Bitchdj

• Replies 122
  • Views 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Got to disagree Bearsey! - Show & Tell is the one for me :wicked:

Re The Snake... when Al did it at Cleethorpes Weekender a few years back, with the extra verse thrown in for good measure, I thought it was brill. Just my opinion of course..................

Steve

Show and Tell good but Who Could Be Loving You takes some beating IMHO.

Rob Thomas had the acetate of the Snake, that had extra verse(s) in if I remember rightly.

Gotta agree with other comments, might be a bit cheesy as some would say, yoof club shite, sick of hearing etc etc but The Snake ain't dross. Theres far worse out there!

Edited by chalky
Social source share

Guest Glynn Jones

how many of you Snake-haters would get up and dance to it at a drunken wedding reception? I bet you'd all be spinning and doing back drops and all the aunties and uncles and grandads would make a circle around you and you'd bathe in the glory :wicked:

My daughter asked me to do a cd for her wedding. Guess what the second track is(after Do I Love You)?

May have to try a vodka or two before dancing to it though. :D

Social source share

Al Wilson's best record has to be "Help Me" on Wand. Except that's a different Al Wilson I think. But it's still great.

p.s. how many of you Snake-haters would get up and dance to it at a drunken wedding reception? I bet you'd all be spinning and doing back drops and all the aunties and uncles and grandads would make a circle around you and you'd bathe in the glory :wicked:

What about 'Show and tell ' and 'Touch and go' ??

Good tunes.

Gary

Social source share

Guest mel brat

thought i had nodded off on my sofa last nite and was having a nightmare when i heard al wilson -the snake...on a bloody advert...is there no escape from this dross???... :lol:

cookie :thumbup:

Hmm, yeah. I never really took to that record myself. Given the lyrics though I reckon they should use as a soundtrack for a Party Political Broadcast (any party!)

PS. I reckon Al Wilson's most soulful recording is definitely "Keep On Loving Me" issued here on Bell (flip to the dreary "La La Peace Song"), but the couple on Playboy are pretty nice.

Edited by mel brat
Social source share

Dont worry Mal, you cant lose what you never had.

BTW Mark is bringing the CDs down to the 100 on saturday. Are you going? If so he hasnt been able to copy them, if you can do the honours and send them bacl to me, that would be grand. (Sorry for going off topic.)

The Snake rools! As does fortune Teller, and Hide Nor Hair. Songs with stories Rool!

Agreed Mikey, agreed.....(& non-premiership footie too obviously! :laugh: ) I'm for anythin that gets young people into the scene anyway!

Social source share

Mmmm, the Snake...well I have danced to it, MANY moons ago (and I think possibly once at somewhere like South or Funkademia in Manchester on a p**sed up night out but that doesn't count...) but it doesn't really get played anywhere apart from local type oldies nights anymore does it? Actually as a matter of fact, funnily enough, the last time I heard it was at a do in droylsden...Johnny Beggs played it (accompanied by lots of swearing) under pressure from some locals.... :rolleyes:

My favourite Al tracks are Touch and Go and Be concerned thumbsup.gif

It still wouldn't make me buy Lambrini though....yeuck ph34r.gif if you want to get squiffy for cheap you're better off with a two litre bottle of white lightening :thumbsup: and that will definitely get the oil stains off your drive :unsure:

Edited by reg
Social source share

Seen dafter things catch on on't Soul scene :)

Toss up between some young trendy honeys dancing to the snake or some of them awlder circle skirt birds stomping to the Champion...hmmmm lemme think about that :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Not dross, technically it could be classed as good record, just not for me.

Social source share

thought i had nodded off on my sofa last nite and was having a nightmare when i heard al wilson -the snake...on a bloody advert...is there no escape from this dross???... :thumbsup:

cookie :)

Just a general question relating to this thread (and similar ones on soul source)...why do people slag off tracks that are such a part of their youth?

O.k, so alot of people who've been on the scene a while are fed up with hearing this and other tracks (Frank Wilson springs to mind as a similar example) and maybe wouldn't dance to it anymore. But just because you've heard a soul record a thousand times, does that automatically make it dross?

Whilst I personally prefer to go to a soul/RnB night and hear mostly sounds I don't know (after all, that's how we all progress in our musical knowledge), I still have the utmost respect for the sounds that got me into this scene, which includes The Snake - after all, if it wasn't for the accessible sounds like this that set my youthful pulse racing I wouldn't be listening to the rarer stuff now that still gives me that same kick aged 40!

Just a suggestion for those of you out there seeking a different slant on 'The Snake' - check out the Oscar Brown Junior version - a regular play at Beat Club here in Scarborough!

Social source share

Guest TonyCrampton

Just a general question relating to this thread (and similar ones on soul source)...why do people slag off tracks that are such a part of their youth?

O.k, so alot of people who've been on the scene a while are fed up with hearing this and other tracks (Frank Wilson springs to mind as a similar example) and maybe wouldn't dance to it anymore. But just because you've heard a soul record a thousand times, does that automatically make it dross?

Whilst I personally prefer to go to a soul/RnB night and hear mostly sounds I don't know (after all, that's how we all progress in our musical knowledge), I still have the utmost respect for the sounds that got me into this scene, which includes The Snake - after all, if it wasn't for the accessible sounds like this that set my youthful pulse racing I wouldn't be listening to the rarer stuff now that still gives me that same kick aged 40!

Just a suggestion for those of you out there seeking a different slant on 'The Snake' - check out the Oscar Brown Junior version - a regular play at Beat Club here in Scarborough!

Good call Ed, It all gets a bit to serious sometimes. The snake was a good fun record at the time and I'm sure myself included everyone has had a good o'l jump around to it (even if it was under the influence of alcohol!)

For me going to a club is all about having a good time, hearing music that I love.It does'nt matter if I've heard it a hundred times before. As long as I'm with good company and the beers flowing then thats all that matters.Being to analytical and worrying if the record thats playing is an o.g or boot can bring a downer on the whole night.Its the sound thats important.

Thats my opinion anyway,I'm sure lots will disagree.Which is fine cause thats what these forums are all about.

The Oscar Brown cut is excellent.Also as I said before,check out the Johnny Rivers version on You Tube.

Cheers Tony.

Social source share

Guest WPaulVanDyk

i love the track and it's a great oldie. it was one of the first ever Northern tracks i ever heard and liked that when my cousin had a 18th birthsay and Nigel was DJing who does Northern aswell played Frank Wilson so at time i didn't know him very well and i asked for the Snake to be played.

Still is a great tune to me and sing a long

Social source share

It still wouldn't make me buy Lambrini though....yeuck :( if you want to get squiffy for cheap you're better off with a two litre bottle of white lightening :yes: and that will definitely get the oil stains off your drive :D

My local Indian takeaway gives a free bottle of Lambrini with every meal....... I always thought it was too drink, all these years of buying stain removers and not realising they supply one with the meal! :thumbsup:

you never know lambrini could be great at removing curry stains too......not that i ever miss my mouth..... :D .....

cookie :thumbup:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert