Headphones For Djs

Andybellwood

As an occasional DJ , the lack of headphones , quality or simply incompatability sometimes causes me a bit of personal grief .

So I 've decided to invest in my own headphones which I can take along and use if necessary . Any advice on what's available , tried and tested and relative merits would be appreciated .

Social source share

• Replies 44
  • Views 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

As an occasional DJ , the lack of headphones , quality or simply incompatability sometimes causes me a bit of personal grief .

So I 've decided to invest in my own headphones which I can take along and use if necessary . Any advice on what's available , tried and tested and relative merits would be appreciated .

I've got a model from this https://www.sennheiser.com/sennheiser/icm.nsf

A bit expensive, but very good...

Social source share

just a normal pair of earphones does the trick ph34r.gif

Social source share

Only advice I can give is this; if your a little deaf like me then get a set that cover the whole ear, cut's down on external noise - I use the Koss Pro04AA Titanium for normal do's or the Sony joddies for the House set's.

Either way spend more then £25:00, the better the headphone the more money you'll need to spend, you'll notice the difference in the long term wink.gif

Social source share

Sennheiser are very good but here's a tip...

When I used to DJ in mainstream clubs I modified a pair of headphones to make it just one padded headphone (with left and right channels into one) with a strong cable which was similar to a guitar lead.

It was great for beat mixing, cueing the next track on the "phone" in my left ear while also listening to the current track over the club PA with my right ear. I found it better than using conventional headphones with two stereo channels routed to one headphone output.

Another benefit is that you can cue records or beats while also being able to hear people talking to you with requests etc. Also, the single headphone doesn't mess up your trendy hairstyle (delete if not applicable) and it can also be used by people who only have one ear.

:)

But for northern soul DJs, however, most records are played from the beginning so all you need is an LED channel display on the mixer so you can visually cue the start of the next track.

Paul Mooney

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

why do you need headphones for DJing????...oh I know so you can play some good stuff off CD to yourself while the punters dance to your hot box....

to accurately cue records up :)

Social source share

to accurately cue records up :)

Oh yes I've noticed people throwing eggs and tomatoes at DJs because there was a second of silence between the end of one and the start of the next....that's right cue it up drag back and fcuk up the first 10 seconds of all your records.

Edited by Rbman
Social source share

why do you need headphones for DJing????...oh I know so you can play some good stuff off CD to yourself while the punters dance to your hot box....

:):thumbsup:

sometimes Martin the odd Dj needs to take his bloody blindfold off to aswel as his ipod :thumbsup:

Social source share

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

sometimes Martin the odd Dj needs to take his bloody blindfold off to aswel as his ipod :lol:

Followed someone once who was sweating profusely (and who'll remain nameless for now :thumbsup: ) - god those headphones were all wet where his ears had been and disgusting! I just couldn't bear putting those wet phones on my ears so that's when I rapidly taught myself the Mark Bicknell approach of "visual cueing" :)

Social source share

Followed someone once who was sweating profusely (and who'll remain nameless for now :thumbsup: ) - god those headphones were all wet where his ears had been and disgusting! I just couldn't bear putting those wet phones on my ears so that's when I rapidly taught myself the Mark Bicknell approach of "visual cueing" :thumbsup:

:lol: i cant think of anything worse than someone elses sweat all over you :):thumbsup::lol:

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

and it isn't that hard is it.....

each to their own really , as a promoter i'd never dream of not having a pair in place and it is definitely a minority who don't use them .

there are tunes that take more cueing than others and headphones are vital for that

Social source share

Oh yes I've noticed people throwing eggs and tomatoes at DJs because there was a second of silence between the end of one and the start of the next....that's right cue it up drag back and fcuk up the first 10 seconds of all your records.

I'm with you!

As long as you're not into beat mixing I really don't see the point in using headphones.

I know I don't want to rub my records back and forth just to cue them in!

And it's nice to have a couple of seconds between the records so the dancers can rest and do some applauds! :)

Social source share

I'm with you!

As long as you're not into beat mixing I really don't see the point in using headphones.

I know I don't want to rub my records back and forth just to cue them in!

And it's nice to have a couple of seconds between the records so the dancers can rest and do some applauds! :)

Never back cue my records, you just cue them up two or three times to see when the sound starts, and for that I prefer headphones. Don't like gaps, don't think it sounds professional. Of course you can talk jibberish until the record starts I spose.

Social source share

Only advice I can give is this; if your a little deaf like me then get a set that cover the whole ear, cut's down on external noise - I use the Koss Pro04AA Titanium for normal do's or the Sony joddies for the House set's.

Either way spend more then £25:00, the better the headphone the more money you'll need to spend, you'll notice the difference in the long term :thumbup:

That explaines your penchant for this modern soulful house stuff then Lloydee !! :lol::thumbup::thumbup:

Have to admit i still prefer 'closed backs' for home listening too ! They say that open & semi closed are more dynamic, but what's the point if you can hear everything else in the room & you keep getting moaned at because everyone else in the room can hear what you are listening to !!

Sennheiser are my weapons of choice, can't remember the model as they recently died (beyond worthwhile repair) HD220 rings a bell, just a good quality closed back.

At the moment i am using my son's which are actualy Sennheiser's phones targeted at the mobile DJ, model HD215. They have one earpiece which flips back, enabling you to hear what's coming out of the speakers too & most importantly (as someone else pointed out) the lead has a plug at both ends so you can't accidently get the wires ripped out of the phones !

They arn't that expensive for the quality either, around the £40 mark if i remember correctly.

Social source share

I never backtrack my records, which you tend to do with headphones, this can cause damage to the record, especially styrene. I set the record going with the volume off and when I have finished talking just fade up the volume, always works well, but remember not to talk to long!

Social source share

Guest sasquatch

Please do yourself a favour and DO NOT buy MDR-V500's. The plastic hinges that connect the earphone to the headband break constantly.

I notice they were mentioned above. Skip both those models if you go with Sony (I won't again) and get the Studio Montior model that is in between those two, they are much more sturdy and will withstand packing and usage better.

Edited by sasquatch
Social source share

I never backtrack my records, which you tend to do with headphones, this can cause damage to the record, especially styrene. I set the record going with the volume off and when I have finished talking just fade up the volume, always works well, but remember not to talk to long!

right on......I've purchased too many records where the first 5 seconds of the tune have been screwed up by the silly passion to cue spot on.

It is very easy to visually cue without headphones.

I provide a very cheap pair of phones for those who want/need to cue with sound.

Social source share

I always recommend "Andy Rix Ears" best in the business......................

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert