The Dells...will They Ever Come Back? Please Help

Mark Jones

I'm sure all of those of you remember who were there, what a wonderful unforgettable night that was, but I really need to see these guys again before Junior and the boys are too old and can't do it anymore. No offence but this is a point of fact, if we want to see our hero's it's gotta be now or never!!

Did email the Dells' agent a while back and got a prompt response saying they are still regularly touring in the States and a certain Mr Searling was in contact and was possibly arranging something in the UK. But that was early in 2006 and still nothing.

I really need to know if they have any plans to tour here, otherwise I'm off to the States to see them. Eight years later...I just have to see them one more time and then can die happy!

Guys.....either get on a plane with me or start a petition to get them here...in fact thinking of remortaging the house to arrange it myself. Look...it's about seeing The Dells...sad but true the likes of them don't exist anymore...this really is our last change to see the best ever male soul group (open for debate I know but well up there) of all time.

Yes a bit tipsy whilst typing this but it just exaggerates the passion of what i feel about seeing the Dells again.

Old cliche but but you will never see a male group of artists of the same quality ever and we really need to get this sorted soon.

Ok...I've done my preaching...time for equally passionate replies pease!!

Mark

Edited by soulechoes
Social source share

• Replies 20
  • Views 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

I'm sure all of those of you remember who were there, what a wonderful unforgettable night that was, but I really need to see these guys again before Junior and the boys are too old and can't do it anymore. No offence but this is a point of fact, if we want to see our hero's it's gotta be now or never!!

Did email the Dells' agent a while back and got a prompt response saying they are still regularly touring in the States and a certain Mr Searling was in contact and was possibly arranging something in the UK. But that was early in 2006 and still nothing.

I really need to know if they have any plans to tour here, otherwise I'm off to the States to see them. Nine years later...I just have to see them one more time and then can die happy!

Guys.....either get on a plane with me or start a petition to get them here...in fact thinking of remortaging the house to arrange it myself. Look...it's about seeing The Dells...sad but true the likes of them don't exist anymore...this really is our last change to see the best ever male soul group (open for debate I know but well up there) of all time.

Yes a bit tipsy whilst typing this but it just exaggerates the passion of what i feel about seeing the Dells again.

Old cliche but but you will never see a male group of artists of the same quality ever and we really need to get this sorted soon.

Mark

Agree.....that night in Stoke when the Dells came on stage and did their thang was as f**kin brilliant as it gets......I saw more than one "top name" in tears he was so overcome by it :wicked: and I and plenty of others were in total awe of these giants of music. I think the biggest inhibitor to getting them back though is the cost - seem to remember Burton telling me it cost him c. 35k to bring them all over, which means you need 1,500 at £25 each just to pay for the Dells. Now here's the rub - the hairies will easily shell out to £75-100+ to see artists like Led Zep, Collins, Stewart, Rolling Stones etc....so I think it is perfectly reasonable for tickets for the Dells to be more than £25 if it makes it viable. I'd pay £75 to see them in concert, and I know there are plenty of others who would too. I'd love to see them play more of their slower stuff too - "Wear it on your face" ??, I'm more of a "Give your baby a Standing Ovation" man myself - but you know that :huh: and I know that they need to do the northern to appeal to the broadest base.

Yup remortgage yer house and bring em backplease I say.:thumbup:

Steve

Social source share

I really need to know if they have any plans to tour here, otherwise I'm off to the States to see them. Nine years later...I just have to see them one more time and then can die happy!

Mark

Yes, when all is said and done, I believe the Dells should be regarded as the greatest RnB/Soul male vocal group of all time, even ahead of the Temptations.

That estimation is based on all possible criteria such as: quality and diversity of the group's recorded work, number of hits, influence, longevity etc etc

My all time top ten of RnB/Soul vocal groups goes something like this:

1 Dells

2 Temptations

3 Drifters

4 Impressions

5 Four Tops

6 Isley Brothers

7 Coasters

8 O'Jays

9 Spinners

10 Manhattans

Honourable mentions to the Dramatics, Blue Notes, Whispers, Platters, Intruders, Delfonics, Chi Lites.

Social source share

Yes, when all is said and done, I believe the Dells should be regarded as the greatest RnB/Soul male vocal group of all time, even ahead of the Temptations.

That estimation is based on all possible criteria such as: quality and diversity of the group's recorded work, number of hits, influence, longevity etc etc

1 Dells

2 Temptations

3 Drifters

4 Impressions

5 Four Tops

6 Isley Brothers

7 Coasters

8 O'Jays

9 Spinners

10 Manhattans

Honourable mentions to the Dramatics, Blue Notes, Whispers, Platters, Intruders, Delfonics, Chi Lites.

When it comes to live acts, after the Dells I would have to say the 2nd best group I've seen live was The Originals at The Ritz for Richard's 50th - another awesome night.

Social source share

When it comes to live acts, after the Dells I would have to say the 2nd best group I've seen live was The Originals at The Ritz for Richard's 50th - another awesome night.

Very interesting too that most people who were regulars at the Torch have no hesitation in saying that the Stylistics were the best live act to have ever appeared at the Torch amongst many great acts.

Social source share

Was at the night but if you can remember marvin junior had a walking stick and wasnt getting about to easily,still managed to do his moves etc,to me there were off the radar and that night is without a doubt the highlight of my involvement with the scene.

I really cant see them coming back over !

highlight of the night was give my baby a standing ovation.

baz a

Social source share

A fantastic night it was at Stoke probably the best live gig I've been to.

Was lucky enough to see them again a couple of years later ( in Oakland) it was the same show but without the northern numbers !

Blew me away all over again tho...............as did their "support" acts, Bloodstone and The Emotions !!!!

Marvelous Marvin was still having problems and in fact did a good part of the gig on a stool

Mark, I spoke with the Dells bass player in Feb and he told me they always play in Chcago at a "food and music" festival every June.

Together with lots of other Chicago soul acts............maybe worth checking out ?

Think Mr Burton actually lost money on the Stoke gig so think carefully before re mortgaging ! :wicked:

Cheers Paul

Social source share

Think Mr Burton actually lost money on the Stoke gig so think carefully before re mortgaging ! :lol:

Cheers Paul

Yeah he told me that too. One real issue is do you put em on in concert at a venue, or put em on at a northern night?

I really think they'd be better in concert with a support act at this point. I think you'd attract an audience that don't neccesarily go to northern do's.

If those costs are still accurate, then with venue, equipment, staff, proper promotion etc you wouldn't get much change out of 100k. :g:

But it would still be worth it to see these top boys again :wicked:

Social source share

1 Dells

2 Temptations

3 Drifters

4 Impressions

5 Four Tops

6 Isley Brothers

7 Coasters

8 O'Jays

9 Spinners

10 Manhattans

Yeah!, Sunnysoul! You are a kind of "soul twin" of mine on our vocal group favorites! (and also on the "honorable mentions"). My top 10 are almost the same in almost the same order, only with two substitutions: The Drifters by Blue Magic and The Manhattans by The Futures. As for the special mentions, I could place in The Drifters and The Manhatans and, in addition, the same ones of your list and Little Anthony & The Imperials and The Miracles (with or without Smokey).

Recently, I have had a very good surprise. I tought "Teaser" was originally recorded by The Trammps on "The Whole World's Dancing" album, until recently, when in the blog of another Soul Source forum member, I discovered that the original is from teh Mighty, Mighty DELLS! (what a powerful voice by Marvin Junior on this tune). There is the complete LP "They Said We Could'nt Do It, But..." produced by Norman Harris, downloadable:

https://www.raiderofthelostark.blogspot.com

Social source share

Guest lifeandsoul

I'm sure i heard or read somewhere that they wouldn't come to the UK again, think mainly it was for health reasons.

Honestly can't remember the details and i might have it wrong, possibly unable to fly as one of them has a pacemaker or something.

Happy to be proved wrong.

they played NBAF in Atlanta recently

Social source share

Very interesting too that most people who were regulars at the Torch have no hesitation in saying that the Stylistics were the best live act to have ever appeared at the Torch amongst many great acts.

In agreement .....

I was one of the many regulars who saw The Stylistics at The Torch on Saturday , 28th of October , 1972 .....

When Chris Burton announced that he was to put the group on , it was received with disbelief that he was to do so , as the group were the opposite , and to many of us - myself included - was totally out of context with / to the acts that Chris usually put on at the all - nighters ...

Any apprehensions that anyone had beforehand, soon disappeared when the group went on stage and sang ....

The reception the group got before , during , and after their performance was terrific .....

In respect of their act , sheer brilliance is one phrase that comes to mind ......

I somehow do not think to put a group on of a similar nature / style to The Stylistics , at an all - nighter these days would be greeted with such an appreciative reception ....

In respect of / to The Dells , I sincerely hope that they will return again to these shores ....

I simply love The Dells , I always have since the first time of hearing them .

Malc Burton

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

Agree with Steve G.................totally unforgettable, and I want to see them again.

Incidentally, another thing about putting an act of this stature on..............it brings people to venues that you don't get to see too often...................for instance, "Record Corner" Terry Davies was there that night and I don't think I've spoke to him since that night.

These are good nights for lots of reasons!!

Those of you recently reading All Our Yesterdays will know I've been in the loft, so this is good timing...................

post-4568-1189933434_thumb.jpg

post-4568-1189933421_thumb.jpg

And not forgetting Otis............

post-4568-1189933477_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

Mark R

post-4568-1189933421_thumb.jpg

post-4568-1189933434_thumb.jpg

post-4568-1189933477_thumb.jpg

Social source share

I really think they'd be better in concert with a support act at this point. I think you'd attract an audience that don't neccesarily go to northern do's.

If those costs are still accurate, then with venue, equipment, staff, proper promotion etc you wouldn't get much change out of 100k.
:)

I'm with you on this Mr G..................how about a Chicago special with Gene Chandler and Jerry Butler ?

:)
..........................................shall we have a whip round
:lol:
?

Cheers Paul

Social source share

Rob Wrigley might be the one to answer this - remember asking him at one of the weekenders and him sayin "Just to much to bring em across", I am sure if it was within range Dickie would have put them on before now, I am like the rest of the board just the best act I have ever seen, although The Masqueraders on the Saturday Afternoon at Prestatyn runs a very close second

still a cryin shame the promoter lost money on the dells,

£125 to see Led Zepplin??? I should coco

Social source share

I got a Dells live from New York City dvd a couple of months ago, if I can find a teenager later I ll try and upload a clip.

I know it s not the same but it s its a good substitute to flying to the states to see them again(and a bit cheaper:))

I came away from Stoke wishing they had done more.... so many tracks I would of liked to have heard.

The dvd has

There is

The Love we had stays on my mind

Oh what a night

Always together

Give your baby a standing ovation

A Heart is a House for love

Tico on trumpet

Stay in my corner

Social source share

I got a Dells live from New York City dvd a couple of months ago, if I can find a teenager later I ll try and upload a clip.

I know it s not the same but it s its a good substitute to flying to the states to see them again(and a bit cheaper:))

I came away from Stoke wishing they had done more.... so many tracks I would of liked to have heard.

The dvd has

There is

The Love we had stays on my mind

Oh what a night

Always together

Give your baby a standing ovation

A Heart is a House for love

Tico on trumpet

Stay in my corner

Just checking - it was actually 1999 - July 17th - amongst others the songs performed included -

'Wear It On your Face'

'A Heart is A House For Love'

'Always Together' (awesome this one)

'Run for cover'

'Give My Baby A Standing Ovation'

'Oh what a Night'

'There Is'

'Stay In My Corner'

A fantastic memory that could never be re-created - not 8 years on.

I certainly would not want to see them in a concert format - Soul artists are just not suited to that - you always end up short changed. Went to see Al Green at Manchester with Candi Staton earlier this year and was back on the street at 10:20 wondering what to do - was back in Middlesbrough before 12!! Best part of 40 quid too :ohmy:

Regarding the night - was I imagining things or did Dean Courtney turn up and sing 'I'll Always Need You ' unaccompanied ?

Mike

Social source share

Just checking - it was actually 1999 - July 17th - amongst others the songs performed included -

'Wear It On your Face'

'A Heart is A House For Love'

'Always Together' (awesome this one)

'Run for cover'

'Give My Baby A Standing Ovation'

'Oh what a Night'

'There Is'

'Stay In My Corner'

A fantastic memory that could never be re-created - not 8 years on.

I certainly would not want to see them in a concert format - Soul artists are just not suited to that -

Regarding the night - was I imagining things or did Dean Courtney turn up and sing 'I'll Always Need You ' unaccompanied ?

Mike

Mr Courtney did I"ll Always Need You" accapella but was accompnied by 1500 or so soul fans !

Thats precisely the reason I prefer soul artists in a concert format...............can"t stand "sigalonga northern"

Cheers Paul

Edited by soul shrews
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert