Cheap Rarities

Guest andyrattigan

Guest andyrattigan

What tunes are hard to come buy but very cheap as in under £100?

Most of the 45's in my collection are worth £100 or under (most of them in the under £100 category).

However, I was just thinking there are bound to be lots of records that are rare these days, but still relatively cheap, but just due to them not being spun enough at venues by big DJ's they don't have a massive price tag.

Any one think of tunes that may fall into this category?

I would offer two records as an example (I could be wrong though):

IRENE AND THE SCOTTS- IM STUCK ON MY BABY (SMASH)

FRED HUGHES- I KEEP TRYIN' (EXODUS)

Social source share

• Replies 30
  • Views 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

I would have thought Irene and the Scotts was pretty easy to get, I see it in boxes often enough for around £30.

Social source share

Guest Pete Griffin

Tabby Thomas - Popye Train excello, cheap but very hard to find, ive only seen one on ebay this year and that was only in vg con.

Social source share

Most of the 45's in my collection are worth £100 or under (most of them in the under £100 category).

However, I was just thinking there are bound to be lots of records that are rare these days, but still relatively cheap, but just due to them not being spun enough at venues by big DJ's they don't have a massive price tag.

Took me a while to find "Let's Get Together" - Andrew Brown - 4 Bros 444.

"She Won't Come Back" - Hesitations on Kapp in M- took a long time.

"Don't Turn Away" - Willie McDougal - Kinard.

"Count Me Out" - Billy Stewart - Chess.

"I Haven't Got What It Takes" - Judy Clay on Scepter I bought from ebay a couple of years ago. People I have played it to, have tried to find it and say it does not turn up, even though it's not expensive.

There are still records now that are only worth about £25 -£50 that I have been looking for a long time , but they never seem to turn up, can't tell you what they are until I get them!!

Social source share

Willie McDougall turned up in quantity in the late 80s and many dealers seemed to have it for sale. I suspect that copies sold these days come from the original haul, so while I wouldn't consider it a true rarity I would imagine it would tend to hold its price over time.

I agree the Judy Clay mentioned above is genuinely scarce but relatively inexpensive. Plus it's an absolutely fantastic record.

Social source share

James Bynum - Time Passes By

Sold 2 copies on here recently and could have sold lots more if I had them. Never see it for sale in boxes and just right for today

Social source share

Guest Pete Griffin

Harold Burrage - 50/50 M-Pac.

Hard to find these days in decent nick and price steadily creeping up.

Rich

Another great one. rolleyes.gif

Social source share

Had this same/similar discussion with a few mates recently, and for what it's worth the theory we came up with is that because they are sub £50 records, rightly or wrongly it is assumed everyone's got one by now and they ain't that desirable, so they are not offered up for sale that often.

Hope that makes sense.

Tony

Social source share

Guest Roccia

Milton Wright "I Belong To You" (Satiron)

Not expensive but really hard to get... If anyone has a copy for sale at a decent price, please PM me...

Social source share

Willie McDougal must be a good £150 easily??

Thought it was about £80, but then again have not seen it for sale for a few years. I had a spare copy a while back so didn't think it rare.

Social source share

They are counterfeits, before the grapevine release; just

So, the only legit ones are Grapevine...? :thumbsup:

More info about the Satiron ones, please...?

Social source share

They aren't counterfeits because there is no original to counterfeit - they are just pressings

thought the satiron ones were done by jon anderson to distribute them among the then top dj's after he got the original master tapes? hence no pressings but genuine first releases even if they were from 77-ish?

anyway, back to topic: the jades - i know the feeling, brilliant track, semi-known and sooo hard to find....

Social source share

thought the satiron ones were done by jon anderson to distribute them among the then top dj's after he got the original master tapes? hence no pressings but genuine first releases even if they were from 77-ish?

anyway, back to topic: the jades - i know the feeling, brilliant track, semi-known and sooo hard to find....

That's where I bought my copy from, I believe that Soul Bowl had them done from Original Master Tapes on Satiron.

I don't know how many were made though, Never issued until then, released it on John's Grapevine Label.

They obviously had access/rights to the Master Tapes.

Edited by 45cellar
Social source share

That's where I bought my copy from, I believe that Soul Bowl had them done from Original Master Tapes on Satiron.

I don't know how many were made though, Never issued until then, released it on John's Grapevine Label.

They obviously had access/rights to the Master Tapes.

Any idea how much it goes for these days?

gary

Social source share

ive got " you threw a lucky punch " - gene chandler on ( trip ) never seen it before , does anyone know what its worth?

trip is a reissue label, worth almost nothing on that label. Original is on veejay, maybe a $10 record? It's an answer record to mary wells.

Social source share

trip is a reissue label, worth almost nothing on that label. Original is on veejay, maybe a $10 record? It's an answer record to mary wells.

ok , cheers

Social source share

PAIR EXTRAORDINAIRE fight for your girl / patience baby ON LIBERTY cheap as never see it anywhere or is that just me fight for your girl is a lovely tune

KIERAN FSC

Social source share

Took me a while to find "Let's Get Together" - Andrew Brown - 4 Bros 444.

"She Won't Come Back" - Hesitations on Kapp in M- took a long time.

"Don't Turn Away" - Willie McDougal - Kinard.

"Count Me Out" - Billy Stewart - Chess.

"I Haven't Got What It Takes" - Judy Clay on Scepter I bought from ebay a couple of years ago. People I have played it to, have tried to find it and say it does not turn up, even though it's not expensive.

There are still records now that are only worth about £25 -£50 that I have been looking for a long time , but they never seem to turn up, can't tell you what they are until I get them!!

you sure willie mcdougal is only rated at 25-50 ? i'd have said 150 minimum and 200 not unreasonable.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert