In It To Win It

chrissie

One of the contestants on In It To Win (Lottery show), Johnny, wants to win 20k to replace his northern soul collection he got rid of years ago.

Would you buy, lots of records at the lower end of the price range or just a few big ticket numbers, bearing in mind he has got rid of his whole collection so is starting from scratch.

oh, and Good Luck Johnny thumbup.gif , at least the money would be spent on something sensible instead of paying off the mortgage or fancy holiday or summut :thumbsup:

QoFxx

Social source share

• Replies 30
  • Views 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Guest Cher1962

:thumbsup:

I would buy lots of records at the cheaper end of the scale but ones I really liked and would give me pleasure rather than just a few big money ones!

Must admit though I would be one of those boring people and pay off my debts first! Having no money worries would give me more pleasure I think (but saying that I have got over 300 records at the cheaper end of the price range already which give me a lot of pleasure so that is easy to say I suppose).

Take it you are in this weekend too Chrissie.... bar of choccy and settee here I come!

Cheryl smile.gif

Social source share

:thumbsup:

I would buy lots of records at the cheaper end of the scale but ones I really liked and would give me pleasure rather than just a few big money ones!

Must admit though I would be one of those boring people and pay off my debts first! Having no money worries would give me more pleasure I think (but saying that I have got over 300 records at the cheaper end of the price range already which give me a lot of pleasure so that is easy to say I suppose).

Take it you are in this weekend too Chrissie.... bar of choccy and settee here I come!

Cheryl smile.gif

Think I would do the same as you but there are a couple of 200-300 ones I wouldn't mind :lol:

QoFxx

Yep, staying in now till the Kent Record do on the 19th.

Social source share

One of the contestants on In It To Win (Lottery show), Johnny, wants to win 20k to replace his northern soul collection he got rid of years ago.

Would you buy, lots of records at the lower end of the price range or just a few big ticket numbers, bearing in mind he has got rid of his whole collection so is starting from scratch.

oh, and Good Luck Johnny thumbup.gif , at least the money would be spent on something sensible instead of paying off the mortgage or fancy holiday or summut :thumbsup:

QoFxx

Well, i was thinking of a ticket to watch Wales in the quarter finals of the world cup, but :lol:

Wouldn't just go for big ticket but would be nice to buy a few that are presently out of my price range :yes:

'Marie Knight - That's no way to treat a girl' would be a deffinate, i'm determined to get it one day. Only £200 ish but still too much for me these days.

Other deffinates would be Willie Wade, Tommy Tate, Curtis Lee- Is she in your town, Tommy Dodson, a few Roy Hamilton's, George Freeman, Willie Kendrick - Change Your Ways, Willie Hutch & probably the most expensive would be Job opening or a Salvadors original.

Social source share

Well he now has just over 16k to spend on records. Well done chap biggrin.gif

QoFxx

Good boy Johnny!

Personally I'd buy some big ticket items that I really desire,and have a nice D.J box....but with today's over inflated prices 16k won't go far.

There are still some great 45s to be had at the cheaper end Johnny will be better off getting a collection of those together.

Well done Johnny, and a nice bloke too...did you see the tears in his eyes when the other contestants fell by the wayside.

Social source share

QoFxx

Yes indeed tip of the cap to you sir KTF

Social source share

Good boy Johnny!

Personally I'd buy some big ticket items that I really desire,and have a nice D.J box....but with today's over inflated prices 16k won't go far.

There are still some great 45s to be had at the cheaper end Johnny will be better off getting a collection of those together.

Well done Johnny, and a nice bloke too...did you see the tears in his eyes when the other contestants fell by the wayside.

yes.gif Agree.

To be honest i don't think i would like to be rich enough to afford anything ! As we have said before the thrill is in the chase & eeking out a good cheapie that you don't have can bring just as much pleasure !

Had a good week myself this week, not very flushed at the moment & haven't had anything come in for a couple of months but had 5 cheap tunes that really pleased me this week !

One lot was a batch of 4 demo's all in pretty good nick for $40, which at the moment equates to no more than £21 ! they were ;

Tempests - Can't Get You Out Of My Mind/ What You Gonna Do- Smash

Barbara & Brenda - If I'm Hurt You'll Feel The Pain - Dynamo (actualy that one wasn't a demo )

Brenda & the Tabulations - Hey Boy/When You're Gone - Dion

Al & Randy - Miscalculation/Mission Impossible - Mercury

All apart from Barbara & Brenda had good b sides too :thumbsup:

& another demo on Veep - Bill Pinkney & the Originals - I Found Some Lovin'

Not much to serious collectors but probably lifted me just as high as picking up a Job Opening which i have heard thousands of times anyhow .

Social source share

Well, i was thinking of a ticket to watch Wales in the quarter finals of the world cup, but unsure.gif

:yes:

Wouldn't just go for big ticket but would be nice to buy a few that are presently out of my price range :lol:

'Marie Knight - That's no way to treat a girl' would be a deffinate, i'm determined to get it one day. Only £200 ish but still too much for me these days.

Other deffinates would be Willie Wade, Tommy Tate, Curtis Lee- Is she in your town, Tommy Dodson, a few Roy Hamilton's, George Freeman, Willie Kendrick - Change Your Ways, Willie Hutch & probably the most expensive would be Job opening or a Salvadors original.

I would probably stock up on a few I want round the 50-60 mark then some bigger 150 - 400ish stuff, not everyones cup of tea but

Firday Brown - 32nd Love Affair

Linda Griner - Good bye cruel love

Carol Fredricks - I couldn't care less

Shirley Lawson - So much to me

Diane Pane - What SIde You Bread is buttered on

Sheila Furgeson - ANd In return

errrrrrrrr bit of a girlie vocal thing going on there :thumbsup:

But have to keep it in mind this guy is starting from scratch again.

QoFxx

Social source share

yes.gif Agree.

To be honest i don't think i would like to be rich enough to afford anything ! As we have said before the thrill is in the chase & eeking out a good cheapie that you don't have can bring just as much pleasure !

Had a good week myself this week, not very flushed at the moment & haven't had anything come in for a couple of months but had 5 cheap tunes that really pleased me this week !

One lot was a batch of 4 demo's all in pretty good nick for $40, which at the moment equates to no more than £21 ! they were ;

Tempests - Can't Get You Out Of My Mind/ What You Gonna Do- Smash

Barbara & Brenda - If I'm Hurt You'll Feel The Pain - Dynamo (actualy that one wasn't a demo )

Brenda & the Tabulations - Hey Boy/When You're Gone - Dion

Al & Randy - Miscalculation/Mission Impossible - Mercury

All apart from Barbara & Brenda had good b sides too :thumbsup:

& another demo on Veep - Bill Pinkney & the Originals - I Found Some Lovin'

Not much to serious collectors but probably lifted me just as high as picking up a Job Opening which i have heard thousands of times anyhow .

Just bought this very cheap - 99p, not fantastically good copy but good enough for me :lol:

QoFxx

Edited by chrissie
Social source share

Just bought this very cheap - 99p, not fantastically good copy but good enough for me :thumbsup:

QoFxx

Lovely tune ain't it yes.gif I thought i had a copy in my collection already but couldn't find it. It wasn't a demo though anyhow so i was well pleased at paying $8 for one !

Social source share

Guest WPaulVanDyk

depends how much you win but given if you win a fair sum ie 1 million i would buy pretty much loads of cheapies aswell as all the nice rarities i ever want but i was only fortunate to win a few thousand pounds i might only buy 1 or 2 at the say 200 price range cause then i can buy loads at £10 and so on.

Social source share

depends how much you win but given if you win a fair sum ie 1 million i would buy pretty much loads of cheapies aswell as all the nice rarities i ever want but i was only fortunate to win a few thousand pounds i might only buy 1 or 2 at the say 200 price range cause then i can buy loads at £10 and so on.

The amount this guy won was about 16.5K so thats your budget biggrin.gif

QoFxx

Social source share

Guest WPaulVanDyk

half of the top dollar rarities i want ie £100 - £1,000 records then the rest on cheapies ie £10 - £100 simple. maybe it's wise to spend up to say 10,000 then save 6,000 on records £10 and under you will get so much more then just a few in the end

if you wanted you could try and buy the one Frank Wilson for your whole sum but not sure anyone would do that

Social source share

half of the top dollar rarities i want ie £100 - £1,000 records then the rest on cheapies ie £10 - £100 simple. maybe it's wise to spend up to say 10,000 then save 6,000 on records £10 and under you will get so much more then just a few in the end

if you wanted you could try and buy the one Frank Wilson for your whole sum but not sure anyone would do that

I think it all depends what he wants to do with the records. If he wants to DJ it'll all go on rarer end stuff £100+, and his 16.5K won't go far. If he wants to have a nice collection of Soul records you can get an awful lot of vinyl for 16.5K.

Guessing though, if he's not currently on the scene, I'd say he will probably spend a fair chunk on some big money Oldies because if he sold up years ago those will be the records he remembers, so they will be the ones he wants. Trouble is, the reason Oldies have rocketed in price over the last few years is because there are lots of people who sold up years ago and now have a bit of wedge available to them and are buying back the sounds they remember.

If it was me with 16.5K I'd settle my mortgage off, clear the credit cards, and then waste the rest on beer probably, but if I had to spend it on records I'd add probably twenty records to my DJ box, but then again I'm well known as a DJ prostitute laugh.gif:thumbsup:

Social source share

I think it all depends what he wants to do with the records. If he wants to DJ it'll all go on rarer end stuff £100+, and his 16.5K won't go far. If he wants to have a nice collection of Soul records you can get an awful lot of vinyl for 16.5K.

Guessing though, if he's not currently on the scene, I'd say he will probably spend a fair chunk on some big money Oldies because if he sold up years ago those will be the records he remembers, so they will be the ones he wants. Trouble is, the reason Oldies have rocketed in price over the last few years is because there are lots of people who sold up years ago and now have a bit of wedge available to them and are buying back the sounds they remember.

If it was me with 16.5K I'd settle my mortgage off, clear the credit cards, and then waste the rest on beer probably, but if I had to spend it on records I'd add probably twenty records to my DJ box, but then again I'm well known as a DJ prostitute laugh.gif:thumbsup:

I think you have a point there.

WOnder if anyone on here knows him then we can all be put out of our misery and let us see what he did actually buy.

QoFxx

Social source share

If he doesn't want to be a tosser and please others, then the answer is simple:

Buy what you love!

If I ever had the misfortune of having to rebuild my collection and had a certain amount to do it with, then I'd write a list of all my favourites in order and start at the top until you hit about 150% of the value. Chances are, you won't buy all your records quick (unless you're prepared to pay too much) and you may not find some for years, so have a few in reserve. Plus it might be nice to earn some interest while you wait and enjoy the hunt :thumbsup:

Walking in with a fist full of cash and getting all you want, cheapens it a bit - coz part of the emotional tie with my vinyl comes from the pain of saving for it and not letting many get away :D

m

Social source share

Walking in with a fist full of cash and getting all you want, cheapens it a bit - coz part of the emotional tie with my vinyl comes from the pain of saving for it and not letting many get away :thumbsup:

m

Totally agree, its a great feeling when you have saved up for that special record then managed to find it, all part of the game IMHO :D

QoFxx

Social source share

Guest WPaulVanDyk

ok to buy big ones for DJing but why not bother and play out what you like. some people these days won't do that, they have to the big records so they play it safe and can't be told your crap then

Social source share

oh, and Good Luck Johnny :rolleyes: , at least the money would be spent on something sensible instead of paying off the mortgage or fancy holiday or summut :(

QoFxx

mix it up.. i would just go out and start buying what I remember and what I loved.. from the Leroy Hutson's to the King Tutt's... sorry, I'm a 7T's soulboy!!

Social source share

The amount this guy won was about 16.5K so thats your budget :(

QoFxx

Might just be able too get this years 100 club anniversary record for that,he might have enough left over for a KFC :rolleyes:

Edited by ken
Social source share

I would clear a few debts put some away for a rainy day. Then take up the offer from a dealer in the states i buy from to go visit and go through the 30,000 45s they have in stock , probably use 5k of the money for that trip.

Derek

Social source share

ok to buy big ones for DJing but why not bother and play out what you like. some people these days won't do that, they have to the big records so they play it safe and can't be told your crap then

Its not the price of the record its the soul of the music inside it some of my fave records are £5 - £10 anyone says your crap for playing them is a f***ing arsehole oh just bought a record for £5 ernie andrews where were you class and cheap so to the guy who won the cash just buy what sounds good to you

post-8405-1191357829_thumb.jpg

Social source share

Its not the price of the record its the soul of the music inside it some of my fave records are £5 - £10 anyone says your crap for playing them is a f***ing arsehole oh just bought a record for £5 ernie andrews where were you class and cheap so to the guy who won the cash just buy what sounds good to you

post-8405-1191357829_thumb.jpg

I can beat that, just got Brenda & the Tabulations Hey Boy for 99p :thumbup: Got to be my buy of the year!!! :wub:

QoFxx

Social source share

Guest WPaulVanDyk

but not so much how much you pay but i notice that i see Ruby Andrews, Marv Johnson, Paul Anka and so on it's all the same song cause they know it's dog rare yet i never hear any of there stuff that's worth less.

but you see i have djed once and i didn't bother to worry what others thought i even played Third Finger Left Hand which most might think too commercial.

Social source share

Guest ScooterNik

I'd sit down and make a long list of records I love with no reference to cost, or without trying to put them in order of preferance. Then I'd decide what I'd be willing to pay for a copy. Anything within 125% of this gets bought as it comes up, but i wouldn't get involved in eBay type bidding battles, as once my name became known everything I bid on would most likely get pushed up as psople would expect me to chase it to the limit.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert