You Have To Wonder Why

Guest James Trouble

And don't forget all you record number of pop-pickers reading this thread, this all kicked off at Cleethorpes Beachcomber All Dayer. Aye that's CLEETHORPES BEACHCOMBER ALL-DAYER (forthcoming dates to be announced soon). Home of THE Weekender, the odd drunken all-dayer and ( a very possible future attraction) 'soul-celebrity death-match all-in wrestling' (dates TBC).................

Not that I saw any mileage in blatant promotion, of course............ :D:unsure:

Social source share

• Replies 285
  • Views 21.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

I've never understood why people play original, possibly one-off acetates in public: what about the risk of damaging them? I appreciate there will be a possible loss in quality if using a facility such as vinyl carvers, but surely these discs were never intended to stand up to the rigours of consistent abuse on a Technics deck.

Social source share

Surely that means it was dealt with at the time?

Nah all matey would say is "I had it ten years ago" and thats about all he would say according to what James has said. That and "I'll do what I like".

This thread is worthwhile when you read things like the original master is owned by RCA. Highlights the chancer from the dj imo.

Social source share

I've never understood why people play original, possibly one-off acetates in public: what about the risk of damaging them? I appreciate there will be a possible loss in quality if using a facility such as vinyl carvers, but surely these discs were never intended to stand up to the rigours of consistent abuse on a Technics deck.

It only deteriorates very marginally and with the acetate concerned and any other ones I play they are copied digitally as soon after acquisition as possible and the sound is preserved that way. I've played Ben E King a lot of times and it still sounds good.

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

You could make the same arguement for art, wasn't there a rare Monet slashed by vandels in France this week? Art snobs like to see the real thing when they pay to see rare art. I think it's the same with records, I think it's important to play the original artifact.

Besides, some acetates are tougher than vinyl, the old Herb Johnson "D'amph F'aint" acetate on Virtue which went though Keb and mine's hands still sounded better after years of abuse than the vinyl copies ever did. It went to Japan in the end I think...

Edited by James Trouble
Social source share

"Surely that means it was dealt with at the time?

So the posting about it on a forum is an attempt to escalate the dispute?"

But as has been previously said this forum is here to discuss the sort of issues stunts like this raise.....?

What about the thread going on about that punch up recently.....that didn't have anything to do with the music at all but all the grievances got aired on this forum!

Edited by mulf
Social source share

James it is a shame that you are so hot headed and passionate, this makes you an easy target and you proved him right.

Save your passion for the dance floor.

It's a real no no taking the record off even with permission. ohmy.gif

More satisfying me thinks, to start your spot with the "said" record and announce "and now for the original".

As for the airing on here, yes, perfect place.

Now go back to the northern soul skool of how to behave and learn you young whippersnapper.... :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest soulmaguk

I dunno why you two guys can't get together outside a venue, share a fag and frank exchange of views then slugg the f**ker out like they used to when John Wayne was alive, or is that being rather petty, vidictive and chldish wink.gif

The hell it isn't :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest soulmaguk

And don't forget all you record number of pop-pickers reading this thread, this all kicked off at Cleethorpes Beachcomber All Dayer. Aye that's CLEETHORPES BEACHCOMBER ALL-DAYER (forthcoming dates to be announced soon). Home of THE Weekender, the odd drunken all-dayer and ( a very possible future attraction) 'soul-celebrity death-match all-in wrestling' (dates TBC).................

Not that I saw any mileage in blatant promotion, of course............ biggrin.gif:thumbsup:

Oh, i'm gonna bring my 'trunks' next time boxing.gif

Social source share

Guest DonnaD

cutting edge ??????????????...he's only been on the scene for five minutes, and he's pissed more people off in those five minutes than other people have in 30 years

Social source share

Guest DonnaD

And he's also pushed more bounderies, and intent on keeping the scene fresh than most of the people been on the scene in the last 30 years!!

Its a case of the green eyed moster i think, young whipper snapper making a name for himself and all the old big boys who have lost it in 1979 are jealous of him laugh.gif

:thumbsup:

Social source share

cutting edge ??????????????...he's only been on the scene for five minutes, and he's pissed more people off in those five minutes than other people have in 30 years

I think what seems to be pissing people off is that he has brilliant taste in music, is a top class DJ, and is youthful enough to dance through the whole of an umtempo stomper without having to lie down afterwards - laugh.gif - Jealousy is just silly - the scene is too small! and too old :thumbsup:

Give over will ya`,your funny laugh.gif tough at the top init`.......costs a lot too!!.

Social source share

Guest rachel

I think what seems to be pissing people off is that he has brilliant taste in music, is a top class DJ, and is youthful enough to dance through the whole of an umtempo stomper without having to lie down afterwards - laugh.gif - Jealousy is just silly - the scene is too small! and too old :thumbsup:

Why would anyone be p*ssed off at or jealous of someone else's taste in music? You either (broadly) share someone's taste, in which case you approve of it - and you can't be jealous of something you already have, or you have different taste, in which case you're not going to want theirs! Completely nonsensical to include taste in that statement.

Social source share

Guest DonnaD

no donna, what seems to be pissing people off is his arrogant attitude,

I think you might be mistaking confidence for arrogance.

Social source share

Guest Bearsy

Soundclip anyone :thumbsup:

i agree, how about an mp3 of this said track and lets see just how good this new track is and then i can comment wether James has brilliant taste or not biggrin.gif

Social source share

no donna, what seems to be pissing people off is his arrogant attitude, and the fact that he is under 45yo, didn't go to Wigan OR Stafford and isn't even from Yorkshire.

post-1535-1191866882.jpg

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

i think all Dj's should be arrogant , but that could just be me lolol

Edited by dundeedavie
Social source share

Guest James Trouble

laugh.gif trust you Dave biggrin.gif

sorry James but i couldnt help myself :thumbsup:

laugh.gif:lol::lol:

:lol: Sweet :(

Edited by James Trouble
Social source share

At the cleethorpes alldayer Rob Thomas, who I had never met before came up to me and said

"You must be James Trouble, that Willie Kendricks acetate and all them you've got I had all those 10 years ago"

Now, I've never met the man before, so this was a rather strange introduction. I replied

"Oh great, it's good isn't it, so if you had them 10 years ago why havn't you ever played them?"

He said it's because he doesn't DJ very often, which is rather odd, as I have seen him on flyers reguarly in the past few years...

Then last night at Mick's Union, and Rob Thomas was there, which he has not been to for years, I am led to believe. Then one of the DJs who was on before me, Micko I think (but I'll need to check), played my Willie Kendricks acetate. I was surprised at this, went to the deck, and it was of course a bootleg, and a poor sounding muddy bootleg as well. I ask him what it was, and he didn't know, he said Rob thomas had given it to him. I stopped the record and took it off, told him what it was, and I asked Rob Thomas why he was being a c*** giving out bootlegs of my records to DJs to play before me. He said, and I'm gettign pretty used to hearing this, as it's the only thing he's ever said to me "I had it ten years ago, I've got the master tape I'll do what I like".

So, the obvious question is why would a man have a tape (let's not call it a master tape, as my suspicion is it is a recording taken of the acetate as it came into the country 10 years ago) for 10 years (if hsi story is even true) and not use it untill I make the record popular? If he doesn't like it that much to have not used it for 10 years, why would he travel to a club a good 1 1/2 hours from his house that he has not been to for years to give a DJ who was clueless about what was going on, a bootleg of it to play before my set?

It's irrelevent that it's a master tape, or an audio tape recording of my acetate made 10 years ago as it came into this counrty. It's still bootlegging a record and giving it to a DJ tp play before me, who then ends up looking stupid by getting caught up in Rob Thomas's silly game. It's very strange and twisted behaviour, don't you think? Tell me if I'm wrong?

Well i think the whole business is despicable

now we have established this fact

can i have a copy please James?

Social source share

Guest Bearsy

:thumbsup:laugh.giflaugh.gif

On a serious note James, can i ask you a question if you dont want to answer thats fine,

would you do anything differently if it was to happen again ?

im only asking as many people have voiced there opinions on your actions about taking the record off, me personally i dont agree with taking the record off but i do understand your frustrations and if it was booted to make you look and fell a right **** then that is bang out of order towards you.

Bearsy

Social source share

Egoes?

How ironic is that from someone who has in his signature the suggestion that he is the best "oldies DJ in the land"?

post-1535-1191864708.gif

=======

actually my signature says is there a better oldies dj?

one day i hope i will be! - my year will be 2012 when family and work commitments should allow me to attend more events!!

however i wouldnt go up to an oldies dj whos playing pressings and cds and yank em of the decks!

i admire James for his passion its a frustrating scene sometimes but respect has to be earned and wish him in his quest in whatever he wants to achieve.

also the older established guys should be receptive to new talent,which james obviously has got.

fortunately i learned a few years ago not to take the scene too seriously and i never will again...

good luck to both parties

Edited by wiganer1
Social source share

Guest soul99 easylay

Over 100,000 great records out there to be played, yet so many copycat (DJ's) chasing the same handful of tunes.

Tragic... yet somehow hilarious!

When I'm out, I just wanna hear Soul Music... and have no interest whatsoever in being a spectator to some kind of 'Rarity Contest'.

Sean

PS: The above does in no way infer that I approve of the programming of any kind of illegal, counterfeit, carvered, bootlegged, stolen or other illicit media at any Soul Night anywhere. ph34r.gif

BRAVO! Sean

Wow, I can't believe just how much debate this has caused and just how wildly off topic it has gone! I've just sat down and read right through and Sean has made THE most pertinent point of all.

I am amazed that as a non-DJing (yes it is a word :lol: ) Northern Soul fan it appears that we (the dancers) are surplus to requirements for what is rapidly appearing to be some major "muscle flexing vanity show" for a bunch of DJs - come on guys just get your willy's and wallets out, you can then see who's is the biggest and who has the most money (so you can buy that ultra rare record) - then you'll be the winner. The rest of us can then get on and listen to that wonderful music we call "Northern" - that's the common bond that we all share.

By the way - the reason why some records are SO rare and SO hard to track down is because they were utter crap and they were either unreleased or binned - rare DOES NOT equal quality. It's amazing but some of the most over player and readily available records are just that because they are bloody good and people want to hear them!

Yes, it's nice to hear new undiscovered stuff and obviously collectors will cause the price to rise - but come on it's about the MUSIC not the bloody plastic it's available on!

It's a case of the emperor's new clothes! ph34r.gif

Having said that, my opinion will no doubt be invalid because:

1. I am not a DJ

2. I never went to Wigan (I'm too young - bless me)

3. I don't collect Vinyl

4. I don't give a sh*t if it's original or a bootleg

By the way, I went to a NS night last year and the DJ playing at the time played a boot of Frank Wilson - did the dance floor clear? NO. Did it cause a riot? NO. Did the space time continuum implode? NO. Did the floor actually get busier? YES!!! Amazing isn't it? :lol:

I guess I'll be banned from SS and refused entry to all Soul Nights from now on for being a heretic? :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

On a serious note James, can i ask you a question if you dont want to answer thats fine,

would you do anything differently if it was to happen again ?

im only asking as many people have voiced there opinions on your actions about taking the record off, me personally i dont agree with taking the record off but i do understand your frustrations and if it was booted to make you look and fell a right **** then that is bang out of order towards you.

Bearsy

Good question mate. But I think I have answered it already, as I said, a few moments after it happenned and I had spoken to Rob Thomas asking him what he was doing and he said "I had it ten years ago I'll do what I like", I went back to the DJ and appologised said it wasn't his fault he'd been used in Rob Thomas's silly game and shook his hand. So I think you can assume I wouldn't do it again.

But I don't view it as a record, it was a nasty poor sounding bootleg that deserved to be destroyed, let alone stopped with the consent of the promoter.

But by making everyone aware of what sort of character Rob Thomas is I don't think anyone would be stupid enough to accept a blank dub off him without doing their homework first...

Social source share

BRAVO! Sean

Wow, I can't believe just how much debate this has caused and just how wildly off topic it has gone! I've just sat down and read right through and Sean has made THE most pertinent point of all.

I am amazed that as a non-DJing (yes it is a word :lol: ) Northern Soul fan it appears that we (the dancers) are surplus to requirements for what is rapidly appearing to be some major "muscle flexing vanity show" for a bunch of DJs - come on guys just get your willy's and wallets out, you can then see who's is the biggest and who has the most money (so you can buy that ultra rare record) - then you'll be the winner. The rest of us can then get on and listen to that wonderful music we call "Northern" - that's the common bond that we all share.

By the way - the reason why some records are SO rare and SO hard to track down is because they were utter crap and they were either unreleased or binned - rare DOES NOT equal quality. It's amazing but some of the most over player and readily available records are just that because they are bloody good and people want to hear them!

Yes, it's nice to hear new undiscovered stuff and obviously collectors will cause the price to rise - but come on it's about the MUSIC not the bloody plastic it's available on!

1. I am not a DJ

3. I don't collect Vinyl

By the way, I went to a NS night last year and the DJ playing at the time played a boot of Frank Wilson - did the dance floor clear? NO. Did it cause a riot? NO. Did the space time continuum implode? NO. Did the floor actually get busier? YES!!! Amazing isn't it? :lol:

I guess I'll be banned from SS and refused entry to all Soul Nights from now on for being a heretic? :thumbsup:

you cant.come on here talking sence you know...its disgusting... laugh.gif ..its..........improper an stuff :lol:

Bazza

Social source share

BRAVO! Sean

I am amazed that as a non-DJing (yes it is a word :P ) Northern Soul fan it appears that we (the dancers) are surplus to requirements for what is rapidly appearing to be some major "muscle flexing vanity show" for a bunch of DJs - come on guys just get your willy's and wallets out, you can then see who's is the biggest and who has the most money (so you can buy that ultra rare record) - then you'll be the winner. The rest of us can then get on and listen to that wonderful music we call "Northern" - that's the common bond that we all share.

1. I am not a DJ

3. I don't collect Vinyl

By the way, I went to a NS night last year and the DJ playing at the time played a boot of Frank Wilson - did the dance floor clear? NO. Did it cause a riot? NO. Did the space time continuum implode? NO. Did the floor actually get busier? YES!!! Amazing isn't it? :D

I guess I'll be banned from SS and refused entry to all Soul Nights from now on for being a heretic? mellow.gif

Nail on head :lol:thumbsup.gif:lol:

Social source share

Guest Bearsy

Good question mate. But I think I have answered it already, as I said, a few moments after it happenned and I had spoken to Rob Thomas asking him what he was doing and he said "I had it ten years ago I'll do what I like", I went back to the DJ and appologised said it wasn't his fault he'd been used in Rob Thomas's silly game and shook his hand. So I think you can assume I wouldn't do it again.

But I don't view it as a record, it was a nasty poor sounding bootleg that deserved to be destroyed, let alone stopped with the consent of the promoter.

But by making everyone aware of what sort of character Rob Thomas is I don't think anyone would be stupid enough to accept a blank dub off him without doing their homework first...

:lol: you did kind of answer it before but this post of yours was a proper answer and credit to you James, you have took some stick but i kind of get the impression that most of it is just going over your head (not in an arrogant way btw :lol: ) as you have done what you seem to of set out to do and that is highlighted what has happened to you and why,

it does not matter to me if it was a £10,000 rarity or a £20 cheapie, to play a boot and to do so especially in the manner in which it is and was done was out of order in my opinion not that my opinion as ever counted for much,

rise above it remember it could of been worse James,

it could of been my acetate shades.gif

Social source share

Guest soul99 easylay

you cant.come on here talking sence you know...its disgusting... laugh.gif ..its..........improper an stuff biggrin.gif

Bazza

:lol: How dare you? I've never been accused of talking sense before! :lol:

Social source share

:lol: you did kind of answer it before but this post of yours was a proper answer and credit to you James, you have took some stick but i kind of get the impression that most of it is just going over your head (not in an arrogant way btw biggrin.gif ) as you have done what you seem to of set out to do and that is highlighted what has happened to you and why,

it does not matter to me if it was a £10,000 rarity or a £20 cheapie, to play a boot and to do so especially in the manner in which it is and was done was out of order in my opinion not that my opinion as ever counted for much,

rise above it remember it could of been worse James,

Your my best internet pal James, can I buy you a drink James, can I carry your box for you James, I love you james.

signed

bearsy

Social source share

Guest Bearsy

Your my best internet pal James, can I buy you a drink James, can I carry your box for you James, I love you james.

signed

bearsy

:lol: you **** Pete tongue.gif

Social source share