Wheel, Mecca, Torch - Film Footage ?

• Replies 14
  • Views 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

There is Super 8 footage of the Wheel shot by Ken White, who was a member of Jimmy Powell & The 5 Dimensions. This is of the Brazenose Street club. There are more details of this in Keith Rylatt's book Central 1179.

Chris Burton had no recollection of any film of the Torch when Mike Ritson and I interviewed him for The In Crowd.

Cheers

Stuart

Social source share

There is Super 8 footage of the Wheel shot by Ken White, who was a member of Jimmy Powell & The 5 Dimensions. This is of the Brazenose Street club. There are more details of this in Keith Rylatt's book Central 1179.

Chris Burton had no recollection of any film of the Torch when Mike Ritson and I interviewed him for The In Crowd.

Cheers

Stuart

Thanks Stuart, any chance of a You Tube type jobbie for the benefit of us - the public ? :thumbup:

Social source share

Cheers

Stuart

In respect of film footage of The Torch , Chris had discussed - albeit half heartedly - the idea of filming Major Lance's entire performance which was to be recorded for the live album , but it was shelved for unconfirmed reasons .....

Possibly the main reason why the filming was never realised , was due to the logistics / problems being encountered in making the sound recording - before it took place - that soured Chris' enthusiasm for doing so .........

In respect of the live album - celebrating its' 35th anniversary on December 9th - what happened to the other material that was recorded that night , but never made it onto the final album ?

As far as I know , there was no film footage ever taken of The Mecca : If there is any , Bryan Wakelin is the man to ask ......

Malc Burton

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

There was a documentary on TV about a year ago and was visiting old soul venues

i have forgotton what the documentary was called as i flicked through the channels about 11:30 one evening and lo and behold, footage of wigan, however they had people talking outside the locations of the wheel, the catacoombs and various other venues, they showed people dancing in the wheel, I had never seen the venue before so didnt realise how small it was, and showed clips of a couple of live artists, one i believe was lou Johnson (but i could be wrong)

There was even footage of people in the catacoombs but the quality of the film was poor to the point you could just make out people who were wearing white.

So there is some footage some where

Geeooooordie

Social source share

i have forgotton what the documentary was called as i flicked through the channels about 11:30 one evening and lo and behold, footage of wigan, however they had people talking outside the locations of the wheel, the catacoombs and various other venues, they showed people dancing in the wheel, I had never seen the venue before so didnt realise how small it was, and showed clips of a couple of live artists, one i believe was lou Johnson (but i could be wrong)

There was even footage of people in the catacoombs but the quality of the film was poor to the point you could just make out people who were wearing white.

Geeooooordie

The excerpt showing the Wheel , is likely to have been Ken White's super 8 footage , as mentioned by Stuart Russell .....

Malc Burton

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

Geeooooordie

:yes: WOW !!! Would love to see that !

Social source share

• 3 years later...
Guest martyn

Found this on youtube footage from Root and Jenny Jackson at Plebs in Halifax...there's also footage of Junior Walker at The Ram Jam Club...so it's out there.

Thats brilliant footage :sleep3: Well before my time though

Social source share

I have lifted this from The Twisted Wheel site. This by Keith Rylatt.

While researching for CENtral 1179 I came across a guy called Ken White. Ken had been a guitarist in Jimmy Powell & the Five Dimensions (page 60 in the book). He had been bought a Super 8 cine camera for his 18th birthday and Ken commenced filming at the gigs he played in the mid 60s. Intrigued, I made the long trip to his place on Bodmin Moor and was treated to feast of footage from clubs in Liverpool to the Starlight in Hull. And of course, the Wheel in Manchester and Blackpool. All in colour too! I loaned my copy of the Wheel stuff to a TV production company in London and never got it back. There are however various stills from it in the book.

Ken knows exactly what he is sitting on but ten years on, I've no idea if he plans to do anything commercially.

www.twistedwheel.net.

Social source share

Nationwide may have done it around 78/79 when Chris Rea released his album Deltics which had a track called Twisted Wheel which was his tribute to watching his older brother visit The Wheel.In77 Nationwide did a segment on a typical day in Scarborough on a bank holiday and captured the scooter rally there...that's something I would like to see. Anyway here the Junior Walker clipn from the Ram Jam Club

https://www.youtube.c...h?v=LWdRvyr9Jic

Edited by wiggyflat
Social source share

Nationwide may have done it around 78/79...

No, it was well before then. I was a kid then and possibly rather oddly Nationwide was my favourite TV programme! Thought of a 'twisted wheel' was very funny, not to mention unusual. The notion of it stayed with me as did whatever visuals they showed. It would be years later, when I got into Northern Soul c. 1980, before I would hear the name again, this time in relation to the club. When I did, the first thing I thought of was the TV segment from years prior and the penny dropped - that's what the segment was about.

Could be false memories, of course, but as I say, it was around 30 years ago that I became aware that I'd seen something about Northern Soul & the Twisted Wheel on telly. To me it was very real indeed.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert