Too New

Guest bill storey

Guest bill storey

I was at 'Soul at the Sands' in Southport last month, to be honest I wasn't terribly impressed, the beer was pricey, the dance floor was too small, not much of a crowd and I was told off for applying a small ammount of talc, However this is about new tunes on the scene. On the whole the playlist wasn't too bad mostly played out oldies and a rather large handfull of decent modern tracks but one of the dj's played Amy freakin' Winehouse ' Tears dry on their own ' I don't mind the record but I thought it was totally out of place on the Northern scene, it just didn't hit the spot. I realise new tunes have to be played in order of moving on but I think this is too new and a touch the wrong genre. Anyone else there or anywhere had too new tracks played and cleared the dance floor??

Social source share

• Replies 5
  • Views 959
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

I was at 'Soul at the Sands' in Southport last month, to be honest I wasn't terribly impressed, the beer was pricey, the dance floor was too small, not much of a crowd and I was told off for applying a small ammount of talc, However this is about new tunes on the scene. On the whole the playlist wasn't too bad mostly played out oldies and a rather large handfull of decent modern tracks but one of the dj's played Amy freakin' Winehouse ' Tears dry on their own ' I don't mind the record but I thought it was totally out of place on the Northern scene, it just didn't hit the spot. I realise new tunes have to be played in order of moving on but I think this is too new and a touch the wrong genre. Anyone else there or anywhere had too new tracks played and cleared the dance floor??

Heard a few years ago that Diana Ross - 'Chain Reaction' & (can't thing of his name at the moment) 'Never Met a Girl like You Before' were played at Northern nights!

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

(can't thing of his name at the moment) 'Never Met a Girl like You Before' were played at Northern nights!

Edwin Collins.

I can see why someone would think to play that out, it's got that mock 60s soul sound, like Nicole Willis and Frank Popp (personally i hate that retro rubbish) and Edwin Collins did a song with northern dancers and the nite owl logo in his video 'Keep On Burning' so there is some connection.

As for new tunes, i've got nothing against new stuff, even if it's in the charts being played. I always thought Lola's Theme - Shapeshifters deserved some plays out, but you're right it's about genre not newness IMO.

Social source share

None of the records in this thread should be played at NS dos imho, what's the point when there's the proper stuff out there to play, literally hundreds of brilliant Soul records from the 6ts & 7ts predominantly.

Simon

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert