Tunes Bought On Release

Drew3

Not sure of the exact the way to phrase this question but I think you will get my drift.

Anyone got a soul/NS record on it's origional label that has become a top tune; well known on the scene; rarity; regular play or whatever, that they bought themselves in the sixties/seventies from a record shop at the time of the tunes first release and not from a dealer or digging around in boxes etc later?

Clearly this would apply to the older end of collector/soul fan on here and maybe (or maybe not) only to those living in the States at the time.

If this a stupid question my coat is ready and waiting!! :thumbup:

KTF.

Drew.

Social source share

• Replies 35
  • Views 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Not sure of the exact the way to phrase this question but I think you will get my drift.

Anyone got a soul/NS record on it's origional label that has become a top tune; well known on the scene; rarity; regular play or whatever, that they bought themselves in the sixties/seventies from a record shop at the time of the tunes first release and not from a dealer or digging around in boxes etc later?

Clearly this would apply to the older end of collector/soul fan on here and maybe (or maybe not) only to those living in the States at the time.

If this a stupid question my coat is ready and waiting!! :thumbup:

KTF.

Drew.

Yeah loads of 70s - I assume you mean imports otherwise everyone over 35 will have some :D

Charles Johnson, Collins & Collins all at £1.15 each, Alfie Davison etc.

Social source share

A mate of mine always takes the rise out of me because it seems that everything he's recently discovered 'I bought it as a new release'.

Off the top of my head...

Brothers Guiding Light "Getting Together"

Bill Harris "Am I Cold Am I Hot"

Invitations "Look On The Good Side"

Modulations "Hopelessly In Love"

Act One "Goodbye Love"

Charles Johnson "Never Had A Love So Good"

Gayle Adams "Baby I Need Your Loving"

Futures "Party Time Man"

Syl Johnson "We Did It"

Bobo Mr Soul "HitchHike To Heartbreak"

Greg Perry "It Takes Heart"

All brand new, mostly off the release sheets at Contempo or from the Rotherham record shop I worked for at the time.

Then there's literally thousands of 70's issues from Sisters Sledge "Love Dont Go Through No Changes" to Tavares "My Ship" Jackie Beavers on Jay Boy etc that I'm sure most of us picked up when hot off the press.

Sean

Social source share

A mate of mine always takes the rise out of me because it seems that everything he's recently discovered 'I bought it as a new release'.

Act One "Goodbye Love"

Futures "Party Time Man"

Syl Johnson "We Did It"

All brand new, mostly off the release sheets at Contempo or from the Rotherham record shop I worked for at the time.

Then there's literally thousands of 70's issues from Sisters Sledge "Love Dont Go Through No Changes" to Tavares "My Ship" Jackie Beavers on Jay Boy etc that I'm sure most of us picked up when hot off the press.

Sean

Wasn't/isn't Act 1 Goodbuy Love the b side of Tom the Peeper which was a massive disco hit on import in London ? (damn giving away my bloody age again :thumbup: )

Social source share

Act One "Goodbye Love"

Futures "Party Time Man"

Syl Johnson "We Did It"

Sean

Yeah but Sean you are a lot older than the rest of us :thumbup:

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

The only one i've ever bought as a new release was Don't You Get So Mad - Jeffrey Osbourne - 1983, played at Stafford while in the charts at the time :unsure:

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Yup Sammy bought Paul thompson "Special kind of woman" from Record Corner as a new release :unsure:

Sorry to contradict you, mate, but he didn't - I was working at RC when it was a new release, and I can tell you with some certainty that we never had it in stock! :unsure: ...

...of course, we had plenty of other great future classics that people didn't want to buy as a new release. But definitely not that one....

While I'm here, I bought "Why Am I Loving You" by Debbie Dean, mail order, from the Clifton Record Shop in Bristol when it was pretty much a new release (less than 6 months old).

It was one of the first imports I ever bought - all from that shop, all mail order and all on Motown labels . The others, which were a bit older, included Kim Weston "A Thrill A Moment", Frances Nero "Keep On Loving Me", the Darnells "Too Hurt to Cry etc.", the Monitors "Bring Back the Love", Marv Johnson "I Miss You Baby (How I Miss You)", Carolyn Crawford "My Smile Is Just A Frown (Turned Upside Down)" and others that have since slipped my mind...

Social source share

Keepin Love New - Howard Johnson

Messing With My Mind - Clarence Carter

Loverboy - Chairmen Of The Board

I Couldn't Believe It - Ruffin And Kendrick

are a few I can think that I bought as new, I wasn't too interested at the time in buying new tunes as was always looking for 60's

I can remember a conversation had with Terry Jones when he used to own the Spread Eagle in Shoreditch when he said to me and my mates "You's lot are to busy looking for old stuff to pick up the good new stuff thats around, us's will all what untill it's 20 or 30 years old then you's will start appreciating it", "No we wont" we all said :unsure::unsure:

on reflection he was only too bloody right :unsure:

Edited by richard
Social source share

My Hang Up is You on GSF from Marshalls in Burnley.

I also heard Tony Blackburn play Nolan Porter on the radio in 74(?) and thought "I must get that"!!! But Marshalls never got it in.

Bloody hell Karen! (John Macarthy's (AKA MAc) wife who worked in Marshalls).

Social source share

There are so many...

Bill Brandon, Lew Kirton, Wilson Pickett, Bobby Womack, Phillip Mitchell, Billy Cole, Otis Clay, Barbara Hall, Nolan Porter, Sam Dees, Gloria Scott, Milt Matthews, Bill Harris, Debbie Taylor, Willie & Anthony, Syl Johnson, Jeff Perry, Stephens & Foster, Lawrence Payton etc.

I'm sure there are many soulsource members who bought things as new releases and had to wait for years until they were "discovered" by "upfront" DJs on the soul scene.

:lol:

Paul Mooney

P.S. Don't forget there were hundreds of copies of "The Streets Got My Lady" imported as new / recent releases and sold for 85p. yet some people claim it's a very rare record.

Social source share

The Exportations " I want you " , Otis Clay " The only way is up " , Debbie Taylor " Just don't pay " [ though I bought it for the deep flip " I don't wanna lose you " ], and several others from the 70's and 80's , usually off Soul Bowl if an import and Pete Widd at Wigan if it was a new UK release .Best ,Eddie

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

So how come Paul Thompson was never imported by Record Corner , it does seem scarce too ?

I was acquiring any new Stax and Volt 45s back then as a matter of course - still am, and still don't have a Paul Thompson BTW! - and as they came in. It wasn't so much that it was 'never imported' as that it 'never turned up'. We used to get 90-95% of the new Stax/Volt 45s as the exporter who we dealt with in the States back then was the local distributor of all Stax-related labels. I've no doubt that we would have ordered it, but just never came through, not even a sample copy - I guess that the distributor never had any faith in it, and just didn't bother to stock it. And if the distributor didn't stock it, then we didn't stock it, simple as that...

Social source share

tony, did these american distributors have you down as foaming at the mouth nutters, or just knowlegdeable british entrepreneurs committed to spreading the word? it seems there has always always been some incomprehension regarding the british scene. jimmy ruffin, in SWONS, seemed very scornful of it, indeed.

I still have my sisters showstoppers ain't nothing but a houseparty/what can a man do? and willie parker I live the life I love/you got your finger in my eye. but this doesn't count cos I was only 8 or 9 when they came out.

Social source share

aint nobody jiving/oh happy day flame n king from r. e. cords in derby, asked hector to play it, thought "aint nobody" was crap so i waited till it was in the cheap box and bought it then

my babys got esp on roulette, also bought it on that pink label but thought it was a boot at the time so it went to a party at a mates house and stayed there with some other "throw away" records at the time

Social source share

I was acquiring any new Stax and Volt 45s back then as a matter of course - still am, and still don't have a Paul Thompson BTW! - and as they came in. It wasn't so much that it was 'never imported' as that it 'never turned up'. We used to get 90-95% of the new Stax/Volt 45s as the exporter who we dealt with in the States back then was the local distributor of all Stax-related labels. I've no doubt that we would have ordered it, but just never came through, not even a sample copy - I guess that the distributor never had any faith in it, and just didn't bother to stock it. And if the distributor didn't stock it, then we didn't stock it, simple as that...

Thanks for that Tony ,obviously Poke found some when he started at Soul Bowl .. ph34r.gif

Social source share

Guest Netspeaky

Anybody who was into SOUL MUSIC in their teens late 60's and the 70's will have bought NEW releases, many which were BIG when they were released and are still BIG today, other slipped out un-noticed by the masses but perhaps we were lucky enough to have bought them on release, but are now in-demand and chased by the masses.

From my own personal experience I could list 100's which I have bought back in the 70's as new releases, I still buy new releases whenever I can, no doubt some of these will become collectable in the future.

As a tip to a new collector, maybe you should only collect new releases it will save you a packet in the future, but I can guarantee you will miss 100's maybe 1000's over a 12 month period, as it's impossible to keep up with what get's released, that's even if you had the cash to buy them all.

Social source share

If this a stupid question my coat is ready and waiting!! blush.gif

KTF.

Drew.

Loads and loads mate, bought as new release from 70's onwards, mostly from Soul Bowl, Record Corner or Voices they were cheaper than the rareties I wanted to buy. Including:

Innersection - 85p

Benny Troy - 85p

Flame N King - 85p

Raj - £1.25

Rumple-Stil-Skin - £1.25

Nolan Porter (If I Could Only Be Sure) - £1.25

Frankie Knuckles - £2

Jackson Sisters - £1.25

Clarence Carter - £1.25

Syl Johnson (Do You Know What Love Is - Red Label) 95p

And probably loads more I don't even know the value of. I could go on and on and on - but I won't. biggrin.gif

Funny though, even though these go for money these days I still don't regard them as "big records". Just great ones!

J.

Edited by John Alden
Social source share

Yup Sammy bought Paul thompson "Special kind of woman" from Record Corner as a new release ohmy.gif

I thought that was 1970 Steve .. I mention 1969 coz thats when NS started , I maybe wrong ?

Soul Sam was always said to be ahead of his time !

According to the label, PT is June 1970 and SKOW was only the B side on the issues.

I think it may have first come through Soul Bowl, as I remember Poke playing it 1982-3, covered up as Lester Tompkins – Special Kind of Loving.

I also remember Tim Brown telling me something about some changes within the label (Stax?, Cotillion?) at the time which might have caused the PT to not get distributed.

Social source share

Guest Netspeaky

Loads and loads mate, bought as new release from 70's onwards, mostly from Soul Bowl, Record Corner or Voices they were cheaper than the rareties I wanted to buy. Including:

Innersection - 85p

Benny Troy - 85p

Flame N King - 85p

Raj - £1.25

Rumple-Stil-Skin - £1.25

Nolan Porter (If I Could Only Be Sure) - £1.25 (65p on UK Release)

Frankie Knuckles - £2

Jackson Sisters - £1.25 (65p on UK Release)

Clarence Carter - £1.25 (65p on UK Release)

Syl Johnson (Do You Know What Love Is - Red Label) 95p

And probably loads more I don't even know the value of. I could go on and on and on - but I won't. biggrin.gif

Funny though, even though these go for money these days I still don't regard them as "big records". Just great ones!

J.

I could never understand paying the extra for a US release when it was getting a UK release, it was worth waiting the extra few weeks to save a few pennies back then.

Social source share

Guest FrostyJak

I did buy the Sharonetts Going to a go go - BM as a new release, also the Flasher, Reaching for the best, and Weakspot. I knew I had taste back then. :thumbsup:

Ed

Never mind mate :thumbup: I DID AS WELL still got um if anyone whots um "FREE TO A GOOD HOME" :thumbup:

Social source share

I could never understand paying the extra for a US release when it was getting a UK release, it was worth waiting the extra few weeks to save a few pennies back then.

Oh mi gawd - I was robbed!!!!

If only I'd saved those pennies - my whole life could have been so different!

biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif:yes:

Edited by John Alden
Social source share

Don't know if British issues count under this thread but I bought the following on release in the UK.

Invitations - What's Wrong With Me Baby - Stateside

Chuck Jackson - Hand It Over (bought it for the A side Since I Don't Have You) - Pye Int

Willie Mitchell - That Driving Beat (B side of Everything's Gonna Be Alright, both sides played at the time) - London (I think, can't be bothered to find it)

Kim Weston - I'm Still Loving You - Stateside or Tamla Motown, again can't be bothered to look

Detroit Spinners - I'll Always Love You - Tamla Motown

Temptations - Why You Wanna Make Me Blue - Stateside

Various other Motown, Atlantic, etc.

Social source share

Especially Clarence Carter, last i heard US-£30, UK-£50, Think it was 99p when i got it. (Barbera Carr is better)

Social source share

i own up to buying some of these around 1976/7,tavares,heaven must be etc/dont take away the music.esther phillips,what a diff a day makes.miracles,love machine.the moments,ive got the need,also got the spooky+sue version around the same time,the zoo,the commodores.supership,george benson,the moments,nine times.betty wright, where is the love/love dont grow on a love tree.silvetti,spring rain,all big tunes in the day and most of these tunes played as new releases methinks

Social source share

Just remembered, bought loads of the Tamla Motown picture sleeves EPs when they came out, from the Record Bar in Burnley.

I pinned the sleeves on my bedroom wall under the posters I bought when I saw Stevie, 4 Tps, Temps etc in the very early 70ts!

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert