James Fountain

KevH

just thinking about James Fountain "Seven Day Lover".

Essentially its a funk track(imo),and been played for around 30+ years.

Now firmly under the Oldies wing of Northern,even classed as a Wigan oldie.

For me this record "broke the mould" at the time,nothing else musically was like it on the scene.

My question is...how would it fare on the scene now??.Would it be too funky for the Northern scene of today?

Which other tracks "broke the mould" for you?

Social source share

• Replies 20
  • Views 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

For me this record "broke the mould" at the time,nothing else musically was like it on the scene.

My question is...how would it fare on the scene now??.Would it be too funky for the Northern scene of today?

Sorry Pete, but

The Carstairs - It Really Hurts Me Girl - must be one

Mel Britt - She'll Come Running Back - Another

Social source share

Guest martyn

Hi Kev,Good post :thumbup: .I can't agree with you on this one though.I certainly wouldn't class Seven Day Lover as Funk or suggest that it was a record that was soooo different to others gettting spins at the time (Ie slower than, say, Anderson Bros,Mel Brit etc).

Having said that there were some very good uptempo funk records being played around that time (Cream Of The Crop-Andre Maurice,Biyo-Earth Wind & Fire,I Like To Party-Alpaca Phase iii,First Shot-Phase ii,to name but a few).Put that together with some of the 'off the wall' stuff of the time (French Fries,Todays People,Al Foster,Raw Soul,The Magic Band etc) & you have to say that it was certainly an interesting time wacko.gif

Social source share

I hear what you're saying on the 'funk' aspect Kev... but to me it's always been Pure Southern Soul!

Other Southern 'funky' records that broke the mould... how about Ann Sexton "You've Been Gone Too Long". Still sounds incredible after all these years... and certainly very different to a lot of big numbers around on the scene at the time.

I think if James Fountain had only just been discovered it would still become a Monster... particularly as some are actually playing more Funk oriented choons than ever before - and all are readily accepted.

:thumbup:

Sean

Social source share

Hi Kev,Good post :thumbup: .I can't agree with you on this one though.I certainly wouldn't class Seven Day Lover as Funk or suggest that it was a record that was soooo different to others gettting spins at the time (Ie slower than, say, Anderson Bros,Mel Brit etc).

Having said that there were some very good uptempo funk records being played around that time (Cream Of The Crop-Andre Maurice,Biyo-Earth Wind & Fire,I Like To Party-Alpaca Phase iii,First Shot-Phase ii,to name but a few).Put that together with some of the 'off the wall' stuff of the time (French Fries,Todays People,Al Foster,Raw Soul,The Magic Band etc) & you have to say that it was certainly an interesting time wacko.gif

i always thought 7DLover had more of a 60's feel than the others mentioned in your list.Alot of them were played during the period of the MECCA during "THE BIG CHANGE" :P .

MEL BRITT....now that's in a different league all together :D

Social source share

"summer in the parks"-east coast connection and "hip it"- hosanna,,but by then we'd come to expect stuff like that during the "disco period" .

I certainly wasn't ready for 7DLover when i first heard it.Head and shoulders......as was Ann Sexton Sean......

Social source share

It's a regular spin as an oldie down these parts for me and others - does pretty well, cos it's still a fantastic tune.

Social source share

Now then Kev, reluctant as I am to disagree with you, JF is a soul record with a hint of funk.

There were funkier records played, Willie J, Flaming Emeralds, Skull Snaps for example, and equally acceptable in my view, then and today.

When this kind of thing was played at Cleethorpes we just took it as being under the broad umbrella of northern along with the 60s stuff, and left the punters in the north west to argue about it.

JF gets played enough today, too much in some places, and I would like to hear more of the less fashionable 70s oldies played, perhaps instead of some of this crossover/elevator music.

It was good to hear a few at the recent Cleggy all-dayer, and also Mick playing Skullsnaps at Lifeline.

Social source share

Guest FrostyJak

One that stands out for me as being 'different ' to the norm at the time is:

Bobby Franklin - Ladies Choice - Fee

Good call DAVE

Just played parts 1 & 2

First time in years

Social source share

Must admit I never considered James Fountain to be anything even remotely close to funk! :unsure: Reminds me more of an Edison Lighthouse tune than funk. Well, the guitar riff does. The Black Truth Band - Butter Nut - now that's funk and if an old article by Pete Smith (I think) is anything to go by it was an Ian Levine spin at some point in the 70's (though when I asked Ian about this he denied it and said Funk was the devil's music, or something like that. Which doesn't necessarily mean it's a bad thing :unsure: )

Social source share

One that stands out for me as being 'different ' to the norm at the time is:

Bobby Franklin - Ladies Choice - Fee

Never really 'got' the funk thing but this and 7DL have always remained favourites.

good choice,both played at the same time.Supose what i mean by funk is that they didn't fit the style ie: 90mph/100mph,horn break,clapping point,etc...

7DL had the balls lyrically,the dirty horns,the breaks,"Ladies Choice" gave the balls to the ladies!! :unsure: .

btw DAVE,be careful,we'll be agreeing on everything next. :unsure:

Social source share

Guest martyn

i always thought 7DLover had more of a 60's feel than the others mentioned in your list.Alot of them were played during the period of the MECCA during "THE BIG CHANGE" :lol: .

MEL BRITT....now that's in a different league all together :lol:

cool.gif:lol: .......................................................Fair call ! :lol:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert