Northern Soul H Q Outside The Uk ?

Sunnysoul

What if the rare soul scene evolved/developed in such a way that the central focus of the scene, geographically speaking , was centred somewhere OUTSIDE the UK ;

with the biggest (and youngest) crowds, leading collectors and DJ's , best venues and events , most talented dancers located elsewhwere ....

Would that be far too unbearable to contemplate ???? :)

Edited by sunnysoul
Social source share

• Replies 76
  • Views 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

What if the rare soul scene evolved/developed in such a way that the central focus of the scene, geographically speaking , was centred somewhere OUTSIDE the UK ;

with the biggest (and youngest) crowds, leading collectors and DJ's , best venues and events , most talented dancers located elsewhwere ....

Some people have already mentioned the 'younger' and more enthusiastic crowds in the rest of Europe (Spain & Germany spring to mind).

I know the scene in the USA is also 'younger'.

Just makes you think that the scene is gonna survive (when we're all gone) outside the UK :D .

Was actually talking to a couple of record shop owners yesterday, they claim the youngsters biggest wants are heavy metal & prog rock....but they are not prepared to pay high prices. They also tell me that rock n' roll has died a death.....

makes you think....

Social source share

Guest Una Scot-Oz

Some of us don't live in the UK anymore, so our HQ and scene is elsewhere. It's still thriving and evolving and attracting newcomers.

Social source share

If they get as much enjoyment out of it as I have over the years fair play :) ,same music different scene & venues without the baggage sounds as if it would attract more kids

Social source share

Guest Una Scot-Oz

If they get as much enjoyment out of it as I have over the years fair play :) ,same music different scene & venues without the baggage sounds as if it would attract more kids

Some of it is the same, as in most of us used to be in to the scene in the UK, are hitting 50 but really enjoy it again. There are some Australians and other nationalities who have taken it to their hearts too, as well as some second generation and young 'uns.

We do of course, like to make a fuss of any visitors from the UK and most of us will go out of our way to meet up with them. (Even if we haven't met them before!) It's amazing how we can spot them a mile off!

It is definately a smaller scene, and the distances are much further apart, but it is really closeknit and like being part of a family. We are every bit as obsessed as you lot. :D

Social source share

Some of it is the same, as in most of us used to be in to the scene in the UK, are hitting 50 but really enjoy it again. There are some Australians and other nationalities who have taken it to their hearts too, as well as some second generation and young 'uns.

We do of course, like to make a fuss of any visitors from the UK and most of us will go out of our way to meet up with them. (Even if we haven't met them before!) It's amazing how we can spot them a mile off!

It is definately a smaller scene, and the distances are much further apart, but it is really closeknit and like being part of a family. We are every bit as obsessed as you lot. :D

Would that be the socks n' sandals!!! :)

Social source share

As long as you have places to go with good music, and friendly sincere people it doesn't matter......Anyway the Europeans have a younger crowd, some great DJ's in Germany, Spain, Italy and Scandanavia (don't know about France not been there to a gig yet), so for me it doesn't matter>

Although I've been to Oz, USA etc never been to a soul venue there. Steve

Social source share

Guest Black Gold of the Sun

I,ve been to Sweden,Italy and Spain in the last few months to northern/rare/modern soul events and you cant fault the enthusiasm and commitment of everyone involved,and of course,everyone is much younger than the average U.K soul fan.A big plus is ,admittedly from a visitors point of view is the absence of politics/infighting etc.

Edited by Black Gold of the Sun
Social source share

Guest Una Scot-Oz

Would that be the socks n' sandals!!! :)

:D Well we had to meet up with Sam Evans and Andy Baskett in a crowded pub and I walked straight over to them. (That was before I even spotted Sam's bag :wicked: ) They had that "Northern" look about them!

Social source share

Would that be far too unbearable to contemplate ???? :ohmy:

Not likely to happen ....I've been to nights abroad and granted there's some great collectors/djs out there but compared to the UK events and enthusiasts they are few and far between....okay you may go to Sweden/italy and have a great night but it's not like that every week...you'll probably only get a decent night 2 or 3 times a year. Just ask Olof...he was on northern soul overdose when he stayed over here for a couple of months recently!

Social source share

Two or three decent nights a year?

Don't think so.

In Spain's case, Madrid & Barcelona clubs alone, hold regular club sessions (Boiler & SMART).

The problem is the size of the country, so attending any venue involves a major trek, particularly in my case.

Don't think a month goes by without there being something interesting to check out.

I get the impression that in the UK these days, one has to sort the wheat from the chaff a bit.

I must admit, I love the Spanish spin on the Rare Soul Scene.

There's that beat & the tapas too, if the tortilla makes you feel like I do, you gotta scoff some too etc;

Social source share

Don't think so.

In Spain's case, Madrid & Barcelona clubs alone, hold regular club sessions (Boiler & SMART).

The problem is the size of the country, so attending any venue involves a major trek, particularly in my case.

Don't think a month goes by without there being something interesting to check out.

I get the impression that in the UK these days, one has to sort the wheat from the chaff a bit.

There's that beat & the tapas too, if the tortilla makes you feel like I do, you gotta scoff some too etc;

And I believe the Euro scene is much more Scooter and Smart 60s influenced? :ohmy: Rare Soul....Smart Clothes......Italian Scooters....decent Ska.......or have I heard wrong? :huh:

Social source share

And I believe the Euro scene is much more Scooter and Smart 60s influenced? :thumbsup: Rare Soul....Smart Clothes......Italian Scooters....decent Ska.......or have I heard wrong? :thumbup:

Most of the people came off the scooter scene in the early 80's it might be fair to say, but in many cases they have progressed - unfettered as far as I can see by scene politics that seems to dog so much of our scene, and of course the "oldies only" culture that is inbred here. Those that are on it now seem to me to be an "up for it" crowd, who just enjoy their music and company. I am sure I've got rose tinted specs on this morning, but that's the way it seems whenever I've been abroad. Steve

Social source share

I'm also struck by the commitment on the US funk-soul scene where people are generally younger and where the depth of awareness of local releases from 60s and '70s is remarkable. Just for example Washington DC area sites and Ohio area are listed below.

https://www.dcsoulrecordings.com/index.php

https://www.ohiosoulrecordings.com/p.htm

Edited by soulfulsaint
Social source share

I'm also struck by the commitment on the US funk-soul scene where people are generally younger and where the depth of awareness of local releases from 60s and '70s is remarkable. Just for example Washington DC area sites and Ohio area are listed below.

Some of the traditional 60's only UK die hards may recoil in horror , and it's been said before but there is definitely an increasing influence from DJ's from other areas of the black music scene, eg James Trouble, with the effect that northern soul fans in the UK are looking more and more to crossover/modern and even funk. For example, not unthinkable that Keb Darge might return to the northern scene one day but actually play a set of his funk/disco-soul tunes as an accepted part of the northern scene. It's a process that has already been taking place in Europe for some time now.

Social source share

Don't think so.

Yep but compared to the Uk (and if we include the UK mod scene,funk scene and all those things in between)...there's no comparision venue volume wise. Okay there are a lot of nights that hardly set the world on fire but there are also a lot that do. 12 or so venues a year....try that every Saturday! At least....I know it's overkill and quality is better than quantity and all that but it's still better and we have just as many younger people with a passing interest or more as anywhere else...I can name dozens of under 30s on here (including my husband) who collect, dj and regularly attend venues so lets stop saying how the UK scene is dying and everywhere else is better. Europe and the rest of the world may have a great soul scene going on but hey so (still) have we :thumbup::thumbsup:

Edited by Reg
Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

As long as you have places to go with good music, and friendly sincere people it doesn't matter......Anyway the Europeans have a younger crowd, some great DJ's in Germany, Spain, Italy and Scandanavia (don't know about France not been there to a gig yet), so for me it doesn't matter>

Although I've been to Oz, USA etc never been to a soul venue there. Steve

France has got a good soul scene - Perpignan, Paris and a couple of do's up in the North. Stephane and Lionel do a night in Paris and both have outstanding collections. Europe has been 'souling' for years - Gerhardt in Frankfurt, Michel Fuchs in Nurnberg, Benji in Munich, Roccia in Pisa, Barbara in Genoa, Andrea in Rimini/ Vicenza, Soulful Cris, Eduardo, the Barcelona lot - they've all been promoting and djing at European events. Dave Rimmer and John Weston are regulars at Nurnberg and Ady Lupton djs in Spain a fair bit....and ofcourse there's the Rimini Soul Weekender.....I'm off to get a camper van - soul and sun :thumbsup::thumbup: Jo

Edited by vinylvixen
Social source share

I admit that have found it interesting to read these messages , but I remain puzzzled .

Please feel free to explain but in what context can the central theme of soul music be geographical ( not soulful or musical ) ?

Just a thought .Give it a whirl !

Sorry, I have spent too many years reading too much into things and decided that things are not as complicated as they may at first seem .

:thumbsup:

Social source share

Some of the traditional 60's only UK die hards may recoil in horror , and it's been said before but there is definitely an increasing influence from DJ's from other areas of the black music scene, eg James Trouble, with the effect that northern soul fans in the UK are looking more and more to crossover/modern and even funk. For example, not unthinkable that Keb Darge might return to the northern scene one day but actually play a set of his funk/disco-soul tunes as an accepted part of the northern scene. It's a process that has already been taking place in Europe for some time now.

I think that's enitirely possible and there's no doubt it would divide opinion but so did the Mecca and Cleethorpes and Stafford, divided opinion around the core of great rare soul is the heartbeat of the scene not its death. Bring it on.

Social source share

I admit that have found it interesting to read these messages , but I remain puzzzled .

Please feel free to explain but in what context can the central theme of soul music be geographical ( not soulful or musical ) ?

Just a thought .Give it a whirl !

Sorry, I have spent too many years reading too much into things and decided that things are not as complicated as they may at first seem .

:rolleyes:

I'll have a go. The music I love is the music of urban black America but the way it has been listened too, danced too and consumed in Europe differs enormously from place to place. Northern Soul was significantly different from the commerical soul that dominated most southern UK cities in the '70s, Belgian Popcorn is clearly a million miles from Belgian techno, and the mixing of music styles in the scooter scene of Europe is different from the more purist soul scenes of the north. I could bore forever on this. Maybe the biggest geographic difference of all was Detroit and Memphis, two great cities co-existing but creating very different sounds, Motown drifting away from R&B and Memphis sticking to it. Simplistic in part but true. So I would argue that geography is important although clearly not as important as 'soul' itself

Edited by soulfulsaint
Social source share

There's quite a lot of us in the UK who aren't 60s diehard you know!...Blimey here we go again...UK soul fans are too backward to accept anything but 60s oldies as we're far too old and set in our ways. For crying out loud WE'RE NOT ALL LIKE THAT!!!!! Okay the European soul scene are less blinkered about what they will dance to? Young people will dance to anything....Delegates of Soul one minute...get up I feel like a bloody sex machine the next..I know it may seem hard to believe but not all of us need anybody to tell us that soul music is not just oldies you know!!

Edited by Mrs Bergman
Social source share

Guest andyrattigan

I lived in Barcelona a few years back and Eduardo Domingo organised some great events. The music policy was very broad minded mixing Northern/Modern Soul and funk all in the one room and the crowd lapping it up.

Great stuff :unsure:

Social source share

Personally I think if the Northern Soul HQ moves anywhere it's going to be Germany. A big, big scene that supports loads of Soul nights and at least five weekenders a year that I can think of off the top of my head: Nurenberg (Running as a weekender for over ten years now), Hamburg (Less than a fortnight to go :unsure: ), Frankfurt, Bamberg, and Lubeck (Where N/S was the smallest room out of five and there were getting on for 3000 people on site), and whilst it might have all started from the Scooter scene, it's definitely evolved into a Soul scene now with very little scooter scene promotional involvement.

Some of the German DJs are also top notch and could work regularly at top allnighters over here because they have the records and style to match the best of the UK's DJs. Ten years ago that wasn't the case, but the top German guys have spent just as much time, effort, and money as the top UK guys over the last few years which is an achievement to be proud of because don't forget that it's nearly all a foreign language for them !

I've been DJing in Germany for ten years now, and I love it. No politics, no oldies, no newies, just good Soul and R & B. Overall the country tends to be cleaner than the UK so there's virtually no litter blowing around in the streets, you feel safer in the cities, and the beer and food are usually superb. What's more nearly everyone speaks English which really helps this ignorant old git who never bothered learning German when he had the chance thirty years ago at school. I've got a reasonable grasp of French, but I've never DJ'ed there laugh.gif

Social source share

Personally I think if the Northern Soul HQ moves anywhere it's going to be Germany....Hamburg (Less than a fortnight to go :unsure: )

Overall the country tends to be cleaner than the UK so there's virtually no litter blowing around in the streets, you feel safer in the cities...

Hi Dave,

I agree with your whole statements apart from the start of the scene. The first `Soul Allnighter` happened 1983 up north (and it`s still running after 24 years in a row).

...but Hamburg-St. Pauli is absolutely contrary to your descriptions about a clean and safe place (love it!). No real danger...but...you`ll find out for your own in 10 days!

See you at the Airport

Ralf

Social source share

Would that be far too unbearable to contemplate ???? :thumbsup:

Hypothetical ! It aint ever going to happen (IMHO of course) :shades:

Social source share

Not likely to happen ....I've been to nights abroad and granted there's some great collectors/djs out there but compared to the UK events and enthusiasts they are few and far between....okay you may go to Sweden/italy and have a great night but it's not like that every week...you'll probably only get a decent night 2 or 3 times a year. Just ask Olof...he was on northern soul overdose when he stayed over here for a couple of months recently!

X Hi Sharon hope all well over there. he he hmm can you not overdo northern soul ?? its just too good :shades: . Had good nights every weekend when I was over and missing them a lot. Very right what you say above. A bit more than 2, 3 times a year though . at least once a month in Gothenburg

I´m soon starting a work ( RIP Freedom, Hello Prostitution ) that will give me the chance to travel more as I´m off for 6 days in a row every 2nd week incl weekend so hope to get some sprung wooden soon :thumbsup:

Social source share

X Hi Sharon hope all well over there. he he hmm can you not overdo northern soul ?? its just too good :lol: . Had good nights every weekend when I was over and missing them a lot. Very right what you say above. A bit more than 2, 3 times a year though . at least once a month in Gothenburg

I´m soon starting a work ( RIP Freedom, Hello Prostitution ) that will give me the chance to travel more as I´m off for 6 days in a row every 2nd week incl weekend so hope to get some sprung wooden soon :thumbsup:

Think im on the same boat as Olof was but as he says, can you overdo northern soul? i'll try...until then i think i'll move to Honolulu and start a few northern nights and get the New HQ of Northern soul firmly established in the sun!!. :lol:

oh i think we've all forgotten somewhere!! IRELAND! not that im bias but hey after Honolulu i couldnt think of anywhere better :shades:thumbsup.gif now i want you all to report back to headquarters asap either Sleepless nights Dublin HQ or Belfast Soul Club HQ (weekender coming up soon) will suffice......

Social source share

Guest Russ Smith

I'm off to Bordeaux to DJ this weekend and recently played the excellent Soul weekender in La Rochelle.

Theres quality soul events all over Europe and nowhere near as many music policy restrictions, personally i find it all very refreshing .

Great to know when you take your holidays you can plan them round a soul nite or two.

Edited by Russ Smith
Social source share

Guest Matt Male

I've been DJing in Germany for ten years now, and I love it. No politics, no oldies, no newies, just good Soul and R & B.

I hope the UK remains the centre of rare soul for at least a couple more decades, although i can really see the attraction of a new(ish) and blossoming scene like the one you describe Dave with no one afraid to play anything from the last 40 odd years. That must be a nice feeling, with no fear factor for DJs and dancers alike. It'd give a whole new meaning to 'travelling' to attend only German venues in the future... unsure.gif

Social source share

I think people on the UK scene should accept the fact that as with the language, they are no longers the 'proprietors' of the genre. it's gone way beyond that now. the UK will probably remain the spiritual home, but recusants, in my opinion, should be forcibly shipped over to attend overseas venues. pith helmets & spats will be optional of course. now where's my coat?

M

Social source share

I've been to numerous soul nights in many countries and must admit that outside the UK and for what I've experienced, the Germans are high up there (imho) for the depth of their DJ's boxes and locations around their country - plus Marc's 17th anniversary soul night in Berlin this year must be the icing on their cake :)

Must say, I'm bemused with previous posts that name other countries in support of their soul scene - but then also name UK DJ's who play there as evidence :D

IMHO, the UK is in no danger of losing it's focus (if they even care :P ) due to the numbers and locations of NS nights in the UK - BUT even more so, what the uk also has is the fact that others (and themselves) follow certain DJ's or sounds that have been "played" on the NORTHERN SOUL SCENE in ..........the uk!

It reminds me how it used to frustrate us Aussies how the English there, would generally only play tunes once (or because) they became (or were) "played" on the uk scene - and I've seen it since in Europe too - althought obviously the idea of 'breaking' a sound has caught on a bit more everywhere, well since the soul internet lists grew with guidelines on DJing :lol: )

BUT Quite frankly - I don't want aaaaaaanywhere to be the headquarters of Northern Soul,

- because by having a HQ, we're also saying that NS is something like a corporation (time to duck politics again, eh? :thumbsup: ) - instead of being just 1 to 3 nights a week out for some (hopefully good) soul music.

m

Social source share

Ooops, excuse me George (and all). I only read your header which said "NS" (Northern Soul). I didn't realise you actually meant "rare soul" as you state above in your first post.

So ignore my last post, because I can't really have an opinion about 'rare soul' as I have no idea how many rare sounds the Americans still have :thumbsup:

m

ps. don't go upsetting the British - I've gotta live here!

Social source share

Too unrealistic imvho. Northern part of northern soul means north of England. Could never happen, like saying what if English language based elsewhere ..

Just my humble coat getting thoughts of course.

for once, i agree Ian :thumbsup:

to answer the first question - 'no' it would not be 'unbearable' beacuse most of us would not know what northern soul was/is. most of us are born into it from a young hatchling whether youth club/mod/mate induced/etc; without that we all would be none the wiser, so we would not even know about NS.

people here are posting saying where the scene would be big - and they are right sweden/italy etc the NS is vibrant, but it wouldnt be the same scene without the UK scene and if it was, their version of Soul Fonte would be saying right now..."what if this scene was centered outside of Italy etc etc" and someone would reply "there's a following in the UK...." etc, etc

daft question to start with imo

Social source share

Yep,

there is a soul-life outside the UK, for quite a long time, the reason why we are just about noticing each other has maybe more to do with they way we communicate and spread the word than with a scene that just seemed to be born ( for a lot of english folk)...

germany has a ever so fast growing soulscene, i know lots of really young kids who are into collecting records etc.

yes, there are some great venues, Frankfurt, Nuremberg, Hamburg, Berlin and every one of these venues has its own characetristic and charm ( also in music terms)...so does Bamberg, it's a very young weekender, compared with Nuremberg, but I have run the regular soulnight for nearly ten years now...with little publicity outside the city of Bamberg ( and why should one advertise a regular soulnight outside germany?)

Germany means to me: nearly no politics, very, very friendly people and an openminded audience...what more do you want/need?

oh, btw....the next Bamberg weekender is 2/3/4/ May 2008. Steve Guarnori, Butch, Soulsam, Lars Bulnheim, Ady Pountain, Marc Forrest, Dave Thorley, Markus Sichter, Ralf Mehnert, Andreas Dienel, myself & more behind the decks...;-) www.soul-shakers.de for further information

see ya

Malayka

Edited by malayka
Social source share

I think I'd agree with Maria [no need to apologise Northern/Rare pretty interchangeable terms] and Ian.

They say imitation is the sincerest form of flattery but it's still a mere copy. Maria pointed out that most if not all the 45s played started out over here in the clubs which I kinda figured they had but Im still open to correction if any of the jocks based elsewhere outside the UK would care to post their playlists to prove Maria and I wrong. That's not to say that jocks elsewhere are not as good as their UK counterparts or as enthusiastic and committed but Im wondering just how much of a two-way street it is.

There's been plenty of commemts about the broad musical policy adopted elsewhere mixing soul and funk which again is a good thing because that establishes a seperate identity to that over here,but to pretend it is Northern Soul scene is rather disingenuous.

Of course the scene here would be nothing without guys like Anderson etc but there were plenty of US guys into 60's soul whose influence and contribution are not recognised. However they never as far as I know claimed to be into Northern.

When I was in the USA I met some of the guys into the Pittsburgh scene, went to loads of Beach clubs and a "Dusties" do in Chicago. If you want authenticity I'd go with those everytime over some transplanted Northern event. It's like going abroad and looking for the first place that does English cooking and serves pints.

ROD

Social source share

Tx Soul Recordings dot com click here!!

Edited by SoulBoy74
Social source share

Had good nights every weekend when I was over and missing them a lot. Very right what you say above. A bit more than 2, 3 times a year though . at least once a month in Gothenburg

...and in Malmoe at least once a month too Olof. :) ( www.clubfunction.com :thumbsup: ) Plus there are regular soul clubs in Stockholm and Uppsala and the odd allnighter and weekender. Not that bad for a country with a total population of 9 million.

I can only speak for my own club and us residents in south Sweden, but we do not try to mimic the UK soul scene and we are certainly not any smart dressed (quite the opposite :lol: ) mods playing r'n'b and boogaloo. I like the UK soul scene a lot, but we want to have something different too. Something with no politics, fresh tunes and an attractive atmosphere for new blood.

>modernsoulsucks, you'll find a link to plenty of playlists in the right column on our website, will post a couple of new playlists up this week too along with pictures from last Saturday when Ian Wright (UK :D ) was over. I have to warn you though, much of it is modern soul.

Social source share

Helena, just had a quick look ay playlists. You're right it was a lot of modern soul which I am not up on but Im sure there are others on here who are and can compare. Of the 60's playlists nothing I didn't recognise. A lot of the modern was from years ago like Matt Brown and Ernest Baker. From your 3 spots I didn't know PJ City,Mae Gem and Alfie Capers. Modern guys on here may know them.

It was a mixture though with two-step/boogie/rare groove like Matt Covington 12",Sylvia Striplin,Heaven and Earth,[ I know the records cos I used to have a shop and sell this stuff] again from years ago in the UK and there seemed to be garage or YK2 soul lists as well.

So although I can't be sure re. modern I don't think there's any evidence that the Swedish scene is doing anything but mixing different styles popular over here in the past.

From the pictures you are all enjoying yourselves which is the main thing although I hope you all did your homework and tidied your room before you went out.

ROD

Social source share

Helena, just had a quick look ay playlists. You're right it was a lot of modern soul which I am not up on but Im sure there are others on here who are and can compare. Of the 60's playlists nothing I didn't recognise. A lot of the modern was from years ago like Matt Brown and Ernest Baker. From your 3 spots I didn't know PJ City,Mae Gem and Alfie Capers. Modern guys on here may know them.

It was a mixture though with two-step/boogie/rare groove like Matt Covington 12",Sylvia Striplin,Heaven and Earth,[ I know the records cos I used to have a shop and sell this stuff] again from years ago in the UK and there seemed to be garage or YK2 soul lists as well.

So although I can't be sure re. modern I don't think there's any evidence that the Swedish scene is doing anything but mixing different styles popular over here in the past.

From the pictures you are all enjoying yourselves which is the main thing although I hope you all did your homework and tidied your room before you went out.

ROD

That's the thing though, mixing different styles and putting together a slightly new concept. So what if the tunes were played in UK at some point at some club. It's not like we look at old English playlists from 20 yrs ago and choose which ones to play from that. We almost exclusively buy from American dealers and you'll probably find some more unknows in the new playlists. And our average age is 30, we're just babies really.

Noone is diminishing the UK scene in any way, and I'm sure that's were the "HQ" will remain for a very long time.

Social source share

This is where I am going to sound like a racist, I am not but I will tell the truth.

Like it or not, there are two places in the world that spawn "Youth Culture" The USA and GB full fookin stop. Japan, Europe and any other country that has a "Scene" is a poor copy of ours or the states. Why? Because their culture does not lend its self well to youthful expression, of course there are teenagers but there is a void when it comes down to angry young men in their bed room with a guitar, they do not have the "Paul Weller Syndrome". At best you will get a novelty record or a flash in the pan rarity like "Sukiyaki", "Ninety nine red balloons" and a few odds n sods coming from Australia.

Vis- -vis there is no real dance culture apart from a clumsy replication of ours, Germany is a prime example. Small dedicated group of Northernsoul fans who make your jaw drop when dancing, in a bad way!

There will never be a "HQ" of any description of any music or scene worthy of inspiration until the youth of mainland Europe really free themselves from their culture. It's very similar to Britain's youth of the early fifties discovering rock n Roll then discovering that they are teenagers, we as a nation can pin point HP and the end of national service as the point of liberation but there was no "Youth Explosion" in Europe.

List the European pop songs that have inspired any one, a very short list I can think of none? List GB's and you could fill a book!

I do not mean to cause any offence here, it is the truth. I take my hat off to the few "foreign" Soul fans who keep the flame burning but it is our flame.

Credentials: Lived in Germany for eleven years and I have been an active participant (not a born again) on the Soul and Scootering scene since 1979.

Oh and as far as "Socks n Sandals", here is me dancing at Cleethorpes complete with white socks n sandals, luckily the fashion police where off duty that weekend!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XoJNe_WTtAo

Social source share

This is where I am going to sound like a racist, I am not but I will tell the truth.

You mean " your truth" ?

Like it or not, there are two places in the world that spawn "Youth Culture" The USA and GB full fookin stop. Japan, Europe and any other country that has a "Scene" is a poor copy of ours or the states. Why? Because their culture does not lend its self well to youthful expression, of course there are teenagers but there is a void when it comes down to angry young men in their bed room with a guitar, they do not have the "Paul Weller Syndrome". At best you will get a novelty record or a flash in the pan rarity like "Sukiyaki", "Ninety nine red balloons" and a few odds n sods coming from Australia.

Vis- -vis there is no real dance culture apart from a clumsy replication of ours, Germany is a prime example. Small dedicated group of Northernsoul fans who make your jaw drop when dancing, in a bad way!

You talk a lot about "culture", culture is everything, the way people live, the way people act, the way people take something they like and convert it into something which fits in their life...consciously or not

There will never be a "HQ" of any description of any music or scene worthy of inspiration until the youth of mainland Europe really free themselves from their culture. It's very similar to Britain's youth of the early fifties discovering rock n Roll then discovering that they are teenagers, we as a nation can pin point HP and the end of national service as the point of liberation but there was no "Youth Explosion" in Europe.

List the European pop songs that have inspired any one, a very short list I can think of none? List GB's and you could fill a book!

I do not mean to cause any offence here, it is the truth. I take my hat off to the few "foreign" Soul fans who keep the flame burning but it is our flame.

you do talk about " us eurpoeans " like a shapeless bunch which is not able to create something of its own and therefore has to copy music, a dance, a philosophy...keep in mind that the music does not originate in the UK...therefore what you did with soulmusic is creating a culture, based on the music culture which came from the US

Credentials: Lived in Germany for eleven years and I have been an active participant (not a born again) on the Soul and Scootering scene since 1979.

What do you mean with this? Maybe you just went to the wrong clubs...and yes, the scene is younger, but does that mean anything?

Oh and as far as "Socks n Sandals", here is me dancing at Cleethorpes complete with white socks n sandals, luckily the fashion police where off duty that weekend!

Nice socks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XoJNe_WTtAo

Edited by malayka
Social source share

You are very mistaken by saying we based The Northernsoul Scene on a culture from the states; we based Northernsoul music and made a youth culture. The youth culture or scene called northernsoul started in my back yard with a music that was of course originally from the states.

We did not shadow or copy a culture we, GB formed it into our own and gave it a fashion, a way of living and a flavour that far exceeds its origin. It became ingrained into the lives of large group of people who formed a sub culture.

We do have our fair share of UK Soul records, not sure if there are any European ones, apart from a few that have been translated or sang in local tongues.

We did this with Italian Scooters both the Mod scene and the soul scene are ours but we have others, Punk, Teddy Boys, New romantics, Skinheads, Goths, Chavs, there are many more iconic Great British youth cults but none from Europe?

Can you name one European sub or youth culture that isn't a copy of some one else? No you can't because there aren't any. I am not saying you are unimaginative I am saying your culture does not allow youthful expression, not my fault but it is a massive cultural difference that separates the UK from main land Europe.

Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it's true and just because I say it doesn't mean I'm a racist!!!

If you are suggesting as well that I have been to the wrong clubs and that I have some how missed a vibrant European Soul scene than that is just a cop out.

The scenes exist like this.. First you have a small hand full of well informed soul fans who collect, visit the UK, DJ at their events and even organise them. Then you get a small number of inquisitive people who like the sounds and love the dancing. Then you get what I call "The meat and potatoes" these are the majority of young students and the like out for a good time, not really caring too much about the music or dancing. These can usually be seen holding a bottle of the latest alcohol pop or half a beer and launching them selves across the dance floor in a drunken state whilst spilling the drinks on to the dance floor. Sad yes, true yes.

You do not respect the dance floor and the majority do not respect the music.

In the UK we revere the dance floor and worship the music, that's not me making things up that's me pointing out the reality of European Northernsoul.

I didn't say it was bad, I just told it like it is.

What did you think to my shorts? I still have nice legs but the beer belly kinda takes the shine of them :-)

Social source share

X Hi Sharon hope all well over there. he he hmm can you not overdo northern soul ?? its just too good :) . Had good nights every weekend when I was over and missing them a lot. Very right what you say above. A bit more than 2, 3 times a year though . at least once a month in Gothenburg

I´m soon starting a work ( RIP Freedom, Hello Prostitution ) that will give me the chance to travel more as I´m off for 6 days in a row every 2nd week incl weekend so hope to get some sprung wooden soon :rolleyes:

Hiya mate! bet you're missing the brown ale :( and Asda by now!!

Mr B and I may be coming over to Gothenburg in November....send us some details would ya?

Cheers, Reggie x

Edited by reg
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert