Bitchdj

• Replies 122
  • Views 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest chorleybloke

Come on then who has danced to the SNAKE ?

i have and loads more people have ,cracking tune in its day ,so why slag it of you wanker.gif:lol::yes:

At the Irish Club down under last month we had a bunch of expats from Wigan came in for the first time even though they'd been living in Perth for 8 years. Guess what was the first record they requested - yep, said reptile. They eventually wore me down & I played it - to a floor rammed with folk who I figured for purists. Next request was for the Joker - now that's a totally different kettle of fish...

Cheers

Pete

Social source share

Well, I like The Bloody Snake and I'm very proud of the fact that it's coming out on a Kent CD, for the first time ever, in January 2008, along with 21 other jolly good 60s and early 70s Al Wilson recordings for Soul City and Carousel...

...so there! :lol:

Will it include his version of Do What You Gotta Do? It was the original I think, well before Nina Simone or the Four Tops.

Social source share

Correct me if I'm wrong :yes: about what? no right or wrong as theres no rules :lol:

Its all about the scoooters and music ? No its all about the scooters...

Not how old the followers are? true but in time if no youngsters come in to it what happens then?

I have no problem with any age group doing what they want.. but I think after a while youngsters won't get in to it because to hang around with people older than your parents isn't a good thing.. that goes for any scene.. isn't the rockin scene dead now or close to it.. proberly because they are an older generation than most soulies.

And don't the scooterists mostly finish their journies at soul do's? No some of my Skinhead mates Hate Soul so they go to Ska Do's - some mod mates don't like the Northern Rooms incase 70's and modern gets played... some are intrested in other types of music... look at the Happy House scooter club a few years a go (5 years ago) they was in to Rave or some thing not really sure.. didn't Mersey have a rave room at one time..

I even know people that go on rallies and just go to the pub as they are only there to ride there scooters and catch up with mates..

I even have mates that go to rallies and don't leave the campsites as thats what they enjoy they don't even listern to one record all weekend..

Edited by mischief
Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Will it include his version of Do What You Gotta Do? It was the original I think, well before Nina Simone or the Four Tops.

It was indeed the original, and will indeed be on the CD, as will every single one of Al's other Soul City recordings...

Social source share

QUOTE(Madmandy @ Sep 19 2007, 04:56 PM) post_snapback.gifCorrect me if I'm wrong :hypo: about what? no right or wrong as theres no rules :yes:

Its all about the scoooters and music ? No its all about the scooters...

Not how old the followers are? true but in time if no youngsters come in to it what happens then? we wither and die!!!!

I have no problem with any age group doing what they want.. but I think after a while youngsters won't get in to it because to hang around with people older than your parents isn't a good thing.. that goes for any scene.. isn't the rockin scene dead now or close to it.. proberly because they are an older generation than most soulies. yeah but they look silly !! :lol:

And don't the scooterists mostly finish their journies at soul do's? No some of my Skinhead mates Hate Soul so they go to Ska Do's - some mod mates don't like the Northern Rooms incase 70's and modern gets played... some are intrested in other types of music... look at the Happy House scooter club a few years a go (5 years ago) they was in to Rave or some thing not really sure.. didn't Mersey have a rave room at one time..

I even know people that go on rallies and just go to the pub as they are only there to ride there scooters and catch up with mates..

I even have mates that go to rallies and don't leave the campsites as thats what they enjoy they don't even listern to one record all weekend.. I apologise theres more to life at the end of the road than a N soul do :lol:

Edited by Madmandy
Social source share

:ohmy::ohmy:

I'll tell him you said that :P

QoFxx

Its ok chrissie its what i expect from a wannabe Chav, put it this way, you dont see me out and about wearing a chessecutter (flat cap) and loads of bling, come to think of it i own none of either, but Mischief on the other hand :lol::lol:

on a serious note, myself and Mischief were having a chat last year at Hemsby scooter rally when one of the DJs played The Snake and from nowhere the floor filled so fast with so many they couldnt all get on the dance floor which may i add is a bloody good size, yes it can get a bit tiresome but everyone at some stage has danced to it and i would wager any soulie that they know at least half the lyrics to it too

Social source share

Guest andrew bin

the only reason they used the Sanke to advertise lambrini is because the stuff tastes like Snake Piss (so i'm told) :ohmy:

and as my good mate nick says "it's not wine it's tart fuel" :ohmy:

Social source share

Guest Tim aka Bob

Come on then who has danced to the SNAKE ?

i have and loads more people have ,cracking tune in its day ,so why slag it of you wanker.gif:ohmy::ohmy:

Me!! 33 years ago (old b*****d!).....brill sound!!!!! :lol:

Social source share

the holocaust didn't happen. US troops didn't commit atrocities in Vietnam, the CIA didn't topple Allende & the snake was never ever a popular record at all-nighters in the mid 70's. what's more, neither is it a soul record & al wilson is the white al wilson from canned heat, we all know that.

Social source share

well lots of differing opinions :P ...but one we all agree on lambrini is tart fuel lol :lol::lol: .......but a friend just informs me it removes oil stains from drives ( a useful tip )....she knows this after coming home from a nite out and dropping a bottle of the afore mentioned lambrini..in her tart fuelled state :ohmy:

cookie :ohmy:

Social source share

i dont think i have ever heard the snake at a proper soul do. heard it at retro/mod/scooter/student nights loads tho.

sane

A "proper soul do"? :D:rolleyes::D I'm gonna have to go to one of them!

Shane you should have been in the Beachcomber after Wigan in 74 when the Snake was played! Unbelievable!! They also used to test new sounds in there. First time I ever heard Dena Barnes was in there also.

Glad to see people sticking up for the music though. No matter how many times a record is played class is permanent, rarity can be just a moment in time.

Look at Duke Browner. Well rare until a 500 count box turned up in a warehouse. That was Searling I believe.

Tony, is Now I Know What Love Is, and Help Me on the Al Wilson CD?

Social source share

MUST ADMIT,IM NOT KEEN ON HEARING IT @ SOUL DO THESE DAYS.

BUT WE ALL STARTED OFF IN NORTHERN LISTENING TO IT IN DAYS GONE BY.

HEARING IT @ EVERY SCOOTER RALLY/DO FOR 20YEARS NON STOP(ive been to 100s in that time) KILLED IT FOR ME.

BUT DONT THE GIRLS LIKE A BIT OF THE OLD SNAKE,AFTER A FEW GLASSES OF WINE :rolleyes:

Social source share

MUST ADMIT,IM NOT KEEN ON HEARING IT @ SOUL DO THESE DAYS.

BUT WE ALL STARTED OFF IN NORTHERN LISTENING TO IT IN DAYS GONE BY.

HEARING IT @ EVERY SCOOTER RALLY/DO FOR 20YEARS NON STOP(ive been to 100s in that time) KILLED IT FOR ME.

BUT DONT THE GIRLS LIKE A BIT OF THE OLD SNAKE,AFTER A FEW GLASSES OF WINE :rolleyes:

aye we do .PMSL !!.....Oh sorry its "speak like a pirate day" not speak like a jock day !! :D

Just goin off the topic a bit ....anyone seen the new orange ad with Nancy Sinatra 's

"the end"

Absolute class tune :D

Social source share

the holocaust didn't happen. US troops didn't commit atrocities in Vietnam, the CIA didn't topple Allende & the snake was never ever a popular record at all-nighters in the mid 70's. what's more, neither is it a soul record & al wilson is the white al wilson from canned heat, we all know that.

Hmmm not sure I knew that Macca. Must admit I haven't been able to listen to the Snake ever since about 1975 - a truly attrocious record, and have never heard it out....I am sure that if I had, any DJ playing it would have got an Alex Ferguson "hairdryer" "word in his / her shell like" from me :rolleyes:

Anyway how's the Knight of the Garter thing going? Are those metal chains you have to wear starting to get a bit heavy yet? :D

Also Is Felix still about? Sam wanted to know if our "services" were required next year in Green Spain.

Steve

Social source share

Well i for one danced to it in a slightly drunken manner the other weekend at our local soul do. First heard it 20 odd years ago, proberly one of those tunes that got me into northern in the first place. And if i'm still about in another 20 years i'll proberly get on the floor for a quick stagger around.

Social source share

Guest stash313

chris evans is about as funny as a burning orphanage, however as he played the snake tonight on rad 2 he now becomes as funny as pikeys moving in next door

Bit harsh on the man isn't it?

Personally I think he's done bloody well and has freshened up a tired evening on radio 2 over the past year or so, and the bloke is funny.

Look forward to that along with Stuart Maconie and Ken Bruce.

Radio 2 the thinking man's station...

Social source share

Bit harsh on the man isn't it?

Personally I think he's done bloody well and has freshened up a tired evening on radio 2 over the past year or so, and the bloke is funny.

Look forward to that along with Stuart Maconie and Ken Bruce.

Radio 2 the thinking man's station...

Funny ? Not in my book,more like bloody rude how he talks over the records he plays.At least Johnny Walker only used to waffle between records (mainly).Unless of course you mean funny peculiar? :D

Back on topic,Iv'e been on SS for nearly 3 years & still don't get the obsession with The Snake & Do I Love You.Overplayed,undoubtably-Poor records :rolleyes: ..............IMHO

Social source share

Hmmm not sure I knew that Macca. Must admit I haven't been able to listen to the Snake ever since about 1975 - a truly attrocious record, and have never heard it out....I am sure that if I had, any DJ playing it would have got an Alex Ferguson "hairdryer" "word in his / her shell like" from me :rolleyes:

Anyway how's the Knight of the Garter thing going? Are those metal chains you have to wear starting to get a bit heavy yet? :D

Also Is Felix still about? Sam wanted to know if our "services" were required next year in Green Spain.

Steve

Its in me playbox for Letchworth jan 18th Steve just for you, you couldnt be angry with me could you and give me the hairdryer cos i have no hair :D

Social source share

thought i had nodded off on my sofa last nite and was having a nightmare when i heard al wilson -the snake...on a bloody advert...is there no escape from this dross???... :D

cookie :ohmy:

def not dross,...ok! some of us may have been hearing this for a good 30 years or more,

but there are people out there of all ages,just into the scene,or just getting into it...and

it is , a out an out dancer smile.gif .....long live the Snake

now the Flasher :D ....dear god in heaven !!

right im off

Social source share

thought i had nodded off on my sofa last nite and was having a nightmare when i heard al wilson -the snake...on a bloody advert...is there no escape from this dross???... :D

cookie :wicked:

Like it or loathe, its here to stay 4ever.

I can dance to it, I know the words, and Id rather have this anyday compared to 3rd finger left hand, Jimmy Mack, or 9 x outta 10.

Anyway its in the top 500 so it must be good.

Ed

Social source share

Like it or loathe, its here to stay 4ever.

I can dance to it, I know the words, and Id rather have this anyday compared to 3rd finger left hand, Jimmy Mack, or 9 x outta 10.

Anyway its in the top 500 so it must be good.

Ed

Ed

I wonder what todays top 500 would look like voted for by SS members

But Im in agreement with you on the all 3 above mentioned!

Mand

Social source share

Al Wilson's best record has to be "Help Me" on Wand. Except that's a different Al Wilson I think. But it's still great.

p.s. how many of you Snake-haters would get up and dance to it at a drunken wedding reception? I bet you'd all be spinning and doing back drops and all the aunties and uncles and grandads would make a circle around you and you'd bathe in the glory :wicked:

Social source share

Al Wilson's best record has to be "Help Me" on Wand. Except that's a different Al Wilson I think. But it's still great.

p.s. how many of you Snake-haters would get up and dance to it at a drunken wedding reception? I bet you'd all be spinning and doing back drops and all the aunties and uncles and grandads would make a circle around you and you'd bathe in the glory :D

got to disagree Pete, Al Wilsons best song ever was - Love you girl :shhh: and if anyone has a copy they want to sell :wicked:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert