement about JT is arrogant actually..........shall we all kiss & make up, after all its only a record :lol:laugh.gif ........at the risk of repeating myself at least the man has got some passion for the NSC not like some of the boring f**kers just going thru the motions...............I remember all the fuss about Irish Greg when Ady instated him as a resident at the 100 Club..............sure this is just a similar thing & will blow over soon.

Russ

Ye`but wheres Irish Greg now?.

Social source share

BRAVO! Sean

Wow, I can't believe just how much debate this has caused and just how wildly off topic it has gone! I've just sat down and read right through and Sean has made THE most pertinent point of all.

I am amazed that as a non-DJing (yes it is a word :P ) Northern Soul fan it appears that we (the dancers) are surplus to requirements for what is rapidly appearing to be some major "muscle flexing vanity show" for a bunch of DJs - come on guys just get your willy's and wallets out, you can then see who's is the biggest and who has the most money (so you can buy that ultra rare record) - then you'll be the winner. The rest of us can then get on and listen to that wonderful music we call "Northern" - that's the common bond that we all share.

By the way - the reason why some records are SO rare and SO hard to track down is because they were utter crap and they were either unreleased or binned - rare DOES NOT equal quality. It's amazing but some of the most over player and readily available records are just that because they are bloody good and people want to hear them!

Yes, it's nice to hear new undiscovered stuff and obviously collectors will cause the price to rise - but come on it's about the MUSIC not the bloody plastic it's available on!

It's a case of the emperor's new clothes! ph34r.gif

Having said that, my opinion will no doubt be invalid because:

1. I am not a DJ

2. I never went to Wigan (I'm too young - bless me)

3. I don't collect Vinyl

4. I don't give a sh*t if it's original or a bootleg

By the way, I went to a NS night last year and the DJ playing at the time played a boot of Frank Wilson - did the dance floor clear? NO. Did it cause a riot? NO. Did the space time continuum implode? NO. Did the floor actually get busier? YES!!! Amazing isn't it? :D

I guess I'll be banned from SS and refused entry to all Soul Nights from now on for being a heretic? :lol:

Yeah, you should be pal :lol:laugh.giflaugh.gif this is all part of the scene & has been since the word go..............we wouldnt have a scene if collectors & DJ's stopped the quest for new discoveries & DJ's stopped being passionate about them..............the business between James & Rob has gone on in varing forms between DJ's for years................these day's tho everyone knows about it cos we discuss it on a World Wide Forum.

If you enjoy ya self mate............then good on ya..........but if everyone had your opinion the NSC wouldnt exist.

Russ

Social source share

Guest Brett F

I've heard enough of this nonsense, the only way forward is for one of the main promoters, Waterman, McCabe, Roberts etc to get a hold of this situation .i.e., let's implement a huge industrial Chinese strength steel skip, then throw via a heavily "white horse oil greased surface" TROUBLE AND THOMAS, I'd introduce some corrupt and vile money laundering scheme from South East Asia, purely for the heavy gambling expected, I'd also introduce a huge Gijon Cockerel bread by UNGODLY means, this would just add an element of surprise to the events, then when the warring parties had nothing left to offer I'd send in the honourable Ady Croadsell, he would be like Caesar and have final judgement over this sorry and sad affair.........................

Brett Franklin............... :lol:

Social source share

I would just like to take this opportunity to reply to jtroubles whinge about Rob Thomas and all the fuss about a poxy 6ts record, who cares what or who had it first nobody is really interested, all you seem to be doing is give Rob a character assasination, your saying you have got the real deal, who knows if this is true or not? But what does concern me (really concerned) Is you slating my brother and if you dont stop this continual slatting, then you and I will be having words when we meet. If you think I am bluffing ask the person who you bought th record off, and he'll tell you if this is a bluff or not, and its certainly not our Robert who you have to worry about its me!! I look forward to meeting you sometime in the not to distant future. PS might even have a trip down to the smoke to see you. Regards Kev Thomas.

Ay up Kev...................hope ya well, what you been up to...........been awhile. Both Rob & James are good people, its all a storm in a teacup & Im sure all concerned will be laughing about it soon. Its only a record after all.

Russ

Social source share

Hello,

It's reassuring to see that I'm not the only member who feels some DJs have a sense of self-importance which overshadows the music and the scene.

I was shot down in flames when I dared to criticise James Trouble for what I consider to be selfish views and arrogant comments about other DJs and their punters.

James is known to seek publicity and court controversy; he shouldn't need his friends to defend him by describing criticism as personal attacks.

Not long ago I was criticised for asking people to stop making personal attacks on Ian Levine who wasn't here to defend himself. It seems as if it's okay to throw insults at Ian Levine yet we shouldn't have the nerve to question or criticise James Trouble.

I see double standards here so it's best if I make an exit rather than risk causing any further offence. I'm far more interested in soul music than scene politics and DJ worship.

Paul Mooney

double standards :lol:laugh.gif:lol:

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

No one seems interested in who had it first apart from your brother, and that includes me. Your brother travelled quite a distance to get a DJ to play a boot of it before I DJed, when he knows I have the original, that's quite an effort to go to. I would actually be very interested to hear what he knows about it, where he got it from, if he has the masters why hasn't he thought about getting it licensed and putting it out, what sort of response he's had from it if he's ever played it out, and if he hasn't played it out why not? Maybe you can ask him for us as he certainly didn't seem too keen to talk to me as the only thing he has ever said to me is "I had them 10 years ago I'll do what I like with them"

There is no character assasination, I just want folk to be aware that if your brother is offering bootlegs of records without letting people know they are bootlegs, people who are offered them should be aware of what they are, and if you are happy to play bootlegs, then fine, but be aware of what they are.

Nice first post though it reminds me of the funk board, I feel right at home now, welcome to soul-source btw :lol:

Social source share

Guest soul99 easylay

Yeah, you should be pal :lol:laugh.gif:lol: this is all part of the scene & has been since the word go..............we wouldnt have a scene if collectors & DJ's stopped the quest for new discoveries & DJ's stopped being passionate about them..............the business between James & Rob has gone on in varing forms between DJ's for years................these day's tho everyone knows about it cos we discuss it on a World Wide Forum.

If you enjoy ya self mate............then good on ya..........but if everyone had your opinion the NSC wouldnt exist.

Russ

I don't want them to stop finding new sounds, nor do I want them to be dispassionate about their record collections - but I would like the bloody willy waving, chin rubbing and snobbery to subside somewhat! yes.gif

Anyway fcuk 'em - that's what I say - I'm dancing laugh.gif

Social source share

Guest madkev

Ay up Kev...................hope ya well, what you been up to...........been awhile. Both Rob & James are good people, its all a storm in a teacup & Im sure all concerned will be laughing about it soon. Its only a record after all.

Russ

all right mate, nice to see your still in the land of the living. Just waiting to hear from Mr Trouble but it looks like hes mislaid his keyboard :lol:

Social source share

Guest Brett F

I've heard enough of this nonsense, the only way forward is for one of the main promoters, Waterman, McCabe, Roberts etc to get a hold of this situation .i.e., let's implement a huge industrial Chinese strength steel skip, then throw via a heavily "white horse oil greased surface" TROUBLE AND THOMAS, I'd introduce some corrupt and vile money laundering scheme from South East Asia, purely for the heavy gambling expected, I'd also introduce a huge Gijon Cockerel bread by UNGODLY means, this would just add an element of surprise to the events, then when the warring parties had nothing left to offer I'd send in the honourable Ady Croadsell, he would be like Caesar and have final judgement over this sorry and sad affair.........................

Brett Franklin............... :lol:

THEN I'D ADD KEV THOMAS, BECAUSE HE WOULD EAT ALL THE BONES AND LEAVE NOTHING........ laugh.gif

Social source share

Guest madkev

No one seems interested in who had it first apart from your brother, and that includes me. Your brother travelled quite a distance to get a DJ to play a boot of it before I DJed, when he knows I have the original, that's quite an effort to go to. I would actually be very interested to hear what he knows about it, where he got it from, if he has the masters why hasn't he thought about getting it licensed and putting it out, what sort of response he's had from it if he's ever played it out, and if he hasn't played it out why not? Maybe you can ask him for us as he certainly didn't seem too keen to talk to me as the only thing he has ever said to me is "I had them 10 years ago I'll do what I like with them"

There is no character assasination, I just want folk to be aware that if your brother is offering bootlegs of records without letting people know they are bootlegs, people who are offered them should be aware of what they are, and if you are happy to play bootlegs, then fine, but be aware of what they are.

Nice first post though it reminds me of the funk board, I feel right at home now, welcome to soul-source btw :lol:

Sorry mate the 6ts crap dont interest me one bit, what does concern me is that you are having a go at my brother publically, especially seeing as when you were in the same venue with him, and you were so concerned you would have pushed the issue there and then even though Rob is a man of few little words. Your remarks about Rob travelling miles out of his way to the union is laughable, he was behind the decks of the union and the brit many years before you came on the scene I would imagine. Maybe the way forward is to get the tape off Rob and boot 500-1000 and give em away to all and sundry..... make bloody ashtrays with em, whatever, cos the track IMHO is shite. anyway.

Social source share

Guest Brett F

Just the seven and a half thousand times this has been looked at.

Pity your brother couldn't be here to answer some of these questions instead of you and your veiled threats.

Yeah but Ian you have clicked refresh, 7,000 times. :lol: , don't wish to get involved ,but i don't think Kev does anythng in a "Veil" smile.gif

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

Sorry mate the 6ts crap dont interest me one bit, what does concern me is that you are having a go at my brother publically, especially seeing as when you were in the same venue with him, and you were so concerned you would have pushed the issue there and then even though Rob is a man of few little words. Your remarks about Rob travelling miles out of his way to the union is laughable, he was behind the decks of the union and the brit many years before you came on the scene I would imagine. Maybe the way forward is to get the tape off Rob and boot 500-1000 and give em away to all and sundry..... make bloody ashtrays with em, whatever, cos the track IMHO is shite. anyway.

That's the point Kev, he was there years ago, but he hasn't been there for years untill Saturday when he travelled there and gave a DJ a boot of it to play before I came on. A coincidence? I don't think so. He's your brother, but I'm sure even you can see that it was a wind up, and a public one at that. Giving out boots of other people's records to DJs who are coming on before the person with the original, without telling them what it is is going to wind up of both DJs involved, the promoter of the venue and probably alot of people there. I think it's perfectly reasonable for me to let folk know publically what has gone on, and just be aware that if, like me, they don't play bootlegs then don't accept free records from your brother untill they knwo exactly what they are. But if they are happy to play boots, then fine.

Social source share

jackie wilsons voice box got it right! DJ`s dontcha just love em :lol: . someone on this thread defending DJ`s and there never ending quest to find new material etc etc perhaps should try to calculate the no of records that have been played out on the ns scene over the last 40 odd years, 20,000 perhaps, I dont think I need any new discoveries as I`m still catching up on thousands of records already discovered many years ago I aint heard yet!

man city for the cup

Social source share

Guest madkev

That's the point Kev, he was there years ago, but he hasn't been there for years untill Saturday when he travelled there and gave a DJ a boot of it to play before I came on. A coincidence? I don't think so. He's your brother, but I'm sure even you can see that it was a wind up, and a public one at that. Giving out boots of other people's records to DJs who are coming on before the person with the original, without telling them what it is is going to wind up of both DJs involved, the promoter of the venue and probably alot of people there. I think it's perfectly reasonable for me to let folk know publically what has gone on, and just be aware that if, like me, they don't play bootlegs then don't accept free records from your brother untill they knwo exactly what they are. But if they are happy to play boots, then fine.

Rob has missed 3 dos at the union in the last 2 years and Im sure MicK H will confirm that. I have just spoken to the lad who you have told everyone that you took the 'boot' off in fact you did ask MicK H to take off the record but the lad told Mick no and that it was the genuine record. Mick H then told you if you wanted off you had to take it off, so you did ..... But the record aside, you have come up this way from Essex I dont know what the state of play is down your way, but if it had been me that was djaying when you tried to get the record off then you would have been getting carried off the stage, as you would with a lot of the djays up here that I know if you had done the same to them. I believe that you were up here djaying at a rare soul nite, so whats with the keep on,keeping on track you played, funny really that is cos I never thought that was a rare track!!! Playing boots aint really my thing, but then again neither is rare soul, bit like I said how do we know yours is the genuine article. And if you dont mind me asking how long have you been on the soul scene????

Social source share

The thing that James should have actually done (only IMO), is ask him if he wouldn't mind stopping the record because the quality sounded none too good. And then given him his orginal acetate to play.

That's what I would have done.

And, as a bonus, if he needed to get the crowd warmed up to him he could have asked said DJ to say "this track courtesy of James Trouble, who'll be on later".

Phil

Social source share

bit like I said how do we know yours is the genuine article. And if you dont mind me asking how long have you been on the soul scene????

Would say thats un-questionable really considering the source

Dont see whats how long any one has been on the scene to be of any relevence really, didn't know you had to earn yearly points befor you are allowed to have knowlage/buy/DJ with rare records or have an opinion about somthing?

Social source share

Guest Brett F

The thing that James should have actually done (only IMO), is ask him if he wouldn't mind stopping the record because the quality sounded none too good. And then given him his orginal acetate to play.

That's what I would have done.

And, as a bonus, if he needed to get the crowd warmed up to him he could have asked said DJ to say "this track courtesy of James Trouble, who'll be on later".

Phil

i'd have rather had a right old "ding dong" about it................ TOE TO TOE........... :lol:

Sorry but i'm strictly pavement and i have seen people go to war over putting the wrong amount of sugar in someones tea at work.

I know both James and Kev (Rob's brother) they both have personalitys, but this is a mans world, i'm certain they (all the parties) will sort this in an adult way.

Social source share

Guest madkev

Would say thats un-questionable really considering the source

Dont see whats how long any one has been on the scene to be of any relevence really, didn't know you had to earn yearly points befor you are allowed to have knowlage/buy/DJ with rare records or have an opinion about somthing?

If I was an outsider in this and didnt have a vested interest I would sooner take the word of a person who has been into the scene for 35+ years than that of someone for example who has only been into for shall we say 4 at a wild guess. I dont really think its about earning points but about the respect a person has who has done the years.

Social source share

I dont really think its about earning points but about the respect a person has who has done the years.

Isn't respect a two way thing though?

I would give no person any respect what so ever if they gave me none, and to be honest it wasn't a very respectful thing for Rob to do, IMHO

Social source share

If I was an outsider in this and didnt have a vested interest I would sooner take the word of a person who has been into the scene for 35+ years than that of someone for example who has only been into for shall we say 4 at a wild guess. I dont really think its about earning points but about the respect a person has who has done the years.

here here kev :lol:

Social source share

i'd have rather had a right old "ding dong" about it................ TOE TO TOE........... :lol:

Sorry but i'm strictly pavement and i have seen people go to war over putting the wrong amount of sugar in someones tea at work.

I know both James and Kev (Rob's brother) they both have personalitys, but this is a mans world, i'm certain they (all the parties) will sort this in an adult way.

I used to be the same but now I'm of the "Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you," persuasion. It's quite a refreshing stance to take.

That said I think it would have been difficult for me to put James in my prayers that night had he done it to me.

Phil

Social source share

Guest andrew bin

i'd have rather had a right old "ding dong" about it................ TOE TO TOE........... laugh.gif

i would of rather seen james take the record off put it under his arm then turn and run away wth it with rob hot on his tail, then the dj would be able to put on the record i gave him to play :lol:

Social source share

Guest Brett F

I used to be the same but now I'm of the "Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you," persuasion. It's quite a refreshing stance to take.

That said I think it would have been difficult for me to put James in my prayers that night had he done it to me.

Phil

Phil............are you the actual second coming............... :lol:laugh.gif

Social source share

I nearly did that when someone broke my nearly 30 year old 'Watch out there's a Humphrey about ' mug at work.

It wasn't funny.

I liked that mug.

A lot.

Social source share

Guest Brett F

i would of rather seen james take the record off put it under his arm then turn and run away wth it with rob hot on his tail, then the dj would be able to put on the record i gave him to play :thumbsup:

Man alive................. :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Social source share

Guest Brett F

I nearly did that when someone broke my nearly 30 year old 'Watch out there's a Humphrey about ' mug at work.

It wasn't funny.

I liked that mug.

A lot.

Behave or i'll tell em' that Norwich City away story...................

:thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest madkev

Isn't respect a two way thing though?

I would give no person any respect what so ever if they gave me none, and to be honest it wasn't a very respectful thing for Rob to do, IMHO

I wasnt there on the night Baz, were you? The lad had the record given to him way before the event, IMHO the disrespect come from jtrouble for taking the needle off the record. On this scene its always been a dog eats dog world in the record buying/selling/promoting stakes. You dont think then its disrespectful for him to do this to another djay? Cos I certainly do!!!!! IMHO the only one looking a t**t was jt for his spittin' the dummy out episode. When I used to djay in the northern rooms all I used to do was if someone up before me played a one I had listed to play, I would just change my chioce, not throw a Paddy.

Social source share

bit like I said how do we know yours is the genuine article.

To answer that one Kev, it's an authentic RCA acetate I found in the files of the original publishing company. It obviously had been in there since it was cut (I remember seeing the same filing cabinet in the original office about 10 years before). It's exactly the sort of place you would find that sort of acetate and there were lots of other items similar to it.

Social source share

Baz is sound,and so is James,thats all i`m saying Kev and i`ve been oround too long and you know me. :thumbsup:

Oh so is Ian,mostly :lol:

Social source share

Guest madkev

To answer that one Kev, it's an authentic RCA acetate I found in the files of the original publishing company. It obviously had been in there since it was cut (I remember seeing the same filing cabinet in the original office about 10 years before). It's exactly the sort of place you would find that sort of acetate and there were lots of other items similar to it.

Aup Ady, you cross dressing in Donna's clothes again??? :thumbsup: Its not about whos right and whos wrong mate, just the slagging off he's giving me bro, blood as they say is thicker than water.

Social source share

I wasnt there on the night Baz, were you? The lad had the record given to him way before the event, IMHO the disrespect come from jtrouble for taking the needle off the record. On this scene its always been a dog eats dog world in the record buying/selling/promoting stakes. You dont think then its disrespectful for him to do this to another djay? Cos I certainly do!!!!! IMHO the only one looking a t**t was jt for his spittin' the dummy out episode. When I used to djay in the northern rooms all I used to do was if someone up before me played a one I had listed to play, I would just change my chioce, not throw a Paddy.

No i wasn't there just going by whats been posted :thumbsup:

I agree it proberly wasn't the best way for James to deal with the situation, but i'd be right p**sed off too if i had paid out for a one off/rare record that was an exclusive, to enter a venue and find 'my' record being spun on a cut, Im not really interested in any personal differnces JT and Rob have (spoke to him once seemed a nice guy always used to play a request for me when he was Djing)

Social source share

Im not one for forums and ive just signed up to this today to put my side of the story across, for I am the DJ who played the record that's caused so much concern.

Firstly, I dont support the playing of boot legs but i wont criticise those that do, as now days to be a DJ in this scene you need to be extremely wealthy, who are we to means test a DJ?

I've been Djing at this particular venue on behalf of Mick H for many years, Mick wouldn't allow this if i didn't have the vinyl to do so.

Now the record in question, this was given to me by Rob, I took it in good faith that it was one of two copies both equalivent. I have known Rob for many years and have no reason to doubt his word.

As i was DJing at a Rare Soul night I obviously played this rare Soul record, I did announce what it was I was playing then was approached by James, he asked me what i was playing (probably didn't hear my introduction). I told him, so his claim that it was being played by a DJ who hadn't heard the record and didn't know anything about it are incorrect. James then asked me to remove the record as he claimed I was playing a bootleg. I refused, he asked for a second time, I refused again. He left the stage and returned very quickly with Mick H. Mick asked me to remove the record, I refused but did say to Mick that he could remove it if he wished. He signalled to James to do so, James carefully lifted the needle and I then started the next deck which was already queued up. James then went to speak to Rob, shortly returning to me and apologising for what had happened and we shook hands. Also, i would like to confirm that Rob has frequently attended this venue after retiring from Djing there.

Finally, i can understand James' frustration to find out there is another copy in existence, of which was not only lent to me for the night but given to me permanently.

Mick

Social source share

Wow I can honestly say that I have never seen so many people looking at one thread on here like they are on this one, over 50 members as we speak, imagine how much more we could all share and learn about the really important stuff like the music, it's history, records, artists etc. etc. for example????? No disrespect to the people involved or mentioned here but is this not getting a little out of control now?

I find Rob Thomas a very decent chap and consider him a mate as I do James but this really seems to have no ending this one, I wish you could just work out this problem and soon.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

Phil............are you the actual second coming............... :thumbsup::lol:

No. There'll be no mistaking it when that happens.

I'm just expressing my opinion as to how I felt JT could have handled things a little better.

I do understand the other points of view too thought. If it (someone removing a record I was playing) had happened to me before I became a christian then I would have made my feelings known, shall we say, very enthusiastically.

Phil

Social source share

Wow I can honestly say that I have never seen so many people looking at one thread on here like they are on this one, over 50 members as we speak, imagine how much more we could all share and learn about the really important stuff like the music, it's history, records, artists etc. etc. for example????? No disrespect to the people involved or mentioned here but is this not getting a little out of control now?

I find Rob Thomas a very decent chap and consider him a mate as I do James but this really seems to have no ending this one, I wish you could just work out this problem and soon.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Everybodys waiting for Winnie to come on line Mark :thumbsup:

Social source share